Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th February 2021, 16:47   #586
Senior - BHPian

Re: The International Driving License (IDL) / International Driving Permit (IDP) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharatbits View Post

As you seem to be in UAE which is the best self drive rental option in UAE?
All biggies of RentACar world are there in Dubai. You are spoilt for choice there.

Last trip I used a company called Eurostar. Pretty good value for money rates they had at that point of time . Less than AED 100 per day (Yaris Hatch) with unlimited KM and CWD (Collision waiver Deposit). Nice cars as well

Best Regards & Drive Safe
Old 4th March 2021, 10:26   #587
Senior - BHPian

Re: The International Driving License (IDL) / International Driving Permit (IDP) Thread

UAE: Indians can renew International driving license at embassy

Indian living in the United Arab Emirates can now renew their International Driving Permit (IDP) at the Indian embassy.

The International Driving License (IDL) / International Driving Permit (IDP) Thread-img_5456.jpg

The Indian Embassy in Abu Dhabi has reportedly announced that IDPs will be re-issued to Indian nationals from February 15, 2021. Expats will be able to avail of this consular service between 8.30 am and 12.30 pm on all working days (Sunday to Thursday). Applicants will be charged Dh 40 as consular service fee and Dh 8 as Indian Community Welfare Fund (ICWF) charge.

Those applying for renewal of IDP are required to present a valid passport, expired IDP / IDP number and their Indian driving license. Besides these documents, applicants will have to submit the Miscellaneous Consular Service Form (EAP-II).

All the relevant documents along with the receipt issued by the embassy will have to be uploaded to the mParivahan portal, where the applicant will also be prompted to pay the IDP fees. Once all the documents are verified, the licensing authority will courier the IDP directly to the residential address of the applicant.

Indians living in Dubai and the northern emirates will have to go through the same process. The fees will also be the same. However, instead of visiting the consulate, they will have to visit the IVS office for document submission.

Source: Hindustan Times

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by TusharK : 4th March 2021 at 10:40.
TusharK is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2021, 10:46   #588
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
UAE: Indians can renew International driving license at embassy

Indian living in the United Arab Emirates can now renew their International Driving Permit (IDP) at the Indian embassy.

The Indian Embassy in Abu Dhabi has reportedly announced that IDPs will be re-issued to Indian nationals from February 15, 2021. Expats will be able to avail of this consular service between 8.30 am and 12.30 pm on all working days (Sunday to Thursday). Applicants will be charged Dh 40 as consular service fee and Dh 8 as Indian Community Welfare Fund (ICWF) charge.

Those applying for renewal of IDP are required to present a valid passport, expired IDP / IDP number and their Indian driving license. Besides these documents, applicants will have to submit the Miscellaneous Consular Service Form (EAP-II).

All the relevant documents along with the receipt issued by the embassy will have to be uploaded to the mParivahan portal, where the applicant will also be prompted to pay the IDP fees. Once all the documents are verified, the licensing authority will courier the IDP directly to the residential address of the applicant.

Indians living in Dubai and the northern emirates will have to go through the same process. The fees will also be the same. However, instead of visiting the consulate, they will have to visit the IVS office for document submission.
This is indeed a good service but I'm not sure who this is aimed at. Indian residents in the UAE will have the UAE license already. It would've been more interesting if an Indian IDP could be freshly issued from the UAE.
dragracer567 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2021, 10:49   #589
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragracer567 View Post
This is indeed a good service but I'm not sure who this is aimed at. Indian residents in the UAE will have the UAE license already. It would've been more interesting if an Indian IDP could be freshly issued from the UAE.
Can NRI's living in UAE drive cars with just an IDP or would they need a UAE license?
Old 4th March 2021, 11:00   #590
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirWind View Post
Can NRI's living in UAE drive cars with just an IDP or would they need a UAE license?
As a resident, you can't drive with an IDP and need to apply for a UAE license. But as a tourist, an IDP with do.
dragracer567 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2021, 21:22   #591
BHPian

I wonder if anyone has come across this. @mods I'm not sure if this belongs in another thread but it can be a game changer and a massive time saver for souls like me who detest having to deal with agents and RTOs.

https://www.moneycontrol.com/news/in...02661.html/amp

A host of services including renewal of license or IDP and even registration certificates to be moved to am online portal and go contactless through Aadhar verification!
Annibaddh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2021, 08:29   #592
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragracer567 View Post
As a resident, you can't drive with an IDP and need to apply for a UAE license. But as a tourist, an IDP with do.
What is the case for a visit visa holder? Is IDP ( which is issued in india) enough to drive in UAE?
Old 7th April 2021, 15:02   #593
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2TR-FE View Post
What is the case for a visit visa holder? Is IDP ( which is issued in india) enough to drive in UAE?
Yes, a visit visa holder can drive with an IDP
Old 4th May 2021, 18:10   #594
BHPian

My IDP expired in Feb 2020. After that the lockdowns started and all travel came to a halt. Hence I did not renew it. Now I might have to travel in future whenever the flight bans are relaxed hence thought of applying and getting the IDP.

I applied through the MPARIVAHAN portal. Have to fill up the basic details about existing DL, Passport and Visa Numbers and then upload the documents i.e. DL/Passport/Visa. Did not ask for the air ticket. Also paid the fees of Rs 1500/-. Got an appointment at the RTO on the portal and took print outs of the payment receipt Application form and one more form. It did not ask for the Medical certificate.

Went to the RTO with the application form 3 pp size photos and also original and photocopy of the DL/PP/Visa as it was mentioned in the portal. Though documents are uploaded online then why is the requirement to take photocopies??! Anyway the RTO was not crowded the first person who checked the documents asked for the Medical certificate, when I told him online it said no need to provide the medical certificate form he said no its required. He asked me to goto a tout sitting opposite the RTO who will give the medical certificate form with his signature

I got that for a fee of Rs 120. Gave the documents at the RTO. Now he asked for Air Ticket I again told him in the required documents mentioned online Air ticket is not asked. He was grumbling and told to inform the same to his higher up which I did and they accepted it. I told there are currently no international flights and I might have to fly at short notice after getting a -ve COVID test so I have not booked the ticket yet. I could have provided a dummy ticket but I did not want to do it as clearly the rule to produce an Air Ticket has been removed in the MPARIVAHAN portal. The RTO officers are not aware of it or just that they don't want to change the process and keep following the age old rules.

In all I took around the documents to 5 persons in RTO they accepted the application without the Air Ticket. And a 6th person took my photo and digital signature. The next day they asked me to collect the IDP with validity for 1 year.
Another Rs 200 they charged as Tabal fees or something. So in total it costed Rs 1820/-.

In 2017 and 2019 when I had applied for the IDP it was through an agent who charged Rs 3500/-. I was not aware that the process can be done online then.

Though the online process is very seamless and easy the offline process is not streamlined still. I wish they do that as well.Also I wish they issue the IDP with at least 3 years validity.
sameer sultan is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 4th May 2021, 19:07   #595
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameer sultan View Post
Also I wish they issue the IDP with at least 3 years validity.
I think it's a one-year thing internationally.

Visa? Ticket? I think anyone can get one, eve if they are not going anywhere! I used to get mine from AAI, but you have to join, If I remember correctly, so that cost is added to the IDP cost. But they are helpful people, and their purpose in life is to help the driver, not hinder them. The only problem I had was taking the wrong medical certificate once. I had to print out the right one, and take it to the doc for signature.
Old 9th September 2021, 18:08   #596
BHPian

Hi Guys,

I joined Team-BHP only recently and found this query on IDP issued by these online agencies sitting in USA. Another one who offers the IDP for multiple years is https://international-permit.com/en-us. Will reply to both queries together.

I have got IDPs done by these (or similar) guys twice now for 3 year terms and have used it across USA, UK and Mainland EU since 2014 I think. Prior to that, from 2005 until 2013 or 2014, I used to always go to the local RTO in Mumbai and get my IDP that was valid only for a year. This service has been a real convenient thing. The fact is, the IDP does nothing more than translate your license to multiple languages. Now that is actually not even needed since all our licenses are printed in English.

Since 2015, is most rental companies across US, UK & EU, I was almost never asked for my IDP. They always took the Indian license and processed the paperwork. The only time I did not take my IDP with me to the rental location (left it at my cousin's house) was in London in 2015. They refused to give me the car and said that an IDP was a must. My wife had to come all the way to Heathrow to present the IDP.

Other than that, I've never had a problem with IDP issued by such agencies. Unless someone really wants to give you a hard time, I think it is safe and convenient.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
I was also exploring these options ( well the travel never happened) and found they are not legal bodies.

They only provide translation, you can only try luck hoping the cop accepts it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
Anybody heard about IDP from International Drivers Association?
I chanced upon them by chance and the initial impression looks promising. Especially for those of us who live in a different state than the one where the DL was issued.

There is no paperwork involved, not even uploading the DL scan. I suppose, the will pull the info based on the DL number entered. The pricing too seems reasonable and works out cheaper than the AASI membership.

Attachment 1998461

I am wondering if there is any catch. From their website, I see only this
Has anyone here used their services? My DL is due for renewal in less than a year. Planning to try this post renewal.
anandavinash is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2021, 18:43   #597
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameer sultan View Post

Though the online process is very seamless and easy the offline process is not streamlined still. I wish they do that as well.Also I wish they issue the IDP with at least 3 years validity.
In Delhi, the system has been much easier. My D/L was due to expire when the lockdown was slightly relaxed. Got the Doctor at the RTO to sign up my Medical Certificate with stamped date.
All documents were uploaded for Renewal of D/L. Upto this stage, I was not able to submit application for IDP.
As soon as I received my D/L, I was able to apply for IDP. The same Medical Certificate was uploaded again and all documents accepted for process.
I wondered what type of IDP would be issued. We have been seeing Decades old IDP printed (at least the outer cover) and the thin cover weathering off.
Voila ! To my surprise, I found a printout of the same pages that comprised IDP, glue pasted to the same old booklet. The Printout did have my picture and all details.
Why should I be not thankful to have such a shabby IDP for just one year and not more.
Only good thing was that from submission, I did not have to step out and received it delivered to home.
Old 5th December 2021, 16:20   #598
BHPian

Circa 2012. My ex organization wanted to send us a set of colleagues to Germany on secondment for a long term assignment.

The super excited man I was, my heart started racing about being able to drive on German Autobahns. I gathered all information possible online and did all the home work. To apply for an IDL, one needed valid visa, passport, air ticket, government doctor approved fitness certificate. Since the travel dates were not finalized, I raised a ticket with the travel desk at my office to issue me a dummy itinerary ticket for this purpose. The address on the passport and your Indian DL must be same,which, in my case, was fine.

I met a local government doctor and he issued my fitness certificate at INR 100/-

One fine morning, I went to the Jayanagara RTO and went to the relevant counter and submitted all the documents and paid a fees of INR 500/-. In the end, I was supposed to hand over this file to someone else at another counter. When I went there, the person behind the counter demanded I pay him a bribe of 500/-. To which I said no. He asked my purpose of travel. I mentioned work. And he had the audacity to tell me that he'd have given me a concession of charging only 200/- as bribe if I were a student. Since I'm traveling on work, he demanded 500! Nothing less.

Since I'm a local Bengalooriga, I told him in chaste Kannada. : "madi kodo hagidre madi, illa andre application na thippege bisaki, nanu 500 rupayi kodalla" on his face Which directly translates to "get it done if you want to, if not, throw it to the garbage bin and I won't pay you 500". I'm not exaggerating. I said these words on his face. He made quite some noise and all to which I didn't care. I went there a few days later and it was ready to be picked up. Total cost around INR 600/-

The retard brain policy makers sitting somewhere in cosy office in Delhi are 2000km away from ground reality! What is the point in asking the applicants to have the same address as passport in their driver's license!? What are they trying to prove!? Hundreds of millions of Indians don't have a proper roof over their head. There are millions who change their rental home from one to another and some are like gypsies who hop multiple cities for their job and survival. What logical sense does it make? What has the address got to do with a person who wishes to drive abroad? What's the connection between them?

I'll highly appreciate if someone can enlighten me on this please
Simha.k is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2022, 21:44   #599
BHPian

I have applied and gotten IDP twice before, once in 2018 and 2019, agree with all said here, there should be no issue with address match, in addition why need visa (what about visa on arrival) why air ticket? If i want a IDP sand willing to pay 1000/- for it, why should I have a flight ticket, can't understand what's going on in their head, but on a positive side both times no one ever asked for any money at kasturinagar RTO KA03,

Now the new problem, i have applied for renewal of DL, there is no issuing of smart card in Karnataka, they say digital copy of enough, IDP is online, but what to show along with the IDP when abroad, don't think they'll accept the parivahan AAP DL, anyone with similar situation please update. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simha.k View Post
Circa 2012. My ex
organization wanted to send us a set of colleagues to Germany on secondment for a long term assignment.

The super excited man I was, my heart started racing about being able to drive on German Autobahns. I gathered all information possible online and did all the home work. To apply for an IDL, one needed valid visa, passport, air ticket, government doctor approved fitness certificate. Since the travel dates were not finalized, I raised a ticket with the travel desk at my office to issue me a dummy itinerary ticket for this purpose. The address on the passport and your Indian DL must be same,which, in my case, was fine.

I met a local government doctor and he issued my fitness certificate at INR 100/-

One fine morning, I went to the Jayanagara RTO and went to the relevant counter and submitted all the documents and paid a fees of INR 500/-. In the end, I was supposed to hand over this file to someone else at another counter. When I went there, the person behind the counter demanded I pay him a bribe of 500/-. To which I said no. He asked my purpose of travel. I mentioned work. And he had the audacity to tell me that he'd have given me a concession of charging only 200/- as bribe if I were a student. Since I'm traveling on work, he demanded 500! Nothing less.

Since I'm a local Bengalooriga, I told him in chaste Kannada. : "madi kodo hagidre madi, illa andre application na thippege bisaki, nanu 500 rupayi kodalla" on his face Which directly translates to "get it done if you want to, if not, throw it to the garbage bin and I won't pay you 500". I'm not exaggerating. I said these words on his face. He made quite some noise and all to which I didn't care. I went there a few days later and it was ready to be picked up. Total cost around INR 600/-

The retard brain policy makers sitting somewhere in cosy office in Delhi are 2000km away from ground reality! What is the point in asking the applicants to have the same address as passport in their driver's license!? What are they trying to prove!? Hundreds of millions of Indians don't have a proper roof over their head. There are millions who change their rental home from one to another and some are like gypsies who hop multiple cities for their job and survival. What logical sense does it make? What has the address got to do with a person who wishes to drive abroad? What's the connection between them?

I'll highly appreciate if someone can enlighten me on this please
drkumarmp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2022, 22:28   #600
BHPian

I have my driver’s license from Delhi and moving to the USA so just wondering if I can do with a IDP for sometime (around one year) and will take time to figure out most of the stuff (cars, roads and how the permits work there) as I will not be arriving there on a tourist visa! If IDP then should I check the parivahan sarathi website or are there other organisations that can help me with the same?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks