Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries


Reply
  Search this Thread
1,189,697 views
Old 19th November 2022, 13:08   #646
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2021
Location: Visakhapatnam
Posts: 6
Thanked: Once
Re: The International Driving License (IDL) / International Driving Permit (IDP) Thread

Hi all,

Can I drive with an Indian Driving License in Malaysia ? (only in Langkawi as in KL, public transport is quite good). I am not sure if a IDP is required. My license is in English & 1 hiring agency which I checked, said that is sufficient.

Does anyone have any recent experience with the same ? It will be really helpful because I love driving & don't want to spend another couple of thousand bucks for the IDP, just for my 2 days in Langkawi next month.

Thank you.
kartiksk88 is offline  
Old 21st November 2022, 10:50   #647
BHPian
 
alstonlobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Mangalore
Posts: 511
Thanked: 128 Times
Re: The International Driving License (IDL) / International Driving Permit (IDP) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by kartiksk88 View Post
Hi all,

Can I drive with an Indian Driving License in Malaysia ? (only in Langkawi as in KL, public transport is quite good). I am not sure if a IDP is required. My license is in English & 1 hiring agency which I checked, said that is sufficient.

Does anyone have any recent experience with the same ? It will be really helpful because I love driving & don't want to spend another couple of thousand bucks for the IDP, just for my 2 days in Langkawi next month.

Thank you.

You can drive with Indian license in Malaysia without IDP.
Before we visited Malaysia in 2018, I did my research regarding this. I found out about SOCAR app which lets you book self drive rental cars from designated spots. Check on YouTube for their videos. Once you get hold of a Malaysian SIM card, the OTP process will finalise the installation. Verify your identity on the app and upload the pictures of your driver's license and your account is verified within 24 hours. I booked several cars within the 12 days we were there and the process was seamless and not once did we get stopped by cops or any authorities.
However there is a competitor app known as GOCAR and their website asks for IDP, perhaps its for universal users and not filtered as per country.
Let me know how it worked in your favor.
alstonlobo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th December 2022, 18:24   #648
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2021
Location: Visakhapatnam
Posts: 6
Thanked: Once
Re: The International Driving License (IDL) / International Driving Permit (IDP) Thread

Thank you @alstonlobo, I will definitely share my experiences after returning later this month
kartiksk88 is offline  
Old 9th December 2022, 18:17   #649
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2022
Location: New Delhi(Base)
Posts: 45
Thanked: 71 Times
Re: The International Driving License (IDL) / International Driving Permit (IDP) Thread

Hi everyone,

I'm Jyoti and I just joined this pretty awesome community.

My current question is whether anyone has any experience getting an IDP from the Kolkata RTO (fees, procedure, hassles).

Although I don't live in Kolkata anymore, I was a student there in 2010-14 and got my Drivers License from Kolkata. I guess this means I have to get the IDP from Kolkata itself.

I am now planning to travel to Kolkata on work for a week and wanted to get the IDP by taking a morning off.

Thanks in Advance!
J2022 is offline  
Old 11th December 2022, 12:05   #650
BHPian
 
sixthsense's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 115
Thanked: 185 Times
Re: The International Driving License (IDL) / International Driving Permit (IDP) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by RohitAK96 View Post
I am planning to visit Thailand with family next month, and a road trip from Phuket to Krabi is on the itinerary. So I applied for an IDP online via the parivahan website yesterday i.e., 2nd Nov at around 11 PM, and today i.e., 3rd Nov at 11 AM, I got an SMS that the scrutiny was completed and by 3 PM another SMS that the IDP is approved and is being printed.

This was a pleasant surprise. I expected it to take at least a week for verification and issuance, but it happened in just 16 hours! Seems like my RTO is very efficient. Btw my RTO is Ernakulam in Kerala (KL 07).
The status would remain the same I guess. For me it was the same and then I realised after watching a random YouTube video that I've to take the print myself. You've to goto the sarathi website, click on Menu and then under driver license you'll find print IDP option. Put your application no. And DOB and you'll get a pdf download of your IDL.

I applied with just air tickets and stay booking pdf's. No visa required if you state Thailand. I just filled VOA in the box where it was asked to put in Visa No. This is for KA 41 , KR Puram Bengaluru. I did not have to goto the RTO.

They could have pointed this out in the status but the status still says "In printing" .

Last edited by sixthsense : 11th December 2022 at 12:06. Reason: Added details
sixthsense is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st December 2022, 04:33   #651
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2022
Location: New Delhi(Base)
Posts: 45
Thanked: 71 Times
Re: The International Driving License (IDL) / International Driving Permit (IDP) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by J2022 View Post
Hi everyone,

I'm Jyoti and I just joined this pretty awesome community.

My current question is whether anyone has any experience getting an IDP from the Kolkata RTO (fees, procedure, hassles).

Although I don't live in Kolkata anymore, I was a student there in 2010-14 and got my Drivers License from Kolkata. I guess this means I have to get the IDP from Kolkata itself.

I am now planning to travel to Kolkata on work for a week and wanted to get the IDP by taking a morning off.

Thanks in Advance!
I just went to the Kolkata RTO.

It seems that the IDP application must be made online but the fees (Rs 4,000) is to be paid in the cash counter at the RTO office.

On top of that I have to give a driving test because my DL is issued less than 10 years ago - is this a law or are they scamming me?

The office was extremely unpleasant with brokers, scammers, beggars and creepy men everywhere.

Is it possible to avoid this and apply for IDP at some other RTO like Delhi?
J2022 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2023, 20:00   #652
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 58
Thanked: 15 Times
Re: The International Driving License (IDL) / International Driving Permit (IDP) Thread

Has anyone got a IDP for Japan?
Is it in Japanese?
Does RTO issue IDP in Booklet form if its for Japan, since Japan not accepting the paper form?
Has anyone used Automobile Association of South India AASI for getting IDP for Japan & heard they issue in Booklet Form even now?
Price of IDP through AASI?

Thankyou all in advance

Last edited by drkumarmp : 2nd February 2023 at 20:03.
drkumarmp is offline  
Old 4th February 2023, 15:34   #653
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 58
Thanked: 15 Times
Re: The International Driving License (IDL) / International Driving Permit (IDP) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by drkumarmp View Post
Has anyone got a IDP for Japan?
Is it in Japanese?
Does RTO issue IDP in Booklet form if its for Japan, since Japan not accepting the paper form?
Has anyone used Automobile Association of South India AASI for getting IDP for Japan & heard they issue in Booklet Form even now?
Price of IDP through AASI?

Thankyou all in advance
Ok, did some enqiry and research in this regard, here is what I got to know, RTO online IDP is only in english and A4 sheet printout with some rubber stampings, which is something the Japanese still do not consider, I have the Book type IDP from 2018 and the A4 sheet from 2019, both do not have any mention of 1949 Geneva Convention or any variation of this. so finally spoke with the staff at Automobile Association of South India (Since I am in Bangalore) they said the same thing aboyt RTO, However they are giving in Book form with the Japanese translation and the 1949 Geneva Convention all mentioned on and in the booklet.
Life membership for AASI is Rs. 6000 + GST, that comes to Rs. 7080/-
for the IDP the Rs. 1000/- for the RTO online has to be paid anyways, in addition Rs. 1000/- + GST = 1180/- has to be paid to get any country specific IDP Total cost for IDP each time would be Rs. 2180/-
They do apply and get the RTO version first and then they, based on that give the Booklet version, is what I got to understand.
drkumarmp is offline  
Old 4th February 2023, 15:41   #654
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 58
Thanked: 15 Times
Re: The International Driving License (IDL) / International Driving Permit (IDP) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by J2022 View Post
I just went to the Kolkata RTO.

It seems that the IDP application must be made online but the fees (Rs 4,000) is to be paid in the cash counter at the RTO office.

On top of that I have to give a driving test because my DL is issued less than 10 years ago - is this a law or are they scamming me?

The office was extremely unpleasant with brokers, scammers, beggars and creepy men everywhere.

Is it possible to avoid this and apply for IDP at some other RTO like Delhi?
All of that sounds Scammish, I got my First IDP less than 5 Years after getting DL, its only 1000/-, now its completely online, finally it all depends on the country you want to visit, if its US or UK you may not even need it, UAE accepts english IDP, but they need a IDP to give the car at the rental.

whereas Japan needs the "1949 Geneva Convention" mentioned on the IDP and all your DL text in Japanese and booklet form. since these rules keep changing only someone who has travelled, hired a car and driven in Japan in the last few months can confirm.
drkumarmp is offline  
Old 4th February 2023, 17:58   #655
Team-BHP Support
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 14,920
Thanked: 28,844 Times
Re: The International Driving License (IDL) / International Driving Permit (IDP) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by drkumarmp View Post
Has anyone used Automobile Association of South India AASI for getting IDP for Japan & heard they issue in Booklet Form even now?
Price of IDP through AASI?

Thankyou all in advance
The AASI no longer issue IDPs since it went on line so donít waste your money
ajmat is offline  
Old 16th February 2023, 13:16   #656
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2021
Location: MH02
Posts: 76
Thanked: 75 Times
Re: The International Driving License (IDL) / International Driving Permit (IDP) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by drkumarmp View Post
All of that sounds Scammish, I got my First IDP less than 5 Years after getting DL, its only 1000/-, now its completely online, finally it all depends on the country you want to visit, if its US or UK you may not even need it, UAE accepts english IDP, but they need a IDP to give the car at the rental.

whereas Japan needs the "1949 Geneva Convention" mentioned on the IDP and all your DL text in Japanese and booklet form. since these rules keep changing only someone who has travelled, hired a car and driven in Japan in the last few months can confirm.
Japan is awesome in its own way!

For IDP https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2022.html
Indian Embassy is reissuing IDP also https://www.indembassy-tokyo.gov.in/...Click_here.pdf

Best to go to automobile association to get the correct info and assistance
・Western India Automobile Association
・the Automobile Association of Upper India
・the Automobile Association of Eastern India
・the Automobile Association of Southern India
dvl666 is offline  
Old 17th February 2023, 05:45   #657
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2022
Location: New Delhi(Base)
Posts: 45
Thanked: 71 Times
Re: The International Driving License (IDL) / International Driving Permit (IDP) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by drkumarmp View Post
All of that sounds Scammish, I got my First IDP less than 5 Years after getting DL, its only 1000/-, now its completely online, finally it all depends on the country you want to visit, if its US or UK you may not even need it, UAE accepts english IDP, but they need a IDP to give the car at the rental.

whereas Japan needs the "1949 Geneva Convention" mentioned on the IDP and all your DL text in Japanese and booklet form. since these rules keep changing only someone who has travelled, hired a car and driven in Japan in the last few months can confirm.
Unfortunately this is not a scam. I was informed by the RTO (Licensing) himself. In the end I chose not to go through with this for my immediate travels and that worked out well. Paying Rs 4,000 for a translation of my DL valid for one year is bad enough but having to undergo a driving test is ridiculous.

I will try to find out if it is possible to get the IDP from Delhi RTO.
J2022 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2023, 11:50   #658
Senior - BHPian
 
rajshenoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: bangalore
Posts: 2,893
Thanked: 2,242 Times
Re: The International Driving License (IDL) / International Driving Permit (IDP) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by drkumarmp View Post
All of that sounds Scammish, I got my First IDP less than 5 Years after getting DL, its only 1000/-, now its completely online, finally it all depends on the country you want to visit, if its US or UK you may not even need it, UAE accepts english IDP, but they need a IDP to give the car at the rental.
I am trying to get an IDP and thinking of exploring online portal as the agent I know is quoting 5000 for the same. If it is indeed online, then worth trying

They are still asking for a form 1A which is a manual step.
rajshenoy is offline  
Old 5th April 2023, 18:51   #659
Senior - BHPian
 
rajshenoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: bangalore
Posts: 2,893
Thanked: 2,242 Times
Re: The International Driving License (IDL) / International Driving Permit (IDP) Thread

Looks like this thread and RTO are both operating in same way. I applied for IDP using parivahan portal about 3 weeks ago and still the application is stuck in ARTO approval. Sadly I am unable to move the state further and grievances too does not have any affect. In my case this is KR PURAM RTO, BANGALORE. Looks like Parivahan Seva only works in few of the RTO and in rest of the places they encourage middle men and some fat bribe only.

Any suggestion as to what are my other options ? I am travelling to UAE next week and is there any way I can rent a car there if my RTO folks dont bother to approve my IDP ? FYI I hold the DL smart card which is written in English.
rajshenoy is offline  
Old 7th April 2023, 16:26   #660
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 210
Thanked: 26 Times
Re: The International Driving License (IDL) / International Driving Permit (IDP) Thread

I'm trying to apply for an IDP online, for the Jayanar Bangalore RTO (KA05). In my case, the process is offline at multiple steps - 1. Get medical form 1A attested by a doctor, upload it online, and then 2. RTO appointment offline.

Any leads on where I can get form 1A stamped around Jayanagar? I went to the RTO assuming I'll find an agent/doctor there, but found no one!
amitwiz1 is offline  
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks