Team-BHP - The International Driving License (IDL) / International Driving Permit (IDP) Thread
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Route / Travel Queries (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/)
-   -   The International Driving License (IDL) / International Driving Permit (IDP) Thread (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/5765-international-driving-license-idl-international-driving-permit-idp-thread-50.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by wokrishnahai (Post 5720274)
They asked me either to change the address of my Passport which matched the DL or Vice-versa.

This is a strange request. If it is any consolation, changing the address on the DL is an easy online process using the parivahan site. The DL with new address gets delivered within a 7-10 days (at least that’s the case for MH-01). I don’t know if that would help your case.

Quote:

Originally Posted by reverse_gear (Post 5720313)
This is a strange request. If it is any consolation, changing the address on the DL is an easy online process using the parivahan site. The DL with new address gets delivered within a 7-10 days (at least that’s the case for MH-01). I don’t know if that would help your case.

True, But I don't live at the address of my passport anymore. And, I have moved to a new apartment. So in case the new DL gets delivered that woudn't be delivered to the present address.

Need help experts!!

I am planning a coast to coast road-trip from NYC to SFO.

I applied for the IDP and to my surprise was given a print out with a few signatures and permit details. I’ve always understood that an IDP is a booklet with translations and other information. Is the booklet required or the attested single page document enough?

Having obtained IDP quite a number of times, IMO, the booklets were printed ages ago as could be seen from the deteriorated covers. Last IDP I received having applied 'Online' was the same poor booklet with an A5 size printout of my Photo with details pasted inside it.
Maybe, they have run out of Booklets too and resorted to just a Printout only.
Not surprised.rl:

I have recently received an IDP booklet from Mumbai RTO. It only has one language and the names of the countries which accept it.

You could re-check with your RTO. And, share with them the Motor Vehicle Act relevant section for the booklet.

https://morth.nic.in/search/node/idp

https://morth.nic.in/sites/default/f...5-2020-MVL.pdf

Quote:

Originally Posted by Libran10 (Post 5693842)
The process has changed now. Go to Parivaahan site, upload documents (Licence, Passport copy, Medical certificate , Copy of application form and Fee receipt) The application seeks Passport info and Visa reference only , for the country of travel. Submit online with a fee of 1000/-. Also visit RTO with physical copy of the application and all uploaded docs. Wait for a couple of days, track the status and then print it online. No extra payments to be made. Sometimes follow up may be required to ensure they click the approve button on their keyboards :)

Questions if someone can help.

- Can I get Medical certificate signed by a local authorized doctor as per my choice or do I need to go thru some "empowered" doctor who sits near RTO?
- Does address on passport and DL has to be same? I have both documents issued at Bengaluru but address is different.
- Is personal visit needed after successful submission of documents and fee payment online? The website says no need to visit RTO so I'm confused.
- Can I download IDP online or will it be mailed to me and which address (passport or DL)?
- what is turn around time in KA-03 Kasturi Nagar RTO?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aviator_guy (Post 5742854)
- Can I get Medical certificate signed by a local authorized doctor as per my choice or do I need to go thru some "empowered" doctor who sits near RTO?

Any local doctor can issue this. He has to have a medical registration number, which all doctors need to practice.

Quote:

- Does address on passport and DL has to be same? I have both documents issued at Bengaluru but address is different.

I don't think so and I have received an IDP when address on passport was different from the license. But, if you scroll up this thread, you will see that someone else ran into exactly this issue which held up the IDP. My experience is only with MH01 RTO.

Quote:

- Is personal visit needed after successful submission of documents and fee payment online? The website says no need to visit RTO so I'm confused.

RTO visit is needed for IDP. Some services (like change of address on DL, replacement DL for loss/ damage, etc.) can be done without visit, but not IDP.

Quote:

- Can I download IDP online or will it be mailed to me and which address (passport or DL)?

It will be mailed. The address will be the one you put on the application for IDP.

This is my understanding based on multiple exeriences in Mumbai RTO (most recently in December 2023). I am not sure if things are different in Bangalore.

Hi everyone, has anyone actually availed of the service to reissue IDP through a consular post?

My understanding is that the consulate issues some sort of receipt, and then you go through the same steps in Parivahan. I was trial running the steps, but in Parivahan (atleast for WB), IDP is not a fully online process, and at the document upload stage, does not have any additional option to allow for a consular receipt / application abroad to be processed.

What is the actual step by step flow for renewing your IDP while living abroad? There's many legitimate usecases for this, even though you cannot drive in your residence country after a certain period, it is still useful for travelling to other countries.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ts1506 (Post 5747796)
What is the actual step by step flow for renewing your IDP while living abroad?

Are you nor restricted to 12 months before having to take the local test and getting a local licence? As in...
Quote:

you cannot drive in your residence country after a certain period
Quote:

it is still useful for travelling to other countries.
But then you'd have your (in your case) Italian driving licence, which would cover you for the whole EU (I think?) and you'd be able to get a European IDP for other places.

I'm sure you'll find that easier than getting an Indian IDP. I know it's very quick and easy in (not European but was) GB.

Or have I got this all wrong?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom (Post 5747814)
Are you nor restricted to 12 months before having to take the local test and getting a local licence? As in...

But then you'd have your (in your case) Italian driving licence, which would cover you for the whole EU (I think?) and you'd be able to get a European IDP for other places.

I'm sure you'll find that easier than getting an Indian IDP. I know it's very quick and easy in (not European but was) GB.

Or have I got this all wrong?

In Italy - yes, you cannot drive after 12 months of establishing residency.

However, getting an Italian license is not straightforward - the theoretical test and the practical test are both only offered in Italian, and it is quite unrealistic to get to that level of language proficiency (usually CEFR B2 is recommended + Italian for Driving License courses) within a year.

With a continued Indian IDP, at least I am able to continue driving in neighbouring countries as a tourist which impose IDP requirements like France, Spain etc.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ts1506 (Post 5748356)
However, getting an Italian license is not straightforward ... it is quite unrealistic to get to that level of language proficiency ... within a year.

I hadn't thought of that aspect at all. <blush>

Thanks for that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigDaddy_In (Post 5738045)
Need help experts!!

I am planning a coast to coast road-trip from NYC to SFO.

I applied for the IDP and to my surprise was given a print out with a few signatures and permit details. I’ve always understood that an IDP is a booklet with translations and other information. Is the booklet required or the attested single page document enough?

I recently applied for an IDP using my Australian DL and received a booklet as it should be, which has translations in various languages.

The International Driving License (IDL) / International Driving Permit (IDP) Thread-idp-1.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by ts1506 (Post 5747796)
Hi everyone, has anyone actually availed of the service to reissue IDP

What is the actual step by step flow for renewing your IDP while living abroad? There's many legitimate usecases for this, even though you cannot drive in your residence country after a certain period, it is still useful for travelling to other countries.

Search for information about this in Local Automobile Associations. Some of them may be empowered to issue such permits to their members.

Does anyone have information on this ?

https://www.e-itca.org/international...g-permit-italy

I recently got my IDP and it is one sheet of paper. I am travelling to Europe and the iDP is only in English. Am I missing anything here? My understanding is that it will be in multiple languages. Thanks in advance.

It is one page only and in English, you have received the right one !