Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th January 2016, 12:47   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mumbai - Mahabaleshwar : Route Queries

Hello,,

We are going to visit Mahabaleshwar next week, starting from Navi Mumbai (Belapur).

We are 2 couples with a child each.

Need to know what is the best route considering we have kids also so we'll need frequent in between breaks.
Old 9th January 2016, 16:30   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
Hello,,

We are going to visit Mahabaleshwar next week, starting from Navi Mumbai (Belapur).

We are 2 couples with a child each.

Need to know what is the best route considering we have kids also so we'll need frequent in between breaks.
Please see my post # 42 dt 01/12/2015 in this thread itself which gives the detailed route from Mumbai to Mahableshwar. Basically you have two options from Mumbai - via Panvel-NH-17-Poladpur-Mahableshwar or via Pune as per my post. Via Pune would any day be your best bet, and I gather most Mumbai folks take this route now. Do PM me if you need any further details. Have a good trip.
Old 10th January 2016, 02:32   #48
BHPian

Go via Pune. It's the best route. You can take break after end of Mumbai Pune Express way. You may also take stop at Wai. Don't forget to visit Sherbaug (Wai - Panchgani road) and Mapro Garden (Panchgani - Mahabaleshwar Road).

Have fun!
DarkEraser is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2016, 11:53   #49
BHPian

Wadala - Mahabaleshwar

Could someone tell me how much time it would take to go from Wadala, Mumbai to Mahabaleshwar by car assuming an hour for breaks? The route I am planning to take is expressway to Pune and then forward to Mahabs (start at 7 am on a Saturday).

One of my colleague told me that it takes 7 hours with breaks. However, I cannot believe that 280 km would take so much time given that the drive till Pune is on expressway. I am travelling with my parents and hence would not do it in one go if its 7 hours.
Old 3rd March 2016, 12:29   #50
BHPian

Re: Wadala - Mahabaleshwar

Quote:
Originally Posted by manish84 View Post
Could someone tell me how much time it would take to go from Wadala, Mumbai to Mahabaleshwar by car assuming an hour for breaks? The route I am planning to take is expressway to Pune and then forward to Mahabs (start at 7 am on a Saturday).

One of my colleague told me that it takes 7 hours with breaks
Wadala-Kalamboli 60 mins
Kalamboli-Khalapur 30 mins
Khalapur-Lonavala 30 mins (traffic prone due to work)
Lonavala-Expresswayend 30 mins

Thats 2 hr 30 mins to Pune entry point

From Pune it takes me 90 mins to reach Surur (the exit point for NH4)
Surur to Mahabaleshwar takes 60 mins (optimistic)

Thats 2 hr 30 mins.

So the driving time itself is over 5 hours. Add 1 hr of breaks.

If you start at 7, expect to reach Mahabaleshwar by 1.
If you visit Wai Temple and any "tourist spot" on the way, account for it.

6 laning work is in progress on Pune to Satara section of NH4, it will slow you down.

If possible start really early say 5 ish. Take a tea break at Talegoan Food Mall after the tool booth. Then drive straight to Panchgani and have a late breakfast at Mapro Garden.

Last edited by freedom : 3rd March 2016 at 12:33.
Old 8th March 2016, 14:21   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedom View Post
If possible start really early say 5 ish. Take a tea break at Talegoan Food Mall after the tool booth. Then drive straight to Panchgani and have a late breakfast at Mapro Garden.
Thanks for the info. Onward did take 5+ hours for the driving time. Pune-Satara had many diversions due to road construction. Interestingly, the return trip took only 4 hrs 20 mins of drive time. There was a tunnel after Mahabaleshwar which eliminated the ghat section (NH4) I encountered during the onward journey.

I drove my Polo GT TSI and the cruise control worked like a charm on the expressway. Fuel efficiency for the Mahab-Mumbai stretch was 17 kmpl with 4 adults, luggage and full time AC usage during bright noon!
Old 8th March 2016, 18:46   #52
BHPian

Mumbai - Mahabaleshwar : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by manish84 View Post
There was a tunnel after Mahabaleshwar which eliminated the ghat section (NH4) I encountered during the onward journey.

I drove my Polo GT TSI and the cruise control worked like a charm on the expressway. Fuel efficiency for the Mahab-Mumbai stretch was 17 kmpl with 4 adults, luggage and full time AC usage during bright noon!
Good to know the info helped you.
The Khambati ghat is just tunnel when heading north. Heading south, you do need to go via the twisties.

CC is a real boon on express way. If you set it to 80, the FE meter can surprise you. I easily get 20+ in my GT on Pune-Lonavala drive and that includes navigating thru city traffic till I reach Baner where I hit the NH4.
Old 12th July 2016, 14:58   #53
Senior - BHPian

Can anyone update the current condition of the road from mumbai to mahab? Is there still road work going on or its all done?
Old 12th July 2016, 15:47   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli View Post
Can anyone update the current condition of the road from mumbai to mahab? Is there still road work going on or its all done?
The road widening ( 6 laning ) is still going on between Pune-Wai phata-Satara with several diversions. You would need to exit NH4 at Wai phata for Mahabaleshwar. Road conditions as such are good even on diversions as of last week. Widening at Khambatki ghat is 95% over but take care and watch out for minor landslides that might occur anytime in these monsoons. Last week there were minor landslides at multiple points on Khambatki ghat that led to closure of right most lane resulting in traffic snarls. Pune--Satara 6 laning as such will easily take another 12 -15 months to get over. Just when you think the work is about to get over in a couple on months, they would have come up with a flyover or underpass plan at a new place, digging up that area and creating a new diversion. Because of this pattern, since the last one year I am noticing that the work seems to be stuck at 80%. And by the way, as on date, a lot of work is still pending and their pace is hopelessly lethargic, I don't expect it to get completed by this year. Only relief is that the road is good despite all the construction work. When the 6 laning of NH8 running to country's capital New Delhi (from Jaipur) is itself yet to see 100% completion after 7 years, Pune-Satara taking so long about 4.5 years doesn't surprise me these days. Have a safe journey

Last edited by vivek95 : 12th July 2016 at 16:07. Reason: factual error
vivek95 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2016, 10:26   #55
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Need some help for a first-time visit to Wai, Panchgani & Mahabaleshwar.
Plan is to drive via Wai and stay at either Panchgani or Mahabaleshwar.

Looked up some threads here at TBHP and also TripAdvisor, etc and found lots of places of interest and feeling lost now without much idea about them.

Please see this list and suggest the places worth visiting and the order of visiting so that one doesn't have to go round and round
-Dholya Ganapathi temple
-Kashi Vishvehswar temple
-Menawali Ghats
-Dhom Dam
-Sydney Point
-Table Land
-Kate's Point, Needle Hole Point, Elephant Howdah, BalkawadDam(?) - these are nearby to each other ?
-Arthur Seat
-Lake Venna
-Lingmala Falls

Others (from Tripadvisor search, no idea how good these are):
-Parsi Point
-Harrison's Folly
-Bombay Point
-Sherbaug
-Chinaman's waterfalls
-Wilson Point (sunrise point)
-Elphinstone Point
-Mumbai Point (sunset point)
-Connaught Peak
-Marjorie Point
-Gureghar Nature Trail
-Babbington Point
-Helen's Point
-Mahalableshwar temple
-Carnac Point
-Falkland Point

Thanks in advance
Old 5th August 2016, 10:55   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Need some help for a first-time visit to Wai, Panchgani & Mahabaleshwar.
Plan is to drive via Wai and stay at either Panchgani or Mahabaleshwar.
The last time I checked, that is yesterday, the news channels reported that due to heavy rains and landlides all of the tourist "points" in Mahab have been closed until further notice.

Personally I wouldn't venture out anywhere in the rains this year given the dangerous goings on, nature wise, pan India. I dropped my plans for Mahab myself. I don't think it's worth taking the risk. Rest is upto you sir.
Old 5th August 2016, 15:22   #57
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixantz View Post
The last time I checked, that is yesterday, the news channels reported that due to heavy rains and landlides all of the tourist "points" in Mahab have been closed until further notice.
This plan isn't finalised and definitely not this month, maybe after September but still I'd like to have an idea of what places are worth visiting and the order of visits
Old 8th August 2016, 12:09   #58
BANNED

Guys, I am planning for Pune – Mahabaleswar trip on 18th August. This is a plan made some time back before the rains.
What you guys suggest, should I stick to the plan, or move to cancel the bookings? I am worried about the roads and flash flooding. Anyone, recently travelled or planning to travel please update.
Old 8th August 2016, 12:18   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetrolRider View Post
Guys, I am planning for Pune – Mahabaleswar trip on 18th August. This is a plan made some time back before the rains.
What you guys suggest, should I stick to the plan, or move to cancel the bookings? I am worried about the roads and flash flooding. Anyone, recently travelled or planning to travel please update.
Would be better to avoid trip to Mahabaleshwar till monsoon subsides. Sometime in August end when monsoon starts to recede would be a good idea.
Read this article

http://m.timesofindia.com/city/kolha...w/53568077.cms

Apologies, I am unable to edit the earlier reply through this app. I didn't notice the August end date. Would suggest wait for a week more, take a look at forecast and then decide. Better go some time in first week of September...

Last edited by ampere : 8th August 2016 at 12:49. Reason: Back to back posts merged
Shashankjk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2016, 18:34   #60
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedom View Post
From Pune it takes me 90 mins to reach Surur (the exit point for NH4)
I think you are referring to the turn off at Surur for the Wai-Surur road (Marked A on the map).

There is another junction about 4-5 Km later at Joshi Wihir (Marked B on the map) which is for SH 72. Any idea how this road is ? (Both these roads meet inside Wai).
Name:  Wai turn off.png
Views: 2472
Size:  94.7 KB

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks