Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 9th November 2019, 19:55   #76

Re: Mumbai - Mahabaleshwar : Route Queries

There is only one route that climbs up to Mahabaleshwar from Pune side- the one via Wai and Panchgani ascending from the Pasarni Ghat. While its undeniably the safer option, do update us on the condition of the roads!
Old 21st February 2020, 13:51   #77
BHPian

Pune-Raigad-Mahabaleshwar best route

Hi Friends,

I am planning to drive to the mighty Raigad tomorrow early morning (between 5-6 am) with my better half and 2 adventurous kids, in my low slung VW Jetta.

After we have had our stint at Raigad, which would hopefully involve going down the ropeway, we would head to Mahabaleshwar for a night halt.

Then on Sunday we would roam around in Panchgani, fly some kites etc and head back to Pune.

Could I request some assistance in determining the best route from Pune to Raigad, and then on to Mahabs. Timing matters a lot in these cases, as if we reach Raigad too late, it may become too hot to climb. I am currently planning to follow google which is showing me Pune-Tamhini-Nizampur-Pachad-Raigad.

Also please advice on good restaurants on the way and in Raigad, good food and clean loos would be really helpful. Any gotchas that I should be aware of in my current itinerary, please do enlighten me.

Finally, thanks in advance for your lovely advice forum!

Cheers

Last edited by harryputtar : 21st February 2020 at 14:01.
Old 23rd July 2021, 18:24   #78
BHPian

Hi Team, I intend to drive to Panchgani from Pune this Sunday. The booking was made last month and now we are caught up in between these rains & planned holiday schedule. Would it be safe to drive from Pune to Panchgani this Sunday or rather is it safe today?
Engine_Roars is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2021, 19:25   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine_Roars View Post
Hi Team, I intend to drive to Panchgani from Pune this Sunday. The booking was made last month and now we are caught up in between these rains & planned holiday schedule. Would it be safe to drive from Pune to Panchgani this Sunday or rather is it safe today?
Today is out of question. It rained very heavily in Mahabaleshwar.

Looking at the weather these days, better to defer your trip. In such rainy season, you may be hardly able to go out and enjoy the nature. Many (or most) eateries will be closed or not serving quality food.

Long long back, I had one trip to Mahabaleshwar in rainy season. I remember that even the walls of the room as well as the matress was moist.
Rahul Bhalgat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2021, 19:28   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine_Roars View Post
Would advise that you postpone your trip till the rains take a breather. The steep climb itself is not meant to be driven on, during crazy rains.
IamNikhil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2021, 22:54   #81
BHPian

Hello, me along a couple of friends planning to ride to Mahabaleshwar somewhere during the month end/ Sept 1st week.

As of now, the plan is to start somewhere around 6 am from Mumbai. As couple of new riders will be accompanying, so we're considering a time of 6-8 hours to reach comfortably. So around 2ish we will be reaching Mahabaleshwar. No points to be visited, its a men's only trip. Relax for the day and ride back the next day.

Need advice on road condition, weather and a suitable time to start the journey from Mumbai.
Old 15th November 2021, 17:07   #82

Any latest updates on the road post Katraj tunnel towards Mahabaleshwar?

Planning a road trip Mumbai-Pune-Mahabaleshwar in 1st week of Dec.

Mumbai to Pune is the standard tuff on Exp Way with a stop at the HP fuel station and coffee top at Starbucks.

Want to plan the stops for b/f post Pune. Will a few kids and senior citizen in tow, would like to stop somewhere nice early morning post Katraj.

Finally once in Mahabaleshwar if any new sites to see and any new restaurants that have come up?
Intend to stay put in Panchgani this time.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 15th November 2021 at 18:45. Reason: MB > Mahabaleshwar + removing unwanted dots at the end of the sentence.
Road_Monk is offline   Received Infraction
Old 15th November 2021, 19:08   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Monk View Post
Want to plan the stops for b/f post Pune. Will a few kids and senior citizen in tow, would like to stop somewhere nice early morning post Katraj.

Finally once in Mahabaleshwar if any new sites to see and any new restaurants that have come up?
Hey Road_Monk,

I visited Mahabaleshwar & Panchgani recently. Stayed in Panchgani home-stay (AirBnb) so let me share our experience w.r.t your questions:

1) Pune bypass: I drove on a weekday and we were at Pune bypass at 10 am, but luckily, got no traffic (I had mentally prepared for a traffic jam). The road quality isn't always the best, nor is the traffic sense, but thats usual.

2) Crossing Katraj tunnel was a breeze, and the road is fine, but i won't call its super smooth. That said, I had my grandma with me and keeping speeds within 80 kmph was comfortable for her throughout (with some undulations in patches).

3) For our snacks, we stopped at Kailas Bhel which is now on the road towards Satara as well, just after a Shell Petrol Pump and approx 3-4 kms after the Khed Shivapur Toll Plaza. Loved the vada pav, misal pav and we requested custom made tea and they obliged. Washrooms are clean and the space is open & big with easy parking. Sharing a photo and google map link

4) Within Panchgani, we tried a new place called "Meher Cafe". They serve Parsi cuisine. The egg bhurji and Paneer Bhurji was fantastic! As was the tea & coffee. We are vegetarians (Eggitarians tbh) so can't personally talk about their other dishes, but friends like it a lot. Its in a great location with parking as well.

5) Some patches of road between Panchgani & Mahabaleshwar were in bad condition, but other than that, all is fine. Weather was perfect for us and I hope to visit again as we loved our Airbnb stay and the caretakers cooked brilliant food, though the place itself is quite basic, but has great outdoor & views.

Hope this helps!

Cheers!
Attached Thumbnails
Mumbai - Mahabaleshwar : Route Queries-whatsapp-image-20211115-6.48.10-pm.jpeg  

VT-RNS is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th November 2021, 15:24   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Monk View Post

Hi, you may try Shivneri Misal just after Pune. You will not miss it as there are huge hoardings.
Also, in Panchgani you may try Jaffer Bhai’s restaurant. The Biryani here is amazing.
Old 16th November 2021, 17:44   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VT-RNS View Post
I visited Mahabaleshwar & Panchgani recently. Stayed in Panchgani home-stay (AirBnb)!
Could you please share the AirBnB home stay details?
We are also looking to travel in the near future thereabouts, and looking to explore a recommended nice option
JoshMachine is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2021, 20:38   #86
BHPian

Hi, Planning a road trip Mumbai-Pune- Satara-Mahabaleshwar - Tapola next week.

Please let me the should i stick to google maps for directions.

How are the roads condition between Mahabaleshwar - Tapola.

Thanks,
Old 23rd January 2022, 18:32   #87
BHPian

Route Update -
Guys planning to Mahabaleshwar/Panchgani should definitely try below route:
Vadhe Phata (Satara nh48) - Medha - Mahabaleshwar.

Ghat section after Medha till Mahabaleshwar is fantastic with beautiful scenes and almost nil traffic.

One can plan to ascent via the usual Pasarni ghat and descend via Medha or vice-versa. Couple of bridge joints till Medha are under construction but nothing a car/bike can’t take.

I along with few of rider buddies did this yesterday on our bikes.

Our route was
Onwards: Pune - Kolhapur via NH48
Return: Kolhapur-Vadhe phata (Satara)- Medha- Mahabaleshwar- Panchgani- Wai- Pune.
Total distance 555 kms.
abhi_tjet is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2022, 21:25   #88
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi_tjet View Post
Route Update -
Guys planning to Mahabaleshwar/Panchgani should definitely try below route:
Vadhe Phata (Satara nh48) - Medha - Mahabaleshwar.

Ghat section after Medha till Mahabaleshwar is fantastic with beautiful scenes and almost nil traffic.
Looks like this got fixed? Was it recent or its more than a year now. This section was in shambles a couple of years ago with resurfacing work on going.
Old 23rd January 2022, 21:49   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Looks like this got fixed? Was it recent or its more than a year now. This section was in shambles a couple of years ago with resurfacing work on going.
Yes, entire route is concrete now. It was under construction as latest as 3-4 months ago.
It’s tar though once you have climbed up the ghat and close to Mahabaleshwar.
abhi_tjet is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th June 2022, 13:48   #90
BHPian

Read in panchgani news online.
Poladpur - Mahabaleshwar (Ambenali ghat) road (I think SH 139) will be closed for traffic tomorrow (20-June-2022) from 11am to 5pm for repairs. Anyone travelling pls plan accordingly.

Last edited by SSD2122 : 20th June 2022 at 13:52.
SSD2122 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed