Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st January 2014, 08:07   #286
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivshanker View Post

Yes, Shaju the IDP is only accepted if you are on a visit visa, ROP is really strict when it comes to DL's. However you can one of the following.......
hope this helps
Thanks a lot for the info. I was there for 5 yrs till 2005. I never needed a DL as my work did not involve moving around. My wife has an Omani DL till 2015, but she is not coming with me now

Bike is a good option but the heat will rip off our skull from Feb. Going for the tests is a pain and time consuming. I will check what is the best option. IDP becomes void as I am not on visit.

I was there for 14 days last month. Was surprised to see the number of hatchbacks this time. Suzuki Swift is plenty.

Thanks again.
Old 5th February 2014, 20:46   #287
BHPian

Re: The International Driving License (IDL) / International Driving Permit (IDP) Thre

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritik123 View Post
I got my IDL from this site: http://idl-iaa.com/

Whether its required or not, its always better to have one to be on the safer side.

Advantage of getting it from US, rather than India, is that u will get a smart chip embedded card. It will look more "in" than a booklet issued by RTO. Atleast thats how its issued in blr.

They ship to India, but if you want to save on the shipping charges, you might want to have it mailed to your office in US or some frnds in US.
I once got the IDP from this site - and lot of my friends did as well. But i think its not legally valid. Once - way back in 2006 did show this to a NY Cop (because for some reason we were searching for route and magically landed at a dead end near a warehouse - where cops were standing) and he said that it was not valid. The Indian driving license which i showed next and he said was valid to drive in NY state.
Old 8th February 2014, 14:52   #288

Re: The International Driving License (IDL) / International Driving Permit (IDP) Thre

Only recently, I was thinking of getting an IDP, to visit Malaysia and drive there. I found an overview of the procedure on the RTO website: http://www.mahatranscom.in/idp.aspx . They've given it in a relatively sloppy way.

The best bet would be to go through an agent.

What I definitely know is that you need a visa to begin with to obtain one. Another thing I was told was that it gets renewed when you visit India within the year.

I hope this helps.

Regards,
G P.
Old 2nd March 2014, 12:55   #289
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quick urgent query please.

While I have been driving rental cars in various parts of the world on various holidays, by using the combo of my Indian DL + Automobile Association issued IDP, I am now in a 'different' situation and need some answers please.

I am in the US for almost a month from tomorrow. My wife is going to be on consulting assignment there for a bit so I will keep commuting up and down maybe once a quarter or so.

We are on L1 Visas.

In this scenario, being on L1 and since I am only visiting from time to time and staying for no more than say a month at a time, will I need to get an US License in order to rent a car, or will my Indian DL + IDP combo do?

I normally buy those 'peace of mind' covers whenever I rent, so I guess that should cover the insurance part, right?

Now, in case, after a while, my wife buys a car while she is there, can I drive that car using my Indian DL + IDP combo or will I have to get an US license? For a US license, I guess a Social Security number too is needed, right?

This doubt arises from the scenario as follows; I continue to live and work almost all of the time, in India and shall only be commuting up and down, now and then, like any businessperson or Holiday maker.

The only difference is that instead of either the more normal B or C visa I have an L1.

Of course, I will ensure that whatever car she may buy, is insured for Additional driver as well.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 2nd March 2014 at 13:08. Reason: Grammar...
Old 2nd March 2014, 13:08   #290
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Quick urgent query please.

I am in the US for almost a month from tomorrow. My wife is going to be on consulting assignment there for a bit so I will keep commuting up and down maybe once a quarter or so.

A couple of years back, I used to visit the US every quarter and used to rent cars from Hertz. At the time of renting, I just had to produce my Indian DL and passport and no other papers were required. I remember having heard from someone that if your stay is less than 6 months, you do not require a US license (not sure how accurate this statement is). It is possible that this applies to B1/B2 visas as the maximum stay allowed on these visas is only 6 months. Not sure about L1 visa though. Have you finalized the car rental company? If yes, you could call them in advance and check the DL rules for L1 visa.

Enjoy your stay and drives in the US. It is totally stress free driving there. Sorely miss those days!
graaja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2014, 13:10   #291
BHPian

Shankar,

In general different states within the USA have different Motor Vehicle and Driving license rules. Rather what I mean is that each state issues its own DL based on their evaluation criteria and that DL in the US is not a Federal gov. issued document.

However, the IDP is widely recognized in the US and please make it a point to carry one, when I have rented vehicles in the US, I have done that based on my Indian DL only w/o an IDP. People say that insurance companies are sticky / finicky about claims without the IDP, but I haven't come across any such written documentation.

The general rule is that you are allowed to drive for one year based on your Indian DL and must take up a local license at the earliest.

It should not matter if you have an L1 as an L1 is an inter company transfer which does not have a quota. much similar to that of the H1B.

For registering the car in one's own name, they should provide a local address within the state of registration.

Hope this helps
shivshanker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2014, 14:44   #292
BANNED

Quote:
different states within the USA have different Motor Vehicle and Driving license rules.

However, the IDP is widely recognized in the US and please make it a point to carry one, when I have rented vehicles in the US, I have done that based on my Indian DL only w/o an IDP.

The general rule is that you are allowed to drive for one year based on your Indian DL and must take up a local license at the earliest.

It should not matter if you have an L1 as an L1 is an inter company transfer which does not have a quota. much similar to that of the H1B.

For registering the car in one's own name, they should provide a local address within the state of registration.

Hope this helps
Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
, I just had to produce my Indian DL and passport and no other papers were required. I remember having heard from someone that if your stay is less than 6 months, you do not require a US license (not sure how accurate this statement is). It is possible that this applies to B1/B2 visas as the maximum stay allowed on these visas is only 6 months. Not sure about L1 visa though. Have you finalized the car rental company? If yes, you could call them in advance and check the DL rules for L1 visa.

Enjoy your stay and drives in the US. It is totally stress free driving there. Sorely miss those days!
Thanks a lot.

Yes I have my Indian DL (Card Type- renewed just three years ago and valid for 20 years.) I have the IDP from Automobile Association (AA) which is also affiliated to Automobile Association of America (AAA). I ve always taken an IDP whenever I intended driving abroad. This time also Im doing the same.

Yes my wife is being transferred inter-company. I am listed as her "dependent" on this visa.

I am only going for a month this time to help her settle in, but I will keep visiting every quarter or so for max 12 days at a time.

I have not yet finalised which rental company to use. It will probably be National or one of those similar ones.

Let me see - I guess I will go like I would normally do, as a tourist and rent a car for a bit. Then we will play it by ear after that.

Cheers and thanks
Old 14th March 2014, 15:34   #293
BHPian

I am travelling to UK (London) on business visa. Planning to go for one of the supercar experience tracks. I only have normal drives license. Do I need an IDP? How much time will it take to get it done? My travel is on 23rd March.

I have a smart card license (duplicate) issued by Karnataka RTO.

Last edited by mac187 : 14th March 2014 at 15:36.
Old 15th March 2014, 12:24   #294
BHPian

Strictly speaking, yes, you must have an IDP, if you submit passport and visa copy, it is a days job. Atleast in Kerala, it is. I take it every year
Old 15th April 2014, 17:28   #295
Senior - BHPian

Guys, the RTO in Bangalore is issuing IDP only in English language :-( As I understood it, there needs to be translation in 10 languages in the IDP, so can some of the bhpians confirm if they have pages in their IDP booklet filled up in French, German, Italian ?

My IDP booklet only has English pages and French pages. And RTO has only filled up the English pages :-( Now, if you're driving in Italy, won't they need a Italian translation in the IDP ?
Old 15th April 2014, 19:54   #296
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac187 View Post
I am travelling to UK (London) on business visa. Planning to go for one of the supercar experience tracks. I only have normal drives license. Do I need an IDP? How much time will it take to get it done? My travel is on 23rd March.

I have a smart card license (duplicate) issued by Karnataka RTO.
Late reply. The IDP does not work for this kind of thing.
For all supercar experiences and off road workshop experiences you need a local UK license and need to have held that for at least two years.
I have tried several times to get onto one of the above mentioned experiences but have not succeeded so far on account of the above.
Old 15th April 2014, 19:58   #297
BANNED

Quote:
Shankar,

Hope this helps

So I went along to an Enterprise Rental Depot with my IDP and KA DL and rented a nice Chevy Cruze Sports version (RS5) with sun roof and all the bells and whistles, for a month. Used it the whole of March, dropped it at the airport on my way out, caught a plane and came home.
Next visit I am going to exactly the same thing.
Cheers!
Old 15th April 2014, 21:39   #298
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
So I went along to an Enterprise Rental Depot with my IDP and KA DL and rented a nice Chevy Cruze Sports version (RS5) with sun roof and all the bells and whistles, for a month. Used it the whole of March, dropped it at the airport on my way out, caught a plane and came home.
Next visit I am going to exactly the same thing.
Cheers!
The airport drop off is a great feature, I am sure next time you will chose a different vehicle. Maybe you can start a new thread with reviews of some of these international vehicles.
Old 11th May 2014, 12:14   #299
BHPian

Re: Traffic and life on the road in Chennai

Folks, Urgent Help
I'am moving to Toronto on a long term deputation. Came to know that getting driving license in Ontario is an uphill task. But if one has more than 24 months of driving exp and has a Letter of authentication from RTO office (in their letter head) stating the same,things might become a little easy.Has anyone got that letter from RTO office,If yes can you please share the template/what's it called in the local RTO office? i'll be visiting Thiruvanmiyur,chennai RTO office.

The trouble is my name is having short initial in driving license and expanded initial in passport,Address is different between passport and Driving license and my old license was not issued in chennai.

And i have one day to all this.

Has any one faced such situation? Your inputs would be of great help.

Thanks
Old 11th May 2014, 16:03   #300
Senior - BHPian

Re: Traffic and life on the road in Chennai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wall-e
I'am moving to Toronto on a long term deputation. Came to know that getting driving license in Ontario is an uphill task.
When I was travelling to Belgium in 1998, I thought it would be a good idea to get an IDPL and while getting one looked easy on paper, there were lots of conditions (eg. same address on license and passport etc). I went to the RTO but gave up.

I have not heard of this letter on letter-pad thing, but couple of suggestions :
1) I have heard that such stuff is a one-day thing for those that are members of Automobile Association. You could try that route.
2) Check with any team-bhpians in Canada about how it actually is there and what can help.
supremeBaleno is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks