Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th March 2015, 15:30   #331
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The International Driving License (IDL) / International Driving Permit (IDP) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditto View Post
Getting an IDP seems like one of the most frustrating processes in India. ... ...
Use the AA of Southern|Northern India. Service with a smile and zero frustration.

I am going to UK for a month soon, and was looking at car hire there. In the section on hiring to drivers with non-British licences, Europcar mentions the Indian licence as being valid only in India and that they require the "International Driving Licence." Whether they are right or wrong is academic: if we want to rent, we must have what they require.

(Anyway, I'm not sure that I dare drive in UK. Visitors need courage to drive here; now I need courage to drive in my mother country!)
Old 18th March 2015, 16:03   #332
BHPian

Re: The International Driving License (IDL) / International Driving Permit (IDP) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Use the AA of Southern|Northern India. Service with a smile and zero frustration.

I am going to UK for a month soon, and was looking at car hire there. In the section on hiring to drivers with non-British licences, Europcar mentions the Indian licence as being valid only in India and that they require the "International Driving Licence." Whether they are right or wrong is academic: if we want to rent, we must have what they require.

(Anyway, I'm not sure that I dare drive in UK. Visitors need courage to drive here; now I need courage to drive in my mother country!)
Hi. I got this from the europcar FAQ site. Seems like you will not need an IDP as Indian licenses are indeed in English.

"In addition to your normal Driving Licence, your International Driving Licence is also mandatory if your driving licence is written in a language different to the one of the renting country and/or in characters that can not be read in the renting country."

https://www.europcar.com/faq/vt.do?v...=2781&page=faq
Old 18th March 2015, 17:55   #333
BHPian

Rented from Europcar last year using my Indian license, did not face any issues. That was in Italy, though. It would be strange if the company's policy would be different in UK.

In general, you should not have a problem renting in UK with the Indian license (assuming you have the card license printed in English). Not sure about Europcar specifically in UK.
Old 18th March 2015, 22:07   #334
Distinguished - BHPian

I think I'll get the IDP, just in case. I do still have a British driving licence, but the address on it is that of my late mother, and doesn't relate to anything. It expires this year: when I'm there I might get a renewal with an address change to a friend's --- but, strictly, if not resident, the licence is not valid.
Old 18th March 2015, 23:41   #335
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reverse_gear View Post
In general, you should not have a problem renting in UK with the Indian license (assuming you have the card license printed in English). Not sure about Europcar specifically in UK.
My Indian DL issued in Kerala has a statement "Valid for driving in India" and the girl at a rental agency refused me a car. The same agency's airport office gave me the car a couple of days later, no questions asked. So it is a matter of luck.

IMO it is better to carry the IDP just to be safe.
Old 23rd March 2015, 12:50   #336
BHPian

So I finally did get my IDP and feel great about that. No more stress!

I have a Mumbai MH02 driving licence and passport issued in Kolkata, while I currently stay in Hyderabad. And yes that was an issue, both at Hyderabad and Mumbai.

The Hyderabad RTO declined to do it point blank since my licence is not issued by them, so I decided to visit Mumbai RTO as I was anyway going to be in Mumbai for a few days.

Went to the RTO, got the forms and filled them up.
The filled forms and documents need to be verified by the Asst. RTO, who at first glance denied it since my passport didn't have a Mumbai address.
I tried to argue with him saying that these days nobody lives in one place permanently and that all documents need not have same address, and since the licence is issued at Mumbai with Mumbai address in 2008 (and after the passport was created in 2006), it should be treated as the correct address. On arguing for a few minutes, he asked to me furnish any other proof. I offered ration card - but on doing so, he showed me a statement within the ration card that it cannot be used as an address proof. He then asked me to get voter ID card. I said that I do not have a voter ID card currently but can give Aadhar card or get an affidavit created.

He didn't accept Aadhar (not sure why) and asked me to prove that I actually live in Mumbai (ridiculous!). He asked me for any property documents or such. Since I live and work in Hyderabad, I couldn't prove it and I could not even show my company I-Card as it had Hyderabad address.

Finally, one of my elderly relatives who accompanied me, went up and met with the chief RTO who said that Aadhar should be acceptable to the RTO for issuing IDP.

Went down again to the Asst RTO with all documents, told him about the discussion with the chief RTO and showed him the Aadhar card again. This time he saw it properly and verified that the same address existed on licence and the Aadhar card. He explained that the issue will arise if the foreign authority tries to validate the IDP, licence and passport for address integrity and if they find differences (which I don't think should be his problem).

But either ways, he stamped it. Submitted it to the counter outside and got the IDP next day.

From this whole experience, I have understood that there is no written rule that the addresses should match on DL and passport and it is open to the RTO's interpretation.
Talking to the important decision makers properly and substantiating claims, will help. They would not have entertained such discussions had I sent an agent instead.
I am not sure why the WIAA website also specifically mentions that DL and Passport addresses must match for them to issue IDP.

Lastly, for all this, I paid only Rs 500 to the RTO (as prescribed) and Rs 500 to the doctor to stamp on the medical certificate.

I hope others facing trouble due to different addresses can now read my experience and work out similarly.
aditto is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th March 2015, 17:45   #337
Senior - BHPian

Here is scenario. DL - from TN. Passport - from Bangalore. How can I go about getting an IDP? I am pretty sure they will not give me one from here in Bangalore. So is it the best idea to approach the RTO in TN? Any idea if a small town RTO will even give me one? Anyone know the procedure? Sorry asking all this here but do not want to make my elderly dad run around to get this information.

Also - maybe this should have been my first question. Travelling to Georgia state, US in May. Can I use my Indian DL itself? Is it ok if the address on that is different from the one on my Passport?

EDIT - here is the information that I have located on http://www.dds.ga.gov/ - it says nothing of the passport. "Non-US citizens holding a valid foreign driver’s license are allowed to drive in the state of Georgia for tourism or business purposes. If the foreign license is not printed in English, the driver must also have an International Driving Permit (IDP) or similar translation issued in accordance with the provision of the Convention on Road Traffic, any similar treaty, international agreement, or reciprocal agreement between the United States and a foreign nation. Non-US citizens must obtain an IDP from their home country prior to coming to the U.S"

So I guess my DL should be fine?

Last edited by naveenroy : 27th March 2015 at 18:00.
Old 30th March 2015, 10:07   #338
BHPian

I am bit confused on the requirement of IDP in US. I would be travelling to TX, PA, and AR and will be based there for almost 4 months. While TX and PA may allow driving with a valid home country license printed in English, AR does further require an IDP. Since I would be covering all these three States, it would be better to possess an IDP, in my opinion. Again, some States say an IDP will be valid for up to 1 year or visa expiry, whichever is earlier, AR says it is valid for six months. I don't want to land up in Jail in an alien country!
Old 30th March 2015, 11:11   #339
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gokrish View Post
I am bit confused on the requirement of IDP in US. I would be travelling to TX, PA, and AR and will be based there for almost 4 months. While TX and PA may allow driving with a valid home country license printed in English, AR does further require an IDP. Since I would be covering all these three States, it would be better to possess an IDP, in my opinion. Again, some States say an IDP will be valid for up to 1 year or visa expiry, whichever is earlier, AR says it is valid for six months. I don't want to land up in Jail in an alien country!
Every US state has a DMV website which has a section called "Foreign driving license". Most states have a 6 month limit for your English license. IDP is useless if your license in in English.
I suggest you visit the DMV websites of the states you want to visit, and see. Long time back, Nevada did not allow foreign licenses(with or without IDP). I am not sure about the current scenarios w.r.t various states.
Old 7th May 2015, 16:39   #340

I used the services of Automobile Association of Southern India to get the IDP done at Bangalore. They are at St.Marks Road near Dewars Wines and Egg Factory.

Helpful people. Hassle free service. Only catch is that they would want you to take a life membership. For a family life membership (this includes RTO services for 2 cars, spouse and unmarried children) the cost comes to around Rs.11300/-. The charge for the IDP is around Rs.600 as against the Rs.1000 at RTO. I guess there is some discount once you become a life member. The forms can be downloaded from their website - aasindia.org

One needs to submit a medical certificate in the format they require - Form 1A which is slightly different from the one on rto.kar.nic.in . I got it done from Dr. Lokesh who sits at the ground floor of BDA Complex, Indiranagar. Charges about 100 Rs. for signing and stamping the certificate. The AASI people also get the medical certificate done at an extra cost of Rs.200 but then the IDP shall be given the next day only.

I thought a life membership at AASI would be better because we keep needing some RTO related service or the other and every time shelling out Rs. 2000 or so to the agent isn't viable. I have tried the "DIY" route for a few services such as Converting license to smart card, removing hypothecation etc and my experience has been that it takes an awful amount of time and repeated visits to the RTO. In the end, I had to give some "chaai paani" to get the work done anyways.

P.S: As per the person who handed over the IDP, it is not valid in Japan. Just in case somebody is planning a Tokyo Drift ;-)
srividya76 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2015, 17:13   #341
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srividya76 View Post
Only catch is that they would want you to take a life membership. For a family life membership (this includes RTO services for 2 cars, spouse and unmarried children) the cost comes to around Rs.11300/-.
I don't think this is correct. The IDP service is available to all AA members. I got mine done yesterday from WIAA, Pune. I only have a yearly membership which costs Rs. 800.

The process for IDP was pretty smooth. They gave me the forms and told me the documents needed. I got a medical certificate from my doctor in the format required. Submitted the forms last week and collected my IDP yesterday. All done with a smile. Great service.
Old 7th May 2015, 19:00   #342
Distinguished - BHPian

Yes, AASA services are available to members, so one has to be or become a member. Then, if it something like an IDP, they do it straight away.

I've lost my membership card, but I found the receipt, so hoping that will do as I need an IDP to take to UK in July.
Old 7th May 2015, 19:24   #343

As can be seen on http://www.aasindia.org/idp.html in the first bullet point, AASI services are available only to life members. I called them up last week and they confirmed the same. Hence, I went and paid to get the membership. Of course, there is the individual life membership, family life membership etc.

Last edited by srividya76 : 7th May 2015 at 19:29.
Old 7th May 2015, 20:11   #344
BHPian

Quote:
I used the services of Automobile Association of Southern India to get the IDP done at Bangalore. They are at St.Marks Road near Dewars Wines and Egg Factory.
I wanted an IDP as I was flying to Dubai and the Jayanagar RTO were just looking at reasons to waste my time and not issuing the license, their answer was apart from us there is no one else who can issue the permit.

I just took the documents and said no worries, I shall drive without an license in Dubai and walked out with an smile leaving them puzzled and went straight to AAI office in st.marks road and in 20 mins time got the license and yes, became a life member as well.
Old 8th May 2015, 07:02   #345
BHPian

Quote:
As can be seen on http://www.aasindia.org/idp.html in the first bullet point, AASI services are available only to life members. I called them up last week and they confirmed the same. Hence, I went and paid to get the membership. Of course, there is the individual life membership, family life membership etc.
Yes. International Driving Permit services are available only to Life members even in Chennai office of AASI.

Generally in US, Car renting agencies allow the guys with home country licence printed in English to rent the cars and they don't care or ask about IDP. Did not have any issue so far.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks