Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 3rd July 2009, 15:41   #1
BHPian

Bangalore to Germalam

I am planning to go to place called Germalam in TN (~200 KM from Bangalore). The route is blr-kanakpura-malavalli-kollegal-lokanahalli-odeyarpalaya-germalam. Any body tried this route in recent past? How is the road condition? Alternatively, I can take mysore road and reach malavalli via maddur.

Thanks.
Old 6th January 2010, 13:44   #2

germalam

hey cutting crew
Did you finally make this trip. im planning WVF 2 weeks down and hence wanted to know.
Thx much
Feno
Old 5th January 2013, 15:22   #3
BHPian

Re: Bangalore to Germalam

Any feedback on route and wild valley farm resort?
Old 10th January 2013, 12:44   #4
BHPian

We had gone to Germalum sometime in 2008 and it was a pleasant stay. The person who own Wild Valley farm is Daniel (IIRC). A friend of mine had recently been there over the New year's eve and he was beaming all along when I enquired of his trip. Didn't have much time to chat up the details.
Route might not be a very smooth one, but if you intend to stay there for a couple of days, it would be time well spent. Make sure you're not expecting calls frequently, coz I doubt if there's any improvement in the network connectivty (one of the prime reasons of choosing this place ).. You can find more details on wildvalleyfarm dot com, if you need.
AvinashKeezh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2013, 15:19   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindamray View Post
Any feedback on route and wild valley farm resort?
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvinashKeezh View Post
Route might not be a very smooth one, but if you intend to stay there for a couple of days, it would be time well spent.
Make sure you're not expecting calls frequently, coz I doubt if there's any improvement in the network connectivty
(one of the prime reasons of choosing this place )..

At Kollegal take to the left which is the SH to Mettur. 4-5 km further down, you will see, the road fork out. Take the one to the right.
The SH is rough with pot holes at many places. It worsens further as you get into ghats. Once you enter TN, the road improves dramatically.
Please watch out sharp blind turns.

Last edited by ampere : 10th January 2013 at 15:20.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2013, 21:11   #6
BHPian

Thanks Avinash and Ampere.

I have heard good feedback about the place during the years 2005-06. Was not sure if had hold on, or detoriated as I have not seen much change in their website over the years. Avi, your input really helped me lot.

Ampere do you have any guess on the time needed for this 200 odd km?

I was planning for this week-end, but then unavoidable work came up on 12th and 14th - so need to push it.

Abhi, do you think a normal week-end (one night stay) will do justice to the journey?
Old 10th January 2013, 21:33   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Account for about 4 hours to Kollegal which is about 200km itself.
Add another 1 to 1.5 hours for Germalam which is another 60km.

I had been on this section in Nov amidst rains. The location and setting was brilliant. The following two snaps I had posted in non-auto image thread.

Cross linking it here.

Old 10th January 2013, 23:11   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Avinash and Ampere.

I have heard good feedback about the place during the years 2005-06. Was not sure if had hold on, or detoriated as I have not seen much change in their website over the years. Avi, your input really helped me lot.

I was planning for this week-end, but then unavoidable work came up on 12th and 14th - so need to push it.

Abhi, do you think a normal week-end (one night stay) will do justice to the journey?
I would say, for starters try out the weekend outing.. Coz the real fun is in entering the forest with some guides (it can be pretty dangerous as well).
But if you can reach the place by saturday noon for lunch and leave after lunch on sunday; you would just be able to get a glimpse of the place and its beauty.
Post the first trip you can judge for yourself if you wanna spend more time exploring the forest et al.

PS: If you can reach Germalum by Friday, you might have the whole of Saturday at your disposal. You can plan accordingly once you talk to Daniel.
Old 11th January 2013, 07:30   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Account for about 4 hours to Kollegal which is about 200km itself.
Add another 1 to 1.5 hours for Germalam which is another 60km.
Ampere, Isn't Kollegala about 140+ from Bangalore? I regularly do this in just under 2hrs from NICE-Kanakapura Intersection. Am I missing something here?

Prasad
prasad14 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2013, 07:56   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasad14 View Post
Ampere, Isn't Kollegala about 140+ from Bangalore? I regularly do this in just under 2hrs from NICE-Kanakapura Intersection. Am I missing something here?

Prasad
Sorry my mistake Prasad. I intended to write 150 but wrote 200km. Thanks for correcting me. What I meant was to at least account for 3-4 hours.
Because early morning progress is slow.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2013, 12:36   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasad14 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Sorry my mistake Prasad. I intended to write 150 but wrote 200km. Thanks for correcting me. What I meant was to at least account for 3-4 hours.
Because early morning progress is slow.
3 to 4 hours till Kollegal is certainly an overkill, Ampere. I also generally take 2.5 hrs till Chamarajanagar which is another 40 odd kms from there, so I guess 2 hrs to Kollegal would be a much more realistic estimate. And during early mornings you can probably do it in about 10 to 15 minutes less.

On the other hand, the 1 to 1.5 hrs from there to Germalam may be an under estimate. If the road is rough, it would be more like around 2 hours at the very least.
Old 11th January 2013, 12:48   #12
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
3 to 4 hours till Kollegal is certainly an overkill, Ampere. I also generally take 2.5 hrs till Chamarajanagar which is another 40 odd kms from there, so I guess 2 hrs to Kollegal would be a much more realistic estimate. And during early mornings you can probably do it in about 10 to 15 minutes less.
Kala,
I generally put 2.5 hours with more time for Bangalore-Kanakpura thanks to twisties and high beam trucks. And if he plans breaks, we add to it.
I agree 4 hours is high.

Quote:
On the other hand, the 1 to 1.5 hrs from there to Germalam may be an under estimate. If the road is rough, it would be more
like around 2 hours at the very least.
Its about 60km from Kollegal. The initial sections are very good, a bit rough here and there. But its only at KA border on the hills
where the roads some what worse. Once you enter TN, the roads are very good even in the ghats.
One only needs to be careful, as they are narrow.

But still I think he would not need more time 1.5 hours. There is also a monastery at Oderyarpalaya, which one can visit on the way if time permits.
Old 26th August 2013, 16:31   #13
BHPian

Bumping an old thread. Last time could not go.

Trying my luck over the 7th Sep week-end. Let's see.

Can anyone tell me if Wild Valley Farm has attached baths with every tent or is it common bath?
Old 26th August 2013, 17:30   #14
Senior - BHPian

Did the route early this year

Thought the attachment would be useful for some one

Best Regards & Drive Safe

Ram
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Germalam Direction.pdf (115.6 KB, 571 views)
Old 6th April 2015, 13:25   #15
Senior - BHPian

Will be driving to Wild Valley with some friends on the coming weekend. Much appreciate guidance on the safest, well paved road to take.

Most Viewed