Team-BHP - Tips on driving in Germany
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Route / Travel Queries (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/)
-   -   Tips on driving in Germany (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/59868-tips-driving-germany-4.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by MoonShot (Post 5629587)
1) License Book: I have a book license (License book and not a card) - It has Roman letters but looks very "third world". Would that cause any problems while renting a car?
2) The online vs. at the airport: We land in Frankfurt at 8 PM and if we are unable to find a ride, it would be a panic situation at hand.
2.a) Would you advise booking online?
2.b) If yes, any website where one can get a good deal.
2.c) If no, given that this is the October fest season, any risk you see?
3) Car company: There are many rental car companies. The price difference between them is mindblowing. Any car company that is most cost-effective?
4) Beware: Anything to watch out for while renting cars in Germany? (Hidden costs etc)

Thank you for your guidance.

With my limited experience I can share that :
In online process of long term rentals , you select the car , price and duration; but the process of collecting car will be in one of the center where :
Your booking might change based on availability of models.
The Insurances component(additional) will be explained and prices will be discussed.
Documents will be verified.
Basic rules of renting/driving will be explained
The vehicle will be examined and documented

So, you can keep exploring option in various apps like :
Sixt, Miles, Sharenow, Europacar , Hertz, etc
and visit one of the center and confirm the choice.

There is car Rental comparision site like https://mietwagen.check24.de/ to get the best deal !

Quote:

Originally Posted by MoonShot (Post 5629587)

1) License Book: I have a book license (License book and not a card) - It has Roman letters but looks very "third world". Would that cause any problems while renting a car?

As long as it’s in English, you are good to go. I have travelled to Europe on many occasions and have booked my rental only through Sixt. They have really amazing new cars, but I have different experiences with their offices at different airports for accepting licenses. Like in Paris, they accepted my Saudi DL(it was 90% arabic), in Rome they didn’t accept Saudi DL but Dubai DL (60% arabic), in Frankfurt they didn’t accept both Saudi and Dubai DL and I was surprised when they accepted Indian DL (all English) there, only when I was going to another rental counter at the airport for another booking which would accept my any of the above licenses. Since I have 3 DL’s I have never bothered to take IDP ever.

Quote:

2) The online vs. at the airport: We land in Frankfurt at 8 PM and if we are unable to find a ride, it would be a panic situation at hand.
2.a) Would you advise booking online?
2.b) If yes, any website where one can get a good deal.
2.c) If no, given that this is the October fest season, any risk you see?
Preferably Book online in advance (Indian thought process). At times I have booked through Rentalcars.com with free cancellation but then later have changed to Sixt from their website. Since they have the tie-up with my organisation for some discount offers. I don’t think there’s any issue if you don’t want to book online, all major European airports have number of rental cars outlet right at the exit, you can choose one as per your choice, options are unlimited and you can get a much better deal while being there and jumping from one rental outlet to other. Just keep an eye on the insurance, that can be a deal breaker.

Quote:

3) Car company: There are many rental car companies. The price difference between them is mindblowing. Any car company that is most cost-effective?
Sixt for me has been the best choice to select the cars from their stable. They have upgraded me on all occasions without being asked or a penny more.

Quote:

4) Beware: Anything to watch out for while renting cars in Germany? (Hidden costs etc)
Insurance, most important thing and clean the car a bit before handing it back, else there’s a minimal euro charge for that.

Cheers

Thank you Shamegz and NomadSK for your responses. They were immensely helpful and gave me the confidence to take a self-drive approach in Germany.

Happy to convey that I was able to successfully complete the journey and hope to write a detailed travelogue in the next few days.

In case someone goes through this thread at a later point in time, penning down some of my experiences here for quick reference.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shamegz (Post 5631015)
There is car Rental comparision site like https://mietwagen.check24.de/ to get the best deal !

This website was super helpful and gave good insights into the prices on offer.

Quote:

Originally Posted by NomadSK (Post 5631046)
As long as it’s in English, you are good to go. I have travelled to Europe on many occasions and have booked my rental only through Sixt. They have really amazing new cars, but I have different experiences with their offices at different airports for accepting licenses. Like in Paris, they accepted my Saudi DL(it was 90% arabic), in Rome they didn’t accept Saudi DL but Dubai DL (60% arabic), in Frankfurt they didn’t accept both Saudi and Dubai DL and I was surprised when they accepted Indian DL (all English) there, only when I was going to another rental counter at the airport for another booking which would accept my any of the above licenses. Since I have 3 DL’s I have never bothered to take IDP ever.

Insurance, most important thing and clean the car a bit before handing it back, else there’s a minimal euro charge for that.

The input on using any license with English helped. No one batted an eyelid as I showed them my book license. Also, the idea of cleaning the car a bit was a very good one. The car before me had to pay some money - while I spent 5 minutes cleaning the car which helped me breeze through the return process.

Penning down my experience for posterity:

Driving on Autobahn was an amazing experience and I would surely be back in Germany renting a faster car next time.

Thank you once again for your guidance and will get back to this thread with the link to my travelogue when I post it.