Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th August 2015, 09:54   #376
BHPian

Re: The International Driving License (IDL) / International Driving Permit (IDP) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
I'm planning a USA visit soon and the problem is that my driving license photo has been slightly smudged after a decade of use (plastic one, not Smart card). To the extent that mobile phone companies now refuse it as a proof of ID.

a. Will getting an IDP solve this concern? Or do i need to postpone my travel till I get a new license issued? I do have a seven year old scan of the license with a clearer photo.
b. My 15 year old license is from Delhi, but my passport is from gurgaon. Will I get stuck on this whole NOC tamasha? How should I do it?
Hello Phamilyman! Answers to your question:

a. Just getting an IDP is not enough as it has to be accompanied with your original driving licence printed in English. Rental agencies accept your Original driving licence of native country printed in English and IDL is just an additional paper! Scan is not ok. Please refer to the DMV of respective States where you are proposing to visit!

b. Yes. This will pose a problem as your Passport address and driving license should be same. You may approach RTO for change of address and an IDP (IDL). Please don't take any risks! A clear driving licence is a must and not necessarily an IDP.

What type of visa is this! If it is B1/B2, most of the States in USA allow you to drive up to 180 days with a native country driving licence in English, stress again on English!
Gokrish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2015, 13:00   #377
Senior - BHPian

Re: The International Driving License (IDL) / International Driving Permit (IDP) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gokrish View Post
What type of visa is this! If it is B1/B2, most of the States in USA allow you to drive up to 180 days with a native country driving licence in English, stress again on English!
My DL is issued in Kerala and is in Engligh. It states "He is licensed to drive throughout India, vehicle of the following description..." This throughout India caused issues with the rental agency near my hotel since the lady interpreted it as valid only in India. I went the same rental agency's airport office and they gave me a car without as much as blinking an eye. So while DL in English might be enough, it is always safer to carry an IDP.

I don't think there is any requirement for the passport and DL addresses to be same. My DL has KL address while the passport has KA address. Didn't face any issue.

Last edited by Jaguar : 24th August 2015 at 13:01.
Old 24th August 2015, 21:15   #378
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gokrish View Post
Hello Phamilyman! Answers to your question:

a. Just getting an IDP is not enough as it has to be accompanied with your original driving licence printed in English. Rental agencies accept your Original driving licence of native country printed in English and IDL is just an additional paper! Scan is not ok. Please refer to the DMV of respective States where you are proposing to visit!

b. Yes. This will pose a problem as your Passport address and driving license should be same. You may approach RTO for change of address and an IDP (IDL). Please don't take any risks! A clear driving licence is a must and not necessarily an IDP.

Hi,

Thanks for replying.

My license is in English - I have a B1/b2 visa. i've rented a car in USA before, in Oct 2013. The photo was mostly visible then - now it isnt. That's the source of the worry.

(b) indicates I need to get the license reissued.

let's hope the AAP government in Delhi has helped speed up these processes. I only hope it doesn't get too late and too cold for the trip by the time I get my new DL.
Old 16th September 2015, 00:39   #379
Senior - BHPian

Guys I have a query. I will be travelling to the US on the 25th of this month. I guess rental agencies accept Indian licenses and they don't really ask for IDP. However, what about driving personal cars. My sister has a BMW 325i and I would love to get my hands on it. What documents will I need? Also what about insurance??
Old 16th September 2015, 01:40   #380
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
..However, what about driving personal cars. My sister has a BMW 325i and I would love to get my hands on it. What documents will I need? Also what about insurance??
For temporary visitors, the Indian DL will do fine. However, you might want to be aware of two technicalities, described:

1. Since your sister's car is presumed already insured, any insurance coverage is voided in an accident with you at the wheels, since you are not registered under her insurance coverage. Such a scenario will mean someone will have to spend money from their own pockets to get the car repaired.

2. While it is generally acceptable to drive on an Indian license for temporary visitors, this is also subjective. There have been instances where state troopers of the same state have differed in their interpretation of the law around using an international license, with $ 500 tickets issued in some of these cases for the international license not being recognized by a state trooper.

If you have plans for driving for a significant part of the trip, a rental car would seem to be a better idea.
Old 16th September 2015, 03:15   #381
Distinguished - BHPian

Do not even think about driving without proper insurance cover. Not only are the potential third-party claims against you potentially limitless, but it is probably a criminal offence. Well, it is in UK; I expect America is the same. (it is in India, isn't it?)
Old 3rd October 2015, 17:38   #382
BHPian

I got my International Driving Permit today here in Hyderabad. It was an easy and hassle free process. It took me about an hour from the start till the end. For the benefit of those who would want to know the process, I am listing down the same.

Step 1) I went to the west zone RTO office in Hyderabad at 9Am and was told the office only starts the operations at 10:30 Am.

Step 2) At 10:30 Am, i was allowed to get into the main building and I immediately went to the Help desk where i was given three forms (Two Medical and One for the IDP). The total cost here was Rs. 8 for all the three forms. Please remember, do not take your own copy which is sourced from the internet. They surely want everyone to buy the forms right there.

Step 3) The forms were Form 1A, Form 1 & Form 4A. The details asked were quiet easy to answer. The details asked were
a) Personal Details
b) Existing Driving License Details
c) Passport details and Visa Details
d) Medical History Questions
It would not take more than 5 minutes to complete this. Remember to take your own pen and if possible a glue stick and more than anything lots of loose currency/Coins

Step 4) I went to Counter No 4 then and i was asked to do the medical test. The doctor sits right in the next room and charges about Rs 100 for signing the document for you.

Step 5) After the medical you have to the senior officer who will verify your original passport, Visa and Driving License. He will ask you some questions about your Date of Birth and other related questions which are already mentioned on your passport/DL. He then signs the Form 4A and gives it back to you

Step 6) Go back to counter 4 with the below documents(This is the last thing for the day)
a) Form 4A - Signed by the Officer
b) Form 1A & Form 1 - Signed by Medical Officer
c) Copy of your passport, Visa & Driving License. Please ensure you take print of all the pages of the passport which are relevant( I took a picture the outer Cover, The first page, the page where my pic is there, Visa page and the last page where other important details are mentioned.
d) here you need to make a payment of Rs. 650/- and after another quick verification, you are given a receipt.

Step 7:- You will have to take that receipt and go for a Digital Photo in the RTO Photo Booth(won't take more than a sec here). After the click, I was asked to come between 4Pm - 5Pm in the evening and collect the IDP.

Step 8:- I carried the receipt that i was issued in the morning at 4:30Pm today and came out with me IDP.

Hope this helps.

PS: By the way, I was asked Rs 2500/- by the agent to get this thing done. I was told many horror stories by the agent to lure me to give him business but i decided to get it myself

Last edited by joelchandra : 3rd October 2015 at 17:40.
joelchandra is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th October 2015, 14:40   #383
BHPian

My IDL has been issued at Oman. My India DL has expired many years ago. It shall not be possible to renew it as, presently I do not have an address proof of that location. With my Oman IDL and Oman DL, am I within the legal famework of the MV Act if I drive in India?

Are the cops in India aware of IDL issued outside India?
Old 7th October 2015, 16:06   #384
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALTIMAed View Post
My IDL has been issued at Oman. My India DL has expired many years ago. It shall not be possible to renew it as, presently I do not have an address proof of that location. With my Oman IDL and Oman DL, am I within the legal famework of the MV Act if I drive in India?

Are the cops in India aware of IDL issued outside India?
Are you in India on a visit or are you a permanent resident of India? If you are a resident of Oman and visiting India, you should be fine with Oman DL + IDP. Cops may be aware of IDP, but many a time they will not bother if the original DL is in Roman script. In your case, if the Oman DL is in Arabic script, they will definitely ask for IDP.

If you are a permanent resident of India, then you are supposed to get an Indian DL.
Old 7th October 2015, 17:47   #385
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reverse_gear View Post
Are you in India on a visit or are you a permanent resident of India? If you are a resident of Oman and visiting India, you should be fine with Oman DL + IDP. Cops may be aware of IDP, but many a time they will not bother if the original DL is in Roman script. In your case, if the Oman DL is in Arabic script, they will definitely ask for IDP.

If you are a permanent resident of India, then you are supposed to get an Indian DL.
Thanks a lot.

I am an Indian passport holder, having been working at Oman since 2005. I have resident proof of Delhi. On enquiring at the Janakpuri RTO (under which my residence address comes), they said I shall have to apply for a new DL. They shall issue a temporary DL for 30 days, only after that can I apply for a permanent DL. I do get 30 days annual leave, but unfortunately my management does not let me off for more than 10 days at a stretch. So getting the DL is ruled out. I just hope that my Oman DL and IDL get me through any checking that may happen.
Old 8th October 2015, 08:01   #386
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALTIMAed View Post
Thanks a lot.

I am an Indian passport holder, having been working at Oman since 2005. I have resident proof of Delhi. On enquiring at the Janakpuri RTO (under which my residence address comes), they said I shall have to apply for a new DL. They shall issue a temporary DL for 30 days, only after that can I apply for a permanent DL. I do get 30 days annual leave, but unfortunately my management does not let me off for more than 10 days at a stretch. So getting the DL is ruled out. I just hope that my Oman DL and IDL get me through any checking that may happen.

I am not sure what your RTO contact told you, but overseas residents who are visiting India for tourist visits quite routinely drive in India on their DL issued overseas. This is very much allowed. So you should be ok.
Old 31st October 2015, 15:47   #387
Senior - BHPian

I wanted to get IDP and visited KA 51 RTO. Unfortunately, they don't accept DL in normal card. They accept only smart card. My license expires in Feb 16. I can apply for smart card or renew DL (the new DL will be a smart card). Which one should I go for?
Old 17th November 2015, 10:17   #388
BHPian

In order to ease the process of getting a DL in Canada, I need to carry what is called a "Authentication Letter" or a driving experience letter from the RTO here. Anyone know what this means and if the RTO people would have any clue when requested?
Old 17th November 2015, 10:21   #389
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
I wanted to get IDP and visited KA 51 RTO. Unfortunately, they don't accept DL in normal card. They accept only smart card. My license expires in Feb 16. I can apply for smart card or renew DL (the new DL will be a smart card). Which one should I go for?
You could check with Automobile Association of Southern India if they will issue an IDP with your license. They are also an approved IDP issuing authority. It would be bit expensive (approx. 4K for life membership) but you can use them for other RTO work in the future.
adnaps is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2015, 13:35   #390
BHPian

I will be travelling to the US in the end of December and I plan to drive there. I currently have a booklet type DL issued in Mysore. I guess this might not be allowed in the US. I currently reside in Bangalore and want to get the DL converted to card type with the Bangalore address. Can it be done in this one month time frame? What all are the requirements to get it done? Should I approach a driving school?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks