Team-BHP - Water Flow at Jogs falls
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Route / Travel Queries (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/)
-   -   Water Flow at Jogs falls (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/61200-water-flow-jogs-falls.html)

Hi,

I am planning a short trip to Jog falls. I had a few query for you.

1. Is there enough water at the falls at thsi time of the year? Is it worth going now or should i wait till end of the end?

2. Any recommendations on good places to stay near Jog Falls.

since the rains have started well there will be enough water
well its a amazing place have been there once , not sure any place to stay

Quote:

Originally Posted by recker_us (Post 1371307)
Hi,

2. Any recommendations on good places to stay near Jog Falls.

I think there is lots of place to stay in SAGAR. I am not sure about JOG Falls. May be some Govt Rest House will be available.

Just till last week, I would have said " Avoid It", but now it's raining heavily in Coastal & Malnad regions of Karnataka. Yep the water flow is great. You can make a trip to Jog now. Heck I may visit Jog / Honnemardu(Backwaters near Talguppa) in coming weekend.Regarding Lodges, Just look out for Hotels at Sagara or some homestays nearby.Also you can stay in Shimoga ( Shimoga - Jog is 100kms). I would suggest Hotel Jewel Rock in Shimoga

I visited Jog Falls the previous weekend and was I surprised. A week back our fellow BHPian ravibhat said that there is no water in Jog, but when I went there it was raining very very heavily (it was so for the previous 3 days as well) and guess what, Jog was basking in its natural glory.

i would definitely recommend anybody to go to Jog during this time. Although you may have to encounter non-stop rain:D

With monsoon reviving and it has been raining cats and dogs in the coastal Karnataka. Hence, it would be the ideal time to see the majestic Jog Falls.

I am planning to go next week end.
Hope to see a lot of photos put up on this thread.

Actually, this is the best time to go to Jog Falls, heard from friends who visited there last weekend that all the four falls were in flow

Attaching one more question to this thread.
I am planning a trip during september. Would that be a good time to visit Jog falls on a Saturday ( Sep-5 )?. Thanks in advance

Quote:

Originally Posted by santhosh_kumard (Post 1374164)
Attaching one more question to this thread.
I am planning a trip during september. Would that be a good time to visit Jog falls on a Saturday ( Sep-5 )?. Thanks in advance

As the rains will continue to haunt Malnad region all the way till beginning of september, so it should not be a worry to go to Jog during Sep.I'm not able to attach an image else for your reference I would have attached Jog pic at the August end of 08.

If I remember correctly, the water falls in Jog is controlled. It is done such that the water flow is more during weekends and holidays, for obvious reasons. Of course, it is subject to the availability of river water itself.

In my opinion, now is the right time to go. Now, with coastal region flooding, I guess you need not even wait for weekends. Added bonus is that you will not have to deal with maddening weekend crowds.

Quote:

Originally Posted by deepakhon (Post 1374316)
If I remember correctly, the water falls in Jog is controlled. It is done such that the water flow is more during weekends and holidays, for obvious reasons. Of course, it is subject to the availability of river water itself.

In my opinion, now is the right time to go. Now, with coastal region flooding, I guess you need not even wait for weekends. Added bonus is that you will not have to deal with maddening weekend crowds.

The water you see now is the water the rain brings after the dam. I dont think they are releasing any water from the dam given the low storage.

Sometimes due to heavy rain & too much of Fog(mist) will be there and Jog falls will not be visible, One has to wait for mist to disappear

Kenneth Anderson the renowned hunter of man eaters in South India in his famed book Black Panther of Sivanapalli talks about 2 beautiful forest bungalows on both side of Jog falls. Update from any BHPians on the current situation of this bungalows will be great.

Pic of Jog without water in 2006
Water Flow at Jogs falls-1.jpg

With water released 2 days later
Water Flow at Jogs falls-2.jpg

Water flow is controlled and quantum of water released to the falls depends on the catchment in the reservoir.

The only decent option for stay is in Sagar (Vardashri Guest House), at the falls itself we have a PWD bungalow, food options are very limited and tends to get very crowded during the days water flow is at it's maximum.