Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th February 2012, 22:05   #211
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by patil
So far as I know the RTOs in Karnataka issue only IDP i.e., International Driving Permit. I have never heard of anything like IDL i.e., International Driving License. Someone having better information please throw some light.
It's only the Permit. No Country can issue a International Driving License.
Old 5th March 2012, 15:26   #212
BHPian

Re: The International Driving License (IDL) / International Driving Permit (IDP) Thre

I will be going to Europe (Austria, Czech Republic, Germany, Italy and Switzerland) in June. I have a valid Driving License from Texas (USA) and also have a DL here in India (the Indian one isn't a smart card one but a Printed form filled with pen and stamped). As far as I understand correctly, the Paper license from India isn't acceptable there in Europe, but what about the validity of US license. I will be going on a Schengen Tourist visa. Can I rent a car and drive there?
Old 5th March 2012, 15:55   #213
BHPian

Re: The International Driving License (IDL) / International Driving Permit (IDP) Thre

I'm going to london in april. Will my smart card license from mumbai rto suffice or will i need to get an IDP ?
Old 15th March 2012, 13:34   #214
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animesh View Post
I will be going to Europe (Austria, Czech Republic, Germany, Italy and Switzerland) in June. I have a valid Driving License from Texas (USA) and also have a DL here in India (the Indian one isn't a smart card one but a Printed form filled with pen and stamped). As far as I understand correctly, the Paper license from India isn't acceptable there in Europe, but what about the validity of US license. I will be going on a Schengen Tourist visa. Can I rent a car and drive there?
Our own Yeti (Sam Kapasi) drives rented cars in Europe with Indian License. Not sure if he has paper license or smart card one. But in one of his travelogues he mentioned it should be in English. So I think there is no reason to reject your US license while renting cars. I myself been to Switzerland and you could rent cars with Indian license.
Old 15th March 2012, 15:55   #215
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
Our own Yeti (Sam Kapasi) drives rented cars in Europe with Indian License. Not sure if he has paper license or smart card one. But in one of his travelogues he mentioned it should be in English. So I think there is no reason to reject your US license while renting cars. I myself been to Switzerland and you could rent cars with Indian license.
Then it would work just fine. Thank you for your inputs.

I have however ditched the idea of renting a car in Europe. Probably not the most efficient plan to travel in Europe for the first time. Gonna buy a Euro Rail pass.
Old 13th April 2012, 10:17   #216
BHPian

Got my IDP and smart card Indian DL-IDP was delivered on the third day after applying-RTO Batterhalli, Banagalore-no issues, no bribes just followed the regulations!! Will be driving both in UK and Austria.
Any advice for Austria??
Old 24th April 2012, 22:22   #217
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animesh View Post
Then it would work just fine. Thank you for your inputs.

I have however ditched the idea of renting a car in Europe. Probably not the most efficient plan to travel in Europe for the first time. Gonna buy a Euro Rail pass.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judemayne View Post
Got my IDP and smart card Indian DL-IDP was delivered on the third day after applying-RTO Batterhalli, Banagalore-no issues, no bribes just followed the regulations!! Will be driving both in UK and Austria.
Any advice for Austria??
Please be adviced: International Driving Licence - not valid in Germany!

Indian licence is very well valid, but carry original always. Check with ADAC.de for more info. Euro rail pass is a fantastic thing! In Europe travelling by pulic transport is easier, faster and better than renting vehicles. Its costly to rent cars.
AlphaKilo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2012, 16:54   #218
BHPian

I'm going to UK on 1st may so can someone tell me whether I would need an IDP or not? Im going for a month.
I'll be staying in main London and Leicester.
Old 23rd May 2012, 12:58   #219

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeWizard View Post
I'm going to UK on 1st may so can someone tell me whether I would need an IDP or not? Im going for a month.
I'll be staying in main London and Leicester.
Guess its a bit late to answer now, but your valid Indian Driving License (in any form) will be accepted for one year from your arrival. You do not need IDP to drive within UK, if you meet above condition.
Old 26th May 2012, 13:13   #220
Team-BHP Support

Fellas,

I'll be off to USA by July end so plan to get myself an IDP.

I stay in B'lore but my DL has been issued in Pune, Maharashtra.

Any info on agents who can help me get the IDP issued here in B'lore?
Old 26th May 2012, 20:18   #221
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987
Fellas,

I'll be off to USA by July end so plan to get myself an IDP.

I stay in B'lore but my DL has been issued in Pune, Maharashtra.

Any info on agents who can help me get the IDP issued here in B'lore?
Contact the Automobile Association, become a life member and get your IDP in a jiffy. Its legal, respected and far better than working with those creepologists who hang out near the RTO's in India.
shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th May 2012, 20:34   #222
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Contact the Automobile Association, become a life member and get your IDP in a jiffy. Its legal, respected and far better than working with those creepologists who hang out near the RTO's in India.
That's what I had initially planned. But if I take a membership here, it'll be that of the South Indian Automobile Association. I'll be leaving B'lore for good next month.

I am from Pune and folks stay in Gurgaon; so, would membership to SSAI be of help at either of these 2 places too?
Old 26th May 2012, 20:43   #223
BHPian

Quote:

That's what I had initially planned. But if I take a membership here, it'll be that of the South Indian Automobile Association. I'll be leaving B'lore for good next month.

I am from Pune and folks stay in Gurgaon; so, would membership to SSAI be of help at either of these 2 places too?
I drove a rental in California on my indian license. So Indian licenses are not an issue. just make sure if your license is in Marathi then you have an English translation. If you have a card license then it should already be in English.
Latest as of March 2012.

You can get an IDP from an RTO by paying a fine (for not converting your license to local address) and then IDP fee. that's what I did 4 yrs ago in Mumbai. Maybe Bangalore RTO has a similar way.
Edit: I had to go through this route as the address on my passport and license were different. WIAA needs them to be same otherwise they'll not provide help on IDP.

Last edited by rtandon : 26th May 2012 at 20:47.
rtandon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2012, 21:07   #224
BHPian

Was planning a trip last year to Austria, Italy and Switzerland.
Decided to drive in the first two and booked the Swiss Pass for the third. Oh what an experience.
Both in terms of a blast to actually drive there, and the process to get an IDP.

I had a Pune address on my licence and passport has my Mumbai address, so spent three long weekends back and forth at the Pune RTO, with applications, agents, the officials (who were helpful), went to local court to make an affidavit, and a dozen other frustrating things, all because I wanted an IDP.

Had to have it because I had already got great deals for the two weeks from Europcar.
Week 1 in a 1.2L Skoda Fabia on the excellent Austrian roads with clear signs and exits, and a GPS unit to boot.
Week 2 in Italy, in a slow 1.2L Fiat 500 with local and Autostrada signs not making any sense except to locals who knew the area and the language. It was peak summer in Europe, so everyone had fled, the normally lonely streets were extra-deserted. So no one to ask for the final mile. Anyway I digress, it was fun to get lost and discover amazing little places.

Finally I got hold of the IDP only to discover that the smart card is very much accepted everywhere. Because I took out the IDP first they used to look at it, and then eventually ask for the valid licence anyway.

This was me being extra careful considering that I was travelling to Europe for the first time and was planning a driving holiday. Other South East Asian countries anyway accepted even the old Paper booklet licence.

Have fun all of you, and no it doesn't work out expensive to drive as compared to a pass, considering the freedom you get. I got comparable deals on both cars, as compared to a Eurail Pass or equivalent.
Old 26th May 2012, 21:10   #225
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:

Yes. The AASI membership will be useful anywhere else too.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks