Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 22nd May 2009, 11:54   #16
Senior - BHPian

Although doing Any Rajasthan route in the night is not advisable except Jaipur - Ajmer.

You can stick to the Chittaurgarh to Udaipur route still but a strict no no after midnight ( 12 Am ) to 4:30 AM in the morning.

So please plan your trip accordingly.

After Udaipur, doing upto Mumbai is safe for night travelling and then of course right up to Bangalore no problem with night driving.

Also you see, Agra - Jaipur is not part of the GQ.

Doing Delhi - Jaipur in the night is no problem though.
Old 22nd May 2009, 12:19   #17
Senior - BHPian

I hold a little different view though. I have found Rajasthan roads safe at nights and have extensively used all the roads at night. I would not go on Bharatpur (Raj-UP border)-Agra after dark.
Old 23rd May 2009, 12:38   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
I hold a little different view though. I have found Rajasthan roads safe at nights and have extensively used all the roads at night. I would not go on Bharatpur (Raj-UP border)-Agra after dark.

Rajasthan roads are safe and mostly in excellent condition for night driving.
Recently did Delhi - Jaisalmer all night drive in 11.5 hrs and same way drove back.

But, UP road network is risky for night driving.
Old 23rd May 2009, 12:50   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
But, UP road network is risky for night driving.
My experience in Bihar and UP is that it is the cops at night who are the most dangerous - I had to face extortion and other problems with cops at night - and not other anti-social elements. I went a whole night through Bihar and early morning in UP dodging cops who were intent on stopping you and harassing you for not just a few bucks, but lots of it - I had to pay out 1200 to one set of cops in Bihar just for passage,
Old 7th July 2009, 10:16   #20
BHPian

Hey Guys,
Need to find out a short route to B'lore from Delhi. but should be safe to drive in the night.
If possible please update me on the time it will take to reach B'lore and the possible places I could halt for rest.
What would be the total time required to drive down to B'lore and km wise.
Old 7th July 2009, 10:20   #21
Senior - BHPian

Apart from the NH4-NH8 combo via Bombay, the best route is the NH7 route via Hyderabad to Nagpur, then to Delhi via Betul, Bhopal, Biaora, Gwalior, Agra.

Only for aggressive drivers: Day 1 to Nagpur, Day 2 in Delhi
For slower drivers, Adilabad would be an appropriate halt north of Hyderabad, second day being at Bhopal or Gwalior.

Safety not an issue, but would rather not drive nights on the Biaora-Guna-Shivpuri-Gwalior-Morena-Pholpur-Agra route. Roads are good all the way.

Last edited by hvkumar : 7th July 2009 at 10:22.
Old 7th July 2009, 10:47   #22
Senior - BHPian

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post1372353

What would be the FASTEST route to Goa?

The idea is to leave the scenery for Goa itself, and have like a 20-21 hour drive on the first day - something like just beyond Mumbai - some relaxed beach resort. Or some place where monsoon will be magical!

Next day evening rip to goa. ideas?
Old 7th July 2009, 11:18   #23
Senior - BHPian

I don't think you have a better choice than the Delhi-Bombay-Goa route which is the NH8-NH17 combo.

Getting to Bombay on Day 1 itself is a long day's drive, but you can think of staying at Daman, which is 160 kms short of Bombay, that is your first beach option, but honestly, I wouldn't like to do that, not a great beach destination. Best plan would be halt somewhere north of Bombay (say, Vapi) and cross Bombay early the next day and reach Goa by late afternoon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post1372353

What would be the FASTEST route to Goa?

The idea is to leave the scenery for Goa itself, and have like a 20-21 hour drive on the first day - something like just beyond Mumbai - some relaxed beach resort. Or some place where monsoon will be magical!

Next day evening rip to goa. ideas?
Old 30th July 2009, 18:23   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Apart from the Ahra-Jaipur-Bombay route under discussion, I would like to add one more route for your consideration - which I discovered during my recent East-West Drive:

From Agra, take NH2 south via Etawah towards Kanpur. Turn off 25 kms before Kanpur onto NH 25 for Jhansi. This is the East-West corridor. You have a blast of a ride on NH2, but NH25 till Jhansi is being widened, and you have a mixture of road detours and moderately bad roads, but otherwise an enjoyable experience. Real fun starts after Jhansi, from where the 4-laning is complete, but for a few bridge sections. This is one of the most amazing and fastest stretches you will take in India - via Shivpuri, Kota, Chittorgarh to Udaipur. Sample my speeds - NH2-Jhansi (190 kms, 3.30 hrs), Jhansi-Shivpuri Bypass (90 kms, 1.10 mts), Shivpuri BP-Kota (240 kms, 3 hrs), Kota-Chittorgarh (190 kms, 2 hrs), Chittorgarh-Udaipur (120 kms, 1.30 hrs). Places en route - you have Orchcha next to Jhansi, but you must take this route only for the drive. Toll roads not yet functional, so you travel virtually free.
I am planning a drive from Kolkata to Jaipur and back this September. Initially, I was planning to take the Agra-Jaipur NH11 route. After going through your posts, I thought of discovering the east-west corridor on either of the to and fro journey.

I have some relatives staying at Kanpur. If I start from Kanpur at 6AM in the morning, will I be able to reach Udaipur before sundown?

The above distance comes to over 850kms. I would better do 600-650 kms on a single day. Which will be the safest place for a night halt?

I am the only driver and I will be driving my Jan 2009 Aveo 1.4.
Old 30th July 2009, 20:54   #25
Senior - BHPian

I did Kanpur-Udaipur on the Jhansi-Shivpuri-Kota-Chittorgarh route from 6 am to 5 pm, but that was very aggressive driving, non-stop (only refuelling halts, no food or other halts) and constantly at speeds hovering above 120 kmph. ASsuming you drive slower, halt en route for food, etc, I think it would be reasonable to expect arrival at Udaipur by 10 pm.

The roads are outstanding except for the initial stretch of NH27 till Jhansi (half of its is complete).

The road is quite lonely and devoid of traffic. In Rajasthan, near Kota, the road was incomplete (in April) and there may be some deviations that you may have to be careful about.

In case you want to halt somewhere in between, I would recommend Kota.

Petrol stations are few and far between, hence refuel when you are on quarter tank.
Old 5th August 2009, 12:48   #26
BHPian

Quote:

The roads are outstanding except for the initial stretch of NH27 till Jhansi (half of its is complete).

The road is quite lonely and devoid of traffic. In Rajasthan, near Kota, the road was incomplete (in April) and there may be some deviations that you may have to be careful about.

In case you want to halt somewhere in between, I would recommend Kota.

Petrol stations are few and far between, hence refuel when you are on quarter tank.
How is the road till Jhansi? Is it half complete with diversions or full of potholes?

There is a RTDC Hotel at Kota. I think, it will be a good option to halt for the night there as I don't prefer driving after sundown.

I have gone through your GQ logs and found them very useful. If you share the East-West corridor logs, it will be of great help for planning and finding out Petrol Pumps.
Old 5th August 2009, 13:37   #27
Senior - BHPian

When I drove on that road in Apr 09, the first 100 kms from Pukharayan/Bhognipur crossing (where you turn off NH2 into NH25) were still under construction, and there were several detours where culverts were being constructed, but for most part the road condition was good. From the town of Aat onwards (balance 80 kms to Jhansi), the double-road work was complete in many places and I think it must be fully commissioned by now.

There is no bypass for any of the towns, including Jhansi.

RTDC hotels are generally good.

H V Kumar - Driving Log Books - KUMAR'S DRIVING LOG BOOKSNorth East India, Bhutan & East-West Drive Apr 2009

Here is the link to the East-West Drive log book, you can trace the Kanpur-Jhansi-Kota-Udaipur on Day 19 (Row Nos 1396 onwards).

Please note that after Jhansi, petrol stations are very few and far between, so I advise you to take on fuel at Jhansi so that you can run all the way to KOta without further refuelling. I have also indicated the locations of petrol pumps in the Shivpuri-Kota route, as "PP" in the log book.
Old 6th August 2009, 16:56   #28
BHPian

I need one more information. How is the road between Kota and Jaipur (NH 12) ? If I run out of time, I might take this shorter route instead of the Udaipur-Ajmer-Jaipur GQ route.
Old 2nd October 2009, 11:34   #29
BHPian

Quote:
When I drove on that road in Apr 09, the first 100 kms from Pukharayan/Bhognipur crossing (where you turn off NH2 into NH25) were still under construction, and there were several detours where culverts were being constructed, but for most part the road condition was good. From the town of Aat onwards (balance 80 kms to Jhansi), the double-road work was complete in many places and I think it must be fully commissioned by now.
The NH25 from Bhognipur crossing till Jhansi is terrible. Forget about commissioning, for most of this Stretch from Jhansi to Orai, I did not notice a single labour working on the sites. Though "Work in Progress" boards were placed, it seemed that work is in distress for most of these sections.

From Orai to NH2, work was being carried out.

From Jhansi to Chhitorgarh, roads are commissioned and superfast.

My timings,

Udaipur-upto Kota BP (starting point): 3 hours. [Kota BP is under construction]
Kota-Jhansi : 3.5 hours
Jhansi- Kanpur BP on NH2 : 4.75 hours.

I took night halts at Kota and Jhansi.

At Kota, RTDC Hotel Chambal was good.

At Jhansi, UPTDC Hotel was not great, but decent enough to put up for a night.
Old 16th July 2010, 22:28   #30
BHPian

Bhopal - Delhi ?

Folks,

What would be the fastest route to Delhi from Bhopal. I am okay with a longer but faster route but not a shorter but slower route!

I am on my way from Bangalore to Delhi and currently in Bhopal. I have had enough of sightseeing and now want to reach Delhi by the fastest route.

Thanks a lot in advance!

Most Viewed