Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th July 2009, 13:21   #1
BHPian

Chennai to Gingee fort route query

Hi all

We've planned to go to Gingee fort one of these days, would like to know which route is the best from Chennai. Google maps shows 2 options:
  1. NH4 - Chennai - Kancheepuram - Vandavasi - right before Tindivanam - Nanglikondan - Gingee (172 km)
  2. ECR - Chennai - ECR - turn right just before Marakanam - Nanglikondan - Gingee (176 km)
  3. SH5 - Chennai - OMR - Navalur - Chengalpattu (bypass I think) - Vandavasi - right before Tindivanam - Nanglikondan - Gingee (185 km)
Would like to go on one and come back in some other route. Assuming we leave around 8 30 AM and want to be back the same day, which route to take on the onward and which on the return?

Not very keen on blasting down a NH, want to have photo opportunities en route and travel at a leisurely pace.

Is there a route not highlighted by Google maps?

Will be great if you also indicate places to stop and see on the way (if any).
Old 17th July 2009, 14:07   #2
Senior - BHPian

The best route is to go from Madras to Tindivanam via Chengalpat on NH45, turn left into NH66 and go to Gingee. Double road all the way to Tindivanam.
115 kms from Madras Saidapet to Tindivanam, 30 kms from there to Gingee.

I don't know how Google Maps arrived at these sadistic route profiles, looks like they like to make people go wrong!
Old 17th July 2009, 14:24   #3
BHPian

You are spot on (no surprise ) Kumar.

Is there another route I can take (scenic, a bit longer is fine) so that I use that on the onward and the NH45-NH66 on the return?

Or is this route scenic enough? As mentioned, I'm also looking for photo opportunities en route.
Old 17th July 2009, 14:30   #4
Senior - BHPian

The landscapes in this route are nothing to write home about, maybe the Marakkanam route will be a better choice. I wouldn't however want to drive on narrow country roads after dark though, lots of action - drunkards, evening time-passers, etc.
Old 17th July 2009, 14:35   #5
BHPian

Got it Kumar. So onward, when it is bright, Ill go via ECR, Marakkanam and on the return (evening/night), Ill do tha NH45 route.

Thanks a ton!
Old 17th July 2009, 14:44   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
The best route is to go from Madras to Tindivanam via Chengalpat on NH45, turn left into NH66 and go to Gingee. Double road all the way to Tindivanam.
115 kms from Madras Saidapet to Tindivanam, 30 kms from there to Gingee.
Isn't this a right from the highway?
Old 17th July 2009, 15:02   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Isn't this a right from the highway?
Yes, there is a flyover at that junction, on NH66 (Pondy-Tindivanam direction), and after you turn right off NH45, you go through a small bazaar in Tindivanam town.
Old 17th July 2009, 15:20   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Yes, there is a flyover at that junction, on NH66 (Pondy-Tindivanam direction), and after you turn right off NH45, you go through a small bazaar in Tindivanam town.
Sir you dont need to go upto the jn. But take a right just before where the byepass begins. You will join the highway at the jn. where the road to vandavasi diverges. You will need to use the bridge only when going to pondy or towards villupuram from tiruvannamalai side
Old 17th July 2009, 15:31   #9
Team-BHP Support

Any Navaitha's here? I am a Jeddy.

Send me a PM.

Mods: please let this stay.
This location has some significance to my extended family.
Will be nice if I bump into someone.
Old 13th March 2015, 11:06   #10
BHPian

Re: Chennai to Gingee fort route query

Friends,
Can you please let me know if NH66 is good route to take now to go to gingee from chennai (tambaram) ? Any suggestions and recommendations are welcome..

regards
Balaji Babu
Old 13th March 2015, 12:00   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balaji31582 View Post
Friends,
Can you please let me know if NH66 is good route to take now to go to gingee from chennai (tambaram) ?
I had taken Tindivanam - Gingee - Thiruvannamallai route couple of weeks back.

Road condition between Tindivanam and Gingee is bad with no sign of road work. However, I guess that is the best possible option considering till Tindivanam you will have a stress free drive from Chennai.

You can see the pics of route here.
mpksuhas is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2015, 12:14   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
I had taken Tindivanam - Gingee - Thiruvannamallai route couple of weeks back.

Road condition between Tindivanam and Gingee is bad with no sign of road work. However, I guess that is the best possible option considering till Tindivanam you will have a stress free drive from Chennai.

You can see the pics of route here.
Thanks for the response mpksuhas. I saw one pic where you have mentioned about the road. I will have to say it was not a road at all . My friend is planning to go by his bullet, so do you think if this route still holds good to go by a two wheeler?

Last edited by Balaji31582 : 13th March 2015 at 12:16.
Old 13th March 2015, 14:23   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the response mpksuhas. I saw one pic where you have mentioned about the road. I will have to say it was not a road at all . My friend is planning to go by his bullet, so do you think if this route still holds good to go by a two wheeler?
Yes, there are patches of around 100 meters at many places where road is not present

However, I guess this will be the best option still since the problem is only in the last 20 odd KMS between Tindivanam and Gingee. It will be bit painful, however I am not sure of any better alternate road.
Old 13th March 2015, 23:23   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The best option would :

Drive on GST till Sothupakkam (Melmaruvathur). Turn to Vandavasi and there on to Chetpet and then Gingee. Chetpet-Gingee road may not be all that great. Rest should be OK.

Route Link
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks