Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 17th February 2018, 13:25   #196
BHPian

Re: Feedback on different Self Drive rental agencies

Guys! I am looking for a self drive in Kochi for 4 days early next week. Current options are only Zoomcar and some locals. I am not sure if renting a local car will be good. Please advice.
I need 2 cars for approximately 400 Kms. Cars like Jazz, Ecoport, Creta will be good.
TIA
Old 19th February 2018, 17:04   #197
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijay.sundar View Post
From my earlier research with Zoomcar, I was told that only for Andhra Pradesh the entry tax paid will be reimbursed by Zoomcar.
Hi,

Is there any option to pay for a temporary entry permit of less than 7 days? I am planning to drive a self drive vehicle from Hyderabad to Vijayawada and back and my trip is only for 2 days. I was wondering if annual permit is the only option available or is there a short term permit which we can ask for?
Old 21st February 2018, 01:37   #198
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich_heart View Post
Hi all, I am looking for self drive vehicles.I am not particular about the vehicle but looking for one with bench seats for both middle and last rows.
Which provider has such a vehicle? I checked Zoom, Revv, Myles..but there is no explicit indication in this regard.
Zoomcars in fact don't even have customer support help line.

I may go for 2-3 days to a distance of totally around 750kms with 6 adults and 2 kids.
I have booked XUV500 using Avis. Just an update.
Old 21st February 2018, 08:29   #199
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_Bean View Post
Guys! I am looking for a self drive in Kochi for 4 days early next week. ..
Zoom kochi have limited cars & all are KA registered, book well in advance. While the Scorpio I rented was good, the kuv100 was bad. Local players would not be as easy as to deal with as zoomcar & could be costly as well. Check with local rentals if you could find a good deal, if not zoomcar is your backup
Old 21st February 2018, 09:33   #200
Senior - BHPian

Is there any self drive agencies available in Goa preferably near to airport? I am looking for a one day rental (8am to 6 pm).
Old 9th May 2018, 17:48   #201
BHPian

Rented a car from driven.in in Hyderabad. The overall feedback is positive. However, it is no way even close to any of the typical self drive experiences abroad (my experience is only in the USA).

The cost is more competitive than Zoomcar, but they dont have a pickup/drop facility which means if you are landing in the airport, you need a way to get to the pickup location. So felt that Zoomcar is better from this perspective, specially when landing at the airport.
Old 11th May 2018, 08:12   #202
Senior - BHPian

Rented an Innova from MYCHOIZE in Bangalore. Overall experience is positive.

When I rented in April, the rates were a lot cheaper than Zoomcar, approximately half. Seven days and the cost was 23K plus 6K refundable deposit which was returned about 10 to 15 days post returning the vehicle. Unlimited km but fuel is your own. The package was something like 3 normal days, 2 weekend/holiday days and 2 free days. Am guessing that is because they want to grab business.

Uploading the documents was a pain for me because I have a book license, but with a card license it is pretty simple on the app. There are multiple pick-up locations offered, but essentially there is one location in Bangalore where the vehicles are and everything else is pick up and drop off by a driver. If you pick up and drop off at different locations they charge you about 750.

They offer additional accessories that can be rented at 100+GST per day. We took roof rack and child seat. The roof rack was good but the child seat was a waste.

The vehicle itself was pretty good. 2014 model with 160K on the clock. Couple of minor dings and a crack in the windscreen, but no issues at all.

I would suggest people look at this option and assuming the pricing remains, it is a very good deal overall.
Old 20th June 2018, 16:53   #203
BHPian

I require a self-drive Scorpio from Delhi-Uttaranchal-Delhi Trip during the month of October. It will be around 1400Km drive to places like Kausani, Munsiyari, Binsar etc. Duration:7 days.
Really confused with all the options available. this will be my first experience with Self-drive so not very sure what it will be like.
I have mainly travelled by either my Honda City or Innova.
Any help will be really appreciated.
Old 11th July 2018, 12:36   #204
BHPian

Van Rentals for Self Driving

Hi All

I searched for a couple of days in the forum for van rentals for self driving and could not find any and therefore started a new topic

We are a family of 8 adults, 3 kids and 1 infant and are planning a trip to Goa. We can do this in 3 vehicles but of the 8 adults there are only 5 who can drive on highways esp during monsoon weather. We were toying with the idea of renting a van, but after a trip in chicago figured out that why not rent a van for self drive

Is there a service where we can rent a van and drive ourselves - something like a Hilux or similar model.

What are the typical compliance documents, travel documents, permits etc that are required for this

If you know of any such services would be great if you can share the same. Also any similar experiences will be helpful
Old 11th July 2018, 14:25   #205
Senior - BHPian

Re: Van Rentals for Self Driving

Nobody seems to offer Hilux type vans on rent for self drive so you can either rent a van with a driver, or rent a couple of Endeavour/ Fortuner SUVs from Myles / Revv / Zoomcar.
Old 11th July 2018, 15:27   #206
Senior - BHPian

I do not think we have such large people carriers available on self drive rent in India

If I were you, I would go with one 8 seater car rental(One xylo rental) + one sedan/hatch back (Either your own car OR rental)

This way, you can adjust with 5 drivers within 2 cars Plus save on one car fuel.
Old 11th July 2018, 15:45   #207
BHPian

For such a large group of people you would be better off renting out a Force Traveller or Swaraj Mazda and travelling together, if you are not keen on driving. Such large vehicles are not available for self-drive.

You might as well have some fun on the journey as well, travelling in a group.
Old 11th July 2018, 15:56   #208
BHPian

There is a Toyota commuter too that you can hire. It is expensive though and not available for self drive
Old 12th July 2018, 11:41   #209
BHPian

Thanks all. Called around and realized Self Driven Van concept is not yet open in India. Me thinks there might be an interesting market here for business. But it cannot be the Swaraj Mazdas or Tempo Travellers. Has to be customized for sure.

We finalized on taking our own vehicles. 2 Stormes ready to storm through to Goa !!!

Thanks a ton for suggestions
Old 12th July 2018, 13:01   #210
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by subraiyr View Post
Thanks all. Called around and realized Self Driven Van concept is not yet open in India. Me thinks there might be an interesting market here for business.
I do not think this is feasible today because any large size vehicle cannot be driven with the type of driving license that we carry now.

We have only LMV (Light Motor Vehicle) licenses. This is ok only for motorcars, jeeps, taxis, delivery vans.

For vehicles such as Force, TT, etc we should have LMV-NT (Light Motor Vehicle—Non Transport) — for personal use only

OR
LMV-TR (Light Motor Vehicle—Transport) — for commercial transportation including light goods carrier
gkveda is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed