Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 9th April 2018, 22:54   #496
BHPian

Re: The International Driving License (IDL) / International Driving Permit (IDP) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandrda View Post
After reading you post, thought will apply for the IDP online in Bangalore. Entered my license details and the online detail show that my license is expired. I had renewed it in December last year at eCity RTO, Bangalore South. My previous license was issued by Jayanagar RTO.

Now a new headache to solve at RTO.

Regards
Were you able to resolve this. Solve one, create another is our Govt's motto with problems.
Old 10th April 2018, 07:37   #497
BHPian

Re: The International Driving License (IDL) / International Driving Permit (IDP) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annibaddh View Post
Were you able to resolve this. Solve one, create another is our Govt's motto with problems.
Yes, I was able to resolve the issue without any paper work or fee. I just went to RTO office and enquired regarding the problem. One officer said its just approval problem, go to another officer and he will rectify.

Stood in line for around 30 mins and the officer entered few details from new card and authorised it. So now the license is valid online as well, but the address and photos are from the old license
Old 10th April 2018, 22:32   #498
jpm
BHPian

Applied for an IDP today for my upcoming trip.

Was shocked when i received this.

They have mentioned the country I am visiting under disqualifications. The RTO people insist this is how they issue to all applicants. I couldn't convince them they shouldn't mention anything in the disqualifications section.

I think I paid 1,500 Rs fee only to ensure I cannot drive in the country I am visiting. I dont know what to do now.

Is there any logic to this? Are the RTO people right? Has anybody received a similar IDP and actually used it before?
Attached Thumbnails
The International Driving License (IDL) / International Driving Permit (IDP) Thread-idp.jpg  

Old 11th April 2018, 21:51   #499
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpm View Post
Applied for an IDP today for my upcoming trip.

Was shocked when i received this.

They have mentioned the country I am visiting under disqualifications. The RTO people insist this is how they issue to all applicants. I couldn't convince them they shouldn't mention anything in the disqualifications section.

I think I paid 1,500 Rs fee only to ensure I cannot drive in the country I am visiting. I dont know what to do now.

Is there any logic to this? Are the RTO people right? Has anybody received a similar IDP and actually used it before?
The RTO Tanjavur has goofed up. They have given you the 2nd page of the license - which should be as per Form 6a of Rule 16.4 of MV Act. For example, I give below the link for the form as per RTO Nagaland

http://mvd.nagaland.gov.in/downloads/form6a.pdf

My current IDP issued by RTO Trivandrum is as per the above form with 2nd page left blank.

The second page is left empty - This page is for the use of any foreign Territory that may invlidate the permit in their territory for whatsoever reason it may be.

Go back to them and try to reason it out. Try and meet the RTO and explain - this is case where some one has actually goofed up.

All the Best

Best Regards & Drive Safe

Ram

Last edited by r_nairtvm : 11th April 2018 at 21:53.
r_nairtvm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2018, 09:50   #500
BHPian

Since two years, I've got my IDP issued through AASI Chennai. The staff are friendly, and it takes about 30 minutes after you submit the form with the attached medical certificate.

This year, they are insisting that the Indian Driving License be uploaded in the Parivahan site before they could issue an IDP. So, kindly ensure your DL details appear here - https://parivahan.gov.in/rcdlstatus/?pur_cd=101.

Since they have stopped RTO liaison work, we would have to approach the concerned RTO and get the DL details uploaded. I was told that it's a free service at the RTO and can't be done without visiting the RTO.
naveenmani is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2018, 10:34   #501
Senior - BHPian

Wanted to inquire regarding IDL for Michigan, US.

I may be travelling this August and needed info on what documents are required for this. My DL is already in the process of being renewed at the RTO(20 years) and was wondering if I can do this simultaneously.

I went through the last few pages of this thread and wasn't clear if the IDL is actually required or what documents needs to be submitted if I need to apply for it.
Any inputs on this will be great.
Old 2nd May 2018, 14:48   #502
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
Wanted to inquire regarding IDL for Michigan, US.

I went through the last few pages of this thread and wasn't clear if the IDL is actually required or what documents needs to be submitted if I need to apply for it.
How long are you planning to stay in Michigan, US? If you are planning to stay for more than a year, you will have to apply for a license in US only.

IDL/IDP is valid only for 1 year from the date it is issued. You would need the following documents for applying for IDL/IDP

1. Valid driving Licence held by the applicant and copies thereon.
2. Copies of Passport, Visa ( where applicable) and Air ticket for verification.
3. Fees as prescribed along with user charges.

You can apply only after you get your license
get2bid is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2018, 17:38   #503
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by get2bid View Post
How long are you planning to stay in Michigan, US? If you are planning to stay for more than a year, you will have to apply for a license in US only.

IDL/IDP is valid only for 1 year from the date it is issued. You would need the following documents for applying for IDL/IDP

1. Valid driving Licence held by the applicant and copies thereon.
2. Copies of Passport, Visa ( where applicable) and Air ticket for verification.
3. Fees as prescribed along with user charges.

You can apply only after you get your license
Thank you.
I am there for couple of weeks or 20 days at the most.
I checked at the RTO and he said it is around 2k to get this done.
Old 2nd May 2018, 17:56   #504
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
Thank you.
I am there for couple of weeks or 20 days at the most..
If you are going to stay for 20 days and hold a license which is in English, you do not need IDL/ IDP to drive in Michigan, US.

If your license is not in English, then you need to apply for the IDL/ IDP which is technically a translation of your DL to English.

Please refer to additional information here.
get2bid is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2018, 16:40   #505
BHPian

We would be traveling to Canada next year for about 2 weeks. I believe the best way to see any city/locale is by way of driving around it. I intend to hire a car for atleast 10 days for ease of mobility and so I have a few queries;

1) Read that for less than 90 day visit - valid driver's licence from your own country, state or province is all that is needed.

2) To be at least 16 years old

3) Proper insurance coverage for the vehicle you will drive

4) The original (or exact) copy of the vehicle ownership permit to carry with you while driving

Since we are 4 of us (myself, wife and 2 kids), wanted to know if cars on rent are easily available?
Does my local (Indian) licence hold good as I will be there for 2 weeks max?
How much could be a per day rent and are these agencies trust-worthy to provide good cars?
Do I still need to get a IDP?

I hope to hear from you soon, also would be nice if anyone could highlight the do's and don'ts in a alien land. This is going to be my first ever trial with steering on the left hand side of the car!
Old 18th May 2018, 10:30   #506
BHPian

Does one need to apply for an IDP in the same state or RTO as one’s license is issue from?
Thanks
Old 20th May 2018, 23:43   #507
BHPian

Guys, has anyone applied for IDP online at a Bangalore RTO?
I need to get an IDP for driving in Italy. Haven't received my visa yet, but will mostly get it this week, and will be going on the 1st of June. Went to enquire about this at the Yelahanka RTO and the lady there told me to apply online and then said something about it taking 10 days.
I read here that few people went to the RTO and got it done in a day. So, I'm confused why she said 10 days. Also, is it not possible to NOT apply online and go directly with all the documents?
Old 21st May 2018, 00:15   #508
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohan24 View Post
Guys, has anyone applied for IDP online at a Bangalore RTO?
I need to get an IDP for driving in Italy. Haven't received my visa yet, but will mostly get it this week, and will be going on the 1st of June. Went to enquire about this at the Yelahanka RTO and the lady there told me to apply online and then said something about it taking 10 days.
I read here that few people went to the RTO and got it done in a day. So, I'm confused why she said 10 days. Also, is it not possible to NOT apply online and go directly with all the documents?
Even Jayanagar RTO Office insisted on Online Application and the maximum time limit prescribed is 7 working days. Payment of Fees can be done either Online or at the RTO. You have to upload all the documents and also submit a copy of the same along with the application. The Fees has been increased to Rs. 1,000/-.

Please note that, there is a Medical Form also, to be done. So, it's better you do the Medical a day before you submit all other documents. You can get the IDP, either the same day, If you submit before noon or the next day, depending on how you handle the personnel at the RTO.
jaaz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2018, 00:25   #509
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaaz View Post
Even Jayanagar RTO Office insisted on Online Application and the maximum time limit prescribed is 7 working days. Payment of Fees can be done either Online or at the RTO. You have to upload all the documents and also submit a copy of the same along with the application. The Fees has been increased to Rs. 1,000/-.

Please note that, there is a Medical Form also, to be done. So, it's better you do the Medical a day before you submit all other documents. You can get the IDP, either the same day, If you submit before noon or the next day, depending on how you handle the personnel at the RTO.
Thanks. Damn, I don't think I can wait 7 days.
Will see what can be done after I get the Visa. Otherwise, will have to pray that the high passes of Furka and Gotthard open by the first week of June, so that I don't have to drive thru Italy.

Can anyone throw a light on the requirement of IDP in Italy? Has there been any change in the rules? I'll only be driving through Italy for around 50-60kms.
Old 21st May 2018, 00:40   #510
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohan24 View Post
Thanks. Damn, I don't think I can wait 7 days.
Will see what can be done after I get the Visa. Otherwise, will have to pray that the high passes of Furka and Gotthard open by the first week of June, so that I don't have to drive thru Italy.

Can anyone throw a light on the requirement of IDP in Italy? Has there been any change in the rules? I'll only be driving through Italy for around 50-60kms.
No change sadly. You still need an IDP if you want to drive in Italy.

Not sure if it applies in BLR, but for a few hundered extra, there are certain people who can shorten that turnaroud time to a day.
akshaymahajan is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed