Team-BHP - The International Driving License (IDL) / International Driving Permit (IDP) Thread
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Route / Travel Queries (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/)
-   -   The International Driving License (IDL) / International Driving Permit (IDP) Thread (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/5765-international-driving-license-idl-international-driving-permit-idp-thread-6.html)

Indian license is valid throughout. IDP was used before so that there could be one with english language. One interesting thing happened to my friend when driving with a Indian License. He was stopped for speeding and when the cop asked for the license, He didn't know how to slap penalty on that. So there was not penalty and was instead just warned.

I am not sure about other states,but here in the state of Minnesota , you can rent and drive a car for the first three months.

You can drive in California and Colorado with Indian driving license. I have rented car before and my company has booked Avis for my 3 week trip starting this month end. I checked with colleagues there and confirmed that there is no need for IDP.

This is clearly a grey area, and even most cops are left dump-founded. WRT to MA, the indian driving licence is accepted (not the IDP).

Best thing is to do what I did...carry both on you at all times.

Once i was involved in an accident because of my fault. The car was totalled. When i first showed the cop my IDP he asked for Indian driving license and there were no more questions. This was in Ohio.

My b-in-law mentioned that in Texas, IDP or Indian license are not accepted.

Well this was my latest experiance, i did rent a car from enterprise car rental in San Diego (CA) during the Christmas vacation by showing them my Indian License (without IDP). Drove to Vegas (NV) and LA (CA) without any hickups. There are many friends from my company who come here and rent a car with Indian license (without IDP).

Usually there is no extra charges for renting a car on Indian Lisence. but some Firm do charge extra for drive under 25 years.

Check the motor vehicles website of the state you are visiting.
California allows indian driving license if you are there on a B1/B2 Visa. On other visa's there is stipulated durations like 3 months etc.,
Nevada does not recognize indian license.
So you will have to find out state to state going to their motor vehicle rules websites.
A little googling will give this info to you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by satish_appasani (Post 360781)
My b-in-law mentioned that in Texas, IDP or Indian license are not accepted.

Is this really true? I was told by my friend that International license is enough to drive in most states. I plan to visit San Antonio in March. I need not waste my time on an Intl license if this is true.

this is from the Texas Department of Motor vehicles site

"If you possess a foreign driver license, are between the ages of 18 and 75, and are now in Texas for an extended period or permanently, the state will recognize your license for up to one year following your arrival. This only applies for foreign nationals of [COLOR=#810081]countries that have reciprocity[/COLOR] with the United States―in other words, countries that offer a similar privilege to U.S. citizens who are in their nation."

and yes India is on the list with countries that have reciprocity. im not sure what exactly "extended period" means in the above and whether people on a visit visa can drive there.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tsk1979 (Post 360832)
Check the motor vehicles website of the state you are visiting..

exactly, DMV.org will get you statewise rules. I don't remember where, but in some state I was told the limit is 10 days from arival before you need a US license to be able to drive. visiting other states may not be a problem if you can prove you reside in a state that allows IDP/Indian license (grey area again)

again, you may not get a US license if you do not have a SSN (on a short trip?), or letter of denial from SSA and supporting docs from employer. else I guess you need to find a friends who can drive you then sorry:

I think I'll carry Indian license with my expired NJ licence when I have to go. I usually stick to NY/NJ when I visit.

hmm....u know, 5 years in Florida and I never really bothered to figure out how long an international or Indian license is accepted for there....

However, I have shown them both to the cops on a couple of occasions before I got my FL license.

Interestingly enough, one time was when I had just bought a car in Orlando (2nd hand - 'twas a 1990 Chrysler LeBaron GT) and was driving it back to my college town of Melbourne (remember, Florida, not Aussie-land! :p). I had a temp, cardboard plate on at the time, and the cops pulled me over coz the dam' plate had fallen off somewhere on the highway! Luckily, I had the paperwork with me, but only had my IDP and Indian license with me (since I hadn't yet applied/tested for a FL one). They accepted it and let me go, but told me to get an FL license ASAP.

Now I would say this was pretty lucky, since cops in FL are not always lenient. As someone mentioned earlier, it can help to have only a foreign license on you, since they wouldnt know how to slap a penalty on it! But, of course, you can only get away with this so much.....

Heres the email:

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Feb 13, 2007 7:55 PM
Subject: RE: out-of-country driver license
To: Ajo Joseph <mail4ajo@gmail.com>

Generally, a person 18 to 75 years of age with a valid out-of-country driver license in their possession may drive a private, non-commercial motor vehicle in the State of Texas for up to one year from date of entry into the United States, if their home country has reciprocity with the U.S. In order to check for reciprocity agreement status, click on Reciprocity In Driver Licensing or you may contact License Issuance at (512) 424-5089 or by e-mail at license.issuance@txdps.state.tx.us. 37 Texas Administrative Code 15.91.

Please contact AAA for further assistance with an International License.

The American Automobile Association (AAA) and the American Touring Alliance issues oval USA plaques and International Driving Permits. In Texas, the AAA issues International Driving Permits in El Paso, Houston, Fort Worth, and Austin. However, any AAA office accepts applications. You may reach AAA Texas at (512) 335-5222 or (512) 444-4757 or by email at Javascript Enablement Required - AAA

Thank you for contacting the Texas Department of Public Safety. If you have further questions, please feel free to contact Technical Support at (512) 424-5089.

Respectfully,

Anne Faithful
Administrative Technician III
Technical Support /License Issuance Bureau
Texas Department of Public Safety
512-424-5089

Quote:

Originally Posted by Serenity_Nimble (Post 360725)
I am not sure about other states,but here in the state of Minnesota , you can rent and drive a car for the first three months.

No ways dude!! You need to have 2 documents, 1 each from primary and secondary. With an Indian Licence nobody will allow you to touch a car even! (in MN) forget renting!

and even if you manage to rent, how would you drive!! (considering the fantastic driving exposure you have in India) LOL!

VA - I could rent on my Indian license from Hertz. And by law, I have to apply for a licenses after 6 months. Did not come to that.
CT - I was allowed to rent. But a cop pulled me over once and said that I was driving illegally. He let me off though.