Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th July 2018, 16:46   #211
BHPian

Re: Feedback on different Self Drive rental agencies

Can I rent a high-end luxury car for self-drive in Bangalore?

I am planning a trip to Coorg from Hyd. Because of time constraints, I cannot drive from Hyd to B'lore. Will most probably fly down, or will take the overnight train if my son insists.

I want to take a self drive rental from Bangalore to Coorg and back. Last time I took a rental from Bangalore, the vehicles were a mess. The car had upwards of 1L kms, lots of dents/scratches, the tire had a deep cut, and the interiors were just messy. I can live with the rest, but after seeing the cut in the tire, I resolved that I'll never take a car on rent again.

But since I have no other option (don't want to take a chauffeur and make the entire holiday boring), I am planning to take a high-end car that hopefully won't be that abused. In Hyd, Driven.in offers BMWs and Mercs for rent. Is there something similar in Bangalore? It might get a bit expensive, but peace of mind has a price.

Any other options?
Old 13th July 2018, 16:53   #212
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifu View Post
Can I rent a high-end luxury car for self-drive in Bangalore?
My guess is you took a Zoomcar. Use Myles or Revv. And all 3 vendors offer Merc GLA type high end cars, as well as non luxury but still expensive ones (Endeavor, Fortuner etc).

Pay for a costlier car and you MAY get one that is not abused badly - but many rich kids rent these Mercs just to scream down the highway at extremely high speeds, without knowing how to drive at such speeds.

Myles / Revv are stricter about enforcing speed limits and damages than Zoom is so their cars, while bad, are comparatively less abused.
hserus is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2018, 18:10   #213
BHPian

I guess many of the self rental cars will come with speed limited to 80 km / hour, especially if its a new car. Hence, if you might be able to enjoy the comfort but not the power.
Quatro is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2018, 20:10   #214
BHPian

My experience with Driven (Gachibowli Store) Hyderabad:

19th June 2018: I walk in to the Gachbowli store and request for a PoloGT for 1 day rental. Store employee, walks me to the cellar and shows me the car, which has a huge dent. He said, if I am ok to drive a car with such a huge dent. I said, no and rather opted for a Jeep Compass. [I was still skeptical, why the Polo GT, which had such a huge dent, was still available on rent rather being in a garage getting repaired. Anyways, that was my 1st impression]. And I drove away with the Jeep Compass, thinking let me test-drive this for a day and then decide, which another bike or car, will be my next companion.

20th June 2018: Promptly following all the instructions, I return the car back in as-is condition as taken (FYI, one of the main instruction: You cannot drive above the specified speed limit, irrespective of which car or bike you hire):

Cars:
120kmph to 140kmph = Rs 1000 Fine
>140kmph = Security Deposit will be forfeited

Two-wheelers:
100kmph to 120kmph = Rs 1000 Fine
>120kmph = Security Deposit will be forfeited

I wait for an hour, thinking the employee will come and confirm that the car is fine and I would get some acknowledgment stating the same. And a confirmation stating, when will the security deposit will be credited back to my account. To my surprise, after 40-min of waiting, I had to walk up-to the employee and ask him the same, and he says: there will be no acknowledgment and security amount will be credited back in 3-days (I was surprised, the terms and conditions said 7-days and rather this guy said 3-days. Anyways, I was glad that the time was reduced and moved on.)

23rd June 2018: And obviously, I didn’t get the amount credited back and I called up this employee for a check and he said, it will ideally take 6-days. I believed him yet again and moved on.

27th June 2018: Considering it was already 6-days, I again call back and ask for a confirmation. Now he says, it'll take one or two days more. I understand and move on.

2nd July 2018: Considering it’s more than 10-days now this time I visit the store in-person and request for an update. Now the employee says "I don't know sir, the amount was confirmed to be credited back on 23rd June itself. Not sure what exactly is wrong. You please check with your bank". And I am like, ok - can you least give me some reference number or anything, which says the amount was confirmed to be credited back. And he says, he will sms me, which he never does.

5th July 2018: Considering there was no response from either the store or the Bank, I was left wondering, what documentation do I have which confirms that the amount was initiated for a credit back by Driven? None. Hence, when I wanted to send an email about this to Driven, I didn't find a single email-id on their portal. That's when, I researched on the internet, to get the actual details on who owns this outlet and their emails. And sent an email to all of them. And yes, I did get a response immediately from their management or owner not sure whom, stating we won’t commit any fraud for such small amounts, as we are such a big organization with a garage full of cars/bikes worth millions, which no other store in India offers. And yes they did attach the PreAuth copy of the amount for reference.

My point, was very simple, if there is any deficiency in service (may be, by the store employee, management or the proprietor - customers will do raise concerns). Was this, too much to ask for? As an organization, they still have all the proofs and PreAuth done from the customer, making them sign all documents along with”Credit Card Authorization Letter”, which states the company can charge my credit card, over and above the security deposit, if there is any damage to the car. While, the customer just has one bill and no acknowledgment, if the car was returned in as-is condition or not. And considering, I wasn’t getting any documented reference from the store until that date, I started getting suspicious.

Finally, I got the security amount credited back to my credit limit as on 6th July 2018. Attached are the terms and condition documents from the outlet, if you are planning to rent a bike or a car from them. Hope, my review will help you to read and understand the terms and conditions, and see if you can comply to the rules before taking any vehicle on rent. Until then, please drive/ride carefully and follow the rules.
Attached Images

Attached Files
File Type: pdf RA-10918.pdf (243.7 KB, 2718 views)
File Type: pdf FAQ-10918.pdf (421.1 KB, 206 views)
pankajparikh is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th July 2018, 05:23   #215
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pankajparikh View Post
My experience with Driven (Gachibowli Store) Hyderabad:

Finally, I got the security amount credited back to my credit limit as on 6th July 2018. Attached are the terms and condition documents from the outlet, if you are planning to rent a bike or a car from them. Hope, my review will help you to read and understand the terms and conditions, and see if you can comply to the rules before taking any vehicle on rent. Until then, please drive/ride carefully and follow the rules.
You can read about my experience last year with driven. It was exactly the same except i followed up over the phone as I'm not from hyderabad. I also researched online and sent an email to their management. I also got the same we are sorry reply and the money back within 24 hours. Additionally i was offered a 20% discount on my next booking. When i visited hyderabad last month i planned on taking them up on the 20% discount and emailed them about it. They were prompt in getting back and assuring me that it would be honored. Last year they charged me ₹1000 for airport pick/drop. This time around they had doubled it to ₹2000 and this seemed insane when revv/zoom offers the same for ₹350.i decided against it and went with revv. Was a reasonable experience overall.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 30th August 2018 at 15:20. Reason: trimming quoted post for redability
zombiedriver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2018, 14:51   #216
BHPian

I have booked the service of MyChoize recently at Kolkata and I was promised that I will get new car from their recently procured fleets at Kolkata. In my case I opted for Innova Crysta.
Contact person for Kolkata who allots car: Arun Patra 9073686835 email: arun.patra@orixindia.com
Sounded like a gentleman over phone.

Do note, MyChoize offers option to fit luggage carrier but that is not legal in West Bengal for yellow number plate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quatro View Post
I guess many of the self rental cars will come with speed limited to 80 km / hour, especially if its a new car. Hence, if you might be able to enjoy the comfort but not the power.
Interestingly Zoomcar still allows limit of 125 Kmph while Mychoize is limited to 80kmph. Mentioned in FAQ of both the sites.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 30th August 2018 at 15:19. Reason: merging back to back posts. please use the edit option when replying within 30mins.
Old 25th July 2018, 17:25   #217
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by souvik25 View Post
Interestingly Zoomcar still allows limit of 125 Kmph while Mychoize is limited to 80kmph. Mentioned in FAQ of both the sites.
True. I rented a Honda Jazz from Zoomcar last weekend. It had a speed limit of 120 kmph. Not sure if it was so because it was an older car. Had 81K kms on the odo.
Old 30th August 2018, 14:01   #218
BHPian

Need an SUV / MUV in Oct18 in New Delhi for an Agra trip. Which self-drive service works best in New Delhi ? I see Voler, Mychoize has an Innova Crysta as well as XUV 500 available on the dates. Need suggestions please.
Old 6th September 2018, 12:30   #219
BHPian

Any car rental agency in NCR which offer automatics for rental. AMT will do too.
Old 18th October 2018, 02:25   #220
BHPian

Hi guys I plan to goto Dehradun in 2nd week of Dec. I will be landing in Delhi and spending couple of nights in Delhi before moving to Dehradun and then Jim Corbett/Mussouri in self drive.

Given the cold climate of may be (very wishful) snow neat mussorie? What is the ideal vehicle I should take for self drive. I drive xuv w8 fwd but I can go for another vehicle which is more suitable for the route/road/climate.

Also I wanted toknow if I will be informed by the RTO at every state entry point to pay the tax?
This is my first experience with self drive and hence bit apprehensive.

Also I can see lot of options in terms of service provider voler cars, my choice, zoom, Hertz,etc. Can someone tell me which one is preferred?
Old 15th November 2018, 19:52   #221
BHPian

Hi,

I am bumping this up. More importantly on a self drive car, I wanted to know if RTO charges have to be paid everytime you cross a state border: say Gurgaon to Delhi & then delhi to UP and then UP to UK and again while entering back?

and what exactly is the process to make the payment?

are there instances where they try to fleece extra money?

TIA
Old 10th December 2018, 12:15   #222
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelWake View Post
Hi,

I am bumping this up. More importantly on a self drive car, I wanted to know if RTO charges have to be paid everytime you cross a state border: say Gurgaon to Delhi & then delhi to UP and then UP to UK and again while entering back?

and what exactly is the process to make the payment?

are there instances where they try to fleece extra money?

TIA
I am assuming that you are picking up the rental car from the Airport.
You can pay the tax online or there are small kiosks set at different places where you can pay where you will be charged a small convenience fee.

For paying UP / UK tax you can pay at a kiosk https://www.google.co.in/maps/place/...1!4d77.1482974

or you will find plenty of them on the left side near Lajpat Nagar right after you come down from the Lajpat Nagar flyover while going towards Noida.
Ajitsingh208 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2018, 11:42   #223
BHPian

Hi,

Just updating for other people benefit. I finally used one of the kiosks where one can pay RTO tax online. I did try using my mobile web but somehow Google Chrome wasn't comfortable with the security of the website. Those kiosk charged 50 RS for print out and UK RTO tax was calculated per day. UP road tax was based on different days slots.

If one has car details, they can try updating and getting the thing done themselves through RTO website. I think print out is mandatory.

On feedback of revv, I am not really happy as of now. But I will update the full feedback once I have handed back the car and get my deposit etc.
Old 16th December 2018, 17:39   #224
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelWake View Post
Hi,

Just updating for other people benefit. I finally used one of the kiosks where one can pay RTO tax online. I did try using my mobile web but somehow Google Chrome wasn't comfortable with the security of the website. Those kiosk charged 50 RS for print out and UK RTO tax was calculated per day. UP road tax was based on different days slots.

If one has car details, they can try updating and getting the thing done themselves through RTO website. I think print out is mandatory.

On feedback of revv, I am not really happy as of now. But I will update the full feedback once I have handed back the car and get my deposit etc.

Yes, Revv is greedy, unprofessional, resorts to breach of contract.
I booked 1 month in advance for Ahmedabad and paid full amount. Today, they call me and say vehicle not available.

I see the app and see that KUV 100 (the one I booked) is available for the same days I booked, but with Rs 15k higher than the amount I booked for.

Rates change with Demand and Supply but this is breach of contract out of sheer greediness. Cancelled the booking and following up for refund.

Now, please inform which is a good self drive rental in Ahmedabad?

Travel dates are 27 Dec to Jan 3, 2019 (both inclusive).

Replies appreciated.

Thanks.
manduvindupondu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th April 2019, 11:55   #225
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by souvik25 View Post
I have booked the service of MyChoize recently at Kolkata and I was promised that I will get new car from their recently procured fleets at Kolkata. In my case I opted for Innova Crysta.
Contact person for Kolkata who allots car: Arun Patra 9073686835 email: arun.patra@orixindia.com
Sounded like a gentleman over phone.

Do note, MyChoize offers option to fit luggage carrier but that is not legal in West Bengal for yellow number plate.

Thank you for mentioning the contact number. I had booked a Innova Crysta in Kolkata along with a Luggage carrier. I spoke with the customer care person who felt arrogant in her textbook response. Her response was, "Luggage carrier is subject to availability only. If not available we will issue a refund. I cant help you".

Only after I spoke with Mr Patra did he confirm that luggge carrier is not allowed to be fitted in any vehicles in West Bengal.

If this was a case of non availability due to a State Law and not non-availability due to logistical issue, Mychoize has a responsibility to let the customer know of the same.

Phone call with Mychoize customer care left me with bad taste.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks