Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th May 2015, 14:12   #346
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The International Driving License (IDL) / International Driving Permit (IDP) Thread

Might not have an issue in UK, but I'd rather be on the safe side. It is only a moderate nuisance getting the medical cert and going to AASI.

I'm still not decided on the hire-car-or-not question anyway, but, best to be prepared.
Old 11th May 2015, 19:21   #347
BHPian

Re: The International Driving License (IDL) / International Driving Permit (IDP) Thread

EU countries do not require IDP if your home country license is in English. So is the case with Most US states. Only UAE and some Asian countries require mandatory IDP. Have been driving in Europe since past 6 years with my RJ-10 issued license (Half torn now). Not once been questioned.
vinayrathore is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2015, 11:16   #348
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinayrathore View Post
EU countries do not require IDP if your home country license is in English. So is the case with Most US states. Only UAE and some Asian countries require mandatory IDP. Have been driving in Europe since past 6 years with my RJ-10 issued license (Half torn now). Not once been questioned.
Vinay - Just want to reconfirm what you have said above - I am going to Ireland later this month and was planning to rent a car. I have a the old fashioned paper licence where the RTO inspector has signed with his seal. There is a mention in the paper that this license allows we to drive anywhere in India. Do car rental agencies accept this ? I checked on the IDP part but I dont think I will be able to get it because the passport address and the license address is different. License is also issued out of Kerala where I have no connections now to get the address change effected.

Last edited by narayan : 3rd June 2015 at 11:19.
Old 3rd June 2015, 11:24   #349
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
Vinay - Just want to reconfirm what you have said above - I am going to Ireland later this month and was planning to rent a car. I have a the old fashioned paper licence where the RTO inspector has signed with his seal. There is a mention in the paper that this license allows we to drive anywhere in India. Do car rental agencies accept this ? I checked on the IDP part but I dont think I will be able to get it because the passport address and the license address is different. License is also issued out of Kerala where I have no connections now to get the address change effected.
Hi Narayan,

If its the paper card type laminated one and is in english, will work coz thats the one i have. Mine have the seal and sign too. Not sure about the booklet type though.

Regards
Vinay

Last edited by vinayrathore : 3rd June 2015 at 11:25.
Old 3rd June 2015, 11:41   #350
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinayrathore View Post
Hi Narayan,

If its the paper card type laminated one and is in english, will work coz thats the one i have. Mine have the seal and sign too. Not sure about the booklet type though.

Regards
Vinay

Vinay
thanks. Mine is a regular A4 sized paper. not the booklet. Its not laminated though but good idea - let me get that done. will add to its authenticity
Old 3rd June 2015, 17:50   #351
BHPian

Continuing on what members vinayrathore and narayan discussed, can anybody please confirm if the 'booklet' type license is valid for renting a car in the UK? Planning for a Scotland self drive tour next month. My 'booklet' license is in English and says the holder is authorized to drive across India. Is an IDP required ?

Edit: Also, getting an IDP is now tough for me since the license was issued from a place where I dont have any contacts now. Visitng the RTO would be a tedious task.

Last edited by deoelect : 3rd June 2015 at 17:54.
Old 4th June 2015, 05:50   #352
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deoelect View Post
Continuing on what members vinayrathore and narayan discussed, can anybody please confirm if the 'booklet' type license is valid for renting a car in the UK? Planning for a Scotland self drive tour next month. My 'booklet' license is in English and says the holder is authorized to drive across India. Is an IDP required ?

Edit: Also, getting an IDP is now tough for me since the license was issued from a place where I dont have any contacts now. Visitng the RTO would be a tedious task.
Based on my experience, a license printed in English is fine with DMV and police here in US. As long as you drive following norms carefully, they don't disturb the driver unlike as is done in India! Car renting agencies don't even look at IDP while renting! On a side note, even clubs accept Indian driving licence to allow entry! 😀
Gokrish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2015, 09:36   #353
Team-BHP Support

Honestly, I don't see the relevance of an IDP, at least in the US.

As several members have pointed out, car rental agencies accept the Indian DL for rentals. I have rented cars from Enterprise/Avis on the DL and even subscribed to Zipcar with it. No one even bothered about my IDP.

Even better, if you have an Indian DL, DMV will accept that and allow you to take the written/driving test immediately for an US DL (without requiring you to take a Learner's Permit).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gokrish View Post
On a side note, even clubs accept Indian driving licence to allow entry! ��
Don't go with this assumption; I have seen people across the US being denied entry almost every single time on presenting the Indian DL. This may work on a one-off basis but will definitely not work in a more upscale place, esp. Thurs-Sun.
Old 4th June 2015, 11:14   #354
BHPian

Quote:
Continuing on what members vinayrathore and narayan discussed, can anybody please confirm if the 'booklet' type license is valid for renting a car in the UK?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gokrish View Post
Based on my experience, a license printed in English is fine with DMV and police here in US. As long as you drive following norms carefully, they don't disturb the driver unlike as is done in India! 😀
I do not think the type of license should make any difference here. Be it the booklet or the card type, its after all a Driving License and in English. Technically should be acceptable. You can still call up the rental company and inform them about the license you have to be safe.
Old 4th June 2015, 16:58   #355
Senior - BHPian

Friends
Am at London this week, and just discovered that i might have to extend my stay till mid of next week.

Two things -
1. Can someone point me to the best Self Drive Rentals that i can avail in London
2. Also some pointers on where i can drive to - prefer some scenic county side. Just a day trip and back is what i am thinking of, for this Saturday.

Any help / pointers will be really appreciated. Thanks.
Old 7th June 2015, 14:18   #356

Quote:
can anybody please confirm if the 'booklet' type license is valid for renting a car in the UK? My 'booklet' license is in English and says the holder is authorized to drive across India. Is an IDP required ?

I can confirm that booklet type driving license written in English is valid for 12 months of entry. First hand experience as I stayed there for more than a year and got a valid UK driving license after 11 months of stay.
My office used to rent a car for me based on my Indian ( Gujarat, 1992 booklet type) license. All Indian States driving license mention that it's valid within India, and so did mine. My license still was valid for a year since my entry into UK.
IDP is not required, they do not ask for it.
rysk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2015, 11:21   #357
BHPian

Quote:
.....can anybody please confirm if the 'booklet' type license is valid for renting a car in the UK? Planning for a Scotland self drive tour next month. My 'booklet' license is in English and says the holder is authorized to drive across India. Is an IDP required ?

I have just returned from a driving holiday in England. As per UK driving laws, a DL in English is sufficient for renting / hiring and driving cars in the UK. Please refer to the following:

http://www.visitbritain.com/en/Trans...n-Britain.html

Quote:
If you want to drive in Britain, you must have either:

- A valid full driving licence issued in a European Community/European Economic area (EC/EEA)*

- A valid, full national licence issued in your country (Provided your full licence or driving permit remains valid, you may drive vehicles up to 3.5 tonnes and with up to 8 passenger seats, for up to 12 months from the date of coming to the UK)
Note : A provisional (learner's) driving licence issued abroad is not valid for use in the UK.
Having said that - my booking specifically required that if the driver held an Indian Driving License, then the rental agency required a separate IDP.

However, just to double check - I contacted the customer care and asked them the same question. To which they replied that a DL printed in english and roman numerals was good enough for renting and driving cars.

Since there seemed to be some confusion over this point - I eventually did apply for a IDL, which in itself was a very simple and quick procedure and cost just Rs. 500/-.

At the rental agency - they booking clerk did not specifically ask me for my IDL but only for my passport and DL - however, I did show him my IDL simply of my own volition.

Sorry for the confusion but I would suggest you do get an IDL if you can.

Last edited by PGNarain : 8th June 2015 at 11:23.
PGNarain is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2015, 12:15   #358

One thing about the IDP that I can't help but notice. For example in Austria there is a requirement that you should have the IDP (or) your license in German. The IDP issued in India just has some pages in French and that too isn't filled in ? What does one do in such a case ? We recently drove in Austria via Germany, no-one asked us for anything since we didn't pick up the rental there...but I was just wondering...
Old 15th June 2015, 13:21   #359
BHPian

Folks, I am in London & Reading UK for next 3 weeks. The car rental looks to be very cheap - lesser than 2k INR for a decent two-door car. Is it recommended to rent out one? Work reimburses them though - hope there are no complications etc.
Old 15th June 2015, 13:34   #360
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pahwa View Post
Folks, I am in London & Reading UK for next 3 weeks. The car rental looks to be very cheap - lesser than 2k INR for a decent two-door car. Is it recommended to rent out one? Work reimburses them though - hope there are no complications etc.
If your stay in London is restricted to areas in Travelcard zones 1 & 2, don't bother with a rental car. Use public transport (bus/tube/train) and taxis. Out in the suburbs, you might find a car more useful.
Do go ahead and rent a car while you are in Reading.

Make sure you read the Highway Code booklet before hitting the road, and you should be good.
KiloAlpha is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks