Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 4th July 2014, 14:44   #316
BHPian

Re: The International Driving License (IDL) / International Driving Permit (IDP) Thre

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivshanker View Post
At the outset do note that you can get an IDP from the local RTO and from the AAI.

The regulations at both places, when I last checked in 2012 was that the passport and the DL should be from the same area. For eg. if your Passport address is in say MH04 Area and your DL is in MH03 area. Tough luck. Also, they will check and see if you are a bonafide traveller by verifying the VISA on your Passport.

Not sure if this is the process now, or with the new sarkar it has changed, but anyway all the best
Thanks for the prompt reply, both my passport and DL are issued in Calcutta (is that coincidence good enough or does the RTO need to be the same areas as the residential address on the passport?!!!)

...the catch is that now I reside in Bangalore and would like to procure it here (going to Cal just for this isnt feasible) so will the nearby RTO in Indiranagar be able to get this done for me? If this proves to be insurmountable for even the AAI then I may forego the membership idea as that does not come cheap

thanks
Old 18th July 2014, 22:46   #317
BHPian

Re: The International Driving License (IDL) / International Driving Permit (IDP) Thre

I am going to UK for a short time. Would like to apply for the IDP at Kerala. However, I am not having a license in card form - It is on old one page sheet format.

While issuing an IDP will the RTO be issuing a new license in card form together with the IDP in card form?

I don't have time to convert my paper form license to card form and then apply for IDP. :(
Old 20th July 2014, 10:54   #318

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedate View Post
I am going to UK for a short time. ........... :(
As long as your license is in English AND your stay is less than a year, you need not necessarily take IDL.

If this is the first time driving in UK, do read the rules of driving, particularly the lane driving and lanes to be taken at round-about.

Have fun there and safe driving.
Old 20th July 2014, 11:43   #319
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedate View Post
I am going to UK for a short time. Would like to apply for the IDP at Kerala. However, I am not having a license in card form - It is on old one page sheet format.

While issuing an IDP will the RTO be issuing a new license in card form together with the IDP in card form?

I don't have time to convert my paper form license to card form and then apply for IDP. :(
The whole purpose of the IDP is to present a uniform Driving License in readable format to foreign country policemen. I do not think it is necessary to convert the paper based to a card system. But you never know what the local authorities might come up with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rysk View Post
As long as your license is in English AND your stay is less than a year, you need not necessarily take IDL.

If this is the first time driving in UK, do read the rules of driving, particularly the lane driving and lanes to be taken at round-about.

Have fun there and safe driving.
they might not trust the legacy they have left behind, for whatever it is worth do take the IDP as then you would be covering even the insurance company requirements.
Old 20th July 2014, 18:16   #320

Quote:
. they might not trust the legacy they have left behind, for whatever it is worth do take the IDP as then you would be covering even the insurance company requirements.

This is per UK gov. Rules. For first year, your native country license is enough. That meets UK valid driving license. Yes Indian driving license in English is valid. This is first hand experience, for a stay of 15 months, I did not require license for 12 months. Later for 3 months I had to get UK license.

Native license is a valid document as far as insurance companies in UK are concerned.

Of course, you can carry IDL, it's just redundant.

Try www.gov.uk, that site should confirm this requirement.
Old 22nd July 2014, 05:19   #321

Quote:

they might not trust the legacy they have left....

They do trust it. All commonwealth country licence holders are ok to drive in UK for a year. If you have EU or US licence, some rule applies. Insurance accept these as valid licences. It is detailed out in UK gov. Website. More importantly, I have first hand experience.

Stayed there for 18 months, used Indian driving licence (paper one), had a slight scratch due to a wrongly parked car. There was no issue, just gave copy of my Licence. It just needs to be in English. Got UK licence just before my 12 months were to expire. There was no issue in obtaining that.
Old 4th August 2014, 13:03   #322
BHPian

Guys,

Need your guidance.

Have a business trip scheduled to O'Fallon MO.

In Mussouri, Will Indian DL work to hire cars for rent at Avis or Hertz ? Which is the best bet ?

Or do I need to go for IDP/IDL ?

Appreciate your help

Ram P
Old 12th August 2014, 15:43   #323
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambuhere1 View Post
In Mussouri, Will Indian DL work to hire cars for rent at Avis or Hertz ? Which is the best bet ?
I have taken car from Enterprise in Denver with my Indian License. Their outlet near my hotel didn't give a car with the Indian license but the Airport outlet did without any questions.
If you have the time, get an IDP, else try your luck at the airport rental outlets.
Jaguar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2014, 16:21   #324
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Guys,

Need your guidance.

Have a business trip scheduled to O'Fallon MO.

Or do I need to go for IDP/IDL ?

Appreciate your help

Ram P
I have rented cars from Hertz and Budget in San Francisco airport several times in the past few years with my Indian license, and have not faced any issues so far.
graaja is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 19th November 2014, 02:08   #325
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
In Mussouri, Will Indian DL work to hire cars for rent at Avis or Hertz ?
As far as I remember, the only US state that doesn't accept Indian license is Nevada. Take whichever offers you the best deal. Have personally preferred Hertz.
narayans80 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th November 2014, 02:33   #326
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
As far as I remember, the only US state that doesn't accept Indian license is Nevada. Take whichever offers you the best deal. Have personally preferred Hertz.
It is accepted in Nevada also as I have driven a lot there using my Indian DL. See the link below. I have been renting with Hertz for the last 12 years or so and never had issues with my Indian DL anywhere in US.

http://nevadadmv.state.nv.us/faqs.htm
vasoo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th November 2014, 22:01   #327
BHPian

Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Hi All,

Posting this on behalf of a friend who's shifting from Bangalore to Pennsylvania.

Is it required to have International DL + Indian DL to drive in PA or is he good with just the Indian DL during the initial days?

Thanks,
Jose

Last edited by aah78 : 19th November 2014 at 23:07. Reason: Post moved to existing thread.
Old 19th November 2014, 23:01   #328
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by josejoseph View Post
Hi All,

Posting this on behalf of a friend who's shifting from Bangalore to Pennsylvania.

Is it required to have International DL + Indian DL to drive in PA or is he good with just the Indian DL during the initial days?

Thanks,
Jose
I believe this has been discussed many times in this thread. There is no need for IDP anywhere to drive in US as long as you have a English language card-based license with a photograph issued in India. I have been driving here for 15+ years using Indian DL, in almost all states, except probably Hawaii and Alaska. And mine is a Kerala DL with a 10 year old photo in it which hardly resembles my current appearance .
vasoo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th November 2014, 08:29   #329
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by josejoseph View Post
Hi All,

Thanks,
Jose
Yea like Vasoo mentioned you can drive with IDL, but if you are stopped by the cop, it ultimately depends on whether or not he is willing to accept. If not you have to contest the ticket.
kraft.wagen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2015, 14:43   #330
BHPian

Re: The International Driving License (IDL) / International Driving Permit (IDP) Thread

Getting an IDP seems like one of the most frustrating processes in India. It is unamiginable that the RTOs insist the following:
1. DL issued by same RTO, address of same vicinity
2. Passport must have same address

Applicant must come in person.

All these put together, assume that in today's age, we will continue to reside in the same location for 10-20 years and all our documents will have same bearing :(

So much in the age of computerization!

Most Viewed