Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd October 2010, 19:52   #16
Team-BHP Support

I agree that the toll is high (A full thread running on it!). But all said and done, it is really a very-very comfortable option to bypass Bangalore.

And yes Bannerghatta is much-much better now.
Old 4th October 2010, 02:05   #17
BHPian

thanks friends!

one thing i am not understanding here is that why Bangloreans prefer the Hosur road (NH7-NH46-NH4) instead of the straight NH4? Isn't the NH4 road (a part of GQ) better than NH7 and NH46?
Old 4th October 2010, 02:13   #18
Team-BHP Support

NH4 is a part of GQ only till Bangalore and now being extended till Kolar and Mulbagal. After that its a two lane highway only all the way till it hits NH46.

This 2L is highly congested and full of trucks.

NH7/NH46 is ALSO a part of GQ which is fully operational. 4L all the way till Chennai. Hence its worth taking this route.
Old 4th October 2010, 17:08   #19
BHPian

thanks ampere for the clarification! i was under the impression that NH4 fron B'lore to Chennai was part of GQ.
Old 4th October 2010, 19:38   #20
Team-BHP Support

I think it is supposed to be, but its not been implemented. On top of it, after Chitoor, you get all the NH18 truck traffic coming from North AP and proceeding south. That makes it even worse.

As against it, in NH46 you will mostly find an exclusive BLR-MAS traffic pretty much all the way. North bound trucks go via NH7 and south bound either on NH7 or NH4.

Hence NH46 remains almost truck-free and is a beautiful 4L to drive, with proper barricades, bypasses and toll-booths.

Only caveat is that after Krishnagiri, you dont have good family hotels/ tea-coffee/toilet breaks on the way (till Vellore again for which you need to get into the town). But that is a different story.
Old 9th May 2015, 23:11   #21
BHPian

re: Mumbai to Chennai - Directions for Bangalore Bypass

Is it possible to cover Chennai to Mumbai in a single day? Approx distance is 1300 kms
Old 10th May 2015, 05:16   #22
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by couswheels View Post
Is it possible to cover Chennai to Mumbai in a single day? Approx distance is 1300 kms
Yes, it is possible. I have done Bangalore - Vadodara [1,393 km] in 22 hours including breaks for food, fuel and powernap.
  (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2015, 07:48   #23
Senior - BHPian

Mumbai to Chennai -directions for Bangalore Bypass

Quote:

Wouldn't suggest if you are a single driver. Fatigue is a horrible word.Its not only about the distance it's also the traffic you might encounter in the industrial corridors leading up to Pune and then onward to Mumbai.

Last edited by Arjun Reddy : 10th May 2015 at 07:52.
Arjun Reddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2015, 16:50   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
Yes, it is possible. I have done Bangalore - Vadodara [1,393 km] in 22 hours including breaks for food, fuel and powernap.

Ravi sir, Thanks for the response. Am amazed at your continuous driving skill. Many of your long drives were having continuous drive of 20 plus hours, how do you manage ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun Reddy View Post
Wouldn't suggest if you are a single driver. Fatigue is a horrible word. Its not only about the distance it's also the traffic you might encounter in the industrial corridors leading up to Pune and then onward to Mumbai.

Yes Arjun, am a single driver. Have done Mumbai-Chennai once however that was in a Santro with an overnight break at Hubli. It was just a thought to cover in a Duster. Definitely would take fatigue into account if I plan for one day drive.
couswheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2015, 17:11   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, Its very much possible. I have done this 2 times up & down that makes it 4 trips. I start early morning at 4 am from chennai and reach mumbai by around 23:00.

Below is my post on my trip done in Dec '13

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post3579534
karts is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2015, 18:08   #26
J.Ravi

Quote:
Am amazed at your continuous driving skill.
Thanks for the compliments, couswheels.

Quote:
Many of your long drives were having continuous drive of 20 plus hours, how do you manage ?
A well-rested body and mind will ensure reaching the destination safely. I will have adequate sleep/rest before the commencement of the night drive. While driving, if I start yawning continuously, I park the car at a safe place - like toll plaza, petrol pump, hotel/dhaba or lay-by for trucks on the highway - and have power-nap. The power-nap will keep me refreshed for the next 3 to 4 hours! I don't try to avoid sleep by consuming tea/coffee or face-washing.
  (2) Thanks
Old 11th May 2015, 11:02   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Absolutely doable Couswheels.
You really have to plan your departure times to ensure the fatigue doesnt set in. Else, the drive between Pune to Kolhapur can take a toll. Secondly, the traffic that starts to build up just before entry to Chennai ( after the industrial hubs where you see Saint gobain, Hyundai plants ) can also be a dampner.

A 3.00 AM start from Mumbai will take you to Kolhapur by around 9.30-10 am. This should help you get into the NICE road, Bangalore around 5.00 PM. And from there on, if your body and mind still feels fine, you should touch the outskirts of Chennai by 10 pm.

The timings above are something that i have done on my Safari, ( Only - it was Pune-Coimbatore and not Mumbai-Chennai) with minimal breaks and cruising comfortably at 110 KMPH most bits. Not sure if you can believe it but i had done Pune-Bangalore with exactly 2 breaks, each not lasting more than 10 minutes.
jkrishnakj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2015, 11:19   #28

Hi

I did Mumbai - Chennai Twice in 22-23 hours in 2014-15.

Left Mumbai @ 3.30 - 4.00 & reached Chennai 12 - 12.30 am (Swift VXi).

Recently did Mumbai- Chennai-Mumbai in Feb(swift) & Apr (XUV500) but took break in Kolhapur/Hubli(return).

Current Road repair Work between Pune - Kolhapur has lot of diversions & reduce the KMPH. (consumed 8 -10 hrs of travel from Mumbai) based on traffic.

Kolhapur - Belgaum is a breeze & 90 km single lane till Hubli after which the road is 6 lane. I prefer NICE Road, as Toll (Tumkur side) to Toll (Hosur Road) will take 35 - 45 min max & travel through ORR Bangalore consumes anywhere between 120 min - 180 min depend on time we enter ORR Bangalore.

If there are multiple Driving Hands Covering the distance in a day will be easy, otherwise need to take care as road between Bangalore Chennai is completely 6 lane (Hurdles between Hosur exit & entry). Fatigue might lead to drifting, which needs to be taken care with Sufficient Breaks or Multiple drivers...

In Feb & Apr 2015, I left Mumbai (Andheri) in noon & took a break in Sai International, (nr. Kolhapur). Next Day drove till Chennai....

Hope You find this useful.

With regards
Gopal Mani

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 17th May 2015 at 11:37. Reason: Contact number removed. Please do not post your contact details openly - may be misused.
maylsamy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2015, 07:35   #29
BHPian

Re: Mumbai to Chennai - Directions for Bangalore Bypass

Hi.
Any new updates on the route.. Mum-Chennai?
Planning a break/overnight at Bangalore or earlier.
Old 10th July 2015, 08:29   #30
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mumbai to Chennai - Directions for Bangalore Bypass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanmd View Post
Hi.
Any new updates on the route.. Mum-Chennai?
Planning a break/overnight at Bangalore or earlier.
Hi, Please see the enclosed map for taking the Nice Road that by pass the city sand connects you to Electronic city from where you can proceed to Chennai.

Mumbai to Chennai - Directions for Bangalore Bypass-bypass.png
suresh_gs is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks