Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 2nd December 2016, 17:39   #421
BHPian

Re: The International Driving License (IDL) / International Driving Permit (IDP) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
I drove in Germany last month without an IDP.

So i believe in Germany our regular Indian License (Smart Card) is acceptable ..
]
I have No IDP. Have driven in September this year in Switzerland (relative's car), and a couple of years back in Greece. Hired a car in Greece and the rental agency approved my indian licence. All they require is that it should be in English (not Hindi or other Indian languages).

Last edited by filcord : 2nd December 2016 at 17:41.
filcord is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2016, 13:20   #422
BHPian

Re: The International Driving License (IDL) / International Driving Permit (IDP) Thread

@mainakit87:

No need of any Agents. It's just a Formality and there is no Test. But yes, If you don't want to waste couple of hours, you can approach.

If your work is still pending, PM me If you need more details. I can guide you.

Last edited by jaaz : 15th December 2016 at 13:22.
Old 26th December 2016, 11:47   #423
BHPian

Guys,

A slight off topic question. A colleague of mine is going to U.K for 3 months. He has a smart card DL, recently issued. However, he does not posses a Credit Card.

Is there any possibility of renting a car in the U.K without a credit card? Also, can a car be rented using a credit card issued to, say, a spouse?

Any pointers will be greatly appreciated. Thanks & cheers!
Old 2nd February 2017, 15:57   #424
Senior - BHPian

1-How easy or difficult is it to drive in the UK

2-Can one drive with just an Indian Driving License (not a smart card),not an Intl Driving License

3-Which is the closest big city to Wellesbourne, Warwickshire, with a 4-5 star hotel.Thanks in advance.
Old 2nd February 2017, 17:14   #425
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
1-How easy or difficult is it to drive in the UK
In many ways, very easy compared to India. But having become used to Indian driving, I now find it rather daunting. I suggest that you read (available online) the British Highway Code, and understand that, although no-one maintains the discipline they needed to pass a British driving test, it remains the basis of how people there drive. With that in your head, you'll do fine.

Quote:
2-Can one drive with just an Indian Driving License (not a smart card),not an Intl Driving License
I think you need an IDP, especially if you are going to hire. I get one if I am going there. Others may disagree, or have contrary experience even, but it is easy to get and no harm in having it.
Quote:
3-Which is the closest big city to Wellesbourne, Warwickshire, with a 4-5 star hotel.Thanks in advance.
Born and bred in Warwickshire but moved away in 1967 (yes, I am that old!), so no specific recommendations but just checking Google Maps, as I had not heard of that place...

You are fairly close to Warwick and Leamington. Both will have good hotels for business and tourist visitors. Stratford-upon-Avon, as Shakespeare's birthplace, is an international tourist centre.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2017, 17:41   #426
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
In many ways, very easy compared to India. But having become used to Indian driving, I now find it rather daunting. I suggest that you read (available online) the British Highway Code, and understand that, although no-one maintains the discipline they needed to pass a British driving test, it remains the basis of how people there drive. With that in your head, you'll do fine.

I think you need an IDP, especially if you are going to hire. I get one if I am going there. Others may disagree, or have contrary experience even, but it is easy to get and no harm in having it.

Born and bred in Warwickshire but moved away in 1967 (yes, I am that old!), so no specific recommendations but just checking Google Maps, as I had not heard of that place...

You are fairly close to Warwick and Leamington. Both will have good hotels for business and tourist visitors. Stratford-upon-Avon, as Shakespeare's birthplace, is an international tourist centre.
Many thanks,yes Stratford-Upon-Avon it is,Holiday Inn-Stratford upon Avon looks to be good and shall settle for that.Thanks for the tips on driving,not enough time to apply for an IDL,leaving next week unfortunately,guess will have to depend on Cabs then.
Old 2nd February 2017, 17:59   #427
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Many thanks,yes Stratford-Upon-Avon it is,Holiday Inn-Stratford upon Avon looks to be good and shall settle for that.Thanks for the tips on driving,not enough time to apply for an IDL,leaving next week unfortunately,guess will have to depend on Cabs then.
Possibly the biggest culture-shock thing, and a potentially dangerous misunderstanding, is that, regardless of what the Highway Code says, Brits flash the headlights to indicate, "After you," ie to give way. If you flash your lights and keep on, as you might in India, you will probably hit them! Also, signals, signs and traffic lights should be strictly obeyed. Same applies to pedestrian crossings without signals: if someone is crossing, you stop!

It is strict, and, because I have forgotten all that stuff on a day to day basis, I'm daunted!

You may be able to rent. Many people have posted about renting abroad on Indian licences: just I am not 100% sure of it including UK.

You might ask/search about the UK rental experience in general. You can get some lovely cars, but will not be cheap, and you need a credit card with a decent available balance as "deposit."
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2017, 06:53   #428
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the tips on driving,not enough time to apply for an IDL,leaving next week unfortunately,guess will have to depend on Cabs then.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
You may be able to rent. Many people have posted about renting abroad on Indian licences: just I am not 100% sure of it including UK.
was recently in the U.K. and did rent at the airport on my Indian license without a hassle. Just remember to take a video and pics of any prior damages as returns can be finicky. There is no comprehensive insurance cover and there is a mandatory deductible of I think 1000GBP. Fender scratches are charged flat at a few 100 quid depending on size. This was with Enterprise while other agencies may have different policies.
diyguy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2017, 12:09   #429

I am planning to visit to New Zealand on a self-driving tour latter in the year. I have read the NZL tourism website which says that the Indian Driving Licence is valid there. My issue this. My driving licence is valid but it was issued 15 years back - on a pre-printed card and all other details are hand-written. Is such a document acceptable? People who have used/having such old-fashioned IDLs may please advise.
Old 17th March 2017, 17:52   #430
BHPian

I will be soon be living in three countries for a duration of 3/6 months each for business reasons - Malaysia, Ireland and Germany. I have a really old book type handwritten Indian License in English (Ghaziabad RTO) with a few smudges here and there.

Looking for the following advice:
  1. Is a International Driving Permit mandatory to drive in Malaysia, Ireland and Germany specifically - Kuala Lumpur, Dublin and Frankfurt? Or will the Indian License suffice?
  2. I was thinking of getting my Indian License converted to a card type instead of its present booklet form. Is the effort required for doing the same worth it in terms of the increase in the acceptability quotient in these countries? If I decide to go ahead with the existing book format, could I potentially run into problems?

Look forward to the views from the members. Thanks.

Last edited by Virtualaman : 17th March 2017 at 17:58.
Old 17th March 2017, 17:58   #431
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virtualaman View Post
I was thinking of getting my Indian License converted to a card type instead of its present booklet form. Is the effort required for doing the same worth it in terms of the increase in the acceptability quotient in these countries? If I decide to go ahead with the existing book format, could I potentially run into problems?
DL in booklet may not be an issue with other countries. But at least in KA, RTOs require smart DL (not even card type) for applying for IDP.
Old 17th March 2017, 18:48   #432
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virtualaman View Post
I will be soon be living in three countries for a duration of 3/6 months each for business reasons - Malaysia, Ireland and Germany. I have a really old book type handwritten Indian License in English (Ghaziabad RTO) with a few smudges here and there.

Looking for the following advice:
  1. Is a International Driving Permit mandatory to drive in Malaysia, Ireland and Germany specifically - Kuala Lumpur, Dublin and Frankfurt? Or will the Indian License suffice?
  2. I was thinking of getting my Indian License converted to a card type instead of its present booklet form. Is the effort required for doing the same worth it in terms of the increase in the acceptability quotient in these countries? If I decide to go ahead with the existing book format, could I potentially run into problems?

Look forward to the views from the members. Thanks.
Once you get your work permit or business visa, suggest you concurrently apply for an IDP if booklet type is allowed (unlike in KA) AND immediately get your Ghaziabad license converted to card type.

God forbid if you are in any incident or checkpoint, your smudged handwritten license will guarantee a delay (or worse). Frankly, it is better to be safer than sorry when stuck with a trigger-happy and unsympathetic provincial traffic cop in Germany or Ireland

Last edited by itwasntme : 17th March 2017 at 18:49. Reason: Clarity
Old 17th March 2017, 19:15   #433
BHPian

Info for IDL seekers :

Official IDL is not only issued by RTO's but also by Automobile Associations. In Bangalore the Automobile Association of Southern India issues the IDL at their office over the counter in 10minutes. It is bit expensive as compared to RTO as you need to pay up for a life membership. However the life membership gives you other benefits including free RTO liaison work and easy IDL every time you need one.

I am sure the other similar associations from North,East,West also would be offering similar services.
Old 20th March 2017, 00:00   #434
BHPian

Last year I moved to the UK and almost immediately started driving here. It is amazing how similar the driving experience in the UK is compared to India. It is essentially the same set of rules. What differs though, is – here you pay heed to those rules. You let common sense drive you. You relish the beauty of the laid-back style which characterizes a typical British drive. You are perfectly at ease with letting the other car go even when you have the right of way. It is fascinating how much important eye contact plays here. A tip of the hat, a nod of the head, an open palm, and a warm smile – Can’t imagine them getting exchanged between two strangers on any Indian road.

Having said that, I must clarify. Please do not be under the misguided assumption that no one bends the rules here in the UK. On M40 – an important motorway connecting the south of England to the its North, cars ply routinely at a sedate pace of 85 miles an hour while some adventurous folks are on the north side of 90’s. The official speed limit is 70 there. However, there is a definite rhythm and a laid-back attitude even when you are cruising at 85. Word of caution: Speeding is a serious offence and there is no guarantee that you would not be pulled over and fined heavily with points added your record. So, avoid speeding.

If you can drive well in India, you can drive well here too. It is an identical system. However, you probably should unlearn all the guerrilla tactics you have amassed over the years to prevail on an Indian road. Also, you probably have not heard of a beautiful concept called yield. That is the first thing you should master when you land in England.

Here is a quiz question. There is a roundabout (or a roundtana if you prefer) you are approaching. Who gets to enter the roundabout first? Who has the right of way? The right of way is clockwise. People on your right move first. People on your left wait for you. All that you need to do when you find yourself at a roundabout is to look to your right and seize the day when the way is clear. Once you are in the roundabout, you are the king – or the Queen I must say. Till you exit it, you need not stop for anyone else.

Flashing headlights means exactly the opposite here. It conveys to the other driver that you are giving him or her right of way. Here are a few examples. The car in front of you on an adjacent lane switches on the turn indicator to get into your lane. You are however dangerously close to the other car. You flash your lights and fall back to let the other car into your lane. The street in front of you is a single carriageway. There is a car at the other end. You flash your lights and stop. It means the other car should take the road.

British manners – can’t get enough of it. If you let the car into your lane as I mentioned earlier, the car gets in, and the driver flashes the emergency light twice – his or her token of appreciation for your kind gesture.

In a nutshell, driving in the UK is a stress-free experience for the most part. If that drive takes you to London, all bets are off, and you are probably better off on Hyderabad roads!

Also, you do NOT need an international driver’s permit to drive in the UK. Your Indian license is valid for a period of one year. If you are just visiting, your desi license is good enough. So, do not waste your time, money and energy at the RTA office.
venuvedam is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2017, 01:47   #435
Distinguished - BHPian

That is a great post about driving in England. Almost made me nostalgic!

I suspect there is a better thread for it, where it would get more attention.
Quote:
Originally Posted by venuvedam View Post
In a nutshell, driving in the UK is a stress-free experience for the most part. If that drive takes you to London, all bets are off, and you are probably better off on Hyderabad roads!
London isn't so bad! It requires a little more aggression than elsewhere in the country, and a lot more determination to hold one's ground. It's a good kindergarten for driving in India

Most Viewed