Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th June 2009, 15:39   #16
BHPian

Hi Guys,

I am planning to do a longish trip from Mumbai covering Goa and Coorg in second half of August. Basically I will be starting from Pune(Pashan) and plan to go to Goa (either North/South) for 3 days and then start off for Coorg (where I plan to stay for 4 days). I also plan to touch Bangalore enroute to meet some friends. However, I am not able to decide on the route given it will be in August and road conditions.

The Plan:
Pune- Goa
Goa-Coorg
Coorg-Bangalore
Bangalore-Goa
Goa-Mumbai

OR

Pune-Goa
Goa-Bangalore
Bangalore-Coorg
Coorg-Goa
Goa-Mumbai

The route that I know of is:

Pune-Belgaum-Goa (North)
Goa-Belgaum-Harihar-Chitradurga-Hassan-Madikere
Madikere-Mysore-Bangalore
Bangalore-Tumkur-Harihar-Belgaum-Goa

I would like to know if I start from Cancona (South Goa) should I be taking a different route (via Mangalore)? In which case I will have an option of going to Bangalore only on my return trip from Coorg.

Also, any advise on roads during end August will be of great help. I will be doing this in my Aveo and have already done Mumbai-Goa in december.

Thanks
Old 4th July 2009, 21:10   #17
BHPian

Why do u wish to go to Goa twice?

I think Pune-Goa-Coorg-Bangalore-Mumbai seems fairly straightforward.

BTW, the Belgaum route to Goa goes to Ponda which is in South Goa. I mean Belgaum-Khanapur-Molem-Ponda. This is a 130 Km drive of which a small part is highly suspect. If u wish to go to North Goa, then u hv to take a diversion at Nipani or slightly ahead. There are other threads here on t-bph gor this.

From Cancona, take NH17 to Mangalore and then to Sulya-Puttur-Madikeri seems a good option.
Old 5th July 2009, 12:56   #18
Senior - BHPian

I suggest that you avoide Bangalore altogether as it will be round about trip unless you have compulsions to come to Bangalore

From Cancona - Karwar - Ankola - Gokarna Road - Kumta -Honnavar - Murudeshwar -Bhatkal - Byndoor - Kundapur - Udupi - Sulya - Puttur - Madikeri would be the best route for you.

This route would take approx 9 hours non stop. I suggest that you visit the following places on your way.

Karwar Beach (0.5 hor stop)
Gokarna OM Beach (2-3 hours needed extra form NH17)
Murudeshwar (1.5 hour stop)
Maravanthe Beach / Turtle bay resort (0.5 hour stop)
Udupi Krishana Temple (1 hour)

Based on your planned stops you can pace your journey

While returning, I suggest that you come via Sakleshpur - Hassan - Belur - Halebidu - Shravanabelagola - Nelamangala - NH4 back to Mumbai via Chitradurga - Davangere- Haveri - Hubli - Belgaon - Kolhapur - Pune

You can take a day off at Hassan to visit Belur-Halebidu-Shravanabelagola.

From Nelamangala it would take you approx 14 hours to mumbai with couple of short breaks for food/bio break.
Old 6th July 2009, 10:03   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarVegabond View Post
I suggest that you avoide Bangalore altogether as it will be round about trip unless you have compulsions to come to Bangalore

From Cancona - Karwar - Ankola - Gokarna Road - Kumta -Honnavar - Murudeshwar -Bhatkal - Byndoor - Kundapur - Udupi - Sulya - Puttur - Madikeri would be the best route for you.

This route would take approx 9 hours non stop. I suggest that you visit the following places on your way.

Karwar Beach (0.5 hor stop)
Gokarna OM Beach (2-3 hours needed extra form NH17)
Murudeshwar (1.5 hour stop)
Maravanthe Beach / Turtle bay resort (0.5 hour stop)
Udupi Krishana Temple (1 hour)

Based on your planned stops you can pace your journey

While returning, I suggest that you come via Sakleshpur - Hassan - Belur - Halebidu - Shravanabelagola - Nelamangala - NH4 back to Mumbai via Chitradurga - Davangere- Haveri - Hubli - Belgaon - Kolhapur - Pune

You can take a day off at Hassan to visit Belur-Halebidu-Shravanabelagola.

From Nelamangala it would take you approx 14 hours to mumbai with couple of short breaks for food/bio break.
The route suggested by you is the best to travel to Coorg from Cancona.

@Wakefield: You could go to bangalore via Coorg on your return. If you need any help with regards to anything ( food, stay, sightseeing, shopping etc) in Coorg let me know.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks