Team-BHP - Mumbai - Mahabaleshwar : Route Queries
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Route / Travel Queries (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/)
-   -   Mumbai - Mahabaleshwar : Route Queries (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/5999-mumbai-mahabaleshwar-route-queries.html)

Hey PPl,

am planning a trip to mahabaleshwar during one of these weekends... I understnd that there are 2 options on the route:
1) via NH17
2) via expressway..

Have just begin my RnD n both these roads... am sure you guys must have done the route quite a few times...

suggestions wanted on :

which route...
route pecularities if any
time taken on either of these routes

also.. since i am a little short on time.. would prefer a route wherein I can do some decent speeds ands save on the transit time...

cheers...

Hey Buddy,

Mahabaleshwar via the expressway is the fastest and most peaceful route. It i shassle free and you can touch Panchgani in approx 4 1/2 hours of driving at approx 100km/hr. Also the ghat is very small and not twisty which is a boon for people who get car sick.

Leave at 6.00 is the best time so you can avoid bombay traffic.

Viper

viper. can you elaborate on the route a lil..

Yeah buddy..viper is right..go in for Mahableshwar via Expressway..specially since you wanna burn some rubber..
I went with my family recently to Mahableshwar..while going,the driver took the Normal National Highway route..and while coming back to Bbay,we took via expressway..and man..it's so much better,faster,non-tiring.
Infact,they recently have made a nice by pass from Pune to Panchgani.. which is 2 lane each side..very very nicely built and maintained.
And yeah,even I'll suggest start as early as possible..around 5-5:30am would be idea time to start your engine and be off for the trip.
You'l enjoy the drive throughout to Mahableshwar.
Hope you have a great time,and enjoy your trip to that beautiful hill station.
Suraj

Just go via the expressway. Its 2 lanes in either direction with a divider in between for 90% of the route. Its an awesome drive.

A word of caution though : There is a small 20 - 30 km one way stretch an hour before the wai ghat. Its very tempting to speed and corner hard on this stretch, but the rural folk dont seem to understand the concept of a one way road. Watch out for oncoming traffic!

GTO

go via the expressway .take a left for wai near satara.awesome roads.narrow roads but almost zero traffic.

while returning take the nh17.as the ghat from mahableshwar is downhill u can have fun .after that talke aleft for panvel when u meet the nh17.whichis also great with all those corners.

til satara its one way traffic except on katraj ghat.fo ractual fun ,tak ethe nh17.

I'd gone to mahabaleshwar about 2months back via NH17. The road is good & some sections of ghats are really good & some are pathetic. Reached in 4.5hrs. While coming back took the expressway. If you want to reach fast, take the expressway & if you want to enjoy driving, take the NH17.

hey the best way to go is from the Expressway as i have used tht road a lot of times and its less tiring.

Quote:

Originally Posted by speedsatya
go via the expressway .take a left for wai near satara.awesome roads.narrow roads but almost zero traffic.

while returning take the nh17.as the ghat from mahableshwar is downhill u can have fun .after that talke aleft for panvel when u meet the nh17.whichis also great with all those corners.

til satara its one way traffic except on katraj ghat.fo ractual fun ,tak ethe nh17.

Hi Satya ... a small correction.. its a right turn to Wai while going from Satara...!

I personally prefer the nh17 route...took me 3hours from mahabaleshwar to panvel at night.
But expressway is safer...less tiring.

Drifter

hey bud follow the majority, go via the expressway safe and sound and youll be there by 4/12 hours.the expressway(bmb to poona) can be done within one hour (fifty one minutes my time avrgng 110-120 kmph). The rest is the time taken to get in and out of the city limits. The expressway is not tiresome as the mahad way, non twisty and its the best for people who get car sick. go non stop and take care. have fun as m'bleswar is a great place and a hot favourite of mine. where are you gonna stay there....? just folloe the signs and ull be there .enjoy.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RJK
If you want to reach fast, take the expressway & if you want to enjoy driving, take the NH17.

I second that...

During monsoons, the NH17 .. esp the ghat section is too good... but it can get really difficult due to visibility issues.

Quote:

Originally Posted by moralfibre
Hi Satya ... a small correction.. its a right turn to Wai while going from Satara...!

sorry: but its a right turn when u go towards satara from mumbai.is for vivaid it will be a right turn.

nh17 is for the enthusiast driver..the ghat section is too good to rip on.Had once made a trip from mahabaleshwar to ghatkopar in 3.20 min in my maruti 800 by nh17 road and i was 16 years old that time:)

just came from touch and back drive from there. take the expressway its damn nice 5 hours flat we were there. was planning to touch goa and come back but got too tired, so headed back from there