Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 29th September 2016, 10:58   #406
BHPian

Re: The International Driving License (IDL) / International Driving Permit (IDP) Thread

Can someone let me know if an Indian IDP is valid in UAE? We will be visiting in November.
Old 14th October 2016, 18:39   #407
Team-BHP Support

Re: The International Driving License (IDL) / International Driving Permit (IDP) Thread

I'm traveling to Switzerland for work in a week's time and plan on driving around.

Does my Indian DL (the smart card) suffice or would I need an IDP? Do Schengen countries have the same policy in terms of DL requirement?
Old 3rd November 2016, 12:42   #408
BHPian

Folks! I'll be going to Sri Lanka in December. Now according to the car rental company I require an endorsement from the SL Transport Department which they arrange for, however they stated I need an IDL. Can anyone guide me as to what is the correct procedure? Also does anyone have a checklist for the Delhi RTO?
Old 3rd November 2016, 13:33   #409
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by patron View Post
Can someone let me know if an Indian IDP is valid in UAE? We will be visiting in November.
AFAIK, Its not, Although i am not 100% sure on this, Since the last i spoke to car rentals in UAE they completely denied giving any car on rental on a Indian driving licence.

Any more information on this from anyone ?
Old 3rd November 2016, 13:45   #410
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Indian DL & IDP are required to rent in UAE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shady_lawyer View Post
Folks! I'll be going to Sri Lanka in December. Now according to the car rental company I require an endorsement from the SL Transport Department which they arrange for, however they stated I need an IDL. Can anyone guide me as to what is the correct procedure? Also does anyone have a checklist for the Delhi RTO?
Looks like this page has the info for Delhi: http://www.delhi.gov.in/wps/wcm/conn...riving+Licence
The list doesn't mention flight tickets. Here in Bangalore you to produce the flight tickets too.

Last edited by msdivy : 3rd November 2016 at 13:47.
Old 3rd November 2016, 14:33   #411
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, It is valid. You should have a credit card in your name too, to rent a car.
Choose Fast, Hertz or one of the other car rental chains in the UAE.
PS: Weather's good.
Old 3rd November 2016, 20:26   #412
BHPian

Hi All,

I have previously been to New Jersey and had a very strange scenario where Enterprise allowed me to rent a car for the first time and when I went back to them a month later, they declined, stating that they would need an IDP. Since that was only a business trip, I was able to manage without it as well.

But now, I will be moving there on a long-term basis (read 1 year), so would it be advisable to get an IDP or can I keep using my Indian driving license?
Old 3rd November 2016, 21:19   #413
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HorsPwr View Post
Hi All,

I have previously been to New Jersey and had a very strange scenario where Enterprise allowed me to rent a car for the first time and when I went back to them a month later, they declined, stating that they would need an IDP. Since that was only a business trip, I was able to manage without it as well.

But now, I will be moving there on a long-term basis (read 1 year), so would it be advisable to get an IDP or can I keep using my Indian driving license?
Please visit DMV of NJ to know the details as it differs from State to State. In any case, you can't use an IDP or IDL for more than 180 days. Since, you are going to be staying in US for almost a year at a stretch, I presume that you would be visiting on a work visa and not on B1/B2, and hence, you can very well apply for a Driving Licence.
Gokrish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2016, 21:25   #414
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I have previously been to New Jersey
Check these links ->
aah78 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2016, 22:00   #415
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gokrish View Post
Since, you are going to be staying in US for almost a year at a stretch, I presume that you would be visiting on a work visa and not on B1/B2, and hence, you can very well apply for a Driving Licence.
That is correct, but I was exploring this avenue since I won't be able to get an NJ DL overnight and was looking at the option of using an IDP while I get my NJ DL done. Do you suggest I rather not get an IDP and try to secure an NJ DL at once?

Last edited by HorsPwr : 3rd November 2016 at 22:01.
Old 4th November 2016, 06:59   #416
BHPian

Quote:
That is correct, but I was exploring this avenue since I won't be able to get an NJ DL overnight and was looking at the option of using an IDP while I get my NJ DL done. Do you suggest I rather not get an IDP and try to secure an NJ DL at once?
Since the DMV site of NJ (posted by aah78) says that you needed an IDP, better to get one if you plan to drive from day one of your stay in NJ. You may visit the DMV office in your area to know further details and they are really helpful. And I hope not you visit NY as then, you may have to visit DMV site of that State too. But, driving in NYC is just like driving in India. But regulated Chaos!
Old 6th November 2016, 20:40   #417

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaaz View Post
It's only the Permit. No Country can issue a International Driving License.
Hi

Can anyone help me with agents who can get me an IDP from Kormangla RTO Bangalore. My DL was issued from the same RTO 5 years ago.
Old 6th November 2016, 21:10   #418
Distinguished - BHPian

I drove in Germany last month without an IDP.

Rented the car through HERTZ & no problems any place whatsoever. I also drove at the Nurburgring where i rented a car for the racetrack from a local rental at the Nurburgring & they too did not ask for my IDP.

So i believe in Germany our regular Indian License (Smart Card) is acceptable

Here's the related thread of my experience;

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ell-debut.html

Last edited by karan561 : 6th November 2016 at 21:12.
karan561 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2016, 09:25   #419
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanveer_2558 View Post
AFAIK, Its not, Although i am not 100% sure on this, Since the last i spoke to car rentals in UAE they completely denied giving any car on rental on a Indian driving licence.

Any more information on this from anyone ?
We do need an IDP for UAE. Got an IDP before going. A bunch of us went on a road trip to the UAE and rented Harleys'. Subsequently rented a Pajero to go around. Even though the taxis are convenient in UAE, they are not cheap. The rental did save us loads of money. Because of the disciplined driving, it is quite easy to drive around with a GPS app on phone.
patron is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2016, 19:30   #420
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shady_lawyer View Post
I've been to srilanka in October and had the same questions.

1) If you have an indian DL then you can get a temporary license in Colombo srilanka . Your rental company should be able to help and you have to goto the motor department in sri lanka personally.

2) if you don't want the above hassle then you've to get an IDL here in india and send a scanned copy to your car rental company in srilanka. They will then get an endorsement done which is an other piece of document which will.let you drive in srilanka.

Strangely the IDL endorsement will cost you double the amount. I didn't have the time in Colombo yo go through the process so I did it the IDL route.

In Bangalore getting IDL is straight forward if you have all documents and takes about a week and fees is about 550/-

Let me know if you have any query.

Most Viewed