Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th June 2015, 00:12   #361
BHPian

Re: The International Driving License (IDL) / International Driving Permit (IDP) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
Friends
Am at London this week, and just discovered that i might have to extend my stay till mid of next week.

Two things -
1. Can someone point me to the best Self Drive Rentals that i can avail in London
2. Also some pointers on where i can drive to - prefer some scenic county side. Just a day trip and back is what i am thinking of, for this Saturday.

Any help / pointers will be really appreciated. Thanks.
Hi Jk

If you are still knocking around this part of the world the best firm to hire a car would be Enterprise car rentals , you get good and inexpensive deals , I would recommend Cornwall for a day trip at this time of the year , if you are lucky you might get a glimpse of the resident dolphins from the shore , although the drive and back would eat up an entire day for shore !!
Old 3rd July 2015, 22:08   #362
Senior - BHPian

Re: The International Driving License (IDL) / International Driving Permit (IDP) Thread

Guys,
I am taking a family vacation to Langkawi, Malaysia this month. I plan to rent a self-drive car there for 4 days. I am not sure if an IDP is a must, as I've heard people saying even Indian License in English will do.

Any pointers?
Old 4th July 2015, 03:27   #363
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Guys,
I am taking a family vacation to Langkawi, Malaysia this month. I plan to rent a self-drive car there for 4 days. I am not sure if an IDP is a must, as I've heard people saying even Indian License in English will do.

Any pointers?
In general Indian License written in English is enough. Saying that, its always useful to get an IDP - which can be got seamlessly and with minimum pain from your local Automobile Association Branch.
But you need to be a member first, which is also very easy to do.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2015, 10:27   #364
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
In general Indian License written in English is enough. Saying that, its always useful to get an IDP - which can be got seamlessly and with minimum pain from your local Automobile Association Branch.
Thanks, but honestly, I was not aware of any Automobile Association in India. Is there one like AAA?

Coming back to the topic, as far as I know, IDP is not needed in western countries like US and UK, but I've got mixed responses related to Malaysia. I know a couple of bhpians who could rent cars there with their Indian DL that was in English language.

I was a fool to own IDP twice in the past decade, each time coughing up 1000 bucks (or was it 500?). The IDP issued is a hand-written booklet and not a smart card. I'm sure any cop abroad will find the Indian DL more presentable, as long as it is in smart card form.
Old 4th July 2015, 10:51   #365
BHPian

Quote:
Guys,

Any pointers?
your indian DL should work in Malaysia. I rented twice(langkawi and penang) 3 years back and faced no issues. t's better to write to rental companies to confirm

Quote:
Thanks, but honestly, I was not aware of any Automobile Association in India. Is there one like AAA?

Coming back to the topic, as far as I know, IDP is not needed in western countries like US and UK, but I've got mixed responses related to Malaysia. I know a couple of bhpians who could rent cars there with their Indian DL that was in English language.

I was a fool to own IDP twice in the past decade, each time coughing up 1000 bucks (or was it 500?). The IDP issued is a hand-written booklet and not a smart card. I'm sure any cop abroad will find the Indian DL more presentable, as long as it is in smart card form.
Recently i hired car in Portugal and spain. While spain was okay with Indian DL, portugal insisted on IDP (was mentioned while booking). Also since my DL was paper type and not smart card, they preferred the IDP rather than DL. Though when they saw my DL they mentioned, it's the first time they have seen such DL

Last edited by abbey4u : 4th July 2015 at 10:52.
abbey4u is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2015, 11:01   #366
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbey4u View Post
your indian DL should work in Malaysia. I rented twice(langkawi and penang) 3 years back and faced no issues. t's better to write to rental companies to confirm
Perchance, do you remember the agency from which you rented a car at Langkawi? I do see many options at LGK airport online, but all of them have the same contradictory lines that say DL in Roman letters is fine , but also that an IDP is needed for non-domestic DLs.

Edit: I just now browsed the terms and conditions of Kasina Rent-a-Car and it does not insist on an IDP:

"Kasina recognises all current Malaysian driving licences. Overseas visitor may use recognised current issued by their country of residence. It is important that Renter and any additional drivers must be at least 21 years of age and over, and hold valid licences of at least one year. Provision drivers and newly qualified drivers are definitely prohibited from driving Kasina vehicle.

Kasina reserves the right to decline a prospective Renter whose driving license carries an endorsement. "

Last edited by vnabhi : 4th July 2015 at 11:07.
Old 4th July 2015, 11:41   #367
BHPian

Quote:
Guys,

Any pointers?

You got to be kidding me! I have rented in Langkawi before. This is like Goa or Phuket or Bali. They don't even bother to check whether you have a license. Forget IDP. All rentals are informal. You just need to have a hotel room. Ask your concierge and he will call a known person who will hand you a car for whatever time you need. If you rent outside from a general rental, they will just hang on to an ID proof and hand you the keys.

BTW, it's also quite economical to rent a car with driver it hire taxis in Langkawi. It can be a pain to sometimes park in the main street in Kuah, especially in afternoon/ evening and driver or taxi helps if you are in that area. Other places are good to drive.
reverse_gear is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2015, 16:51   #368
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbey4u View Post
Recently i hired car in Portugal and spain. While spain was okay with Indian DL, portugal insisted on IDP (was mentioned while booking). Also since my DL was paper type and not smart card, they preferred the IDP rather than DL. Though when they saw my DL they mentioned, it's the first time they have seen such DL
Technically, Spain also requires IDP. The rental car company may not always tell you about it, and you will not be generally stopped by the police. But, if you are stopped or get involved in an accident matter, they can very well demand it.

https://www.ricksteves.com/travel-ti...r-requirements
Old 6th July 2015, 18:01   #369
vdm
BHPian

Quote:
There is an Automobile Association in India.It is divided into four divisions, North, South, East & West. In south of India its know as Automobile Association of Southern India & they do issue IDL to its members.
vdm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2015, 08:12   #370
BHPian

The Automobiles Association of South India, Chennai office is on Mount Road, near TVS. One needs to be a life time member to avail IDP service and they help you get an IDP. If your address in passport and DL are same, then it is just a day's job. Again, it is just an English translation of your local licence in the prescribed format! As rightly pointed by most here, in USA, car rental agencies don't even bother to look at it!
Gokrish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2015, 17:47   #371
Senior - BHPian

Can someone confirm on license requirement for Texas, USA? Will eventually have to get the TX license, but wanted to know if I can use IDP or India license when I arrive.
Old 13th July 2015, 18:28   #372
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo View Post
Can someone confirm on license requirement for Texas, USA? Will eventually have to get the TX license, but wanted to know if I can use IDP or India license when I arrive.
For renting and driving, Indian Licence in English is ok! Go to DMV website of Texas State.
Old 27th July 2015, 15:45   #373
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reverse_gear View Post
You got to be kidding me! I have rented in Langkawi before. This is like Goa or Phuket or Bali. They don't even bother to check whether you have a license. Forget IDP. All rentals are informal. You just need to have a hotel room. Ask your concierge and he will call a known person who will hand you a car for whatever time you need. If you rent outside from a general rental, they will just hang on to an ID proof and hand you the keys.
Thanks. I'd like to update that I could rent a car at Langkawi from my hotel's contacts with my Indian license for 70 RM a day, which is around 38 RM cheaper per day when compared to the rates that are quoted online. There is no need for an IDL.
Old 24th August 2015, 07:47   #374
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise View Post
The process is easier if the address in both passport and driving license is same. If not, you need to get an No Objection Certificate from your home tomn to change the address in your driving license. This NOC needs to filed in the concerned Regional Transport office along with your passport copy (as an address proof) & application form of the IDL.

Also you need valid visa, confirmed airticket which needs to be submitted (photocopies needs to be attaced & originals needs to be produced before the office in charge)

They will change the address in your driving license & process the IDL.

This can be completed within weeks time.

Iam not sure whether this can be processed without changing your address in the driving license.

May be you can visit the RTO office in person to get the correct details in one shot as time is killing factor for you
I'm planning a USA visit soon and the problem is that my driving license photo has been slightly smudged after a decade of use (plastic one, not Smart card). To the extent that mobile phone companies now refuse it as a proof of ID.

a. Will getting an IDP solve this concern? Or do i need to postpone my travel till I get a new license issued? I do have a seven year old scan of the license with a clearer photo.
b. My 15 year old license is from Delhi, but my passport is from gurgaon. Will I get stuck on this whole NOC tamasha? How should I do it?
Old 24th August 2015, 08:14   #375
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Do you still need to go to the RTO and buy that 500/- NSC etc? or does the association do it for you?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks