Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries


Reply
  Search this Thread
1,189,737 views
Old 7th April 2024, 08:05   #751
Team-BHP Support
 
vb-saan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: S'pore/Thrissur
Posts: 7,298
Thanked: 12,473 Times
Re: The International Driving License (IDL) / International Driving Permit (IDP) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by chethan.ram View Post
I recently got my IDP and it is one sheet of paper. I am travelling to Europe and the iDP is only in English. Am I missing anything here? My understanding is that it will be in multiple languages. Thanks in advance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nirmaljusdoit View Post
It is one page only and in English, you have received the right one !
Isn't the IDP supposed to be a booklet with necessary translations (similar to the one benbsb29 shared couple of posts above)?
vb-saan is offline  
Old 7th April 2024, 20:14   #752
Distinguished - BHPian
 
itwasntme's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: BANGALORE
Posts: 7,044
Thanked: 12,651 Times
Re: The International Driving License (IDL) / International Driving Permit (IDP) Thread

I also received an innocuous single page PDF with no QR or barcode or ‘official’ digital signature!

Yet, the Gazette mentions all this:
https://static.pib.gov.in/WriteReadD...2282997201.pdf

Wonder what went wrong.
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2024, 14:04   #753
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 834
Thanked: 677 Times
Re: The International Driving License (IDL) / International Driving Permit (IDP) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-saan View Post
Isn't the IDP supposed to be a booklet with necessary translations (similar to the one benbsb29 shared couple of posts above)?
It may have been before, when I received it even i was surprised,it was actually looking like some fake licence, but I didnít have any problem in using it abroad in multiple countries !
nirmaljusdoit is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th April 2024, 16:26   #754
Newbie
 
bluestreaks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 14
Thanked: 42 Times
Re: The International Driving License (IDL) / International Driving Permit (IDP) Thread

Hi,

So I am planning to visit Japan and would like to drive there. But every rental car agency website I checked, mentions that Japan only accepts the booklet form of IDP. That too the one mentioning "CONVENTION ON ROAD TRAFFIC OF 19 SEPTEMBER 1949"

https://rent.toyota.co.jp/global_eng/drive/

Our RTOs (at least the ones in Bangalore) just provide the printed paper for IDP. They do not provide the booklet. I called Toyota Rental and they clearly said that if I do not have the booklet with the required format, then they will not provide a car. And RTO folks have clearly said that they do not provide a booklet.

Some research online pointed me to Automobile Association of Southern India, where I would need to get a membership, and then they can provide an IDP. Even if they provide the booklet format IDP, will it be valid/acceptable in Japan? Has anyone tried this recently?

Is AASI a genuine/trusted source for IDP? My trip planning depends upon whether I can drive there or not.

Thanks!
bluestreaks is offline  
Old 14th April 2024, 19:15   #755
BHPian
 
robincsamuel's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2021
Location: KL-03/KA-05
Posts: 280
Thanked: 882 Times
Re: The International Driving License (IDL) / International Driving Permit (IDP) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluestreaks View Post
But every rental car agency website I checked, mentions that Japan only accepts the booklet form of IDP. That too the one mentioning "CONVENTION ON ROAD TRAFFIC OF 19 SEPTEMBER 1949"
Not sure what exactly they mean by "booklet" but the IDP issued by RTO, Kerala mentions the "19th September 1949 Convention". It's a laminated card but the format looks like a foldable booklet.

The International Driving License (IDL) / International Driving Permit (IDP) Thread-idpfront-large.jpeg
The International Driving License (IDL) / International Driving Permit (IDP) Thread-idpback-large.jpeg
robincsamuel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th April 2024, 19:53   #756
Newbie
 
bluestreaks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 14
Thanked: 42 Times
Re: The International Driving License (IDL) / International Driving Permit (IDP) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by robincsamuel View Post
Not sure what exactly they mean by "booklet" but the IDP issued by RTO, Kerala mentions the "19th September 1949 Convention". It's a laminated card but the format looks like a foldable booklet.
Interesting. Thanks for the information. So it is a laminated card. Does it have translation in Japanese? If not, then I believe that will also not work in Japan.
bluestreaks is offline  
Old 14th April 2024, 20:58   #757
BHPian
 
robincsamuel's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2021
Location: KL-03/KA-05
Posts: 280
Thanked: 882 Times
Re: The International Driving License (IDL) / International Driving Permit (IDP) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluestreaks View Post
Does it have translation in Japanese? If not, then I believe that will also not work in Japan.
There is no translation provided in the IDP I received. it's just what I shared above, with no additional pages. However, the IDP application asks for the country we are traveling to. In my case, it was Thailand. Maybe they'll include a Japanese translation if the country is Japan.
robincsamuel is offline  
Old 14th April 2024, 23:09   #758
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Thad E Ginathom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 11,045
Thanked: 26,929 Times
Re: The International Driving License (IDL) / International Driving Permit (IDP) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluestreaks View Post
Is AASI a genuine/trusted source for IDP?
They are reputable and trustworthy. I have had IDP from them a couple of times, but is more than a few years ago now. I don't know if they still do the service.

They will require all the necessary paper work, including the exact medical health certificate, that RTO will ask for. The difference is that AASI are on your side: they will not accept the forms if anything is not right (I took a wrong health cert once) but they will not look for ways to make life hard for you.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 15th April 2024, 13:40   #759
Distinguished - BHPian
 
itwasntme's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: BANGALORE
Posts: 7,044
Thanked: 12,651 Times
Re: The International Driving License (IDL) / International Driving Permit (IDP) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluestreaks View Post
Is AASI a genuine/trusted source for IDP? My trip planning depends upon whether I can drive there or not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
They are reputable and trustworthy.
The difference is that AASI are on your side: they will not accept the forms if anything is not right (I took a wrong health cert once) but they will not look for ways to make life hard for you.
Well said, thank you. AASI in BLR are very trustworthy and will get the job done, albeit may be a little anal on the documentation etc, as already mentioned above.

I got my first IDP from them in 2010 and chose to become a life member to facilitate the process annually. The only issue for BLR is the CBD location which needs some planning due to traffic and parking.

Call up AASI first and get all details; they are usually very patient and verbose on the phone.

Last edited by itwasntme : 15th April 2024 at 13:41.
itwasntme is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th April 2024, 13:55   #760
Distinguished - BHPian
 
mpksuhas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: KA03/KL11
Posts: 3,946
Thanked: 7,360 Times
Re: The International Driving License (IDL) / International Driving Permit (IDP) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by robincsamuel View Post
Maybe they'll include a Japanese translation if the country is Japan.
Though the country of travel is an input when making IDP request, there is no mention of the same in IDP. So as such, it can be used across any place.
Don't think Japanese translation will be there, since the format from KL RTO is a common one across any country you apply for.
mpksuhas is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2024, 14:48   #761
Newbie
 
bluestreaks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 14
Thanked: 42 Times
Re: The International Driving License (IDL) / International Driving Permit (IDP) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
They are reputable and trustworthy. I have had IDP from them a couple of times, but is more than a few years ago now. I don't know if they still do the service.

They will require all the necessary paper work, including the exact medical health certificate, that RTO will ask for. The difference is that AASI are on your side: they will not accept the forms if anything is not right (I took a wrong health cert once) but they will not look for ways to make life hard for you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Well said, thank you. AASI in BLR are very trustworthy and will get the job done, albeit may be a little anal on the documentation etc, as already mentioned above.

I got my first IDP from them in 2010 and chose to become a life member to facilitate the process annually. The only issue for BLR is the CBD location which needs some planning due to traffic and parking.

Call up AASI first and get all details; they are usually very patient and verbose on the phone.
Thanks a lot! I just called them up and looks like they are aware of the IDP requirements for Japan and will get it done. I will have to take their membership though. Will do that. Now I see a path forward. Thanks for the help!
bluestreaks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2024, 19:57   #762
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 36
Thanked: 262 Times
Re: The International Driving License (IDL) / International Driving Permit (IDP) Thread

Hello folks,

Wanted to know from people in Bangalore how long it takes to get IDP and is the online process smooth and easy or is it necessary to go down to the RTO and do it the traditional way?

Am planning to travel to Bali in a month or so and although I've read you can get rental cars/bikes on Indian license, want to be on the safer side and carry an IDP.

Cheers!
Juggernaught is offline  
Old 17th May 2024, 20:31   #763
BHPian
 
HighOnSpeed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2023
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 76
Thanked: 112 Times
Re: The International Driving License (IDL) / International Driving Permit (IDP) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juggernaught View Post
Wanted to know from people in Bangalore how long it takes to get IDP and is the online process smooth and easy or is it necessary to go down to the RTO and do it the traditional way?

Am planning to travel to Bali in a month or so and although I've read you can get rental cars/bikes on Indian license, want to be on the safer side and carry an IDP.

Cheers!
Took me two weeks last October, so keep some buffer. I would apply atleast a month in advance just to be safe. You'll have to go on the Vahan portal and download the softcopy once it is issued. The process was quite smooth online, but I had to go down to the RTO to speed things up.

Coincidentally, I also procured the IDP for my Bali trip last year. But wasn't stopped anywhere for it. If you are looking for a car rental, I highly recommend Bali Matic Car rental. I had a wonderful experience renting a self-drive with them. But be cautious as driving a car in Bali is not for everyone(especially around places like Kuta, Seminyak, Ubud and Canggu). The respect the locals have for traffic regulations is just astounding! Tourists behave like tourists though, especially the ones on the mopeds. XD

Link for the rental: https://maps.app.goo.gl/mfrc6hzj9vEW1mMJ9

They offer pick up and drop off for a small charge. I picked it up from the airport and dropped it off at the Sanur harbour.

Last edited by HighOnSpeed : 17th May 2024 at 20:34.
HighOnSpeed is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th May 2024, 22:11   #764
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 36
Thanked: 262 Times
Re: The International Driving License (IDL) / International Driving Permit (IDP) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighOnSpeed View Post
Coincidentally, I also procured the IDP for my Bali trip last year. But wasn't stopped anywhere for it. If you are looking for a car rental, I highly recommend Bali Matic Car rental. I had a wonderful experience renting a self-drive with them. But be cautious as driving a car in Bali is not for everyone(especially around places like Kuta, Seminyak, Ubud and Canggu). The respect the locals have for traffic regulations is just astounding! Tourists behave like tourists though, especially the ones on the mopeds. XD

Link for the rental: https://maps.app.goo.gl/mfrc6hzj9vEW1mMJ9

They offer pick up and drop off for a small charge. I picked it up from the airport and dropped it off at the Sanur harbour.
Awesome! Thanks for the quick reply. Will PM you for more details but for the benefit of everyone else, did you find driving down there worth it or is it better to just stick to the taxis?
Juggernaught is offline  
Old 17th May 2024, 22:31   #765
BHPian
 
HighOnSpeed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2023
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 76
Thanked: 112 Times
Re: The International Driving License (IDL) / International Driving Permit (IDP) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juggernaught View Post
Awesome! Thanks for the quick reply. Will PM you for more details but for the benefit of everyone else, did you find driving down there worth it or is it better to just stick to the taxis?
Sure thing! Do pm me for any specifics. I did spend most of my time in off-beat locations which don't usually draw so much crowd, so driving there/to there was a pleasant experience.
Places I covered- Kuta, Ubud, Munduk, Kintamani Amed, Sidemen, and Uluwatu. Apart from Kuta, I didn't face much trouble driving or finding parking.
Whether you should take a taxi or not is dependent on you. The roads are tight and if you don't have experience with that, it is better to hire a taxi driver. I prefer self-driving as I have a strong passion for driving and it provides me with the utmost flexibility. If you're going to Nusa Penida though, I strongly suggest you hire a taxi if you're travelling with family. The roads can be a bit challenging.

Last edited by HighOnSpeed : 17th May 2024 at 22:41.
HighOnSpeed is offline   (2) Thanks
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks