Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th June 2009, 15:11   #1

Pune - Sangli - Bijapur - Hampi - Dharwad - Dandeli - Kolhapur - Dapoli - Pune : Route Queries

I covered 1588 kms don this route from May 16-24:

Pune-Islampur-Sangli-Athni-Bijapur
Bijapur-Hampi
Hampi-Hubli (night halt)
Hubli-Dandeli
Dandeli-Kolhapur (night halt)
Kolhapur-Khed-Dapoli
Dapoli-Polladpur-Pune

The roads in Karnataka were by and large motorable, except near the villages on the highways where they were potholed and marked with multiple speed humps.
Avoid the Poladpur-Mahabaleshwar road. Its terrible and once the rains start there won’t be a road left to speak of. More so, since it is all ghats on this route.
If you need any help, message...

Last edited by Technocrat : 5th June 2009 at 15:13. Reason: removed font tags
Old 5th June 2009, 15:17   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohansinha View Post
Avoid the Poladpur-Mahabaleshwar road. Its terrible and once the rains start there won’t be a road left to speak of.
yeah,
Poladpur-Mahabaleshwar ghat road is terrible while up coming.
It is little easier while going down.
Though the road is in bad shape, if you start to enjoy the nature with slow drive, then this ghat is ok.
Old 7th June 2009, 15:12   #3
KVS
BHPian

Dear Mohansinha,

Any specific reason you took the Sangli-Bijapur route compared to Solapur-Bijapur route?

How are the road conditions from Bijapur to Hamphi/Hospet?

How much time it took to reach Hamphi from pune?

Regards

KVS
Old 8th June 2009, 11:45   #4

Bijapur-Hampi road is quite good, although you might not be able to do a constant 100 kmph or so because of the trucks. There are patches which are potholed but these are mostly near the villages or at those points where trucks halt near some dhaba. The road is patchy from Munirabad and pretty bad as you approach Tungabhadra. From Tungabhadra to Hampi the road is narrow but motorable. But watch the speed breakers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KVS View Post
Dear Mohansinha,

Any specific reason you took the Sangli-Bijapur route compared to Solapur-Bijapur route?

How are the road conditions from Bijapur to Hamphi/Hospet?

How much time it took to reach Hamphi from pune?

Regards

KVS
Old 22nd December 2009, 19:17   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohansinha View Post
I covered 1588 kms don this route from May 16-24:
Pune-Islampur-Sangli-Athni-Bijapur
How much time did this stretch take? Is it 2-laned road? Was it well maintained?

I will be driving to Bijapur from Pune, and considering options in lieu of pune-solapur-bijapur route.
Old 5th November 2011, 21:35   #6
Senior - BHPian

re: Pune - Sangli - Bijapur - Hampi - Dharwad - Dandeli - Kolhapur - Dapoli - Pune : Route Queries

Guys, I need to travel to Sangli (Where I have never been before) for a buddy's marriage on Tuesday morning. How are the road conditions once I exit NH4 at Peth ?
At what time do I need start from Pune if I need to be there by 10.30 AM? And considering that I am a sedate driver ?
Old 5th November 2011, 22:07   #7
Senior - BHPian

re: Pune - Sangli - Bijapur - Hampi - Dharwad - Dandeli - Kolhapur - Dapoli - Pune : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
Guys, I need to travel to Sangli (Where I have never been before) for a buddy's marriage on Tuesday morning. How are the road conditions once I exit NH4 at Peth ?
At what time do I need start from Pune if I need to be there by 10.30 AM? And considering that I am a sedate driver ?
I heard last week that the road from Peth Naka towards Sangli had lots of pot holes. 45 kms from Peth Naka to Sangli. You should take 4 hours for the drive from Pune city - add 1 more hour to be doubly sure because toll gates on NH4 can be time-consuming affairs.

Last edited by hvkumar : 5th November 2011 at 22:08.
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2011, 11:09   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
I heard last week that the road from Peth Naka towards Sangli had lots of pot holes. 45 kms from Peth Naka to Sangli. You should take 4 hours for the drive from Pune city - add 1 more hour to be doubly sure because toll gates on NH4 can be time-consuming affairs.
Thanks you sir!

So to target my arrival at 10.30 AM in Sangli, I should start off from Pune atleast at 5 AM. Was planning to take a b'fast or Chai en'route , but looks like I may have to skip it, considering I always try to stick to 100kmph or lower (mostly lower) speed limits.
Old 7th November 2011, 11:30   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks you sir!

So to target my arrival at 10.30 AM in Sangli, I should start off from Pune atleast at 5 AM. Was planning to take a b'fast or Chai en'route , but looks like I may have to skip it, considering I always try to stick to 100kmph or lower (mostly lower) speed limits.
I've done 2 trips to Sangli in the past 4 weeks, so here's the latest.

With a 5 AM start, you can have breakfast at Hotel Pankaj [in Karad] around 7.30 - 7.45 and then proceed to Sangli. After the left turn at Peth Naka, the overall road condition till Sangli is average.

Road till Islampur is decent, and then not so good for a little stretch of maybe 4-5 kms after that. While returning, this patch is even worse on the other side of the road. After this, it's okay till Ashta and then bad all throughout till the toll plaza before Sangli. Look out for large craters as you near Islampur, Ashta & Sangli. Please maintain low speeds as you cross Islampur and Ashta as idiots abound on the road in these areas.

Not sure where in Sangli you want to go, but in general a better option is to turn left immediately after the toll naka a few kms before Sangli. Turn right after this road ends at a T junction, and after about 0.5 kms you will reach an intersection called "College corner" which is almost in the center of the city. This bypass road will help you to avoid the crowded market / municipal corporation area which is the standard approach road to the Sangli.

Happy journey!

Cheers,
Vikram

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 7th November 2011 at 11:32.
comfortablynumb is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2011, 12:25   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
With a 5 AM start, you can have breakfast at Hotel Pankaj [in Karad] around 7.30 - 7.45 and then proceed to Sangli. After the left turn at Peth Naka, the overall road condition till Sangli is average.
Not sure where in Sangli you want to go, but in general a better option is to turn left immediately after the toll naka a few kms before Sangli. Turn right after this road ends at a T junction, and after about 0.5 kms you will reach an intersection called "College corner" which is almost in the center of the city. This bypass road will help you to avoid the crowded market / municipal corporation area which is the standard approach road to the Sangli.

Happy journey!

Cheers,
Vikram
Thanks Vikram, I want to head to the Vishrambaug area of Sangli , which I was relying on my GPS to find for me (after entering the co-ordinates, dont think my destination, a marriage hall, exists as a POI).
How much time, on an average, did it take for you to reach Sangli from Pune once you hit NH4/Bypass ?
Old 7th November 2011, 12:36   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
How much time, on an average, did it take for you to reach Sangli from Pune once you hit NH4/Bypass ?
Exactly 4 hours from Varje Naka - Sangli with a 5 AM start, and 3.5 hours for the return trip with a 4.30 AM start. However, I did not stop anywhere for tea/breakfast on any trip and neither did I exceed 100 kmph any time. It totally depends on how long the lines are at the toll plazas on NH4 and also how much commuter traffic [6 seaters, 2 wheelers, slow moving tempos] you encounter from Peth Naka - Sangli.

EDIT: If you are returning to Pune on the same day, buy return tickets at the toll plaza at Khed Shivapur and the one just before Satara. They are valid for 24 hours and will save you time while coming back as you can then join the left most lane which the locals take.

Cheers,
Vikram

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 7th November 2011 at 12:40.
comfortablynumb is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2011, 13:33   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Vikram, I want to head to the Vishrambaug area of Sangli , which I was relying on my GPS to find for me (after entering the co-ordinates, dont think my destination, a marriage hall, exists as a POI).
Sangli is not so big, so you shouldnt be having any problem going to Vishrambaug. Its a very well known area. Just ask for directions when you enter Sangli and you should be ok.
Old 9th November 2011, 10:47   #13
Senior - BHPian

The road from Peth exit to Sangli is really bad. There are deep potholes and craters everywhere, and to top it all, in some sections, they have dug up the middle of the road to lay a nice thick divider. I mean, shouldnt they repair the road first ? I remarked to my companion that this was surely a recipe for a mishap because there was no indication of ditch and it would darned difficult to spot at night.
And as it turns out, one of my friends who was driving there in twilight the day before couldnt see the large dug up section, and his ANHC got stuck in the dug up ditch and stalled. A scorpio being driven by a local, was tailgating him, and rammed him from behind, causing heavy damage to the boot and breaking his bumper.
To add insult to the injury, they even charge 12 rupees as toll for some reason just before you cross a narrow bridge to enter Sangli.
Old 12th October 2012, 15:43   #14
BHPian

Guys, I'll be travelling from Mumbai to Sangli early next month. Can anybody comment on the road conditions & the best route to Sangli?
Any help will be highly appreciated !!
Regards,
Varun
Old 12th October 2012, 16:15   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by powertrain View Post
Guys, I'll be travelling from Mumbai to Sangli early next month. Can anybody comment on the road conditions & the best route to Sangli?
Any help will be highly appreciated !!
Regards,
Varun
Below is the map from Peth Naka on NH4 till Sangli.

https://maps.google.co.in/maps?saddr...sz=12&t=m&z=12

I dont have a recent update between Peth Naka and Sangli.NH4 is good as usual with heavy traffic at times,but nothing to be bothered about.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks