Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th May 2009, 23:43   #16
BHPian

I went for the F1 night race in S'pore last October, and from there we (4 male schoolmates) went to Bangkok and Pattaya. Thailand is waay cheaper than Singapore if you're on a budget, but we really disliked the attitude of almost every single person we met in that country. Not tourist-friendly at all, and racist as heck. They wouldn't rent us a car on our Indian passports, but fawn over the white men who pay in dollars.

In short-- I recommend against Thailand.
Old 5th May 2009, 18:52   #17
Senior - BHPian

ok guys, this is one of the quotes given to me.
please tell me if anyone has been to these hotels, or done any of this.
and whether i have been quoted a right price.

Thailand:
No of Pax : 4 Adults
Dates of travel : 10 - 13 Jun 09 (3 Nights)
No. Of Room : 2 Doubles

Hotel
Bangkok :- Amari Boulevard (Superior)
Pattaya :- A-One Royal Cruise (Superior New Wing)

Package Include :
02 Nights Accommodation + breakfast @ Amari Boulevard , Bangkok
02 Nights Accommodation + breakfast @ A-One Royal Cruise, Pattaya
Half Day Bangkok City & Temple Tour visit compulsory Gems Gallery,
Coral Island by speed boat inclusive lunch at local restaurant at Mainland,
All transfers & tours by SIC and minimum 4pax.
Taxes,

We have sic transfer 3 times per day.

BKK Airport to BKK Hotel 08.00hrs / 12.00hrs / 16.00hrs.
BKK Hotel to Pattaya Hotel 08.30hrs / 12.30hrs / 16.30hrs.
Pattaya Hotel to BKK Airport 08.30hrs / 12.30hrs / 16.30hrs.

Note:-If clients miss transfer they have go to Airport or BKK / Pattaya Hotel by their own arrangement. So we don't responsible any complain from clients.

Malaysia:-
No of Pax : 4 Adults
Dates of travel : 13 - 16 Jun 09 (3 Nights)
No. Of Room : 2 Doubles

Hotel :-
Genting :- Resort Hotel (Deluxe)
Kuala Lumpur :- Dorsett Regency Hotel (Deluxe)

Package Include :
02 Nights Accommodation + breakfast @ Resort Hotel (Deluxe), Genting Highland [13 - 15 Jun]
01 Night Accommodation + breakfast @ Dorsett Regency Hotel (Deluxe), Kuala Lumpur [15 - 16 Jun]
01 SIC Transfer KLIA - GHD - KUL – KLIA
01 SIC Halfday Kuala Lumpur City Tour on 15 Jun 09
01 Genting All Park Entrance Ticket on 14 Jun 09(Exclude Genting Sky Venture, Snow World, Rock Climbing & Flying Coaster)
01 Complimentary cable car ticket (Subject to availability)
01 Complimentary en-route Putrajaya (Subject to flight arrival time)

Note : The above rates quoted are applicable to the nationality/passport holder of India, Pakistan and India sub-continent only.

Remarks:- Genting All Park Theme Park Entrance Ticket must be completed in the same day. Unutilised tickets are non-refundable and non-transferable.

Important Notes :
1) Standard hotel checkin is 1500 hrs & checkout is 1200 hrs. Any early checkin or late checkout is subject to room availability and hotel approval and it is
chargeable
2) There will be 50% of surcharge for services between 2300-0630hrs, which is not include the above costing
3) There will be 50% of surcharge for services between 1700-0630hrs for Genting sector, which is not include the above costing
4) Rates are subject to change with or without prior notice
5) No extrabed for all Genting Highland properties. * Each hotel room is only allowed to accommodate maximum 03 adults, or 02adults & 02children(below 12
y/o).

Other Inclusion:-
Air Fare on Malaysian Airlines
Visa Fee for both places (Thailand + Malaysia)

Cost :- Rs.44000/- per person on twin sharing basis.
Old 5th May 2009, 19:01   #18
Senior - BHPian

Looks pretty good Frank.
I think its well worth it.
Old 5th May 2009, 19:11   #19
BHPian

Looks pretty good...esp the Malaysia bit.

Are you sure there are no problems with Thailand and their protests etc.? Some of our family friends got stuck there a month or so ago when the airport was shut down....
Old 5th May 2009, 19:11   #20
Senior - BHPian

deal look pretty good to me but i think 3 nights is lill less.
Old 5th May 2009, 19:52   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karankapoor View Post
deal look pretty good to me but i think 3 nights is lill less.
Three nights are really MORE than enough for Thailand/Malaysia/Singapore. They're very small places...
Old 5th May 2009, 20:04   #22
Senior - BHPian

these are relatively reliable people. they have done my girlfriend's family holidays.
hence might stick with them.
working out the entire thing. but the passport issue is still unsorted.
still waiting for my sister's passport to come back.
i shall post more deals as and when i get them.
how does one travel from Pattaya to Genting? Any idea?
AND what does this SIC mean?
Old 5th May 2009, 21:17   #23
Senior - BHPian

pattaya to genting can be done via bus or ship/ferry.

SIC means Seat in Coach. basically saying a seat in a bus taking tourists not a private car/van
Old 5th May 2009, 21:27   #24
Senior - BHPian

I love Thailand. The Thai are a wonderful, warm and friendly people. They however insist on their guests being polite, please read up on Thai customs before reaching.

You can safely give Bangkok a miss. Pattaya is OK, particularly if you head out to the Islands (Ko Lorn and it's sister island - I see that Ko Lorn is included as Coral island). Phuket is wonderful. There is a small airport in Pattaya but normally one would drive to Bangkok to catch a flight to KL. There are however direct flights between KL and Phuket.

The Emporium mall is the best shopping in Bangkok. The only thing to really buy in Thailand is their silk, it is simply fantastic. Check out 'Jim Thompson' for all silk items, they are simply the best. The night market in Bangkok is a must visit for those addicted to bargaining for odd knick knacks. There are a few wonderful places to eat in the night market. (Avoid the Indian food there though). If you are guided to a mall called the NBK or something like that (3 letter) - it has great sleaze and pirated stuff, nothing good. I love the Thai food, I always took the waiters' help for ordering and never went wrong. BTW, I am a meat eater and redder the meat, the better.

I stayed in one of the Amari's and they are pretty decent and clean places.

One tip: Do not even consider getting a 'Visa on arrival' at Bangkok airport. You will be faced with serpentine queues and could wait for a few hours there. With a visa in hand, immigration is a matter of minutes.

If your sister's passport does not come in time, I suggest the Indian islands i.e. Andaman & Nicobar and Lakshwadeep. The A & N islands have some of the best coral formations and diving in the world. The water too are fabulous and you will be just across the Andaman Sea from Thailand!

Cheers and have a great trip,

P.S. I look forward to a great travelogue and tips.
Old 5th May 2009, 21:35   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
Thailand:
Half Day Bangkok City & Temple Tour visit compulsory Gems Gallery
Just make sure you are NOT buying anything from here. To know more, just google for Bangkok gem scandal
Old 6th May 2009, 18:10   #26
Senior - BHPian

Ok here is my take

Singapore can be boring and not worth more then 2 days , Same goes to HK.

in South east Asia Thailand is the best bet , No advance planning / booking / travel agent is required you can just buy cheapest available return air ticket to Bangkok.

On Arrival you will get Visa for 15 days ( Approx 1500 Bahat / per head ) remember to carry 2 PP photos for Visa application at Bangkok Airport.

Tiger Air runs cheapest flights to Bangkok IMHO.

Here is my idea for a family holiday on a shoe string budget to Thailand.

In Thailand Bangkok is worth just one day ( may be day of Arrival)
Do not take any packaged tours ,

So from Airport head to Khao-San Road , Take a shared shuttle from Airport
there is a counter for that and that costs 100 Bahat per person. At Khao-San road you can get various guest houses in the range of 600 to 1000 Rs a day , They are quite decent and there are lots and lots of them
Lonleyplanet.com can give most current update on which one is cleanest and best.

In bangkok Visit Vat-Poh ( Temple of Reclining Buddha) , Palace Complex ( Emarald Buddha) take a ferry and go to Vat Arun, In the evening go to Siam Plaza and there is one more shopping complex near to that giving full chance to girls to shop. There is a kind of flea market opposit to Siam which girls would love.

Take a Thai Massage at Vat - Poh Temple , This is actual thai massage based on Ayurvedic principles imposted from India and not some hanky panky stuff. Full family can enjoy it at 250 bahat per person.

You can spend 2 days in Bangkok if your family memebers like it.

There are some more interesting things for you but being a family holiday you may like to Avoid ( Asok Sol soi and Nana Plaza)

If you are interested in beacehs go to Pukhet.

Else my suggestion is to go to Kanchanaburi , This is 3 ours by road.
You can hire a Taxi ( Approx 2000 Bahat) or take a bus from Sai-mae-Tai or northern bus stand.

In Kanchanaburi the best budget place is Jolly frog guest house , it is on bank of River Kwai and VFM , There are actually a lots of budget options.

In Kanchanaburi GH can arrange for local sight seeing ( TIgre Temple you can touch and feel live tigers and get photographed) , Erwan National Park.
Death Railway etc.

2 /3 days here are sufficient.

PS : Avoid Pattaya untill sex tourism is what ppl are interested in.

Regards
Amit
Old 7th May 2009, 19:42   #27
Senior - BHPian

thanks guys. the passports have been given for renewal..
we shall leave it to the CID devtas now to do the job :-)
another question:
if abroad doesnt work out: lakshadweep or andaman nicobar?

any other highly EXOTIC locations in india, say, leh ladakh etc?
Old 13th May 2009, 10:58   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
thanks guys. the passports have been given for renewal..
we shall leave it to the CID devtas now to do the job :-)
another question:
if abroad doesnt work out: lakshadweep or andaman nicobar?

any other highly EXOTIC locations in india, say, leh ladakh etc?

Andamans .. Andamans .. Andamans .. Even if you have choice between Andamans and South East Asia Pick Andamans.

Go there for atleast 7 clear days .

Wondoor , Jolly Buoy , Chiriya Tapu , Radhanagar , Rangat , Mud Volcanoes ,Watar Sports Complex so many things to see and totally unspoilt untouched place.

In Port Blair Stay at Horn Bill's nest resport it is run by ANTDCO and you can get individula cottages.

Also Keep Away from packages from resorts such as Sinclair and Pearless not worth it.
Old 13th May 2009, 11:07   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Andamans .. Andamans .. Andamans ..
Funny, I too wanted to suggest the same along with a cruise, but it seems Frank has already made up his mind. I would also suggest Lakshwadeep. Friends say its fabulous. Try that and give us a nice travelogue
Old 13th May 2009, 12:04   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
Funny, I too wanted to suggest the same along with a cruise, but it seems Frank has already made up his mind. I would also suggest Lakshwadeep. Friends say its fabulous. Try that and give us a nice travelogue
Lakshwadeep is not as exotic as Andamans , Lakshdweep is mainly for honeymooners who want to hire an island resort but for all others Andamans is much better.

Marine Biological park in Andamans is way above much hyped Hanama Bay in Hawaii ( My personal openion after visiting both).

If you have around 12 - 15 days Vist to Nicobars is also possible.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks