Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th November 2013, 17:51   #271
Senior - BHPian

Re: The International Driving License (IDL) / International Driving Permit (IDP) Thre

Got my IDP 2 weeks back. Cost me Rs 500 as RTO charges & Rs 50 for medical certificate. Gave the application in the morning & received the booklet in the evening. Procedure is as outlined here: http://rto.kar.nic.in/IDP-PROCcss.html.
Quote:
1. Applicaiton Form CMV 4-A available in the office/download from website.

2. IDP Fee of Rs. 500/- (to be payable at Cash Counter)

3. Original Valid Driving Licence + Passport + Visa + Air Ticket ( with one set xerox copies)

4. Medical Certificate in form CMV 1 & CMV 1A shall be enclosed along with the application.

5. Three Recent passport size photographs.

6. Candidate shall appear in person.

7. The applicant should be citizen of India.

8. Applicant shall appear for re-test if the Driving Licence issued is within three months.

9. The address in the Driving licence should fall under the jurisdiction of the Regional Transport office to where the application for IDP is being made.
This was at RTO 51. Note that address of RTO 51 has changed.

New address is,
Regional Transport Office, Electronic-City No 7b,
Ward No 188, BTM 4th Stage, 2nd Block, Next to KEB sub station,
Near Devarachikkanahalli bus stop, Bangalore 560076.
Ph no: 080-26482851 -26483551 -26483951

GPS: 12.88725N,77.611422E
msdivy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2013, 22:12   #272
BANNED

Re: The International Driving License (IDL) / International Driving Permit (IDP) Thre

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
Got my IDP 2 weeks back. Cost me Rs 500 as RTO charges & Rs 50 for medical certificate. Gave the application in the morning & received the booklet in the evening. Procedure is as outlined here: http://rto.kar.nic.in/IDP-PROCcss.html.

This was at RTO 51. Note that address of RTO 51 has changed.

New address is,
Regional Transport Office, Electronic-City No 7b,
Ward No 188, BTM 4th Stage, 2nd Block, Next to KEB sub station,
Near Devarachikkanahalli bus stop, Bangalore 560076.
Ph no: 080-26482851 -26483551 -26483951

GPS: 12.88725N,77.611422E
Didn't they try to bully you into buying a National Savings Certificate for 500/-?
Old 16th November 2013, 22:18   #273
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumar2007 View Post
Didn't they try to bully you into buying a National Savings Certificate for 500/-?
No they didn't. What benefit would they get?
Old 17th November 2013, 04:58   #274
BANNED

No clue, but thats what they try to do for me usually. Sometimes, I am forced to give in. It's there on the list of documents needed. Like, how you had to buy a NSC when you bought a car a few years ago.
Old 17th November 2013, 13:46   #275
Senior - BHPian

is this IDP valid in the UAE ?
Old 9th December 2013, 12:10   #276
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No they didn't. What benefit would they get?
I got my IDP just over a week back. No one mentioned something about taking any certificate etc. Fees are Rs.500 as mentioned above. You do need a medical certificate from a government hospital that has to be furnished.

Went to RTO in K.R. Puram (actually near Bhattarahalli) on Old Madras road. Submission took 15 mins including paying the fee. I collected it a couple of days later, though it maybe done the same afternoon or by next day.
Old 9th December 2013, 13:05   #277
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revtech View Post
is this IDP valid in the UAE ?
A bit late. Yes, IDP is required as per RTA. But you can drive only rental cars. For driving private cars, you will need local license. Rentals are easy from Airport but they levy 30 AED as one time charges. Rentals inside city need some guarantee and hence cumbersome.
Old 9th December 2013, 13:51   #278
BHPian

Quote:
A bit late. Yes, IDP is required as per RTA. But you can drive only rental cars. For driving private cars, you will need local license. Rentals are easy from Airport but they levy 30 AED as one time charges. Rentals inside city need some guarantee and hence cumbersome.
also, you need to be on a Visit Visa, if you are on a residence Visa the rental company is not allowed to rent out the Car to you even if you have an IDP.
Old 11th December 2013, 01:25   #279
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by shivshanker View Post
also, you need to be on a Visit Visa, if you are on a residence Visa the rental company is not allowed to rent out the Car to you even if you have an IDP.
thanks... is this written any where on the IDP ? and u assume this is applicable for any car rental, even supercars.

rev
Old 11th December 2013, 08:41   #280
BHPian

Quote:
thanks... is this written any where on the IDP ? and u assume this is applicable for any car rental, even supercars.

rev
I do not think this is written on the IDP. However, as the IDP is meant to be a short term approval for Driving in a Foreign country, I was told that the acceptance in Middle East is limited to the Visit Visa term.

well know it for a fact that since I lived in t he Middle East for a long stretch of years.

I am not sure on the super cars rental schemes.
Old 11th December 2013, 08:47   #281
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

rev
IDP requirement is as per Road Transport Authority, UAE. Yes, its applicable to any rental cars for folks on visitor visa.
Old 11th December 2013, 11:31   #282
BHPian

In US there is no restriction on the vehicle you can drive rental or private. Your license is valid for certain days and thats it.

Private vehicle owners dont encourage visitors to take the wheel only because of insurance. Things go wrong when you least expect it. I have driven private cars on weekend trips, where the owner had extended the insurance to cover me as additional driver.

Insurance wouldn't cover if anything went wrong unless pre-approved. But the liability of owner does not seize for allowing the vehicle to be used.

IDP has validity usually for the trip. But the license rule is governed by the local state laws. IDP is only an extension to your valid DL, for readability and nothing more. It is not mandatory. Atleast in US as I often visit. Cant say the same for other countries.

I got IDP for my first two visits to US, then stopped the practice as our license in English is readable. I've been stopped couple of times for over speeding, the cops had no issues with the Indian license.

Last edited by HillMan : 11th December 2013 at 11:35.
Old 11th December 2013, 15:43   #283
Senior - BHPian

IDP is not required in many countries, provided your existing license is in English and legible. I never had it and have been driving rented cars in US, Canada, Australia, UK and Europe using my Indian DL for many years.
Old 20th January 2014, 20:44   #284
Senior - BHPian

Refreshing this thread. I am planning to be in Oman for better part of this year on a business visa. Considering the hassle of obtaining a license there, thinking of IDP. I will be using only rental cars.

Somewhere above I see IDP is valid only for visit visas. If anyone is having an idea on this specifically about Oman, please help me out in giving some info. Thanks in advance.
Old 21st January 2014, 07:39   #285
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
Refreshing this thread. I am planning to be in Oman for better part of this year on a business visa. Considering the hassle of obtaining a license there, thinking of IDP. I will be using only rental cars.

Somewhere above I see IDP is valid only for visit visas. If anyone is having an idea on this specifically about Oman, please help me out in giving some info. Thanks in advance.
Yes, Shaju the IDP is only accepted if you are on a visit visa, ROP is really strict when it comes to DL's. However you can one of the following;

1. there are a lot of Indians who ply the private taxi, you can tie up with them as flagging a passing Taxi is something which is really rare.

2. if you are up to it .. buy a Motorcycle and drive from day 1, as they allow you to drive on the main roads with a Learner's license as well. But in summer can be a challenge. Royal Enfield is around 2000OMR on road, so you can plan accordingly.

3. If you have a UK or USA Driving license even an Aussie one you can convert it on the spot for a local DL.

4. be patient and then go through the rigmarole of appearing for tests. I used to go to the testing area at around 4.30 am to queue up for the tests.

hope this helps

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks