Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th May 2014, 16:10   #301
BHPian

Re: Traffic and life on the road in Chennai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wall-e View Post
Folks, Urgent Help
I'am moving to Toronto on a long term deputation. Came to know that getting driving license in Ontario is an uphill task. But if one has more than 24 months of driving exp and has a Letter of authentication from RTO office (in their letter head) stating the same,things might become a little easy.Has anyone got that letter from RTO office,If yes can you please share the template/what's it called in the local RTO office? i'll be visiting Thiruvanmiyur,chennai RTO office.

The trouble is my name is having short initial in driving license and expanded initial in passport,Address is different between passport and Driving license and my old license was not issued in chennai.

And i have one day to all this.

Has any one faced such situation? Your inputs would be of great help.

Thanks
Mate congratulations,
Ontario driving license is a three step process, starts with an 20 point exam for G1 and on passing it permits you to drive with only a G licence holder.
Next after practice you apply for G2 which involves a drive test, and on passing you can drive independent.
Next is G.
Not sure if a letter is needed coz your valid Indian DL should be sufficient for immediate G2 after G1 exam.
Once you go for G1 they will photo copy your visa passport and Indian Dl, take an eye test and you learn from handbook and answer the test.

Your valid indian Dl will give you credit if more than 2 year old to give immediate G2.

http://www.ontario.ca/driving-and-ro...ving-and-roads
ritz3645 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2014, 16:33   #302
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Traffic and life on the road in Chennai

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
When I was travelling to Belgium in 1998, I thought it would be a good idea to get an IDPL and while getting one looked easy on paper, there were lots of conditions (eg. same address on license and passport etc). I went to the RTO but gave up.

I have not heard of this letter on letter-pad thing, but couple of suggestions :
1) I have heard that such stuff is a one-day thing for those that are members of Automobile Association. You could try that route.
2) Check with any team-bhpians in Canada about how it actually is there and what can help.
The AA Southern India will do it while you wait, and with a friendly face.

I get one when I go to UK, as my UK licence is not valid due to not being resident there.

Last edited by moralfibre : 11th May 2014 at 21:44. Reason: Moved post to correct thread.
Old 2nd June 2014, 16:25   #303
BHPian

Re: The International Driving License (IDL) / International Driving Permit (IDP) Thre

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillMan View Post
In US there is no restriction on the vehicle you can drive rental or private. Your license is valid for certain days and thats it.

Private vehicle owners dont encourage visitors to take the wheel only because of insurance. Things go wrong when you least expect it. I have driven private cars on weekend trips, where the owner had extended the insurance to cover me as additional driver.

Insurance wouldn't cover if anything went wrong unless pre-approved. But the liability of owner does not seize for allowing the vehicle to be used.

IDP has validity usually for the trip. But the license rule is governed by the local state laws. IDP is only an extension to your valid DL, for readability and nothing more. It is not mandatory. Atleast in US as I often visit. Cant say the same for other countries.

I got IDP for my first two visits to US, then stopped the practice as our license in English is readable. I've been stopped couple of times for over speeding, the cops had no issues with the Indian license.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vasoo View Post
IDP is not required in many countries, provided your existing license is in English and legible. I never had it and have been driving rented cars in US, Canada, Australia, UK and Europe using my Indian DL for many years.
So the consensus is that the IDP issued by the RTO is essentially useless for renting and driving in the US since the license is already in English? But, on the back of the license is a statement saying that the license is valid for driving in India. I simply assumed the IDP would extend that to allow us to drive anywhere in the world. Is that not the case?

Also, are there any limitations in the US about renting cars on a work visa (as opposed to visitors' visa) like some of the posters above had mentioned is the case in the UAE?

Thanks!
Old 2nd June 2014, 16:38   #304
Senior - BHPian

Idp is not a license to drive. It has no validity by itself without accompanying DL. It is just an internationalized version of your DL for law enforcement team in other countries. No authority can license you to drive anywhere in the world.

In USA it does not matter what visa are you in as long as you are legal.
Old 2nd June 2014, 16:54   #305
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The International Driving License (IDL) / International Driving Permit (IDP) Thre

Quote:
So the consensus is that the IDP issued by the RTO is essentially useless for renting and driving in the US since the license is already in English?
I take an IDP for driving in England itself!
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2014, 17:01   #306
BHPian

Quote:
Idp is not a license to drive. It has no validity by itself without accompanying DL.
Of course not. I don't remember saying that. What I did say was, is there any value in having the IDP in addition to the DL if the DL is already in English? If so, what is that value?

Quote:
It is just an internationalized version of your DL for law enforcement team in other countries.
I know. I also know about the conventions of 1943 and 1949.

Quote:
No authority can license you to drive anywhere in the world.
I said *allow* us to drive; not *license* us to drive. There's a difference.

Quote:
In USA it does not matter what visa are you in as long as you are legal.
Now what is that supposed to mean and how does it pertain to my questions?
Old 2nd June 2014, 17:04   #307
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynx View Post
Of course not. I don't remember saying that. What I did say was, is there any value in having the IDP in addition to the DL if the DL is already in English? If so, what is that value?
Quote:
So the consensus is that the IDP issued by the RTO is essentially useless for renting and driving in the US since the license is already in English?
Some countries insist on IDP, even if you have your valid license in English. Hence wouldn't term it as useless. In US, it depends on the state. Please check the requirements of the state you are visiting.
Quote:
But, on the back of the license is a statement saying that the license is valid for driving in India. I simply assumed the IDP would extend that to allow us to drive anywhere in the world. Is that not the case?
Well, Govt of India can't issue license for rest of the world
Old 2nd June 2014, 17:11   #308
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
In US, it depends on the state. Please check the requirements of the state you are visiting.
Thanks, this appears to be correct. A quick visit to the DMV website of the state I'm landing in and will be renting the car from says I require only the DL, whereas the DMV of the state I'm going to be staying and taking the driver's test in says it is "advised" that I carry the IDP along with the DL.

So for anyone perusing this thread in the future, my suggestion would also be to check the DMV of the state one is going to be driving in, in the US and if there's some ambiguity as in my case above, to call the DMV and clarify.
Old 2nd June 2014, 18:00   #309
Senior - BHPian

I remember reading that no state in US considers IDP as a valid document unless your original DL is not in English. I have driven in most states and there were no restrictions anywhere. See the link below which has some good info.

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/overseas/idp-requirements-by-country.html

Last edited by vasoo : 2nd June 2014 at 18:11.
vasoo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2014, 18:05   #310
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I know. I also know about the conventions of 1943 and 1949.

I said *allow* us to drive; not *license* us to drive. There's a difference.

Now what is that supposed to mean and how does it pertain to my questions?
I thought you asked if it matters if you are on work or visitor visa for renting cars.

Requirement of IDP is enforced by certain countries as mandatory. I never had it in my life and my Indian DL was accepted everywhere. I have not driven in middle east, Africa, latam or eastern Europe. So I cannot comment on those countries.

Last edited by vasoo : 2nd June 2014 at 18:20.
vasoo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2014, 00:48   #311
Distinguished - BHPian

IDP is a translation, but it is not just a translation.

It is also an internationally (listed countries) recognised document which says that the funny-looking piece of plastic or cardboard that it accompanies actually is a driving licence.

The fact that it is valid for a year is also significant. If you staying abroad long-term, it covers you for the first twelve months. After that (subject to local variation) you must get a local licence issued by that country. You cannot just go on using you non-local licence.
Old 3rd June 2014, 09:10   #312
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
IDP is a translation, but it is not just a translation.

It is also an internationally (listed countries) recognised document which says that the funny-looking piece of plastic or cardboard that it accompanies actually is a driving licence.

The fact that it is valid for a year is also significant. If you staying abroad long-term, it covers you for the first twelve months. After that (subject to local variation) you must get a local licence issued by that country. You cannot just go on using you non-local licence.
At least for the United States, I can clarify this based on my interaction with the DMVs of two states over the phone yesterday. They do not require the IDP as long as the DL is in English like ours. However, they recommend that we carry it just in case because in case you're involved in an accident, the insurance companies may insist on seeing it.

Also, even though the IDP itself may be valid for a year like you say, it is the state's law that would take precedence in terms of the time limit. Some states like WI allow you to use your DL for a whole year since your arrival but some restrict its use to 90 days and some even 30 days (apparently). This duration is state's law and has nothing to do with the validity of the IDP.
lynx is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2014, 12:44   #313
Distinguished - BHPian

Thank you for that valuable information.

As little as 30 days is surprising. What a lot we have to find out before travelling!
Old 4th July 2014, 12:24   #314
BHPian

Hi

I have a couple of qq, in order to get an IDP, I understand that getting an AASI membership helps, in that regard

They have 'Individual life membership' category which is economical at INR 6000 'Life, for Individual' at INR 10000. Is there a difference between the two (apart from the moolah of course) and would the cheaper one get me an IDP?

Am currently a resident of Bangalore (and my car is KA registered) but my DL was issued in Calcutta, would the AASI membership help get around that since I understand that the DL has to be issued at the place of IDP application (dont want to go back to Calcutta for the IDP) or would the AASI first have to get my DL 'moved' to KA and then get my IDP processed?

Thanks in advance
Old 4th July 2014, 12:46   #315
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothatchaway View Post
Hi

I have a couple of qq, in order to get an IDP, I understand that getting an AASI membership helps, in that regard

They have 'Individual life membership' category which is economical at INR 6000 'Life, for Individual' at INR 10000. Is there a difference between the two (apart from the moolah of course) and would the cheaper one get me an IDP?

Am currently a resident of Bangalore (and my car is KA registered) but my DL was issued in Calcutta, would the AASI membership help get around that since I understand that the DL has to be issued at the place of IDP application (dont want to go back to Calcutta for the IDP) or would the AASI first have to get my DL 'moved' to KA and then get my IDP processed?

Thanks in advance
At the outset do note that you can get an IDP from the local RTO and from the AAI.

The regulations at both places, when I last checked in 2012 was that the passport and the DL should be from the same area. For eg. if your Passport address is in say MH04 Area and your DL is in MH03 area. Tough luck. Also, they will check and see if you are a bonafide traveller by verifying the VISA on your Passport.

Not sure if this is the process now, or with the new sarkar it has changed, but anyway all the best

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks