Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th August 2008, 15:36   #121
Team-BHP Support

In western countries you go to court only if you want to contest the ticket, otherwise you pay fine and go the airport.
Old 29th August 2008, 21:01   #122
Team-BHP Support

paisa vasool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
In western countries you go to court only if you want to contest the ticket, otherwise you pay fine and go the airport.
To add - in the US, you mail in your payment (or pay over the phone / web), you don't pay your fine on the spot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anupam
on the way ur cought speeding / red light jumping or for any other minor traffic offenseSo, the cops have to issue a ticket which can be paid only in the court and not settled immidiately to the officer
Ofcourse, if you're going way over the speed limit (eg. doing 100mph in a 55mph zone), or driving like a complete maniac, there are chances you'll be arrested and won't be going directly to the airport.

A friend of mine went to the UK for a visit. Unlike the US, he was surprised to see no cops on the Motorway (didn't know about speed-cameras), and ripped his rental car.
No surprise - when he went to return the car, the rental company had a bunch of tickets waiting for him to pay off.
Old 29th August 2008, 21:24   #123
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aah78 View Post
A friend of mine went to the UK for a visit. Unlike the US, he was surprised to see no cops on the Motorway (didn't know about speed-cameras), and ripped his rental car.
No surprise - when he went to return the car, the rental company had a bunch of tickets waiting for him to pay off.
Sad that he didn't know about the electronic cops. I had to pay two speeding tickets for ripping through the German Autobahn, that too when I was totally aware that there'll be sesors and cameras. Once you see that huge flash, you can be sure about a ticket coming to your home.

No matter how fast you drive, there'll be someone to overtake you. Thats the autobahn.
Old 30th August 2008, 09:16   #124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aah78 View Post
Ofcourse, if you're going way over the speed limit (eg. doing 100mph in a 55mph zone), or driving like a complete maniac, there are chances you'll be arrested and won't be going directly to the airport. .
Well..looking back..i did went up even up to 140mph while doing inter-state from Phx to LA but was in very very late night, but was completely lucky, surely no intention to do again

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Once you see that huge flash, you can be sure about a ticket coming to your home.
in the city I went through that too, but was very marginally over the limit and somehow the tickets never reached

surely will keep myself within the wraps going forward

cheers
Anupam
Old 23rd October 2008, 02:27   #125
Senior - BHPian

just wanted to check to rent a car in florida will the indian license do or do you need an international license.

the thing is im leaving in 5 days and 2 days being a weekend, its gonna be diff to get it by then.....should i still try or will it be fine without one

rev

Last edited by aah78 : 23rd October 2008 at 04:20. Reason: Moved to correct thread.
Old 23rd October 2008, 06:13   #126
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anupam View Post
here is a classic case
most probably it will be rental company's headache, specially if they send you a ticket based on cameras. you know the rental company puts a large hold on your credit card, right?

but this precisely is the reason why almost everybody is reluctant to let anybody drive on a foreign license. In Ohio they require you to take a written test where they give you a temp permit after registering your passport number.

and about your adventure in AZ (or anywhere), you are safer overspeeding in daytime than in night. most of the cops are more active and ready to strike at night. you were lucky though.
Old 23rd October 2008, 11:47   #127
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revtech View Post
just wanted to check to rent a car in florida will the indian license do or do you need an international license.

the thing is im leaving in 5 days and 2 days being a weekend, its gonna be diff to get it by then.....should i still try or will it be fine without one

rev
You can rent a car with Indian License. IDL is required if your license is not in english. In India, all DL's have details in english.
Old 23rd October 2008, 12:54   #128
Senior - BHPian

ok thanx.just wanted to confirm...

rev
Old 23rd October 2008, 21:16   #129
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
most probably it will be rental company's headache, specially if they send you a ticket based on cameras. you know the rental company puts a large hold on your credit card, right?
well, in my case it was a corporate booking and if they would had sent the ticket it would surely go to our international HR and finally routed to me.

however, looking back, I am certainly not very proud of it, one slip and I would had had it.. and certainly do not intend to repeat such stupidity in future, infact even in India my speeds have really mellowed down

and certainly..my sincere advice to brothers on this forum is that they should stay well within the limits,

it is really not worth it

Thanks
Old 15th November 2008, 12:32   #130
BHPian

International License

There was an Ad on Team-Bhp site about International Driver Document.

They deliver the International License to your doorstep which is valid across the Globe without even a Driving Test for around 55 USD. They deliver it based on your Domestic Driving License.

Can it really be true??

Here is the Link: International Driver Document - Welcome Page
Old 4th December 2008, 22:49   #131

Driving in Malaysia

Hi,

Can one use an Indian drivers license in Malaysia on a tourist visa without an International Drivers Permit (IDP)? What does it take for an Indian tourist to drive in Malaysia? Tried searching the net like crazy but no reliable info is available.

Planning to get to Johor Bahru from Singapore, rent a car and drive to Desaru for the weekend. Any advice and inputs would be appreciated both relating to the destination and to driving in Malaysia in general. Thanks.
Old 8th December 2008, 18:29   #132
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Warrior View Post
There was an Ad on Team-Bhp site about International Driver Document.

They deliver the International License to your doorstep which is valid across the Globe without even a Driving Test for around 55 USD. They deliver it based on your Domestic Driving License.

Can it really be true??

Here is the Link: International Driver Document - Welcome Page
Does any one have any idea of the validity of the same. I am moving to germany and the german license is apparently the most expensive to obtain. I would be happy if the above mentioned one is true and accepted every where as they claim it to be. Does any one have any personal experience?
Old 8th December 2008, 21:13   #133
Senior - BHPian

In Germany, your Indian license along with a IDP will be valid for 6 months. Anything beyond that, you have to get a proper german license. Be prepared to shell out close to a 1000 Euros for that. And if you are moving to germany for long term, would suggest you start your process as soon as you land. It would take some 2-3 months as you would have to give both the exams - written and practical. Also, would suggest you do at least a few driving classes as well as the german examiners are very very tough !

PS: i lived in germany for close to 1.5 years
Old 9th December 2008, 07:30   #134
BHPian

Thanks ethanhunt123...

I should be in Germany for more than a year for sure...Guess will have to get the proper German license..

Where in Germany were you? I am moving to Munich.
Old 9th December 2008, 13:41   #135
Senior - BHPian

Guys, despite what you say, my BIL was in Scotland for a year in 2006, and he said he could not get cars on rent because he did not have an IDP. His license was in English, but I believe that was not enough.
He is going again now, but to the US. He does not want to take chances, so I accompanied him to the RTA yesterday at Hyderabad. Two additional requirements are there now for an IDP:-
1. One needs to have a medical exam at the RTA.
2. One needs a valid visa ( I'd got my IDP in 2003 with only a passport, and no visa).

Since his visa has expired, he needs to re-visit them after getting a B1--he is going this weekend to Chennai Consulate.
What I did not know was that the DL needs to be issued from the same place (Hyd). Since his DL was from Vizag, he was asked to apply there, or get his address changed to Hyd first. He did the latter, and after coughing up some money to a broker, got the address changed on his DL.
We still have one more question:- -should the passport be issued at Hyd too? His passport was re-issued at Chennai last year. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by vnabhi : 9th December 2008 at 13:45.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks