Team-BHP - The International Driving License (IDL) / International Driving Permit (IDP) Thread
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Route / Travel Queries (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/)
-   -   The International Driving License (IDL) / International Driving Permit (IDP) Thread (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/5765-international-driving-license-idl-international-driving-permit-idp-thread-11.html)

The standards for the International Driver's License were defined by the United Nations Conference on Road Traffic, Final Act held in the year 1968. According to this law, the International Driver's License is defined mainly as a document:

• That states the main information contained in the Original Driver's License in English or French.
• That has the photo and signature (or thumbprint) of the owner of the vehicle.
• That states the categories of vehicles for which the Original Driver's License is valid.
• That states the restrictive conditions of driving and terms of disqualifications.
International Driver's License consists of two parts. The first part consists of a booklet which states all the standards approved by the latest UN convention and a plastic identity card. The genuineness of the information on the plastic card is ascertained by the presence of a hologram.

How to obtain an International Driving License

International driving permits can be had of the various zonal transport offices. This permit is valid up to one year. One is required to get his/her license from the country he/she is visiting within a period of one year. Following documents are required while applying for an International Driving Permit:
• Valid Driving License issued
• Valid Passport
• Valid Visa
• Photocopy of address proof (attested)
• Photocopy of Birth Certificate (attested)
• Fee of Rs. 200/-

just walk into your local RTO office and enquire on the time it would take. its most probably 3 days! but you also needs to have your visa and your passsport when you walk in there to show as proof. they will need a photocopy for their filing process.

Is anyone familiar with the licence requirements for driving in Sweden for a period of four months ?

Hi Members of knowledge bank,
I
s it compulsory to have a Visa to get the International Driving License? Some people are going for work as a driver. For them is it not a prerequisite to get IDL. If that is the case is there any other way to get IDL with out Visa.

Quote:

Originally Posted by amritnoronha (Post 1524291)
The standards for the International Driver's License were defined by the United Nations Conference on Road Traffic, Final Act held in the year 1968. According to this law, the International Driver's License is defined mainly as a document:

• That states the main information contained in the Original Driver's License in English or French.
• That has the photo and signature (or thumbprint) of the owner of the vehicle.
• That states the categories of vehicles for which the Original Driver's License is valid.
• That states the restrictive conditions of driving and terms of disqualifications.
International Driver's License consists of two parts. The first part consists of a booklet which states all the standards approved by the latest UN convention and a plastic identity card. The genuineness of the information on the plastic card is ascertained by the presence of a hologram.

How to obtain an International Driving License

International driving permits can be had of the various zonal transport offices. This permit is valid up to one year. One is required to get his/her license from the country he/she is visiting within a period of one year. Following documents are required while applying for an International Driving Permit:
• Valid Driving License issued
• Valid Passport
• Valid Visa
• Photocopy of address proof (attested)
• Photocopy of Birth Certificate (attested)
• Fee of Rs. 200/-

just walk into your local RTO office and enquire on the time it would take. its most probably 3 days! but you also needs to have your visa and your passsport when you walk in there to show as proof. they will need a photocopy for their filing process.

I'd like to know the present status of address rules for an IDP. My passport is in my Chennai address, but my license is in my Trichy Address.
I will be travelling to Australia.
Will this cause any problems in my application for IDP?
Should I apply for my IDP in Trichy or Chennai?
One more thing - I've seen several websites that offer IDP and you can pay by paypal or CC.
Are the IDPs issues from online websites as valid as IDP issued by an RTO in India?

Last summers i went to Seattle with a IDL but was told that i need to go to their driving authority and get it attested after giving an exam as WA does not recognize them.
Why is it that some places honour the IDL while others dont?
Also what are these:
International Driver Document - Welcome Page
Order International translation of drivers license ( driving licence, driving license ) online!

Guys,
I went through the various DMV sites of several states in the US and found that Maryland needs an IDP.
Taking no chances, I got my IDP today---cost me Rs 650 and another 50 for the medical certificate. It is valid only for a year---in fact this is the 3rd IDP in the past 10 years---never put the previous 2 to use.
But the process is quite cumbersome, as detailed below:-
  1. Drove to RTA, Khairatabad, located 2 kms from my house with all docs like DL, Passport, Visa, photos etc
  2. Parked my car, met the officer, but was told to go to RTA, Secunderabad, as my Driving licence was issued by them. Argued with him that my DL had my new address incoporated in it, so why should I go so far away, but was told that they have separate databases, and so I had no option.
  3. Drove 10 kms to Sec'bad RTA, took xerox of my docs, filled in the forms and paid Rs 50 and got a medical fitness certificate
  4. Stood in a queue for 15 minutes to get a token number. Was asked to proceed to counter # 3 after they verified my original DL and passport.
  5. Stood in a queue for 25 minutes at counter # 3. The lady at the counter verified my visa, passport and DL and noted those down, and then asked me to get it approved by the Supdt at the corner.
  6. Stood in a line for 10 minutes, and the Superindent signed the papers after verifying the same docs.
  7. Went back to counter # 3 (did not need to stand in line), but the lady asked me to get in approved by the RTO too.
  8. Went to RTO's room, was asked to go in after 3 minutes. He asked me where I was heading to and verifiied the docs once again, but meticulously---especially the visa expiry date. He signed it soon after.
  9. Went back to counter # 3 and paid Rs 650. The lady handed over the entire bunch of papers and asked me to get the Superintendent's signature once again.
  10. The Supdt signed it immediately (no line, luckily) and asked me to go to the photo section.
  11. Went and got photographed in 3 minutes.
  12. Took the bunch of papers to the lady at the counter and she handed me over my receipt. She asked me to return between 4 and 5 pm in person to collect the IDP-there is no system of posting the IDP, unlike in the case of DLs.
  13. Since it was only 145 pm, drove back home, had lunch, rested, and went back at 415 pm
  14. The lady at the counter prepared the IDP in my presence (no cards, only a darn booklet) and handed over the entire bunch to me, and asked me to take the Supdt's signature at 3 places in the booklet.
  15. The Supdt signed it immediately, and kept the bunch with him. He handed over the IDP booklet thereafter.
  16. Drove back home, feeling I had climbed Mt Everest.
Whew, I was lucky that I had an off the whole day, but I could never imagine how tedious the process was! On top of it, the goddamn thing is valid only for a year!

Imagine going through the saga again. If I ever get to drive a car in DC area and and stopped by a cop, I will surely get immense pleasure if he cares to read it at least! Else I'd have to reconcile with a 1000 bucks down the drain (incl fuel charges for visiting that office twice).

Hmm 1000 bucks down the drain? well I think so. I think you got confused about maryland. You need IDP only if your home country license is not in english,
Maryland Driver's License

If I go to the UK, for how long will the IDP be useful before I have to apply for the UK license?

I'm guessing that because my booklet has the 2 and 4 wheeler license in 1, I will also get an IDP accordingly?

What is the criteria for buying a used or new bike in the UK? Can I buy it on the basis of the Indian or International license?

i have an international drivers license that has not expired since the last trip to japan.. I am going to dubai next week and would love to rent out an exotic out there. But there is no UAE mentioned on the list of countries the license is recognized in. Is there any way i can get to drive in dubai ?... It should be great to drive around in an SLR :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by evil_e46 (Post 1702326)
i have an international drivers license that has not expired since the last trip to japan.. I am going to dubai next week and would love to rent out an exotic out there. But there is no UAE mentioned on the list of countries the license is recognized in. Is there any way i can get to drive in dubai ?... It should be great to drive around in an SLR :D

I am sure you are talking about the IDP (Permit, not License) since there is no such thing as an international driving license.

As far as the countries that recognize IDP, check out these links:
International Drivers Permits Honored

For Dubai and Abu Dhabi, check out this link:

Dubai Airport Car Hire

Hope the above helps.

There's so much informaiton flying around on this, want to add what I have experienced in UK (did an end to end drive in October, 09 on a self-drive car from Europe Cars) and I have found for US from reliable sources:

1. You need a valid Indian Driving Licence in english to drive in UK. Most car agencies will give car on this basis. If you have an IDP, that's a back-up, if the agency wants to be doubly sure, they CAN ask for it, they checked our Indian Driving Licences, mine & my wifes and also glanced through our IDP's.

2. For an additional driver in UK additional insurance is mandatory, private or hired, I had taken for my self as well as for my wife as a back up in case of emergencies, expensive, I think it cost me additional 40 GBP for 12 days.

3. In the US, in all the states, valid Indian Driving Licence in English is enough. Avis, Europe Car and Budget mailed me that an IDP is advisable, strongly told me to carry one; they can ask for one and if there's any doubt they can refuse rental. They also said, in some states highway police are looking for a driving licence in english and ALSO an IDP. Spend that extra money on an IDP and carry this as insurance.

4. IDP is valid for one year.

5. You need a valid Indian Driving Licence, visa, copy of air ticket for an IDL. Carry originals, my RTO officer asked from me and my wife all originals.

6. For buying a car / bike in UK and USA you need proof of residance. I wanted to buy a used car in USA for a one month visit, but found it impossible on a tourist visa. There are many illegal ways (suggested to me by well-meaning friends) I don't fancy the idea of a tango with the cops on a holiday.

======

Some more informaiton on buying a car in the US:

1. Local address is a must as said ealrier, the Transport authorities will send the papers to your address.

2. There are registration fees and sales tax based on the state where it's done, different in different states, significantly higher in some states.

3. If you are thinking of selling it again quickly after your trip or short stay, you'd loose money on resale.

If it's a short duration of 1 month or 2, people advise me to hire it on a circular trip. On a one way drop, you'd have to pay about 600 to 1000 USD extra.

There was this news item recently that the Indian IDL is not obligatory for the host country to honour as India is not a signatory to a certain treaty/agreement. Does this mean from now on chances of Indian IDL not being valid in most parts come true?

Guys,

My friend had to suddenly move to Melbourne, Australia for work because of which he went there without an IDP. In Australia, you can't ride on your Indian license but you can drive.

He wants me to send an IDP from here so he can rent a bike there. He said he will send me scanned copies of his license and passport from there. In this case, what should I do?

Quote:

Originally Posted by straight6 (Post 1865545)
Guys,

My friend had to suddenly move to Melbourne, Australia for work because of which he went there without an IDP. In Australia, you can't ride on your Indian license but you can drive.

He wants me to send an IDP from here so he can rent a bike there. He said he will send me scanned copies of his license and passport from there. In this case, what should I do?

Without looking into the Originals, the RTO people will not issue the IDP. Also, they want the applicant also to be present physically. Try through a agent, if he can do anything?