Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th May 2005, 14:58   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Common, aren't we the same guys who blame cops for being corrupt? Here we are, openly encouraging it ;-)
Well don't know about Bangalore but up North, that is the only way you'll every get stuff done at a RTO. Inspectors routinely fail people in driving tests if they don't pay up. Imagine a newbie being asked to reverse the car up on a truck washing ramp!
Old 27th May 2005, 14:59   #17
Team-BHP Support

Amitoj, take your indian licence for now. When you reach there give a driving test after taking 2-3 lessons. Most people from TI who used to go to states used to do this. If they passed the test on first instance the whole process used to get completed within 2-3 days of arrival. An interesting observation though. People who had seldom driven cars in India usually cleared the test on first go, because they did not have much to unlearn and as most cars there are automatic, learning driving is no big deal!
Old 29th May 2005, 01:31   #18
BHPian

Amitoj,

You will have to go to the RTO . I assume you have the Visa and the iternary. You will have to buy an NSC for 1000/- . Now your DL has been issued to you by Punjab - therfore , the Blore RTO will require you to get an Affidavite from the local court - ( which is next to RTO Indiranagar ) . An affidavit could be signed in one day .

OR - approach an agent - keep in mind that for an address chnage - you Will hav to sumit an affidavite. Dont worry - since your Passport has Blore - ( which means the higest authority in India has recognised your Address).

My colleagues - few from Bihar have got it done - All in 2 days. Some have paid more money , osme have got it done without paying much . Remember - you are paying for the agents service - he will identify one guy to take you to the court etc .

An Indian IDL is Valid for only 1 year. the rules have been chenged since 3 years.
Old 29th May 2005, 01:36   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliAtenza
any help for my question???

You could Drive without any problems. Your IDL is valid - Usually - the IDL validity is determined by the ssuing authority . So if you have an IDL - find out how manyyears it is valid.

For your question - Yes - you can dive with the IDL.
Old 29th May 2005, 11:01   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by puthari
You could Drive without any problems. Your IDL is valid - Usually - the IDL validity is determined by the ssuing authority . So if you have an IDL - find out how manyyears it is valid.

For your question - Yes - you can dive with the IDL.
Oh ok...well i dont have an IDL as of yet..they arent too hard to get..i'll get one before i come to india. I just have my California DL which is valid till 2009, so im ok on that front.

Last edited by CaliAtenza : 29th May 2005 at 11:02.
Old 30th May 2005, 12:01   #21
BHPian

Amitoj, I got my IDL from Bangalore (Indiranagar RTO for Rs 500) last year when I visited the US. All u need is ur visa/ticket copies along with the DL.
Damn I've to renew it soon.......
cheers
Raihan
Old 7th July 2005, 07:12   #22
BHPian

International Drivers License

hi..
i was wondering if anyone could tell me if international driving licence from india is valid in u.s.a..i am leaving for my university which is located in some place called 'utica' close to newyork , in about 2 weeks..it takes atleast 2 months to get a licence over there since i would nt be gettin my social security number soon..so can i use this on a temporary basis..

Last edited by aah78 : 9th July 2008 at 20:40. Reason: Thread merged with existing. All IDL / IDP Threads consolidated into one.
Old 7th July 2005, 09:32   #23
Team-BHP Support

Your regular Indian License (on computer card) is valid for driving in USA in most states. Check with your friends in Newyork.
Old 7th July 2005, 09:51   #24
Team-BHP Support

Just checked with a cousin who lived 9 months on B1 in MA and frequently travelled to NY and NJ. He only had regular Indian license. However, this was before 9/11.

You can drive with Indian license for 90 days after entering the country. They don't strictly check for the limit. Still, get your US license before completing 90 days. To be on the safer side take the International driving license.
Old 7th July 2005, 10:01   #25
BHPian

getting the IDL is a very simple affair, esp if you are a member of the WIAA
so i would suggest you go do it, as this will remove any hassles
It's valid for a year, so even if you have some delay in the states, you will have enuff time to clear it up
Old 7th July 2005, 10:08   #26
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimish
nevertheless, its easier for u to get the American driving permit if u already have an IDP and Indian DP....when u appear for the driving test at ur location in US, just inform the instructor that u have a valid IDP and Indian DP.....
I did exactly that 12 years back in New Jersey DMV. The lady at the counter gave me a long look and said "We know how you guys get DL or IDL in India". In other words, it didn't help me even a bit...

When you give your driving test, don't try to show off or even talk about your Indian experience. Take US driving classes from a professional instructor and follow what they say in the driving test, don't try your Indian driving instincts until you get your license. I have seen way too many experienced (Indian) drivers flunking the driving test.
Old 7th July 2005, 11:28   #27
BHPian

The Indian Driving license is valid for six months. Albeit it will good if you can get the International permit. The car rental co's for e.g. Enterprise will usually ask for the International permit!
Have driven with the International permit in the US for almost a year with no issues.
All you need is your flight tickets and the Visa copy to be given to your local RTO office to get the IDP!

Cheers
Old 7th July 2005, 18:32   #28
BHPian

hey..thanks guys..that was really informative..i was planning to buy a (used) car as soon as its possible.can you guys suggest me what car to go for within 3000 -5000 $ range(plan to take a coupe)..

so i think its ok to drive for first month within the campus at least..with the IDL..i have applied for IDL it costed me 1000 Rs..i think i should be getting it in a week..

Last edited by freakrz : 7th July 2005 at 18:34.
Old 7th July 2005, 19:09   #29
Team-BHP Support

driving license...

freakrz:
there are certain states in Amrika where you cannot drive with your Indian License or the International Driving Permit (IDP) so get that checked.
in New York you can drive with your Indian License (no IDP required) while you are required to have an IDP in New Jersey.
in Massachusetts you can even buy your own car on your Indian License, however, you will need to have a NY State License to buy a car here.

for a budget of $3k-5k you have an unlimited choice of cars.

before appearing for your test - make sure you spend a day with a Driving Instructor. there are people around who'll give you a practise lesson for a couple of hours for around $60. it is not required but helps to take a session with them before appearing for your driving test. they'll take you around the route and give you information about the various DMV testers in your location, STOP signs, YIELD signs, etc.

there is a rule here -> once you appear for your driving test for a say NY State License, you have to surrender any other license which you may have - so be careful when you go for your driving test and on being asked, inform the DMV person who is taking your test that you have left your Indian License back in india.

Utica is a small township so you'll be saved long lines at the DMV, etc.
Enterprise does not ask for IDP as per my experience.

ping me if you need any more information.

ad
Old 12th July 2005, 00:03   #30
BHPian

As most have said, your Indian license is valid (but check that since you are going on a studentt visa...I'm sure it is valid to drive in US on a B1 visa)
Also funnily from my experience its opposite what Ajay said above...the car rental company would not be bothered at all with IDP, they require only Indian license and IDP. (this is in NC)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks