Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th September 2018, 21:35   #526
BHPian

Re: The International Driving License (IDL) / International Driving Permit (IDP) Thread

Had a terrible time today dealing with multiple govt offices. My DL and Passport have different address but the online site for scheduling IDP appointment does not say anything about addresses so I took an appointment and went to the Vasant Vihar (Delhi) RTO where my license was originally made from. The guy looked at the address in my license and told me this has to be processed in the IP estate RTO. I tried reasoning with him and the MLO but they didn't budge.

So I went to the IP Estate RTO (30 minutes/10 kms away). There the officer in charge went ballistic because he said the Vasant Vihar guys are just giving us work and since the license is from there, they should handle this case.
This time, I lost my cool and asked them to sort it out themselves and raised my voice a little. So, they decided to take my case. Finally, when the guy started entering some data in his computer, he saw my passport and DL and said the addresses don't match and the IDP can't be issued. This time, I went to the MLO and asked him to explain me where on their fancy new parivahan site does this new rule exist? He said we'll update the site. We argued for a while and I shouted (more than I should have) at him, but in the end I had to give up and I came back.

If you've read the story so far, this is what I've figured.

1. The Indian bureaucracy doesn't really want you to move houses or (god forbid) cities.
2. If you do move, make sure you don't want anything from the govt.
3. Find an agent if you do want to get any work done from the govt.
4. I'm being sarcastic, cause I'm frustrated, so please don't mind this. Mods, please delete this post, if you think its not appropriate.

Now, my question is: Is getting an IDP via the upper india automobile association a better idea or will they also send the documentation to the RTO in the end?
sharninder is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2018, 00:52   #527
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The International Driving License (IDL) / International Driving Permit (IDP) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharninder View Post
Now, my question is: Is getting an IDP via the upper india automobile association a better idea or will they also send the documentation to the RTO in the end?
My experience is a few years ago, and with the Automobile Association of Southern India.

You need to be a member, and will have to pay for that if you are not.

You need to get the medical certificate signed by a government-recognised doc.

The AASI issue the IDP themselves. They do not send you to any RTO. They are independently authorised to issue IDP.

They will insist that all paperwork is correct. I m a UK citizen, and UK passports do not carry addresses anyway. I do not know if they will require your Indian passport with matching address. Otherwise, they are driver-centric, and do what they do as a service to you. You might find this to be different to dealing with some RTO bureaucrats AASI have two or three IDPs for me over the years.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2018, 06:49   #528
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharninder View Post
I don’t know about the UIAA but at least in Bombay, the WIAA which issues IDP insists that your passport and license need to have the same Bombay address for them to do this for you. Process is simple if that is the case. The first time I wanted an IDP back in 2010, my license still had an older address and hence I had to make do without one. WIAA also helps you renew licenses and change the address - but back in 2011 when I did this, it took 3 months for my license to come back from the RTO due to some issue at the RTO end. BTW, lots of countries are fine without an IDP if your license is in English - so please check that option.
Hayek is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2018, 08:01   #529
Team-BHP Support

This can potentially come into effect only after March 2019 but:

Quote:
British driving licences may no longer be valid in the EU in the event of a no-deal Brexit, the government has admitted.

The latest batch of Whitehall planning papers revealed lorry drivers and holidaymakers could be forced to obtain permits for the countries they visit, similar to those already used to drive in some states in the United States or Japan.
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-a8536061.html
Old 14th September 2018, 09:37   #530
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post
BTW, lots of countries are fine without an IDP if your license is in English - so please check that option.
I've made do without an IDP so far in the US and few south east asian countries but Sri Lanka apparently insists on an IDP, at least the rental agencies I've spoken to say so far told me this. In any case, I still have some time so I can either just figure out taxis which isn't that tough there, or stay in Colombo for a couple of day in the beginning instead of at the end of the trip, and get myself a temp sri lankan license from their RTO.
Old 14th September 2018, 12:39   #531
Distinguished - BHPian

Just a general reminder that whatever another country's legal requirements may be, rental companies make up their own terms and conditions, and they are likely to vary from company to company.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th September 2018, 11:34   #532
BHPian

My car license is in booklet form and really in tatters. It was issued by Yeshwantpur RTO, Bengaluru in Jan 2000 and due to expire in Jan 2020.

I am planning for Europe tour in May 2019, and would be driving in Germany and France.

1. Is IDP required in these two countries? As my DL is in booklet form, and torn, is it advisable to go for the card format, if IDP is not required?

If IDP is required,

2. Last time when I was planning to get IDP for driving in USA, the RTO guys told me to get it converted to card format. Is it mandatory for the DL to be in card format for IDP issuance? Due to time paucity, just did not try applying for IDP then.

3. The address in passport and DL are different. So visa will be having passport address. Read in this thread that RTO had raised objections for different addresses. But in my case both addresses fall under same RTO jurisdiction.

So is it required for me to get ready with the DL in card format with correct address before going for IDP once the visa is issued?
Old 8th October 2018, 14:51   #533
Team-BHP Support

Here's the list of countries that allow the Indian DL. Although it is still advisable that one calls and confirms with the rental agency.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/66112767.cms
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2018, 05:55   #534
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltoLXI View Post
I am planning for Europe tour in May 2019, and would be driving in Germany and France.
I drive all the time in the US and use a card license from Chennai. It was issued in 2000 too. Earlier this year I left it in a rental car by mistake and returned it. I have been using a color xerox since then atleast 10+ times. This includes Italy and Romania.
You don't need an IDP on short trips. Choose a rental agency that is main stream. I chose Avis in Romania and Europecar in Italy (both last week and this week in the US). In the US I generally use Enterprise and recently used Hertz. In Germany I have used Sixt.
Address match on PP and DL is not needed.
I recommend you get the card format done. On one occasion at Avis, in the US, the counter lady did lug out a manual showing her the format of licenses for all states in India. Mine was not listed but I got the car anyway. That time Enterprise had no cars available that day. I suggest you make advance reservations at your port of entries and it does not require making any upfront payment. Take insurance without fail with zero deductible if you can afford it.
Take cars that support Android auto and you will not need to rent a GPS. I usually carry my GPS to all countries as a backup.
diyguy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th November 2018, 11:50   #535
BHPian

I applied for an IDP at Haryana (license and passport same address -- I know this has been an issue in the past) but this time the IDP in Haryana surfaces a new problem. It appears to be issued PER country!

I in fact wanted one for Jordan, but since I was going to get a visa on arrival I just listed the details of my US visa and thus the US as the country on the form (you can only choose one) -- and guess what -- my IDP says "Country applied for: USA".

I dont know if my IDP is valid for other countries or if I need to get one for each country. I know the IDP by definition should allow driving in all countries where IDPs are recognized but the RTO thinks otherwise! Do you know if I should get another IDP?!!!

Last edited by danish_c : 15th November 2018 at 11:51. Reason: grammar
Old 15th November 2018, 16:30   #536
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by danish_c View Post
It appears to be issued PER country!
Why do you need an IDP? Your Indian license is very much valid in most countries when you are on a short business or holiday trip.
Old 15th November 2018, 16:43   #537
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
Why do you need an IDP? Your Indian license is very much valid in most countries when you are on a short business or holiday trip.
Thanks, yes I know it is -- but its also not valid in many -- You cant drive in Italy or Spain without one for instance.

I'm just trying to figure out how to get it the right way. Some rentals in Jordan for instance insist on one and I wanted to get one and I dont know if the one I have is valid. Does the country name printed mean its endorsed only for that country? That wouldn't make sense but the RTO seems to think so!
Old 15th November 2018, 16:45   #538
BHPian

Quote:
You cant drive in Italy or Spain without one for instance.
I was in Italy twice last month and heading there next week. My license was accepted without a second look. Infact it was my duplicate one as I had lost my original. It worked in Romania as well.
Old 15th November 2018, 16:48   #539
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
I was in Italy twice last month and heading there next week. My license was accepted without a second look. Infact it was my duplicate one as I had lost my original. It worked in Romania as well.

What "works" and whats required by law may be two different things.
Old 15th November 2018, 17:14   #540
BHPian

Quote:
I dont know if my IDP is valid for other countries or if I need to get one for each country. I know the IDP by definition should allow driving in all countries where IDPs are recognized but the RTO thinks otherwise! Do you know if I should get another IDP?!!!
I don't think it is country specific. The RTO generally uses the visa you submit to issue the IDP. But the IDP itself is nothing but a confirmation of your license and translation into a number of different languages.

I have in the past taken an IDP for a trip to Germany/ Austria/ Switz, and then, within it's validity period of 1 year, used it in other countries.

OT: when renting a car, the requirement of IDP is entirely a function of what the renting agency chooses to do. Normally, they are happy enough to just get a customer, and the last thing they want to do is risk losing him because he does not have an IDP. But if you happen to get caught by cops or get involved in an accident for any reason, it may be an expensive mistake if you are foul of the rules.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks