Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 20th October 2017, 22:14   #466
Team-BHP Support

Re: The International Driving License (IDL) / International Driving Permit (IDP) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by nair View Post
I need an International Driving Permit. I am travelling to UAE in December. I am currently working in Mumbai. Problem is my address is in Kerala(both passport and DL). Can I get the IDP issued from Mumbai RTO?
Yes.

As long as the address on the passport and DL is the same, there shouldn't be a problem getting the IDP.

My father has, on two occasions, got an IDP issued from HR26 while his passport/DL is MH12.

Getting this done through the Automobile Association will make it much, much simpler. (read: avoid a visit to the RTO)
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2017, 02:15   #467
BHPian

Re: The International Driving License (IDL) / International Driving Permit (IDP) Thread

Is the IDP issued by WIAA Mumbai accepted in UAE for car rental? Plan to travel later this year or early next year so need some info on this. Has anyone gone through the same route? Would appreciate your inputs. Thanks!
Old 10th November 2017, 10:51   #468
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebluez View Post
Is the IDP issued by WIAA Mumbai accepted in UAE for car rental? Plan to travel later this year or early next year so need some info on this. Has anyone gone through the same route? Would appreciate your inputs. Thanks!
I am also getting IDP for the purpose of renting a car in Dubai when I visit in December.

According to this link -> http://www.dubaifaqs.com/driving-lic...onal-dubai.php, one should be able to rent in UAE using IDP
Old 10th November 2017, 11:11   #469
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Yes.

As long as the address on the passport and DL is the same, there shouldn't be a problem getting the IDP.

My father has, on two occasions, got an IDP issued from HR26 while his passport/DL is MH12.

Getting this done through the Automobile Association will make it much, much simpler. (read: avoid a visit to the RTO)
Just got informed by agent that atleast the DL should have the local address. Now very confused.
Old 11th November 2017, 00:00   #470
Senior - BHPian

Not soo relevant, but still wanted to share here. Since I gave up my Indian license, I always had problems while visiting India, because I did not have a DL valid for India. So I got my IDL made today for my German driving license. Costs 16€ and is valid for 3 years. Took less than 5 minutes at the local office in Stuttgart. German efficiency.

The International Driving License (IDL) / International Driving Permit (IDP) Thread-idl.jpg

Spike
SPIKE ARRESTOR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th December 2017, 12:39   #471
BHPian

Hi Guys,

My DL is issued in Bangalore (KA01) whereas my Passport has my permanent address (WB state). How can I get my IDP?
Old 18th January 2018, 18:23   #472
BHPian

So here's interesting news. The new Parivahan site (Link: https://parivahan.gov.in/sarathiserv...teSelection.do) apparently lets you apply for your IDP online. It also seems if your Aadhar card is connected with your DL you may not be restricted by the Passport - DL place of issue restriction. This seems to be the process:
1. Select your state and you'll land on this page: https://parivahan.gov.in/sarathiserv...iHomePublic.do.

2. From the Apply Online drop down click n Services on Driving License to arrive here: https://parivahan.gov.in/sarathiserv...ServicesDet.do

3. Click on continue if the list of services has Issue of IDP mentined (in case of Rajasthan it does). You're good to make an online application and payment too! Haven't tried to complete the application. I would try this in a month's time once my tickets for this year's holiday are booked.

It also allowed me to submit an online application for change of address on my DL.

Hope this helps.
Old 18th January 2018, 19:31   #473
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annibaddh View Post
1. Select your state and you'll land on this page: https://parivahan.gov.in/sarathiserv...iHomePublic.do.
Unfortunately, this is not available for all the states at this time. Only the states mentioned on the Home page have this facility available. Not sure what could be the criteria though.
Old 27th February 2018, 08:09   #474
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annibaddh View Post
2. From the Apply Online drop down click n Services on Driving License to arrive here: https://parivahan.gov.in/sarathiserv...ServicesDet.do
After reading you post, thought will apply for the IDP online in Bangalore. Entered my license details and the online detail show that my license is expired. I had renewed it in December last year at eCity RTO, Bangalore South. My previous license was issued by Jayanagar RTO.

Now a new headache to solve at RTO.

Regards
Old 28th February 2018, 16:25   #475
BANNED

Using an IDP it is always wise to keep your local license around. I will also have to look since my UK license expires in 2022, and also I have not bothered to change it for the newer photograph version.
Old 28th February 2018, 16:44   #476
Senior - BHPian

Guys, Any particular reason why the IDP is valid only for a year? Is there anyway to get it for an extended period of time? Honestly considering how things went for me at the MH 03 RTO here in Mumbai for the 1st time, It really bug's me to keep doing it every year.
Old 28th February 2018, 18:36   #477
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanveer_2558 View Post
Guys, Any particular reason why the IDP is valid only for a year? Is there anyway to get it for an extended period of time? Honestly considering how things went for me at the MH 03 RTO here in Mumbai for the 1st time, It really bug's me to keep doing it every year.
Quote:
According to the 1949 Convention on Road Traffic, an IDP remains valid for one year from the date of issue, with a grace period of six months. However, according to the Vienna Convention, an IDP remains valid for no more than three years from the date of issue, or until the expiration date of national driving permit, whichever is earlier.
Source
get2bid is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2018, 18:48   #478
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Tanveer,

In Mumbai, you might want to get it done through Western India Automobile association (WIAA), if you so wish (Assuming you have a locally issued license). I believe its much more streamlined and can avoid the hassle of the crowds at RTO.

http://www.wiaaindia.com/international-driving-permit

You will have to take a membership of WIAA, I think the WIAA is an active one and might be worth taking a membership, as there are some reciprocal arrangements with AA of some other countries as well. Could be useful in your travels abroad

Worth getting in touch with them

Best Regards & Drive Safe

Ram
r_nairtvm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2018, 23:00   #479
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
Tanveer,

In Mumbai, you might want to get it done through Western India Automobile association (WIAA), if you so wish (Assuming you have a locally issued license). I believe its much more streamlined and can avoid the hassle of the crowds at RTO.

http://www.wiaaindia.com/international-driving-permit

You will have to take a membership of WIAA, I think the WIAA is an active one and might be worth taking a membership, as there are some reciprocal arrangements with AA of some other countries as well. Could be useful in your travels abroad

Worth getting in touch with them

Best Regards & Drive Safe

Ram
Hey, Thanks for the detailed reply, Yes i know about them, But however even IDP given by them too would be valid only for a year, I am actually in talks with a RTO agent who says they will get me an IDP in 2 days and i will just have to visit the RTO once for 10 minutes, Which seems fair, Ill give this another shot if not will go with WIAA.
Old 1st March 2018, 07:29   #480
BHPian

Quote:
.. IDP in 2 days and i will just have to visit the RTO once for 10 minutes ..
I am not sure how it works there, but last time I got an IDP done in Hyderabad, I visited the RTO for 15 mins only and got the IDP the same day evening. This was before the system was changed to make bookings online.
I just went to the RTO office, filled out the required forms, attached the passport, visa and license copy, paid the required fees and then got a photo captured.
All this took me about 15 mins. Once this was done, I was asked if I would collect the IDP or should they post it. I said that I will come and collect it. They asked me to come back at 3 PM. I went at 3:15 PM to collect it the same day.
No hassles and everything was very easy. I did not talk to any agent nor did I pay a single rupee more than the prescribed fee.
I hope things haven't changed much since then here.

Maybe your last time experience was a one-off experience. It is better to avoid agents in RTO. Might I suggest to give it another shot this time and then if things have not improved, then go ahead with the agent? Just saying. All the best in getting your IDP.

Most Viewed