Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th January 2016, 23:19   #391
Pal
BHPian

Re: The International Driving License (IDL) / International Driving Permit (IDP) Thread

Hi guys!

I am currently in Bahrain since a few months and should remain here till the 3rd quat of 2016.

Could somebody guide me as to why my International Driving Licence issued by WIAA, Mumbai is invalid here? None of the rental car agencies accept it. Even the transport authorities here do not recognise it and I am required to go through a 22hr training - 2hrs each, twice a week - (which I do not mind) and a 8-9months long waiting period for the actual test! This, despite the fact that I was assured by the WIAA department about it being valid in Bahrain. It even mentions this on its website and further in print on the actual document. Any clues how I can sort this out quickly?

(P.s. - Britishers are lucky. Despite being all RHD users, an UK expat only needs to show his/her valid British DL and is immediately issued a permanent Bahraini DL!)

Last edited by Pal : 8th January 2016 at 23:22. Reason: Correcting a typo
Old 9th January 2016, 09:25   #392
BANNED

Re: The International Driving License (IDL) / International Driving Permit (IDP) Thread

afaik, IDP is valid for one year, but only three months in any county. By and large only the one year is followed. It has no validity as far as getting a permanent license is concerned. You may get some reduction in the training requirements with your Indian License. That is all. It is similar in Dubai, with a British (I guess EU) license you get it on demand, while an Indian license just gets you some reduction in the requirements.
Old 11th January 2016, 18:57   #393

Just Got my International Driving Permit today at Chennai Thiruvanmiyur RTO. I have listed down the procedure below.
1. Download and Fill Form 1, Form1A and Form 4A. Take 4 photos with you(2 for the application and 2 for the RTO record)
2. Check at the helpdesk, you will be redirected to a superintendent lady. She will verify your documents and sign it.
3. Then you have to get it signed from PRO officer.
4. Now you have to make a payment of Rs1000 at the cash counter.
5. The receipt has 2 copies, keep one for yourself and stick the second one to your application form and submit it to the Tapal section. The clerk in the section will ask you to sign in a book and comeback in the eve to collect the license.
6. Go between 4-6pm and collect the licence. I was issued a booklet type International Licence.

Just need a confirmation whether booklet type International licence is valid in the US. I have booked a car with a car rental agency and they asked for an International licence, just want the make sure before hand so that I dont face any last minute suprises.
madroxx is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2016, 19:31   #394
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madroxx View Post
Just need a confirmation whether booklet type International licence is valid in the US. I have booked a car with a car rental agency and they asked for an International licence, just want the make sure before hand so that I dont face any last minute suprises.
In most US states, any DL in English should be fine. IDP is bonus
msdivy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2016, 17:57   #395
Senior - BHPian

How are the rules in Canada. Is an Indian drivers license enough?
Old 19th February 2016, 14:22   #396
BHPian

Dear Friends,
After going through the thread, I am even more confused about the need for IDP.
I have visited Europe and USA in past and have had no problems with my Indian Driving License with rental cars.
I am planning to visit New Zealand and some search landed me to this thread.
I wanted to know if IDP is really required and if some one has first hand knowledge of New Zealand.
Old 6th March 2016, 19:58   #397
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooltronics View Post
Dear Friends,
After going through the thread, I am even more confused about the need for IDP.
I have visited Europe and USA in past and have had no problems with my Indian Driving License with rental cars.
I am planning to visit New Zealand and some search landed me to this thread.
I wanted to know if IDP is really required and if some one has first hand knowledge of New Zealand.
We visited New Zealand and rented and drove with my India driving license for a couple of weeks. No problems at all.
BenjiRoss is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th March 2016, 12:46   #398
Senior - BHPian

I currently reside in Bangalore, but I got my MH license issued in Bombay couple of years back as I was resident there when I had turned 18.

Now. is it feasible to get an IDP from KA RTO with an MH license? I have not yet updated the address on my license, it still points to my Bombay address which is not valid anymore as my parents moved out a couple of months back.

Apologies, if a similar question has been answered already in the thread previously.
Old 11th March 2016, 13:02   #399
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by praful View Post
I currently reside in Bangalore, but I got my MH license issued in Bombay couple of years back as I was resident there when I had turned 18.

Now. is it feasible to get an IDP from KA RTO with an MH license? I have not yet updated the address on my license, it still points to my Bombay address which is not valid anymore as my parents moved out a couple of months back.

Apologies, if a similar question has been answered already in the thread previously.
RTO KA has this note in IDP: http://rto.kar.nic.in/IDP-PROCcss.html
Quote:
SPECIAL NOTE : In case of driving licence belonging to other regions/state , the applicant should apply and obtain change of address in the driving licence. In case of licence issued by other regions within karnataka state the time required for change of address is three days, and in case of driving licence issued by other states the time required is 21 days. Therefore the applicant keeping the time required in mind, should plan well in advance while making an application for IDP.
BTW, the time for IDP processing is 7 days, earlier it was same day (3 years back). Now 2 extra steps are added to the process,
1) Before submission, the form has be verified & signed by DL section (Room 4 in RTO KA 51).
2) Application form has to be entered in to computer and receipt is issued.

Also note that only smart card DL is accepted. Please plan accordingly.
msdivy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th March 2016, 13:13   #400
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
Now, that's news. Have been using Booklet DL all along.

Booklet was also accepted in US, surprised to see this new change
Old 11th March 2016, 14:55   #401
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
RTO KA has this note in IDP: http://rto.kar.nic.in/IDP-PROCcss.html

BTW, the time for IDP processing is 7 days, earlier it was same day (3 years back). Now 2 extra steps are added to the process,
1) Before submission, the form has be verified & signed by DL section (Room 4 in RTO KA 51).
2) Application form has to be entered in to computer and receipt is issued.

Thank you for sharing the links!

So looks like I will have to go back to Bombay RTO, update my KA address into that. Once that is done, I should be able to apply for an IDP from KA RTO, of course with a 21 day expected lead time in mind.

Its good thing I got my booklet DL, 'upgraded' to smart card DL a few years back.

Thanks again !!
Old 21st June 2016, 11:19   #402
BHPian

Hello Guys.

I went through the posts and posting the question again here because I think some of the rules may have changed.

1. I have Bangalore DL-got it done when i was still young . Later on I moveed around different parts of the country and currently have passport which has an address in Chennai

2. Im planning to travel to Spain for 15 days and drive around. Do I need an IDP to drive in Spain and with my restictions above, How do I get it?

Regards
Arjun
Old 30th June 2016, 11:22   #403
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

I will be driving in Iceland for about 10 days in October. Any idea if Indians need IDL/IDP to drive a self-drive rental car in Iceland? Most websites say no, but still thought of getting a confirmation from first hand sources.

Thanks,
Arunabh
Old 7th July 2016, 13:42   #404

I got one in 2014. Was issued by Mysore, RTO. My address is the same everywhere. So had no issues. IDP was valid for 1 year only. Paid a fee of Rs.500/- , attached photocopy of visa, photos and medical report. Got it on the 3rd day. No hassles whatsoever.
Went on a road trip in Europe with that. Covered parts of Germany & Austria. The autobahn drive was an absolute delight.
Old 9th September 2016, 09:55   #405
BHPian

I was doing some research for my Canada travel, and found that if one is visiting Canada on a Visitor's Visa, he/she does not need an IDP and can drive on the basis of your home country driving license, provided the same is in English. If it is not, one can get it translated in English, from one of the approved translators.

In Canada, Traffic Laws vary from Province to Province. However, I understand that this provision regarding driving on Home Country's Driving License, when travelling for short duration on Visitor's Visa, should be the same for all provinces, though I have personally searched only for the provinces I will be visiting. The period for which one can drive using the Home Country's Driver's License, however, varies. For Some Provinces, it is 3 months and for some it is upto 6 months.

Links below:

Ontario: https://www.ontario.ca/page/drive-ontario-visitors

Alberta: http://www.servicealberta.gov.ab.ca/pdf/mv/GDL_UG.pdf (See the Section regarding Visitors)

British Columbia: http://www.icbc.com/FAQ/Pages/New-to...siting-BC.aspx

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks