Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th October 2017, 10:22   #211
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Bangalore to Chikmagalur - Best Route & Road Status?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post

@paragbhai and procrj, since Sandy28 plans to go to Halebidu directly from Hassan, he needn't take the bypass at all. He can either enter the city via the Dairy circle or Mysore road, reach the Police Station junction and then drive on through Salagame road to reach Halebidu. Alternatively, from the Dairy circle, he can also take the Ring road and join the Salagame road.
I did read that Helebidu came first. But then many take Hagare while less take Salagame road. This was mainly to refer about the said bypass, which is definitely not worth now.

Also, taking the Diary Circle and Ring road would be better and faster choice to each Salagame road.

Also, I have no idea on present condition of Hassan Halebidu road but I did read somewhere on one of the threads that it was good enough but can't find that thread.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th October 2017, 17:23   #212
BHPian

Quote:
Please don't!

The Hassan-Halebeedu-Belavadi-Kalasapura-Magadi stretch was butter smooth when I drove through parts of it two months ago. Despite the recent rains, it would still be good; or at least not bad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
I did read that Helebidu came first. But then many take Hagare while less take Salagame road. This was mainly to refer about the said bypass, which is definitely not worth now.

Also, taking the Diary Circle and Ring road would be better and faster choice to each Salagame road.

Also, I have no idea on present condition of Hassan Halebidu road but I did read somewhere on one of the threads that it was good enough but can't find that thread.
Quoting @Dailydriver's post that Hassan-Halebeedu stretch should be good. Hope the situation still holds good. If this route is good, then I would prefer taking this route directly to Halebidu from Hasan so that I can avoid going too much in to the town.

Is the Bhadra Wildlife Sanctuary worth a visit? Reading about the wildlife in the sanctuary, my son is super excited but I couldn't find any details about jungle safaris for those not staying in the Jungle Lodge.
Sandy28 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2017, 18:01   #213
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy28 View Post
Is the Bhadra Wildlife Sanctuary worth a visit? Reading about the wildlife in the sanctuary, my son is super excited but I couldn't find any details about jungle safaris for those not staying in the Jungle Lodge.
Not worth the drive, money and effort. It is rare to spot proper wild animals during this safari. A few peacocks here and some deers there are the staples as per my enquiry with the forest department folks. I can confirm that bisons, tigers and elephants are almost never sighted. You will end up disappointing your son.

For details, do ring up this number on working days: 08262-234904

Where have you booked your accommodation? Is it anywhere around the sanctuary?
dailydriver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2017, 20:03   #214
BHPian

Quote:
Not worth the drive, money and effort. It is rare to spot proper wild animals during this safari.

Where have you booked your accommodation? Is it anywhere around the sanctuary?
Thanks a lot for that input. That was very helpful. I am put up in Chikamaglur town. So I would have driven about 80 km round trip for no use.
Old 17th October 2017, 21:41   #215
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
Can bypass most of Hassan by using this route
I had stayed at Prakruti Homestay near Jayapura a few years back ..
Thanks for those pics. I was about to book at another place near Thirthahalli, then saw these, and changed my plans.

How is the road from Chikmagalur town to this place? And is the approach road decently motorable?
Old 17th October 2017, 23:11   #216
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohan24 View Post
How is the road from Chikmagalur town to this place? And is the approach road decently motorable?
Since this is near Balehonnur, expect roads to be good till the approach.

Post that, better to confirm from the property owner. This is a common occurrence here that when it rains, the final approach road gives in as it's a private road and not a typical SH or an NH. Many properties have permanent concrete roads while those who don't, they always make arrangements and pick you in jeeps to destination from where the road is bad.

RJ should also be able to comment on that.
Old 17th October 2017, 23:33   #217
BHPian

Thanks Parag sir. We plan to go to Agumbe and Sringeri from there. Any idea on the road conditions on the Sringeri - Agumbe road?
Is Agumbe doable on day 1 of getting there? I.e. Check into the place, and then do the Agumbe trip?
Old 18th October 2017, 08:31   #218
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
And is the approach road decently motorable?
Quote:
Post that, better to confirm from the property owner
Rohan - do check with the owner as its been a couple of years and I not sure how the roads are now. Most of the road had tarmac if I remember right.

BLR - Balehonnur will be 6 hours and Balehonnur - Agumbe should be 1.5 hrs. So you can do Agumbe on the same day.
procrj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2017, 11:24   #219
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Any idea on the road conditions on the Sringeri - Agumbe road?
This is in excellent shape. 3 friends rode back from Kollur to Tumkur last week when returning from Karwar.
Quote:
Is Agumbe doable on day 1 of getting there? I.e. Check into the place, and then do the Agumbe trip?
Easily doable from Bangalore without a fuss. But remember that you get around 250 kms of usually fast (less curvy) roads. Beyond Chikmagalur all the way to Agumbe will be a lot of twists and turns, follow the traffic type roads.

So with patience and a good early start, this is very much possible with usual pace and a lot of breaks.
Old 22nd October 2017, 23:04   #220
BHPian

Did BLR-Chikmagalur-Agumbe this weekend. Excellent roads throughout, barring about 20 kms between Chikmagalur-Aldur which has potholes intermittently.
Rest of it after Aldur is butter smooth, and a treat to drive.

Got a very useful piece of advice from the homestay owner on the route from the place, near Jayapura to Agumbe, if one doesn't want to go to Sringeri.
In Jayapura village, take the straight road that goes to Koppa, road to the left goes to Sringeri. Continue on Koppa road for around 14 kms, until Narve village. Take a left at Narve. There is a sign-board that says "Hariharapura - Left". This road meets the Koppa-Agumbe road.

It's a very good road, Beautiful surface throughout, and most importantly very little traffic, so does save a lot of time.
Attached Images

Last edited by Rohan24 : 22nd October 2017 at 23:05.
Rohan24 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th October 2017, 18:44   #221
Senior - BHPian

Status update on the MULLAYANAGIRI road

Mullayanagiri, the highest point in Karnataka, is generally a must see place for tourists and travellers visiting Chikkamagaluru. Enroute to the peak, one passes by Seethalayanagiri. Many people prefer to park their vehicles at this place and cover the rest of the picturesque distance by foot. However, for those not endowed with the luxury of time, driving all the way till the base of the mountain is the only solution.

This drive, though adventurous, is extremely demanding and fraught with danger because of the narrow and broken roads. The difference in height between the edge of the metalled surface and the road shoulder dissuades drivers from voluntarily moving to the side and giving way to vehicles coming from the opposite direction. Very often, this results in frowns, shouting games, names calling and what not! Traffic jam assumes an all new dimension during weekends and holidays.

Sensing the trouble faced by people, authorities have decided and sanctioned (as per a source) a project to concretize the entire 3km stretch from Seethalayanagiri to Mullayanagiri. But the work would, I am told, begin only by December.

Meanwhile, as a stop-gap arrangement, the hill sides are being scraped off to add a feet or two of extra space to the existing road.

Road being expanded

Bangalore to Chikmagalur - Best Route & Road Status?-img_20171026_1454151052x592.jpg

Bangalore to Chikmagalur - Best Route & Road Status?-img_20171026_145558592x1052.jpg

While this is a good move, I am not sure what will the state of this new addition be after a bout of fresh rain.

Now, the intention of this post is to warn wannabe conquerors of the peak (by car) to be a bit more careful while driving onwards from Seethalayanagiri. It would be better if cars with low ground clearance, soft suspension and longer front overhang are not taken to the top, especially with full load. The stones, small rocks and large potholes in this stretch could be detrimental to the car's underbody. And, since the entire stretch is slippery, those with bald/old tyres need to be extra careful.

Current condition of the road

Bangalore to Chikmagalur - Best Route & Road Status?-img_20171026_145649592x1052.jpg

Bangalore to Chikmagalur - Best Route & Road Status?-img_20171026_145730592x1052.jpg

Bangalore to Chikmagalur - Best Route & Road Status?-img_20171026_1454241052x592.jpg

What are the alternatives then?

1. Park at Seethalayanagiri and trek to the peak. It would be a 2-3 hour endeavour to and fro.

2. Hire local jeeps available in the city, at the hotels and home stays which would take you to the base of the peak.
dailydriver is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 30th October 2017, 12:04   #222
BHPian

Quote:
[u]Status update on the MULLAYANAGIRI road

What are the alternatives then?

Quote:
---I did read that Helebidu came first---
Friends,
Planning to do a 3 day trip to Belur, Halebidu and Chikmagalur on 2nd week of December.

Day 1 plan to visit Belur and Halebidu and settle down in either of the places.
Day 2, proceed to Thotadhalli homestay and stay there overnight.
Day 3, a visit to Mullayanagiri and Bababudangiri and back to homestay.
Day 4 , return to Bangalore.

I would like to have details on any of the hotels/accommodation options in Belur/Halebidu.

Also, after reading dailydriver's post, I think I need to hire a jeep in the locality rather than taking my vehicle to Mullayanagiri and other places.

Taking my 2.5 year old and hence the relaxed, 4-day journey.

Suggestions, please.

Edit : Tentative dates : 8 Dec-11 Dec
autospeaker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2017, 12:26   #223
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autospeaker View Post
Friends,
Planning to do a 3 day trip to Belur, Halebidu and Chikmagalur on 2nd week of December.
Quote:
Day 1 plan to visit Belur and Halebidu and settle down in either of the places.
Makes more sense to settle on Day 1 in Chikmagalur town itself.

- Hardly 30 minutes from Belur and 45 from Halebidu
- More and more better options to stay for the night
- Belur has limited (Just about OK) options while Halebidu too is similar
- Thotadalli Homestay that you are destined for Day 2 is 30 minutes from Chikmagalur and on the way and hence staying at Chikmagalur is not going to be a detour for you

Quote:
I would like to have details on any of the hotels/accommodation options in Belur/Halebidu.
Explained above already.

If you can stick to this circuit, it will be perfect:

Option 1: Bangalore - Nelemangala - Kunigal - Hassan - Belur - Halebidu - Kalasapura - Magadi Hand post - Chikmagalur

Option 2: Bangalore - Nelemangala - Kunigal - Hassan - Belur - Halebidu - Belur Chikmagalur

Option 2 is easy to navigate although you will have to come back to Belur (only till outskirts) driving 16kms from Helebidu and then head to Chikmagalur.

Option 1 is also good but you may need to navigate through some less taken roads by tourists. But the good thing is that with this option, you can as well visit the temple at Belavadi too (lot of threads on this temple).

Quote:
Also, after reading dailydriver's post, I think I need to hire a jeep in the locality rather than taking my vehicle to Mullayanagiri and other places.
Mullayanagiri is a place where cars can go. The biggest issue is on weekends when there is crowd, more card and inexperienced drivers unable to make it through the last steep climb. And when there is traffic, this gets bad that people end up parking wherever they want, midway and cause problems to others.

I you are going on a weekday, its going to be very easy and now that rains are gone, the surface would have become better too and less slippery.

EDIT: Just went through the update by DD. It means, given the present state, good to take a jeep which is a service that would have opened shop below anyway due to the business case getting created out of this :-)

Last edited by paragsachania : 30th October 2017 at 12:32.
paragsachania is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th October 2017, 18:27   #224
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autospeaker View Post
Tentative dates : 8 Dec-11 Dec
Agree with paragsachania's suggestions regarding the route and accommodation. For a day's stay in Chikkamagaluru, you may look at Hotel Aadrika. It is the latest and one of the best options in town.

Quote:
Just went through the update by DD.
@paragbhai, as of now, Mullayanagiri is off limits for all vehicles on Saturdays and Sundays.The only option is to to hike from Seethalayanagiri. On weekdays, unless there is some repair work being carried out (like on the day I visited there last week), vehicles are allowed till the top. However, the road surface is tattered at many places with big and small sharp stones (jalli) jutting out prominently. This could be injurious to a tyre's health. Couple this with haphazard parking and over enthusiastic downhill driving, especially of those who look to replicate their highway driving prowess in the narrow stretch, we have the perfect recipe for disaster. I may sound parochial here, but I have noticed that the local drivers are a lot more considerate and patient while driving on the ghats.

Interestingly, I don't recall any major/fatal accidents occurring in the hills. But losing a bumper or a denting an oil sump is a regular occurrence. Once, I had to arrange a tow for a friend's Qualis that had slipped a few feet under while trying to give way to a Tempo Traveller. Although minor, these incidents can spoil the mood of the entire trip.

While on the topic of hills, these days I find it difficult to manoeuvre my car on the Bababudangiri road. It is indeed a headache to drive up almost 20km of broken roads. The occasional landfall and the carelessly parked vehicles don't help either. In the month of August, while taking my brother in law to the peak, I had to turn back midway, from near Honnamanahalla. That I had to intervene in a fight between a group of youngsters in a Tata pickup and some bikers who were blocking the road, clear and direct the traffic for five minutes and then take a five point turn to reverse my car, all in the pouring rain on a Saturday afternoon, left me disappointed at the sorry state of affairs. The odd policeman or the homeguard on duty is not shrewd or experienced enough to ease these bottlenecks.

Sorry for the rant.

Edit: Replying to autospeaker's PM here as I feel it could be of use to others too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by autospeaker
Is it ok to hire a local jeep for Mullayanagiri? Am planning to go there on Moday
Sure, you can hire one.

It generally costs ₹2,500 and covers Seethalayanagiri, Mullayanagiri, Honnamanahalla, Bababudangiri, Galikere or Manikyadhara falls. They usually accommodate up to ten people. You can get ₹500 off in case there are only 3-4 passengers. Or you can even share the jeep with others and divide the fare. You will have to hire a different one for going to Dabdab falls. It costs ₹500.

Since your tentative date of journey is in December, I would suggest you to put off the decision on the vehicle. As I have stated in my earlier post, I was told that concretization of the road would begin in December. If that happens, there is no meaning in hiring a jeep and going to a place where you could easily go in your own car .

Last edited by dailydriver : 30th October 2017 at 18:54.
dailydriver is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2017, 21:39   #225
BHPian

Quote:
Makes more sense to settle on Day 1 in Chikmagalur town itself.
Quote:
Agree with paragsachania's suggestions regarding the route and accommodation.
Any suggestions on Maharaja Inn or The Grand Krishna for accommodation,please ?

I prefer veg options.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks