Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st May 2009, 15:15   #1
BHPian

Travel guidance to Tirupati, Krishnagiri, Ooty and Mysore

Hello Friends,

I am planning trip to Tirupati, Krishnagiri, Ooty and Mysore between May 24 and May 29. I am flying (against the spirit of tbhp, sorry . Lack of time, else I was thinking of driving from mumbai) to Chennai from Mumbai early morning and reaching Chennai at 7.30AM.
I have prepared the following plan, kindly suggest any improvements:

1) May 24 (Sunday)
- Arriving at Chennai and directly heading to Tirupati hiring a cab. If anyone has good reference of cab driver, please let me know. Hoping to return the same day. Is it possible to get darshan at Tirumala and at Padmavathy temple in single day considering its a sunday ? I will be taking darshan ticket from Siddivinayak (Mumbai). Actually, we had planned to hire a A/c Tavera or Qualis for whole journey starting from Chennai - Tirupati - Krishnagiri - Ooty - Mysore and back to Chennai. But I leanrnt that we need to pay hefty permit tax at Tirupati (Rs. 2700) for SUV's. Hence we thought of hiring a Cab for which the permit is Rs.200. We will be returning to Chennai the same night and stay at relative's place.

2) May 25th (Monday) - Leave by 7.00Am to Krishnagiri on a hired A/c Tavera / Qualis (Again let me know if you have good references). We have to perform some rituals at the our Village temple and planning to leave by 3Pm to Coimbatore. Will be spending night at Relative's place in Coimbatore.

3) May 26th (Tuesday) - Leave by 7.00 Am to Ooty. Now I require help of all you guys. I still havent made my hotel booking. Please suggest some good place to stay for 5 adults. Budget upto Rs.2000 per day. Although I have done research on various places to visit, suggest me good places which I shouldnt miss in and around Ooty. But I wish to visit some wild life sanctury, so please provide some guidance those who have visited.

4) May 27th (Wednesday) - Stay at Ooty.

5) May 28th (Thursday) - Leave to Mysore at 9.00Am. I am very new to this place, please guide as to which places we should visit. The main places I know are Mysore Palace and Bridavan Garden.

6) May 29th (Friday)
- Leave to Chennai. Suggest good route and tips to avoid Bangalore traffic.

7) May 30 (Saturday)
- Fly back to Mumbai and reach home at 2300
Old 1st May 2009, 23:04   #2
BHPian

First and fore most do you really require to go to chennai ? From tirupati you can directly go to Krishnagiri. From there to Mysore. And then to Ooty.
I believe to go to Ooty You need to cross Mysore if you are taking Bangalore route.
Old 2nd May 2009, 08:45   #3
Senior - BHPian

Any specific reasons of going to Chennai. There are APTDC packages for Volvo which cover both Tirumala and Padmavathy temple from Bangalore (departure: 8PM, Arrival: 4PM next day). You can choose to avail that.

From bangalore going to Mysore, ooty will be of less time and cheaper compared to from Chennai.

Abhi
Old 2nd May 2009, 12:24   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akroy View Post
Any specific reasons of going to Chennai. There are APTDC packages for Volvo which cover both Tirumala and Padmavathy temple from Bangalore (departure: 8PM, Arrival: 4PM next day). You can choose to avail that.

From bangalore going to Mysore, ooty will be of less time and cheaper compared to from Chennai.

Abhi
Hello Folks,

I am staying at Mumbai and flying from Mumbai to Chennai. I have already booked tickets for the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arin_12 View Post
First and fore most do you really require to go to chennai ? From tirupati you can directly go to Krishnagiri. From there to Mysore. And then to Ooty.
I believe to go to Ooty You need to cross Mysore if you are taking Bangalore route.
Since I am landing at Chennai early morining on May 24th, I am taking cab right from chennai airport to Tirupati. And will be back to Chennai the same day. Next day onwards I am heading towards Krishnagiri -> Coimbatore -> Ooty -> Mysore and back to Chennai. I am planning to hire a tavera/innova for this longer journey. And I cannot take Tavera/Innova to Tirupati, since the permit is Rs.2700. Hence would be taking cab to tirupati and return chennai the same day. Next day for longer journey, I will be hiring tavera/innova.
Old 2nd May 2009, 13:17   #5
BHPian

As others suggested, it would have been better to have the base at Bangalore, rather than Chennai. But as you still stick to that, I would assume you have reason for that (non-refundable air-tickets, relatives in Chennai) and just give you answers for your questions (marked by [AR]).

Quote:
Originally Posted by viv1984 View Post
Hello Friends,

I am planning trip to Tirupati, Krishnagiri, Ooty and Mysore between May 24 and May 29. I am flying (against the spirit of tbhp, sorry . Lack of time, else I was thinking of driving from mumbai) to Chennai from Mumbai early morning and reaching Chennai at 7.30AM.
I have prepared the following plan, kindly suggest any improvements:

1) May 24 (Sunday) - Arriving at Chennai and directly heading to Tirupati hiring a cab. If anyone has good reference of cab driver, please let me know. Hoping to return the same day. Is it possible to get darshan at Tirumala and at Padmavathy temple in single day considering its a sunday ? I will be taking darshan ticket from Siddivinayak (Mumbai). Actually, we had planned to hire a A/c Tavera or Qualis for whole journey starting from Chennai - Tirupati - Krishnagiri - Ooty - Mysore and back to Chennai. But I leanrnt that we need to pay hefty permit tax at Tirupati (Rs. 2700) for SUV's. Hence we thought of hiring a Cab for which the permit is Rs.200. We will be returning to Chennai the same night and stay at relative's place.

2) May 25th (Monday) - Leave by 7.00Am to Krishnagiri on a hired A/c Tavera / Qualis (Again let me know if you have good references). We have to perform some rituals at the our Village temple and planning to leave by 3Pm to Coimbatore. Will be spending night at Relative's place in Coimbatore.

3) May 26th (Tuesday) - Leave by 7.00 Am to Ooty. Now I require help of all you guys. I still havent made my hotel booking. Please suggest some good place to stay for 5 adults. Budget upto Rs.2000 per day. Although I have done research on various places to visit, suggest me good places which I shouldnt miss in and around Ooty. But I wish to visit some wild life sanctury, so please provide some guidance those who have visited.

[AR] Don't miss the toy train experience, you can do one way (ooty to coonoor) in train and ask driver to bring the car to conoor station, from where you can go for conoor sightseeing.
For wildlife, you can visit Bandipur, on the way to Mysore, check if you want to do a nightstay there.

4) May 27th (Wednesday) - Stay at Ooty.

5) May 28th (Thursday) - Leave to Mysore at 9.00Am. I am very new to this place, please guide as to which places we should visit. The main places I know are Mysore Palace and Bridavan Garden.

[AR] Chamundeswari hills - visit next day early morning. Do not miss Jagmohan Art Gallery. If you have time you may visit Mysore Zoo. On the way to Bangalore/Chennai you can visit Srirangapatnam and Ranganthittu Bird sanctuary (these two places are close to Bridavan Gardens).

6) May 29th (Friday) - Leave to Chennai. Suggest good route and tips to avoid Bangalore traffic.
[AR]Take NICE road which will avoid Bangalore to take you to Hosur Road. However the NICE road junctions are not complete in all the places, so you have to make exit and enter again (search for NICE road thread in route query section). It will be a long day, if you are visiting the aforementioned places on this day.

7) May 30 (Saturday) - Fly back to Mumbai and reach home at 2300
Old 2nd May 2009, 15:09   #6
BHPian

Thanks Arindam for guidance regarding toy train and places in mysore.

Request guys here to suggest good hotels in Ooty. We will be five adults. From internet searches, I could find Hotel Orchid Inn which have rooms to accommodate 4 adults. How is this hotel?? Please suggest some hotels in range of Rs.2000-2500 which can accommodate 5 adults.

Can I get good references of cab drivers from chennai tbhpians. I need a cab for 4 adults to travel to Tirupati from Chennai. And bigger vehicle like Tavera/Qualis for rest of the journey since we will be 5 adults.
Old 2nd May 2009, 17:05   #7
Senior - BHPian

My answers

1) depending on what time you are landing at chennai, a day trip to tirupathi is possible. Many local agencies offer this kind of trip at a fixed price.

the cab for this leg of the journey can be taken straight from a travel agency at the airport - however, it maybe wise to contact them in advance to make sure the cab is available and the price is fixed.

2) Where are you staying in chennai (which area)? If it's ecr-side I can recommend a certain travels cab that we use.

3) & 4) not been to ooty but this link might help: Ooty travel guide - Wikitravel.
You could travel to the bandipur wildlife sanctuary from ooty on way to mysore and go on the safari, hopefully spotting some tigers.

5) A recommended hotel to stay in at mysore is TATA ginger. Stayed there myself last summer and can easily vouch for it. clean, quiet and affordable.
regarding things to do in mysore:
- see the palace in the evenings
- brindavan gardens and fountains (they put on a water show, also in the evenings)
- bird sanctuary: don't remember the name of this place, but extremely beautiful and a nice lake to relax by. (the place is on way to brindavan i think)
- Infosys campus in mysore - worth a visit, but you need contacts to look inside
- Somnath Temple - about an hour or so away from mysore, this temple is now non-functional because of broken idols.
- Himvad Gopalswamy temple: beautiful temple on top of a mountain, scenic and nice to visit. However it is also atleast an hour from mysore.
- Chamundi Hills - beautiful temple!
- also don't forget to eat some bisibelebath!

6) not sure - never travelled on this route by road.

IMO, the trip is packed too tightly and will be very strenous. maybe you should ditch ooty or mysore, or add atleast two days to your trip.

cheers

Last edited by anekho : 2nd May 2009 at 17:15.
Old 2nd May 2009, 18:49   #8
BHPian

Great Suggestion Anekho. Thanks. Please find my query in bold font:

Quote:
Originally Posted by anekho View Post
My answers

1) depending on what time you are landing at chennai, a day trip to tirupathi is possible. Many local agencies offer this kind of trip at a fixed price.

the cab for this leg of the journey can be taken straight from a travel agency at the airport - however, it maybe wise to contact them in advance to make sure the cab is available and the price is fixed.

I got a reference of cab agency on net. He is quoting Rs.2900 for A/c Indica, All Incl and Rs.3650 for next day return. Is this price ok? If you have any other reference, pls let me know.

2) Where are you staying in chennai (which area)? If it's ecr-side I can recommend a certain travels cab that we use.

I will be staying in Thuraipakam or Vadapalani in Chennai. We have relative at both places. Please give me the contact details of the cab agency. I have got a quote of Rs.9/Km for Innova and Rs.7.5/km for Tavera and Rs250/day driver allowance. Is it ok or on higher side?

3) & 4) not been to ooty but this link might help: Ooty travel guide - Wikitravel.
You could travel to the bandipur wildlife sanctuary from ooty on way to mysore and go on the safari, hopefully spotting some tigers.

Oh God!! This would be dream come true. Is this possible? Any idea about the safari time?

5) A recommended hotel to stay in at mysore is TATA ginger. Stayed there myself last summer and can easily vouch for it. clean, quiet and affordable.
regarding things to do in mysore:
- see the palace in the evenings
- brindavan gardens and fountains (they put on a water show, also in the evenings)
- bird sanctuary: don't remember the name of this place, but extremely beautiful and a nice lake to relax by. (the place is on way to brindavan i think)
- Infosys campus in mysore - worth a visit, but you need contacts to look inside
- Somnath Temple - about an hour or so away from mysore, this temple is now non-functional because of broken idols.
- Himvad Gopalswamy temple: beautiful temple on top of a mountain, scenic and nice to visit. However it is also atleast an hour from mysore.
- Chamundi Hills - beautiful temple!
- also don't forget to eat some bisibelebath!

Thanks for good suggestions!!!

6) not sure - never travelled on this route by road.

IMO, the trip is packed too tightly and will be very strenous. maybe you should ditch ooty or mysore, or add atleast two days to your trip.

cheers

Actually, not that packed. But anyways thats amount of leave I could manage to get from my Manager!!!
Had I got 3 more days of leave, I would have come driving from Mumbai!!!
No hassles of bargaining with cabs!!
Anybody out here can throw some light on how much would be the permit tax at Karnataka for chennai tourist vehicle? I hope it would not be a bomb that we pay at Tirupati (Rs.2700)

Folks,
Please suggest some good hotels in Ooty.
Old 2nd May 2009, 19:27   #9
Senior - BHPian

no problem dude!

Quote:
I got a reference of cab agency on net. He is quoting Rs.2900 for A/c Indica, All Incl and Rs.3650 for next day return. Is this price ok? If you have any other reference, pls let me know.
Sounds reasonable to me.

Quote:
I will be staying in Thuraipakam or Vadapalani in Chennai. We have relative at both places. Please give me the contact details of the cab agency. I have got a quote of Rs.9/Km for Innova and Rs.7.5/km for Tavera and Rs250/day driver allowance. Is it ok or on higher side?
PM:ing you the contact numbers (shortly) of the agency we use. He is based in palavakkam on the ECR - he might charge a extra for reaching the places you will be staying. If not ask him to point you in the right direction for a travel agency near your place.

We have used his cabs more or less daily during our trips to chennai, and the cars are clean and usually timely. We have also undertaken some longer trips to tirupati and chidambaram using his agency.

Also not really sure of the current rates, but I think 9 is reasonable for innova. Considering the large distance you will be travelling try to bargain a bit.

Do consider paying the extra for the innova - it'll be worth it for the comfort it offers.

Quote:
Oh God!! This would be dream come true. Is this possible? Any idea about the safari time?
Safari details can be found here: Untitled Document

Though when we were there in july 08, we weren't lucky enough to spot any tigers.

cheers
Old 3rd May 2009, 20:03   #10
BHPian

Hello Folks,

Please help me to decide on good hotels in Ooty and Mysore. Your inputs will be very much appreciated.

Request all tbhpians who have visited these place to suggest some good hotels.

Also let me know the permit tax for visiting KA on tourist vehicle.
Old 4th May 2009, 14:40   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Hello Folks,

Please help me to decide on good hotels in Ooty and Mysore. Your inputs will be very much appreciated.

Request all tbhpians who have visited these place to suggest some good hotels.
Check there is a thread is running in travelogue section by Title by name Accommodation and Rate. That might help you.
Old 5th May 2009, 07:53   #12
BHPian

Arin - I have checked that thread. Did not find much of info on ooty hotels..

I have shortlisted 2 hotels where they have accommodation for 5 adults.
1) Orchid Inn
2) Blue hill International.

Any idea about these hotels? The reviews I found on net were mixed reviews. Good and Bad one's.
Old 15th May 2009, 11:40   #13
BHPian

Hello Folks,

Please suggest some good hotels in Mysore for 5 adults. Ginger hotels are great but they dont accomodate more than 2 person in a room. They are asking us to book 3 rooms. Suggest good hotels near to market, because my family intends to do some silk saree shopping in mysore. Since I will be going to mysore on weekdays, is it necessary to make hotel booking in advance?

Also I need info on route from Krishnagiri to Ooty. From the maps I can find these routes:
1) Dharmapuri - Thoppur - Mettur - Ammapetai - Bhavani - Metupalayam - Ooty
2) Dharmapuri - Salem - Avinashi - Annur - Metupalayam - Ooty

Which of the routes is better? On route 2, we will be mostly on NH47 and I hope the roads will be good. We will leave krishnagiri by 4pm, so when can we expect to reach Ooty? Or as per my original plan, whether it is better to stay at relative's place in Coimbatore for night?

As per my original plan, I have 2 full days at Ooty. Whether one day is enough?

Last edited by viv1984 : 15th May 2009 at 11:55.
Old 15th May 2009, 12:53   #14
Senior - BHPian

Have you tried Hotel Sidharth, Dasprakash etc at Mysore? Considering that you are going during summer vacation no point taking a risk of landing without reservation.

With regard to the route from Krishnagiri its Krishnagiri - Dharmapuri - Thoppur - Ammapettai - Athani - Sathyamangalam - Mettupalayam and from Mettupalayam its better to go via Kotagiri instead of Coonoor.

Last edited by pypkmsrikanth : 15th May 2009 at 12:56.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks