Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 27th July 2022, 09:39   #616
BHPian

Re: The International Driving License (IDL) / International Driving Permit (IDP) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by anish View Post
Hi- would appreciate if some one can help me with the second point (B) . Have landed in USA and not sure if I can drive my friends car. No one here is sure either .
Hey Anish,

I just got back from US and the short answer is NO.

Basically, I had my IDP (specially made for the trip) and was hoping to get added on my sister's insurance as add-on for her car. However, the insurance company (AAA) said that they need drivers license from any of the US states to add the extra driver on the personal car.

Now, if there is another insurance company that allows for an international driver to be added, then please let me know but in our search, we found none.

As you rightly said, rental car companies are not a problem at all.

Cheers!
VT-RNS is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th July 2022, 22:46   #617
BHPian

Re: The International Driving License (IDL) / International Driving Permit (IDP) Thread

Hello,

I have an IDP issued by Delhi RTO and a driver's license from Delhi. I am going to the US to study and recently learnt that both the licenses do not have any value since I am not entering the country as a tourist but as a temporary resident. Is this true?
Old 18th August 2022, 15:44   #618
BHPian

Just applied for an IDP online. Last year, I had to follow up by making and appointment and gong for photo and biometrics. This time I dont even see that option. Is it now truly an online only procedure? This is for BLR.
Old 28th August 2022, 15:50   #619
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samfromindia View Post
Did anyone apply their IDP through International Traffic Control Association ?

https://www.e-itca.org/
Just wanted to mention that the above organization is a scam.

Quote:
It is not a legal International Driver's Permit. It is just a translation of your license. It may look authentic enough to pass an inspection by the police in Bali but your travel insurance will not accept it in case of accident.

An International Driver's Permit is issued from your home country.
Quote:
I been arrest it in Thailand for using ITCA license, will go to court and maybe 3 years jail!!
https://www.tripadvisor.in/ShowTopic...city-Bali.html

The RTO & Automotive Association of Home country are the only two places where you can get legit IDP. As quoted above, the fake ones may be used to book rentals, however it can be a legal issue while claiming insurance or getting caught by police.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nidhikapoor View Post
Just applied for an IDP online. Last year, I had to follow up by making and appointment and gong for photo and biometrics. This time I dont even see that option. Is it now truly an online only procedure? This is for BLR.
Its online for some states and offline for some. When you select state in parivahan, it shows which all services are contactless & which are not.

https://sarathi.parivahan.gov.in/sar...teSelection.do

Delhi: Online
The International Driving License (IDL) / International Driving Permit (IDP) Thread-dl.jpg

Maharashtra: Offline
The International Driving License (IDL) / International Driving Permit (IDP) Thread-mh.jpg

West Bengal: Offline
The International Driving License (IDL) / International Driving Permit (IDP) Thread-wb.jpg

For Maharashtra & West Bengal, its not & one has to visit RTO after submission of documents online and paying fee.

Also another thing, your DL should be in the same RTO where you are applying to. If not, you need to have a change of address request along with getting IDP from a different RTO.

Online Process

Last edited by Samfromindia : 28th August 2022 at 15:59.
Samfromindia is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th August 2022, 09:49   #620
Distinguished - BHPian

https://www.overdrive.in/news-cars-a...riving-permit/
MoRTH standardises the process for issuing an International Driving Permit

Good news!
itwasntme is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 30th August 2022, 10:04   #621
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
https://www.overdrive.in/news-cars-a...riving-permit/
MoRTH standardises the process for issuing an International Driving Permit

Good news!
The process and format was already pretty standard, but involves some unwritten hoops like the need to visit my district RTA and get in line at 9:00 AM in the morning to politely ask the officer to approve the application. That's it, no bribe, no extra form just a pointless visit to ask them to do their job (which I believed was the point of the online application in the first place)
agambhandari is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 30th August 2022, 13:56   #622
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VT-RNS View Post
Hey Anish,

I just got back from US and the short answer is NO.

Basically, I had my IDP (specially made for the trip) and was hoping to get added on my sister's insurance as add-on for her car. However, the insurance company (AAA) said that they need drivers license from any of the US states to add the extra driver on the personal car.

Now, if there is another insurance company that allows for an international driver to be added, then please let me know but in our search, we found none.

As you rightly said, rental car companies are not a problem at all.

Cheers!
Hi, I was able to add myself using my Indian driving license to my friends car insurance in 2020. The provider was Kemper Auto by Infinity insurance company.
MayurS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2022, 14:00   #623
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anish View Post
I am planning a 3-week trip to the USA. Will be covering Alaska, California, and Arizona. Can I drive in USA on my Indian DL if I don't have IDP?

a// From what I understand I can drive rented vehicles on Indian DL as it's covered with insurance. Can someone confirm this?
b// I cannot drive a personal vehicle (a friend's owned vehicle) as its existing insurance will not cover me driving using my Indian DL. Is this understanding correct?
I have been driving in USA, Australia and Canada on an Indian driving license which is issued on a paper.. Back in 2001 Gurgaon, details were written by pen. Expiry date got faded away over the years. With this I was driving rental cars. Every time at the airport car rental counters they tried to find expiry date, when they do not find it... They talk between them behind the counters... "some country DLs have no expiry date... Blah blah" They get convinced without me explaining them real reason. It seems some countries do not have expiry date on their DLs!!
Even i was involved in an accident and speeding tickets. .. Cops and process did not complain looking at my torn and faded DL. (I am not suggeeting u can do over speeding etc... Sometimes you get tempted in a weak moment to compete and overtake on inter state ... Moment you overtake your opponent with little bit of satisfaction and smile .. You immediately realyze why your opponent slowed down... Cop waiting with speed gun at kerb side which I missed to observe, I was stupid ). They look at ur passport for identity. Anyway last year I got my new DL on a smart card, now I can avoid strange looks at my DL at car rental desks . I am travelling in a week to US, no IDP, will drive with Indian DL.

If somebody has time to get an IDP, Pls have it it may help.
Podilam is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2022, 09:25   #624
BHPian

Hey Guys,

Does the condition for needing DL and Passport of the same address still hold? I remember reaching out to AAUI and they mentioned they can get it done even with different addresses the last time I travelled abroad.

Thanks for the tips!
Old 20th September 2022, 11:32   #625
BHPian

I have been to the UK in May 2022 and can confirm what @anish stated.

One rental company was okay without IDP as long as my license was in english and I would have to give my passport. The other company just wanted my IDP and nothing else.

To add my name on personal car, they were clear that I should have driven in UK for 6 months for it to be possible. They dont entertain IDP anymore. The rules keep changing since I could drive a personal car for 15 days back in 2006. Have always taken rentals after that.

Also make it a practice to get the IDP. My Maharashtra DL would need a magnifying glass for it to be legible.
Old 21st September 2022, 01:15   #626
BHPian

Is anyone aware if I can transfer my Indian Driver's license to one in the US? I am in Arizona right now, and wondering if I can skip tests that way.
Old 21st September 2022, 15:21   #627
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adigup View Post
Is anyone aware if I can transfer my Indian Driver's license to one in the US? I am in Arizona right now, and wondering if I can skip tests that way.
Dont think thats possible anywhere between countries.
US however is easier to get a license compared to the UK, where my friends have spent a Nano to get one.

All the best
dvl666 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2022, 15:46   #628
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annibaddh View Post
Hey Guys,

Does the condition for needing DL and Passport of the same address still hold? I remember reaching out to AAUI and they mentioned they can get it done even with different addresses the last time I travelled abroad.

Thanks for the tips!
If its the same city, it wouldnt be a major issue but not sure if different cities who would take precedence, the passport office city or the RTO city!

If you are in Mumbai, you can check with WIAA opposite churchgate station. They would be equipped to sort things out for you at their RTO desk.
Old 4th October 2022, 20:23   #629
BHPian

After all the help from this forum and having uploaded all the documents went by to the RTO at Andheri. The first instruction at eindow no 2 was to go and get all the documents printed out. So much so for all the online process. When all of it was done the staff at the counter pointed out that due to a difference in address he cannot pro ess it further. He was also " smart"enough to suggest to me that I should get the licenece issued at the RTO where my address is (ka-19). I simply asked him how would they issue me a IDP for a licenece whose details they don't have. Bang came the reply" tar licence ki passport cha address change kara...mag ya"( change the address on the passport or on the licenece and then come back) of course as I walked away , was approached by a tout who said I can still get it before the office shut for the day. Irony being the application was " under scrutiny at the RTO since Sept 24( today being Oct 4).
Old 5th October 2022, 00:32   #630
Distinguished - BHPian

AASI/AANI.

You have to buy in to life membership, but they issue (Or did when I last did it) IDP themselves, and have the ethos of helping their members, not boosting their egos by beating the public with bureaucracy.

You do have to get the paperwork right. Last time, I went with the wrong medical certificate. I had to get the right one.

I also got help from them with my last license renewal. I would have done it all myself, but my licence was, somehow, in the limbo of being visible on the new computer system, but not available to renew online. That was all in day's work to AASI.

Most Viewed