Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 14th February 2007, 12:24   #91

You can drive in NJ with indian licence. Thr's no problem with that anymore. Again NJ i believe is the only State which doesn't require a driving test if you have a valid indian licence when u go for NJ licence.
Old 14th February 2007, 15:55   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazykul View Post
You can drive in NJ with indian licence. Thr's no problem with that anymore. Again NJ i believe is the only State which doesn't require a driving test if you have a valid indian licence when u go for NJ licence.

Haha....with the number of desis in NJ, I wouldn't be surprised....

In fact, with the Indian influx there, the DMV might require everyone to have an Indian license instead!
Old 14th February 2007, 23:05   #93
Senior - BHPian

I am currently in Denver, Colorado till this weekend. I have rented a car using my Indian Driving License. I was in California during the last two weeks. I drove using my Indian Driving License there too.
Old 17th February 2007, 14:38   #94
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by aah78 View Post
in New York you can drive with your Indian License (no IDP required) while you are required to have an IDP in New Jersey.
Are you sure about this aah78? Next month I will be driving in both NY and NJ, all I have is an Indian license (the computerised card) and an expired NJ license.

It was my impression that only licenses written in non-English language need an IDP to act like translator. If NJ requires IDP irrespective of that, then I guess I have to get an IDP soon.

Edit: An IDP is an supplement to the driver's license. It is not like you can carry either one of them. An IDP is worthless without the DL.

Last edited by Samurai : 17th February 2007 at 14:45.
Old 20th February 2007, 15:00   #95
BHPian

I have driven in US many times all over the US while on B1/b2 visa.

Few tips from my experience.

When you are on a temp trip like on a b1/B2 , it means you are travelling on business.

1. Have three documents on you (Alaways) - Indian Driving License, IDP & Passport. When a cop pull you over, he will ask for your passport (ID) once you tell him that you are a business traveller. Then your indian license helps and IDP may not be required unless you show it also.
2. Most important thing is that when you rent a car in one state and driving to another states, always mention it in the agreement.
3. ensure that you are covered by insurance completely.
4. Its generally not a good idea to have a codriver signed in who is also on Indian license. Good to have a codriver who has a US license.
5. some of the traffic rules vary in different states. its a good idea to know them before you start driving or talk to some friends in that state.
Old 20th February 2007, 18:45   #96
BHPian

I have rented cars in NJ, CA, MI, WI, TX with my Indian license (no IDP) and you should the shape it is in, its literally in shreds but still they just took a xerox of it, swiped my card and said enjoy ur drive n drive safely. But I travel on B1 only so guess it dont matter when you never stay in the US beyond 3 months, never was stopped cause I did not try anything crazy..

PS there are only 3 states in the US where you dont need insurance, yes its optional when you rent cars Wisconsin is one of them, dont remember the other two.. google it

Chaxy has given some good inputs above

Last edited by anarchist : 20th February 2007 at 18:47.
Old 20th February 2007, 19:06   #97
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo View Post
Generally, a person 18 to 75 years of age with a valid out-of-country driver license in their possession may drive a private, non-commercial motor vehicle in the State of Texas for up to one year from date of entry into the United States, if their home country has reciprocity with the U.S. In order to check for reciprocity agreement status, click on Reciprocity In Driver Licensing or you may contact License Issuance at (512) 424-5089 or by e-mail at license.issuance@txdps.state.tx.us. 37 Texas Administrative Code 15.91.
So I checked this Reciprocity code 15.91 here.

India is listed there, that means Indian license must be valid in Texas too.
Old 20th February 2007, 22:46   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaxy View Post
I have driven in US many times all over the US while on B1/b2 visa.

Few tips from my experience.

4. Its generally not a good idea to have a codriver signed in who is also on Indian license. Good to have a codriver who has a US license.
agree with everything you said except the above. Not sure how that helps
Old 5th March 2007, 13:31   #99
Team-BHP Support

Checkout this document. The answer to question #4 addresses the issue. USA doesn't need IDP unless your DL is in non-English language.

http://www.mass.gov/rmv/forms/21317.pdf
Old 3rd July 2007, 22:52   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by panky12345 View Post
No ways dude!! You need to have 2 documents, 1 each from primary and secondary. With an Indian Licence nobody will allow you to touch a car even! (in MN) forget renting!

and even if you manage to rent, how would you drive!! (considering the fantastic driving exposure you have in India) LOL!
I've rented a car from Hertz and driven in MN around 3 months back on B1. Needless to say, I had only a DL issued in Delhi.
Old 16th July 2007, 18:27   #101
Awaiting Email Confirmation

I have been looking for information about IDP for sometime. This is where i got the best info on it.

Thanks all
Old 24th August 2007, 16:06   #102
KVS
BHPian

Info required on Internatiol driving license

I will be traveling to Tennessee next month on a business trip. I have couple of questions.

1. I read on the web, for issuing the International Driving license, passport and driving license should have same address. Can some one confirm this. My DL address and PP address are not same.

2. IS paper DL (not the plastic card) accepted in USA?

3. Can I drive in Tennessee using Indian driving license?

Thanks

KVS
Old 24th August 2007, 22:00   #103
Team-BHP Support

IDL is just a translation. If your license is in non english, then you need IDP, otherwise most US states require your Indian license and not a IDP.
For US purpose if somebody wants to give you IDP, most probably its a scam.
Go to the states website, check out the state you want to go to. They have it clearly mentioned that what do they need for visitors.

Last edited by tsk1979 : 24th August 2007 at 22:02.
Old 24th August 2007, 22:47   #104
BHPian

In Texas, you can drive rental cars with a valid Indian Original license (Not a xerox). For states like Washinton..you would require an International license even for driving rental cars.

Your best bet is to e-mail the state authority like what Ajo Joseph did or check with the state's website.
Old 29th December 2007, 03:41   #105
Senior - BHPian

Came across this link today which seems to be pretty useful.
International Driver Document - Welcome Page

Most Viewed