Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th June 2009, 13:54   #16
BHPian

2 routes to coimbatore from chennai

Help reqd:

i am finding as suggested two routes to chennai to coimbatore , which one is the best?

1.Chennai-Sriperembudur-Vellore-Krishnagiri-Dharmapuri-Toppur-Mettur- Bhavani-Perundurai-Avinashi-Coimbatore

Immediate Help Chennai - CBE - Munnar - Theni -Chennai-chcoim.jpg
i think the above map states this route

NH4 - Porur & Poonamallee (get on to NH4) * NH4 - Hyundai, MMST, Sriperumbudur * NH46 - Bypass Vellore * NH46 - Goes through Ambur, bypass Vaniyambadi * NH46 - Bargur * NH46 - Krishnagiri * NH46 - Krishnagiri (take a left onto NH7) * NH7 - Kaveripatnam * NH7 - Dharmapuri * NH7 - Thoppur * NH7 - Salem * NH7 - Turn right towards Erode (Nandi circle) * NH47 - Kumarapalayam * NH47 - Bypass Erode * NH47 - Avinashi * NH47 - CBE

which is the better?
Old 15th June 2009, 13:58   #17
Senior - BHPian

You dont need to go all the way to Salem and then come to Bhavani, you would spend a lot of time moving through Salem bye pass. Its better to take a right at Thoppur and go to Bhavani straight. Keep in mind that from Bhavani all the way upto Coimbatore 4 laning is happening hence you would have lot of diversions.

Alternatively you could think of the following route which is more peaceful than both the routes you have mentioned.

Chennai - Krishnagiri - Dharmapuri - Thoppur - Ammapettai - Andhiyur - Sathyamangalam - Coimbatore.
Old 19th June 2009, 11:18   #18
BHPian

18 hrs left to departure!
Old 19th June 2009, 12:31   #19
Senior - BHPian

So whats your plan Krish. Do share us the experiences once you are back. Safe Driving and have loads of fun
Old 19th June 2009, 19:46   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pypkmsrikanth View Post
So whats your plan Krish. Do share us the experiences once you are back. Safe Driving and have loads of fun
Hi,

10 hrs to Departure...

1. I am taking my Getz 1.1 as it is new and smooth and not my accent, though it has a boot.
2. Taken shell unleaded full tank and 33 psi in all 4 tyres.
3. Taken tool box, screw driver kits.
4. Taken shampoo for winshield washer
5. Two midsize suitcases and a bag easily fitting into the Getz, my earlier zen would have rejected even one of them.

Plan: Will leave by 5.00 am tomorrow (20th Jun) from Velachery chennai to Coimbatore through Dharmapuri salem or mettur route. If i am not tired and reach coimbatore by 5pm will try to explore near by,

Next Day 21st morning i will leave to Munnar via pollachi, well coming back from munnar will be Theni route to chennai, but if there is a change in plan i may visit thekaddy or ernakulam which is not yet decided.

Even heavy rains there will be a welcome sign for me, i am not able to bare the heat of chennai here.it been years that i have drenched myself in rains forgetting all the office worries that too with family.
Certainly i am taking my camera, and will post a detailed review next saturday.

Thanks
Old 19th June 2009, 19:52   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krish82 View Post
Plan: Will leave by 5.00 am tomorrow (20th Jun) from Velachery chennai to Coimbatore through Dharmapuri salem or mettur route. If i am not tired and reach coimbatore by 5pm will try to explore near by,
Plan little early, say 4am. You can cover good distance with almost nil vehicle till Vellore.
Old 19th June 2009, 19:58   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks
If you start by 5AM you should be able to reach CBE by 3PM driving saner speeds.

Pallikonda motel may not be open for breakfast as my guess is you would reach there by 6:30-7AM, so better plan the breakfast at Hotel Tamilnadu which will be on your left just before the Krishnagiri junction .
Old 22nd June 2009, 08:26   #23
BHPian

All the Best Krish, do keep us posted on the trip details.

Inspired by Krish, I am taking this route to Munnar from Chennai.
Chennai - Krishnagiri - Thoppur - Mettur - Bhavani - Perundurai - Kangeyam - Udumalpet - Munnar.

Can someone give me details for good petrol pumps along the way.
Google didnt help much.
Old 22nd June 2009, 09:43   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky_Balboa View Post
Can someone give me details for good petrol pumps along the way.
Google didnt help much.
I would not be able to give you much details post Perundurai, depending on your car what you could possibly do is tank up at Chennai and then tank up either at Krishnagiri BPCL on the byepass (just off the Jn. where you take a right to Bangalore) or Thoppur BPCL Ghar where you also have the Adyar Ananda Bhavan as well. Alternatively if you think of topping up little later you could take a small detour at Perundurai by continuing to go on NH 47, instead of taking the Kangeyam road, for a few kms and top up at IOCL Swagat which comes on the right.
Old 22nd June 2009, 09:52   #25
BHPian

that was quick, thanks pypkmsrikanth for the info.
I also came to know one at Bhavani, guess this is IOCL outlet.
Old 22nd June 2009, 10:26   #26
Senior - BHPian

The IOCL at Bhavani must be the "Lorry owners association on the left. If so its a good pump as well.
Old 24th June 2009, 21:44   #27
BHPian

Awesome Trip is over

Thanks guys,

My trip is over, i am back, had to cut down the trip due to health conditions (mom), so i just visited munnar for 4 days and 3 nights and i am back to chennai, will update a detailed review in Travelogue section.

Just in short,

GOING
-------
i went to CBE- Coimnbatore while going to munnar
CHN - KRISHNAGIRI - THOPPUR - METTUR - BHAVANI -CBE
amazing roads started chennai @ 5 am and reached CBE by 3 pm with 2 hrs stop @ mettur Dam and plus lunch break,

COMING BACK
--------------
MUNNAR - POOPARA- BODI -- THENI -- DINDIGUL -- THIRUCHY -- VILLIPURAM -- CHENNAI

BODI - THENI - DINDIGUL - THIRUCHY -- pathetic roads, work 4 lane is also going on but after that its super smooth.

started @ 9 am from munnar and reached chennai @ 9 pm, actually by 7 pm but from tambaram to velachery took 2 hrs.will update full details soon.

Thanks
Krish
Old 30th August 2009, 12:32   #28
Senior - BHPian

Dear Highway masters...

I am in 2 minds to undertake a long(by my standards ) road trip. the thing is my train ticket is still in WL 10 after 1.5 months !! and i have 1 week to go

the trip is

chennai to palakkad ( 1 day and night halt )
palakkad to palani ( 1/2 hours for darshan and then return to Chennai )

I can see above the post from Krish82 reg the best route to CBE. I presume an extension of that to Palakkad is ideal ? this then looks like a 5 am to 3pm to Palakkad trip ( since i wont have to stop at Mettur ) - this is very tempting !!

what are your suggestions for the short Palkkad - palani route and the palani - chennai trip ??

thanks
Old 30th August 2009, 12:43   #29
BANNED

chennia..trichi..dindukal..palani will be the best i guess
Old 23rd November 2009, 00:33   #30
Senior - BHPian

Need help folks

Does anyone know the condition of the roads from trichy - dindigul-theni-bodi-munnar???

I'm making a trip next week to Munnar from Chennai and i find the distance considerably less if i take this instead of the dharmapuri - mettur-bhavani-dharapuram-udumalaipet route. I know the conditions till trichy are excellent but im unaware of the situation beyond that.

Can you suggest if anyone of you have travelled this route in the recent past?

Quote:

MUNNAR - POOPARA- BODI -- THENI -- DINDIGUL -- THIRUCHY -- VILLIPURAM -- CHENNAI

BODI - THENI - DINDIGUL - THIRUCHY -- pathetic roads, work 4 lane is also going on but after that its super smooth.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks