Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th April 2013, 17:10   #256
BHPian

Re: The International Driving License (IDL) / International Driving Permit (IDP) Thre

My experience taking an International Driver's Permit (IDP) from Rajajinagar RTO, Bangalore :

Usually I get an agent to take care of this for me, and he usually charges me 2500 bucks. This time, I decided to run around myself and get it done directly at the RTO. Took me 600 bucks (500 official fee, plus 100 bucks for a medical checkup). Time taken: 2 days, one day to collect forms, understand the procedure, get the medical checkup done. 2nd day for submission of forms, scrutiny etc.

A very courteous and patient lady at the RTO explained what I had to do, and the next day, after I gave her the forms, she scrutinized it, and sent me to the Assistant RTO who cleared my papers within a few minutes. IDP handed to me in another 20 minutes. This was yesterday and today (April 3rd and 4th 2013).

Things like this give me hope.

PS: I did check with AASI for the membership, but the joining fee is 12000+taxes. Pretty steep, but there are the other benefits of course. I plan to enroll a couple of months later.
Old 12th April 2013, 15:27   #257
BHPian

Re: The International Driving License (IDL) / International Driving Permit (IDP) Thre

Just got my IDP now. I must say it was rather easy and straight forward.

Went at 11 in the morning to the RTO office with 4 Passport Size Photos, Passport with Visa, Original Drivers License and my flight ticket. Had to purchase a form from a store opposite the RTO office where I was told the same form was also available online. Filled out the form and the medical certificate (Form 1). In a small dark corner of the very same store was an old man who claimed was a Doctor and signed on my form without even looking at my face for Rs.50. Went around to the main desk with the completed forms where I was directed to go to the RTO Officers Cabin where all my documents were checked and attested. Next stop was the billing counter where I paid Rs.1000. I was asked to attach a tear off slip from the bill to my application and hand over to the computer section. I was asked to come back at 5 to collect my IDL.

I didn't have to stand in any line, though there was a long queue for all other formalities. Staff were courteous enough and guided me properly without making me run around.

RTO Office - Mandaveli, Chennai
flipsyde is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2013, 10:01   #258
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incognito View Post
I am travelling to Germany for a year. Got an IDP done from the RTO in Kolkata. But on the IDP it says "Valid only in Germany". I have the following queries:

1. Is an IDP country specifi?

2. Does "valid in Germany" imply validity in other Schengen states?

Please suggest. I have a valid German visa and work permit.
The IDP/IDL makes the Germans crack up! I'm guessing the IDP that will be issued by the Calcutta RTO will be just like mine from Pune, which is a tiny booklet made with newsprint paper! They prefer looking at the smartcard which atleast looks legit!

In Germany, you can drive with your Indian license for a year, after which you have to get a German one!
Old 16th June 2013, 12:14   #259
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipsyde View Post
Just got my IDP now. I must say it was rather easy and straight forward.

Went at 11 in the morning to the RTO office with 4 Passport Size Photos, Passport with Visa, Original Drivers License and my flight ticket. Had to purchase a form from a store opposite the RTO office where I was told the same form was also available online. Filled out the form and the medical certificate (Form 1). In a small dark corner of the very same store was an old man who claimed was a Doctor and signed on my form without even looking at my face for Rs.50. Went around to the main desk with the completed forms where I was directed to go to the RTO Officers Cabin where all my documents were checked and attested. Next stop was the billing counter where I paid Rs.1000. I was asked to attach a tear off slip from the bill to my application and hand over to the computer section. I was asked to come back at 5 to collect my IDL.

I didn't have to stand in any line, though there was a long queue for all other formalities. Staff were courteous enough and guided me properly without making me run around.

RTO Office - Mandaveli, Chennai
That was cool.

I tried, but failed. They denied saying I need to get the Address changed in my Passport to match the License one (or vice-versa).

How about you? Did you have same address on both? If not, is there a way out?
Old 16th June 2013, 23:34   #260
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
That was cool.

I tried, but failed. They denied saying I need to get the Address changed in my Passport to match the License one (or vice-versa).

I'm not sure how that works because both my passport and driving license carry the same address.
Old 27th September 2013, 10:07   #261
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
That was cool.

That is correct. My license booklet in Mumbai has our older house address, and the renewed passport has the current address. I have got the DL address updated 10 days back, and would be going for the IDP today. The addresses need to match, although no one is able to show any official document highlighting the same. Probably this is because when you may rent a car abroad, they will ask for the DLP, IDP and Passport, which all need to have consistent data across them.
Old 6th November 2013, 00:18   #262
Senior - BHPian

I am travelling to US on B1/B2 on Saturday. I will be in NY and for a weekend would be going to Washington DC and Maryland. I dont have an IDP. Earlier cars could be rented with just the Indian DL and Passport.

Has any rules changed ? Can I still drive around without hassles ?
I will most probably be renting when I am in Washington DC and Maryland. Also if instead of renting a car I use my friend's car, what requires to be done ?
Old 6th November 2013, 02:25   #263
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altocumulus View Post
I am travelling to US on B1/B2 on Saturday. I will be in NY and for a weekend would be going to Washington DC and Maryland. I dont have an IDP. Earlier cars could be rented with just the Indian DL and Passport.

I will most probably be renting when I am in Washington DC and Maryland. Also if instead of renting a car I use my friend's car, what requires to be done ?
Usually airport locations will let you drive with Indian license. Again it depends on the rental agency and the location, some may some may not.
To drive your friends car, be sure you are added in his insurance. Your friend can call the insurance company and add you with your Indian license.
Old 6th November 2013, 02:29   #264
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Also if instead of renting a car I use my friend's car, what requires to be done ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraft.wagen View Post
To drive your friends car, be sure you are added in his insurance. Your friend can call the insurance company and add you with your Indian license.
I think you're still alright renting with your Indian license - you don't really need the IDP in NY/MD/DC as far as I'm aware.

As long as your friend's car is insured you don't need to do anything else to drive it. He doesn't need to add your name onto his insurance.
Old 6th November 2013, 22:14   #265
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aah78 View Post
I think you're still alright renting with your Indian license - you don't really need the IDP in NY/MD/DC as far as I'm aware.

As long as your friend's car is insured you don't need to do anything else to drive it. He doesn't need to add your name onto his insurance.
Does this hold true even if the car doesn't have comprehensive insurance? I always thought you need to add any one driving your car in the insurance policy.

I somehow don't understand how the whole insurance thing works here.
Old 6th November 2013, 22:35   #266
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Does this hold true even if the car doesn't have comprehensive insurance? I always thought you need to add any one driving your car in the insurance policy.

I somehow don't understand how the whole insurance thing works here.
I may be wrong but as far as I know, in the US, generally, if you own a car, then you are required to have Comprehensive &/ Collision coverage (plus liability, of-course) for that car.

Since most people finance or lease their cars, the financial firms require these coverages to protect their financial interest.
If you purchase your car outright, then you can probably get away with no Comprehensive/Collision Coverage but then you need to have the financial resources to handle all repairs due to accidents / vandalism. Liability coverage protects against lawsuits filed against you by a third party, it doesn't cover any damage to your car or to you.

The insurance companies want to add the people who drive your car normally (e.g. you & your spouse, if married), to your policy. Guest drivers don't need to be added.

The coverage follows the car independent of driver.

[FYI, for a motorcycle, you can get away with not having Comprehensive & Collision as long as the motorcycle has no liens / loans and you have the minimum liability coverage as required by your state].

Last edited by aah78 : 6th November 2013 at 22:43. Reason: Edit: Adding.
Old 6th November 2013, 23:27   #267
BHPian

Quote:

Indian LMV license is good for use in NY. Check the states DMV pages to find the validity. They range from 30days to 60days. For NY as far as I recollect it used to be 30days from stamping at port of entry.

IDL is not a valid license, it is recommended only because it has content in multiple language for the cops to understand. Our license with English print is good.

Our Motorcycle license can not be used to drive Haley's out there. It is easier to get a 4 wheeler license in US.

The Insurance regime in US is on Individual and not the car. However, some people have option for insurance covers to include an additional driver. I believe they need to inform the drivers name to the insurance company before you are allowed to take the wheels. The insurance cover is part of their liability.

Car rentals will charge you additional for Insurance. In fact Insurance costs much more than the rental charges. Most corporates with foreign travelers have tie-up with rental companies to cover insurance at a reduced cost. So it is best to book cars through your company.

Sometimes you get good deals online. You can book a car even before you land in the US. Try Hertz/Budget/Avis/Enterprise. I've had good experience with Enterprise.
Caution: While renting, they give a deal to return the car with an empty tank. Dont go for it.

Have a safe and enjoyable trip

Some good tips out here:
http://www.immihelp.com/newcomer/car-rental-tips.html

Last edited by HillMan : 6th November 2013 at 23:43.
Old 7th November 2013, 00:55   #268
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aah78 View Post
[FYI, for a motorcycle, you can get away with not having Comprehensive & Collision as long as the motorcycle has no liens / loans and you have the minimum liability coverage as required by your state].
My CU didn't ask for any min requirement on the insurance, nevertheless I have comprehensive on my motorcycle. In WA there is no requirement on insurance for your motorcycles. May be a state dependent thing to have minimum requirements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillMan View Post
Our Motorcycle license can not be used to drive Haley's out there. It is easier to get a 4 wheeler license in US.
I have rented Harley from Eagle Riders with Indian DL in the West coast.

Last edited by aah78 : 7th November 2013 at 00:59. Reason: Quote fixed.
Old 7th November 2013, 01:02   #269
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
My CU didn't ask for any min requirement on the insurance, nevertheless I have comprehensive on my motorcycle. In WA there is no requirement on insurance for your motorcycles. May be a state dependent thing to have minimum requirements.
Yes, limits vary from state-state. Some states let you ride a motorcycle without insurance. Probably WA is one of them.
Old 7th November 2013, 06:52   #270
BHPian

Quote:
I have rented Harley from Eagle Riders with Indian DL in the West coast.
Could be dependent on State. I was stopped by Cop for over speeding in Illinois while taking a friends cruiser for a spin. A very nice guy, he let me go with a warning and no ticket. He was himself a biker and understood the enthusiasm and the beautiful weather that day. But he mentioned about some training requirements. Plain license was not enough.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks