Team-BHP - Hyderabad to Delhi : Route Queries
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Route / Travel Queries (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/)
-   -   Hyderabad to Delhi : Route Queries (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/62175-hyderabad-delhi-route-queries.html)

@ Mods: Haven't seen any thread on this so starting a new one. If there is an existent thread then please move it.

I will be driving from Hyderabad to Delhi in September and intend to take Hyderabad - Nagpur - Itarsi - Bhopal - Shivpuri - Morena - Agra - Delhi.

I would like to know what is the state of roads especially in MP. Especially Nagpur - Itarsi - Bhopal - Shivpuri - Morena.

Cheers

Hi Milecruncher
I just did this stretch on 16-18 July and you can find my post here

The whole stretch had excellent roads inspite of recent rains, the only poor stretch is just 150 km short of Nagpur and that stretch is around 75 km, many places the roads are non existent and it looks like that was the effect of recent rains, maybe by September that might be better as i could see gravel and other material being parked on the roadside which i assumed is for the road word

You can do the whole trip in 2 days flat and it should not take more than 32 hours of drive in total, of course if you intend to take a break then do it at Bhopal. Try not to enter the cities either in Itarsi or Gwalior or Agra, all has Bypass roads. However you cannot do away with entering Nagpur or Bhopal as the NH passes through the city. Bypasses at Itarsi and Gwalior are pretty straightforward, just take the normal road and follow the roadsigns. But at Agra you might get little confused, just a little short of Agra you will find a road sign which says left for Delhi, you need to take that and follow around 40 km of interior roads, you will find two railway crossings and a heavy flow of truck traffic, it might take you an hour to cross this, but i assume it is better than entering Agra city as it can be a real pain in the city traffic and will take you no less than 2 hours to cross it, except if you are hitting Agra in the midnight then it is advisable to take the city route
Hope this helps

Am finding out more details from my contacts, but last heard that some roads have been totally washed off due to incessant rains over the last 48 hrs.

The downpour is still continuing. But since you intend to do this trip in September, things should improve by then.

Thanks Rajesh!

I did the Delhi - Hyderabad route back in September 2008 and took the North South Link. Roads were horrible or almost non-existent between Jhansi - Lakhnadon. Lakhnadon - Seoni - Nagpur were good. But certain sections between Nagpur and Hyderabad were also horrible.

Hence the reason to not take the N-S link but doing via Bhopal. I'm specifically concerned about the Nagpur - Itrasi - Bhopal - Shivpuri - morena section the most as traditionally MP has always had one of the worst roads in India after Bihar ;)

The Nagpur-Bhopal-Gwalior route is lovely, and is in good condition as of last week.

Forget Nagpur-Laknadon-Sagar-Jhansi-Gwalior route, the roads continue to be terrible.

And from Gwalior onwards, it is 4-lane road throughout.

I drove on the Hyderabad-Nagpur section in June and trust me when I say that at many places the roads between Nirmal and Nagpur were as good as non-existant. The biggest issue were that at many places the road was dug across and never filled up properly leading to huge craters .. I had tough time driving my RS with low ground clearances. At time, I had to stop, reverse and go off the road or on the curbs.

The roads were pretty much the same in April as well when my Dad drove on the same stretch. And given the fact that its still monsoon season, I do not think the roads on this section would be repaired to a great extent by September.

If you are planning to drive down in your Storm, I think you should not have much of an issue with the bad roads, but will loose out on time.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ardy (Post 1399343)
I drove on the Hyderabad-Nagpur section in June and trust me when I say that at many places the roads between Nirmal and Nagpur were as good as non-existant. The biggest issue were that at many places the road was dug across and never filled up properly leading to huge craters .. I had tough time driving my RS with low ground clearances. At time, I had to stop, reverse and go off the road or on the curbs.

The roads were pretty much the same in April as well when my Dad drove on the same stretch. And given the fact that its still monsoon season, I do not think the roads on this section would be repaired to a great extent by September.

If you are planning to drive down in your Storm, I think you should not have much of an issue with the bad roads, but will loose out on time.

Thanks for the info Ardy. I intend to start at 2 AM on Day 1 and make it by lunch 12 Noon to Nagpur. Further from there want to reach Bhopal by night 9 PM.

HVK Sir, Now is the above realistically possible without doing too high speeds continuously?

Quote:

Originally Posted by MileCruncher (Post 1399772)
Thanks for the info Ardy. I intend to start at 2 AM on Day 1 and make it by lunch 12 Noon to Nagpur. Further from there want to reach Bhopal by night 9 PM.

HVK Sir, Now is the above realistically possible without doing too high speeds continuously?

Yes, you should be able to make it, although I would start a little later so that I take the worst parts of NH7 after Adilabad after there is enough light and not wallow around in the pre-dawn darkness. After Nagpur, you can make good speeds, and reach even earlier than that in Nagpur.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MileCruncher

@MileCruncher: I had started at 03:30 AM in the morning and I was in Nagpur at between 10:30 AM and 11:30 AM comfortably inspite of the bad road. Though when I was returning, rains had started and I had to drive in the rain on the bad stretch of the road and took me about 90 mins longer.

As HV suggested, you can afford to start a little later. Not just for the brighter sky during the drive after Adilabad, but also because after about 150 KM from Hyderabad, the road is either 2 lane road or has quite a few diversion due to expansion work.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MileCruncher (Post 1399772)

Yes, very well doable and you should not take that much time, i started at 11 in the night and reached at 7.45 Nagpur then your timing is perfectly doable

My dates are finalised and I'll be leaving Hyderabad on 11th September at about 2 am for Delhi enroute to Ladakh.

I intend to do the hyd - del trip non-stop and anybody interested or headed in the same direction around the same time can join in.

Looks like I may have to go via Kanpur. what is the best route from Nagpur to Kanpur? Should I go via Jabalpur or via Bhopal/Jhansi?

The shortest route to Kanpur from Nagpur is via Seoni, Laknadon, Narasinghpur, Sagar and Lalitpur. However, NH26 after Laknadon (where you get off NH7) is a nightmare (this is last week's update, a friend drove that way to Delhi, much to his regret - despite my advice!).

The route via Jabalpur is too much off the way, going east when you want to go North. Don't even consider this route. That would mean going from Nagpur via Seoni, Jabalpur, Katni, Rewa, Mirzapur, Varanasi and Allahabad.

That leaves the long route on NH69 (Nagpur-Betul-Itrasi-Obaidullahganj), NH12 (Obaidullaganj-Bhopal-Biaora), NH3 (Biaora-Guna-Shivpuri), NH79 (Shivpuri-Jhansi-Bhognipur-Pukhrayan) and Nh2 (Pukhrayan-Kanpur). Obviously, this is a very complicated route.

All other possible routes through MP are avoidable. Considering how complex the NH69, etc route via BHopal is, maybe it is better to break your suspension a little in the bad roads via Sagar.

But, you will not be able to make it in 2 days to Delhi, will be surprised if you make it to Kanpur in 2 days!

Quote:

Originally Posted by MileCruncher (Post 1429388)
My dates are finalised and I'll be leaving Hyderabad on 11th September at about 2 am for Delhi enroute to Ladakh.

I intend to do the hyd - del trip non-stop and anybody interested or headed in the same direction around the same time can join in.

Good Luck MC. Look forward to a long winding travelogue and loads and loads of pictures.

Enjoy and drive safe and a friendly advice stay away from #1 enemy for drivers while driving:)

My cousin and I are planning a trip from Hyderabad to Delhi around the end of this month!

Vehicle is Ford Fiesta.

Requesting fellow Bhpians on the following:

- Which route via mumbai or nagpur?
- Current road condition of our N-S corridor and GQ
- Restaurants/ stop overs for night!
- Any other tips/ information

Now, most people have said this time and again that the mumbai route is preferable. But, I know that Solapur to Pune is just horrible due to four-laning works and rain.

We are willing to be a bit more adventurous and choose a longish sort of route say Hyd-Nag-jblpur-kanpur via GQ to delhi if the road is good!

Basically, we are looking for a route that offers good road, even if it is longer!

Any inputs appreciated - please: