Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 23rd February 2011, 23:00   #181
Senior - BHPian

Re: The International Driving License (IDL) / International Driving Permit (IDP) Thre

Guys, Let me clear few things.

1. A driving permit is not a driving license. What It means is that a driving permit must be supported by the driving license the number of which is endorsed in the driving permit.

2. The validity period for driving permit would be the duration of visa or one year whichever is less. It means that if you have a visa for two months, you will get a driving permit for two months only.

3. Its a few hours job at RTO. However, the DL must be from the same state if not from the same RTO else the RTO may direct you to the parent RTO.

If anyone needs I can post pics of my permit.

Last edited by TaureanBull : 23rd February 2011 at 23:04.
Old 24th February 2011, 10:13   #182
Senior - BHPian

Re: The International Driving License (IDL) / International Driving Permit (IDP) Thre

Is medical certificate mandatory for the IDP. I am planning to apply for one after I receive my Visa. Pls find below the requirements as listed in Maharashtra RTO website.

Quote:
IDP is valid only in the country we have signed under UN conversion.
Basic Requirement :
1. Valid driving License along with certified copies
2. Passport along with certified copies
3. Visa along with certified copies
4. Medical Certificate in Form IA
5. Payment of prescribed fees (at present Rs.500/- only)
6. Applicant should submit the application in whose jurisdiction he stays. It is advisable to applicant to get the necessary changes about the address on motor driving License before submitting the application for IDP.
7. The applicant is required to appear before licensing authority for grant of IDP.
Form of IDP (to be collected from Head Clerk MDL
Old 24th February 2011, 10:29   #183
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Is medical certificate mandatory for the IDP. I am planning to apply for one after I receive my Visa. Pls find below the requirements as listed in Maharashtra RTO website.
If its mentioned then they will ask for it. In my case they did not. In Delhi RTO their check list was different. But you can find doctors near the RTO doing this job.
Old 24th February 2011, 10:33   #184
Senior - BHPian

I have been driving in US, Canada, Australia and UK for more than 15 years and never possessed an IDP. Everywhere it was sufficient to have a valid Indian driving license in English language. In US, many states clearly mention that they do not recognize IDP as a valid document. In fact there is a major online scam of issuing IDPs and please be wary of such websites who claim to issue them.

Last edited by vasoo : 24th February 2011 at 10:36.
Old 24th February 2011, 11:49   #185
Senior - BHPian

Which are the states in US, that need a IDP/local license and do not accept the Indian driving license ? I've driven in Ohio, Mass, Rhode Island, New York, New Jersey, Penn, Connecticut using the Indian license alone without any issues.
Old 24th February 2011, 12:37   #186
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
Which are the states in US, that need a IDP/local license and do not accept the Indian driving license ? I've driven in Ohio, Mass, Rhode Island, New York, New Jersey, Penn, Connecticut using the Indian license alone without any issues.
No state in US accepts IDP. License from your home country is a must.

Most states except Foreign license as long as you are on a short term VISA.
However, Nevada is one such state which requires a US driving license.

That said, most states also say that if your home country license is not in english, you need an IDP which will act as a "translation".
Old 24th February 2011, 13:14   #187
BHPian

Guys, help me in this.

1. I am going to Kansas City, MO. Should I be getting a IDL or my Indian DL (which is in English) enough to drive a car there?

2. I am going on a H4 (dependent) visa - my wife has got a H1. Is the status of my visa anywhere related to my driving in the US?

Thanks in advance!!
Old 24th February 2011, 13:31   #188
Team-BHP Support

Kansas allows foreign driver license upto a period of one year. So as long as your DL is in english, you do not need IDP
Infact IDP is not a license, its just a translation of your license and can be used in conjunction with your India license only.
Old 24th February 2011, 15:26   #189
Senior - BHPian

TSK, As you said in your response to Vijay, IDP is a 'translation' document supporting the foreign driving license. The states I drove so far accepted my Indian driving license since it was in English.

It is the exceptions like Nevada is what i was curious about.

On a long-term visa, i think the time limit is dependent on the duration you have stay to establish 'residency' in the state.

PS: Your handle reminds the Madras registered license plate numbers of the 80s
Old 29th April 2011, 18:09   #190
BANNED

Just got a IDP for travel to Europe, but the IDP is filled and signed by the RTO only on the English language page.

The next page which is in French has not been signed. My photograph also is on the English language pages.

Is the IDP meant to be filled by the RTO in the foreign language pages so that the French can read the document?
Old 27th May 2011, 22:22   #191
Distinguished - BHPian

Some one please answer my questions.

I will be relocating to UK [work basis] with quite a few trips to Middle East [Dubai mostly] frequently.

1. So is it ok for me to have just the Indian license for both the countries?
2. If its not ok, should I take IDL for these countries?
3. Again is the same IDL good enough for both countries [since one is RHD & the other LHD] or do we need to have separate IDLs for both countries?
4. Whats the validity of the IDLs?
5. How much time does it take for the IDLs to process once we submit the application form?
6. Can we manage to get the actual licence of these countries [UK / Dubai etc] if we are working there?

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 27th May 2011 at 22:24.
Old 6th June 2011, 16:09   #192
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumar2007 View Post
Just got a IDP for travel to Europe, but the IDP is filled and signed by the RTO only on the English language page.

The next page which is in French has not been signed. My photograph also is on the English language pages.

Is the IDP meant to be filled by the RTO in the foreign language pages so that the French can read the document?
IDP will be issued in India only in English Language. This is enough and don't worry about the French Language. What you got is exactly the same everybody gets. Be happy and enjoy your drive overseas.
Old 6th June 2011, 16:20   #193
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Some one please answer my questions.

I will be relocating to UK [work basis] with quite a few trips to Middle East [Dubai mostly] frequently.

1. So is it ok for me to have just the Indian license for both the countries?

ANS.: I've hired a Car in UK and the Rent-a-Car company accepted my Indian license and they ignored IDP.

2. If its not ok, should I take IDL for these countries?

ANS.: Go ahead with teh IDP, it is a back up document for your Indian License.

3. Again is the same IDL good enough for both countries [since one is RHD & the other LHD] or do we need to have separate IDLs for both countries?

ANS.: It is not IDL, but it is IDP. Yes the same IDP will do for any No. of Countries. But I guess, UAE is not a signatory, in the list of countries, where IDP is issued. So, check with the local rent-a-car guys.

4. Whats the validity of the IDLs?

ANS.: ONE Year

5. How much time does it take for the IDLs to process once we submit the application form?

ANS.: One day or maximum 3 days.

6. Can we manage to get the actual licence of these countries [UK / Dubai etc] if we are working there?
ANS.: Yes you can get, but you can be a Resident of only One Country at a time. In Dubai, you can get a DL once you get your Resident Permit (Local Identity Card). You'll not get this Card, if you're going there on a visit visa.
jaaz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2011, 18:29   #194
BHPian

Here's the scenario- DL issued in DL(Delhi), Passport issued in Ahmedabad.

Where to apply for the IDP - or am I destined to play Office-Office lest I get the DL issued from Ahmedabad?

WIAA website says the DL needs to be issued from the city where the IDP is being applied.

Is this a valid alternative - The International Driver's License - Drive a vehicle anywhere in the world ? Costs 4x the regular amount.
Old 15th July 2011, 14:42   #195
BHPian

Hi, I am going on a holiday to Thailand soon. Would I need to get an Intl DL or will my Indian DL be valid there? If Intl DL is required how can get one done?

Most Viewed