Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th July 2017, 01:21   #451
BHPian

Re: The International Driving License (IDL) / International Driving Permit (IDP) Thread

So went down to the Thane RTO to sort this out today. Unfortunately, I cannot get a IDP due to the following reason:

1) The visa must be stamped in the passport. In-spite of spending time and explaining elaborately how Indonesia provides visa on arrival, the officer was just acting thick and asked me to provide the visa evidence. Wasted efforts !

2) Due to my building being stuck in redevelopment since forever, I am currently residing in a temporary accomodation on which I had renewed my passport. Hence, my permanent address on my license is different to the temporary one in my passport. Not allowed ! Both the address must be the same for the IDP to be processed.

Literally was a waste of time.
Old 12th July 2017, 01:40   #452
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The International Driving License (IDL) / International Driving Permit (IDP) Thread

Quote:
The visa must be stamped in the passport.
As far as I'm aware, you don't even need to have a visa to apply for an IDP. Or even be going anywhere! Does one even need to have a passport?*

Given that, I wouldn't trust anything else the guy says. Do you have any alternative? Here in Chennai, AA of Southern India issues them. You have to join, but... service with a smile

*ok, ok, someone with no passport and no plans to travel is hardly likely to apply for an IDP. It would be silly. But I'm saying they could!
Old 12th July 2017, 10:20   #453
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
As far as I'm aware, you don't even need to have a visa to apply for an IDP. Or even be going anywhere! Does one even need to have a passport?*

Given that, I wouldn't trust anything else the guy says. Do you have any alternative? Here in Chennai, AA of Southern India issues them. You have to join, but... service with a smile

*ok, ok, someone with no passport and no plans to travel is hardly likely to apply for an IDP. It would be silly. But I'm saying they could!
Bangalore AASI insists on a life membership plus passport with valid visa and copy of air tickets along with the secondary formalities like medical form, 2 pictures etc. I got mine OTC in 10 minutes flat.
Old 12th July 2017, 10:43   #454
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Wait, what?

Don't know if you speak from experience, but every time someone from my family has applied for an IDP (and we have, about five times), we've had to attach a copy of at least the visa and passport, and for good measure, flight tickets.

My IDP has in fact, even mentioned the country I was traveling to.

I've used the AAI-Pune chapter for getting my IDP; takes 1-3 days, depending on what day you submit the documents. You just visit the AAI office to submit the documents and collect the IDP, not the RTO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Bangalore AASI insists on a life membership plus passport with valid visa and copy of air tickets along with the secondary formalities like medical form, 2 pictures etc. I got mine OTC in 10 minutes flat.
The AAI chapter in Pune extended the IDP service to yearly members when I approached them in 2012 and my father in 2013; but when I checked in 2016, they insisted that only life members will be given this service.

Life membership is 5k.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 12th July 2017 at 10:44.
Old 12th July 2017, 14:50   #455
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Wait, what?

Don't know if you speak from experience, but every time someone from my family has applied for an IDP (and we have, about five times), we've had to attach a copy of at least the visa and passport, and for good measure, flight tickets.
I confess... I am a citizen of the country I intended to drive in. Yes, this might well make a big difference. But I don't remember them (AASI) making an issue of where I was going.

But either way, an IDP is International, and valid for a year, not for a visit[s] to a specific country. bureaucracy gone mad!

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 12th July 2017 at 14:52.
Old 12th July 2017, 16:18   #456
BHPian

I am unable to understand why anyone wants to get an IDP in the first place !!

When I lived in Dubai (in the first decade of this century) I used to get an IDP every time I travelled abroad, because I used to rent a car and drive around. Getting an IDP in Dubai was very easy. It cost 100 Dirhams (about 27 USD) and took 10 minutes.

However, I found that the car rental companies were not interested in looking at my IDP. All they wanted was my driving licence and credit card. This happened time and again, in USA, UK, New Zealand, Canada etc. So I stopped getting an IDP.

When I returned to India in 2011 I found that an IDP costs Rs 6,000 (in Kolkata), requires a Doctor's certificate (perhaps because I was over 60), and takes several hours. So I didn't bother to get one.

Since then I have travelled (by renting cars) in USA, Ireland, UK, Denmark, Sweden, Norway etc, all without anyone asking for an IDP.

So, why IDP?
benu9714 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2017, 16:29   #457
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by benu9714 View Post
So, why IDP?
This question has become popular!

I think the necessity of an IDP comes from the time when smart card DLs weren't being issued or as popular in non-metro RTOs.

Eg. When I was studying in Manipal, my friends got a booklet type DL in Kannada, even in '08 from the Udupi RTO.

This, when I had got the smart card DL in Pune, back in '05.

So, for ease of reading and eliminating local language factor, an IDP was absolutely necessary.

Also, at least a few US states (NJ and NC for example) don't accept the Indian DL.

IDP has largely become redundant but for that very one-off case, it becomes essential.
libranof1987 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th July 2017, 18:52   #458
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benu9714 View Post
When I returned to India in 2011 I found that an IDP costs Rs 6,000 (in Kolkata), requires a Doctor's certificate (perhaps because I was over 60)
No, it requires a medical certificate. And the right medical certificate too: even AASI could not help me when I downloaded and got a doctor's signature on the wrong form: I had to go around the block again with the right form

Quote:
So, why IDP?
You're probably right. I rarely go abroad these days, let alone plan to drive when I get there. I'd probably get comfortable without one too.

The last one was a complete waste of money. I took one look at the orderly way in which my one-time-compatriot Brits drove and chickened out!

(My British licence ceased to be valid when I was no longer resident, and has now, post-60, expired completely)
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2017, 16:22   #459
Senior - BHPian

A colleague wants to rent a motor bike in Bali next month. He wanted to know if IDP is a pre-requisite. Can anyone please clarify?

I have rented a car on my Indian License in Langkawi, Malaysia, but I am not aware of Indonesia.
Old 17th August 2017, 18:30   #460
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
A colleague wants to rent a motor bike in Bali next month. He wanted to know if IDP is a pre-requisite. Can anyone please clarify?

I have rented a car on my Indian License in Langkawi, Malaysia, but I am not aware of Indonesia.
You need an Intl Driving License.You need to carry both your Intl license as well as your Indian license and they would issue a temporary Balinese license(a tourist driver license)from Jl Gunung Sanhyang Police station in Denpasar 0800-1300Local Time.I heard this has been relaxed now and you can get a license issued from any of the police stations in Denpasar.Loads of brokers around.

The hotel where your friend is staying should be able to arrange the forms and take him there for the formalities(good to have someone(hotel reccomended broker) who would speak Bahasa,the license is issued same day.It used to cost about USD30.Remember to carry a passport size photo alongwith Passport copies and original Passport as well.If he is ready to pay a few more dollars,he can get it processed via the Foreigner Applicant Line (something akin to our Tatkal scheme )Heard recently that they need a medical form to be completed too.(Rules there keep changing at the drop of a hat,so if his luck is good,he would get his license).Inputs from my cousin who stays in INA.
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2017, 18:40   #461
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Quote:
All I needed in Tourist friendly Bali was a copy of my Passport and room details to rent out a bike
See Post 449 of this thread
slicvic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2017, 23:24   #462
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicvic View Post
See Post 449 of this thread
It is in complete contrast to Ranjith's post above. I've advised him to be safe than sorry. So he is indeed applying for an IDP.
Old 25th September 2017, 13:25   #463
BHPian

Hi,

I was trying to apply for IDP service online through https://parivahan.gov.in/sarathiservice/envaction.do for my Pune RTO license. After filling in details on first couple of pages, I was displayed a page to select service I need to apply for and IDP was missing in there with a foot note:
"*ISSUE OF IDP service will be provided only when DL backlog is approved"

Can someone help me with what does the DL backlog exactly means and do I need to do anything to get it approved?
Old 25th September 2017, 13:31   #464
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagara999 View Post
Can someone help me with what does the DL backlog exactly means and do I need to do anything to get it approved?
Oops. Thanks for this heads up. I too need to get an IDP before proceeding on an upcoming overseas trip.

As unpleasant as it sounds, if you are in a hurry, I would recommend you consider getting it done through an 'agent' at the RTO.

PS - They may also ask for your passport and visa at the RTO. Also, depending on the country you're going to and how long you intend staying there you may be able to drive temporarily (generally between 1-12 months from date of arrival, depending on the Country & State) using your Indian DL. Check the Consular website of that country where they generally have a FAQ for visitors

PPS - See here https://www.extravelmoney.com/blog/c...ence-is-valid/ Please reverify this information from an appropriate authoritative source.

Last edited by R2D2 : 25th September 2017 at 13:52. Reason: Added PS & PPS
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2017, 18:08   #465
BHPian

I need an International Driving Permit. I am travelling to UAE in December. I am currently working in Mumbai. Problem is my address is in Kerala(both passport and DL). Can I get the IDP issued from Mumbai RTO?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks