Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th July 2009, 07:57   #1
BHPian

Mumbai-Srinagar-Leh-Manali, Aug 09

I am leaving Mumbai on 25th July 09 in my Scorpio,it will be my 2nd trip to Ladakh but first time in own vehicle, Patnitop-28/07, 6 days Kashmir Valley, Kargil, 6 days Suru/Padum valley,3 days Lamayaru,Alchi,Leh, 3 days Nubra valley,7 days Pangong,Tso Moriri,Tso Kar,Sarchu,Jispa, reaching Manali on 25th August.
My worries are
1) Travelling within Kashmir Valley-separatists/other riots.
2) Antifreeze for radiator & diesel,specially if I stay overnight at Dras, instead of Kargil.
3) Diesel availability, I will be carrying a 20 ltr jerry can, will it be enough.
Thankful for any light shed on above.
Old 7th July 2009, 09:53   #2
Senior - BHPian

No problem with terrorism, unless you happen to run into curfew situations.
In Aug, you need not worry about fuel freezing.
Ensure that your can is sealed well.

I am leaving Bombay in my Scorpio on Sep 12 in the same route as you - maybe you can check out my Route Plan in the attached file.
Attached Files
File Type: xls leh-sep09.xls (98.5 KB, 1808 views)
Old 7th July 2009, 17:05   #3
BHPian

Kumarji your logs are simply too good, they were a great help and inspiration for my Orissa trip in Feb 09. I will definitely post latest road conditions during the trip.
Old 10th July 2009, 18:41   #4
BHPian

Kumar,
Wow. I just went through your travel plan. Amazing. Attention to the details are just mind boggling. Wish you and Devoo all the best for your adventures.
Old 13th July 2009, 10:42   #5
BHPian

situation in Srinagar,Baramulla

Can anyone please tell me about the situation in Srinagar & Baramulla,One of my friends who came back from Ladakh last week told me to move out early i.e.5.30am, and reach your destination before 9.00am. I am talking about driving from Pahalgam to Srinagar, Srinagar to Gulmarg etc.
Also any info about accommodation in Karu
Old 19th July 2009, 08:00   #6
BHPian

Kumar,
How many drivers in your vehicle,during Ladakh trip Sept.09.
Old 19th July 2009, 08:37   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
How many drivers in your vehicle,during Ladakh trip Sept.09.
9 vehicles, 22 passengers, including the drivers.

Quote:
Can anyone please tell me about the situation in Srinagar & Baramulla,One of my friends who came back from Ladakh last week told me to move out early i.e.5.30am, and reach your destination before 9.00am. I am talking about driving from Pahalgam to Srinagar, Srinagar to Gulmarg etc.
Also any info about accommodation in Karu
Srinagar situation keeps changing from time to time and for most part, a breeze to drive through and a must-stay place if you have the time. Occasionally, there are those wild-cat curfews, and the last 45 days have been unfortunate due to the incident of the women being raped, etc, and there have been continuous unrest in the Valley.

My friends drove through in bikes 3 days ago from Kargil to Srinagar and they had no problems at all. city is buzzing as usual and they stayed at the TRC, the centre of Srinagar town.

Circuits like SRinagar-Gulmarg are well-travelled and quite secure although they are close to the border. For Pahalgam, it is best visited on the way out of the Valley since it is off the road to Jammu and it is pointless t travel the extra 100 kms to and fro SRinagar.
Old 19th July 2009, 12:23   #8
BHPian

Thats a great caravan, would have loved to join it, but you are doing it a bit too fast. I am travelling with four of my friends and other than myself and one friend, no one knows driving. So I have to take it slowly.
Regarding Srinagar, I too got a call from afriend who is still there that the situation is cool.My movement is Patnitop-Pahalgam-Srinagar-Gulmarg-Srinagar-Sonmarg-Dras
Old 19th July 2009, 13:45   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devoo View Post
Thats a great caravan, would have loved to join it, but you are doing it a bit too fast. I am travelling with four of my friends and other than myself and one friend, no one knows driving. So I have to take it slowly.
Regarding Srinagar, I too got a call from afriend who is still there that the situation is cool.My movement is Patnitop-Pahalgam-Srinagar-Gulmarg-Srinagar-Sonmarg-Dras
You seem to be doing an extensive tour. Please let us know the road condition and hotel rates and availability.

BTW am also part of the caravan hopefully
Old 19th July 2009, 22:39   #10
BHPian

hvkumar your tour plan is excellent. tell us more about the no.of drivers in each vehicle, type of vehicle it's age etc. Just to understand more incase i have to plan something like this.

I just did a mum-blore-mum & thought have acheived something great till i saw your plan. WOW.

Wish you both hvkumar & devoo a happy & safe tour.
Old 19th July 2009, 23:26   #11
BHPian

I hear that presently in Leh they collect application for permits upto 12 noon only and issue the permits after 2.00pm, last time I was in Leh thats 2004, we applied in the afternoon and got it within 15 minutes.Any info on this?
Old 20th July 2009, 00:04   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiren View Post
hvkumar your tour plan is excellent. tell us more about the no.of drivers in each vehicle, type of vehicle it's age etc. Just to understand more incase i have to plan something like this.

I just did a mum-blore-mum & thought have acheived something great till i saw your plan. WOW.

Wish you both hvkumar & devoo a happy & safe tour.
We are a group of Scorpios, a Safari and an Aveo.
The Scorpios are all models - we even have 2 non-crdes (one of them mine), aged 6 years and the newest is 3 months old.
My Scorpio will have crossed 2,00,000 kms by the time the trip starts from Bombay.
We are pooling our resources - and except in 2 cars - no one is travelling with his family, we are all one large freinds group!
Old 20th July 2009, 13:21   #13
BHPian

My Scorpio will have crossed 2,00,000 kms by the time the trip starts from Bombay.

200,000 Kms excellent. My next vehicle will be a Scorpio.
Old 25th November 2009, 19:38   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
No problem with terrorism, unless you happen to run into curfew situations.
In Aug, you need not worry about fuel freezing.
Ensure that your can is sealed well.

I am leaving Bombay in my Scorpio on Sep 12 in the same route as you - maybe you can check out my Route Plan in the attached file.
Kumar - like me, lots have benefited by your logs. As a matter of fact, I'm planning to do a Mumbai - Leh trip next summer. Very excited about it. Could you give us a feedback on your september trip to the Himalayas.

Currently, I have got a Swift diesel, but do not have the courage to take it to the Himalayas. GC is a big worry. I know you have done it in a Matiz but then I'm in two minds. Now planning on an upgrade to an SUV. Though not sure which one to go for!!
Old 25th November 2009, 21:18   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban_legend View Post
Kumar - like me, lots have benefited by your logs. As a matter of fact, I'm planning to do a Mumbai - Leh trip next summer. Very excited about it. Could you give us a feedback on your september trip to the Himalayas.

Currently, I have got a Swift diesel, but do not have the courage to take it to the Himalayas. GC is a big worry. I know you have done it in a Matiz but then I'm in two minds. Now planning on an upgrade to an SUV. Though not sure which one to go for!!
I was part of HVK's team to Ladakh this september. You can read about it here http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...4-km-saga.html
As about your swift diesel making it or not, I think you should read this
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...top-world.html

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks