Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 3rd November 2017, 00:48   #226
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Bangalore to Chikmagalur - Best Route & Road Status?

Quote:
Originally Posted by autospeaker View Post
Any suggestions on Maharaja Inn or The Grand Krishna for accommodation,please ?

I prefer veg options.
Grand Krishna would be my pick. A better (classier than the other) option. Maharaja otherwise is famous for NV anyway.

Grand Krishna is good, so is Lotus-Botique Hotel and Giri Inn. All came up at the same time (renovated or new) and all doing good business and offering good accommodation too.

Chikmagalur town now has 40 Hotels to pick from of which at least 25 have come up in last 2 years!
paragsachania is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2017, 01:14   #227
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autospeaker View Post
Any suggestions on Maharaja Inn or The Grand Krishna for accommodation,please ?

I prefer veg options.
The restaurants attached to both these hotels aren't exclusively vegetarian. The first one, located across the street from the inn, serves 99% non vegetarian food. I am not sure where they source their complimentary breakfast from.

The Grand Krishna has a good eatery, which again serves some good sea food along with other vegetarian dishes. Though you will have to park your vehicles on the street/in uncovered ground at both these places, they do provide decent accommodation.

In addition to paragsachania's suggestions, I would request you to look at Crystal Inn too as an option.

Last edited by dailydriver : 3rd November 2017 at 01:27.
dailydriver is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2017, 08:37   #228
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
In addition to paragsachania's suggestions, I would request you to look at Crystal Inn too as an option.
We have tried dinner a couple of times at Crystal Inn and its actually good. Its a pure vegetarian restaurant but I have only seen the rooms and not got a chance to stay here(since my uncle's house is right behind ) but the rooms look very good to me. The only issue I see is their parking, which might become full on a weekend with complete occupancy.
audioholic is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th November 2017, 19:29   #229
BHPian

Back from a weekend trip to Chikmagalur. Nothing much to discuss about the road upto Chikmagalur except for a few craters just after Hassan town towards Belur.

I visited Mullayangiri as part of the trip. As I went on a friday, there was relatively less traffic. The road is narrow but fine until Seethayalangiri, just requires careful negotiation of oncoming traffic. After Seethayalangiri, its about 2.5 Kms. The first half of this stretch is pretty bad with lot of stones around and requires careful progress to avoid underbody hits. The second half has been partially concreted and work is in progress.

I would also like to make a special mention about Thotadahalli homestay where I had stayed during the trip, for a wonderful experience. Do consider this place if you are visiting Chikamaglur.

Thanks to dailydriver for useful inputs on the route.
rahulb22 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th November 2017, 19:47   #230
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulb22 View Post
I visited Mullayangiri as part of the trip... After Seethayalangiri, its about 2.5 Kms. The first half of this stretch is pretty bad with lot of stones around and requires careful progress to avoid underbody hits. The second half has been partially concreted and work is in progress...

Thanks to dailydriver for useful inputs on the route.
Always a pleasure helping fellow Bhpians.

Am glad your observations on the Mullayanagiri road, specially the stretch after Seethalayanagiri, corroborated mine . Saying this because I was worried that I might have scared off many readers through my posts on the dilapidated conditions of the road. I always believe in being safe than sorry, more so while travelling away from home and with family in tow. Hence, the (over)cautionary approach.

In some other news, folks looking at Chikkamagaluru as their destination during November 18-19 weekend may kindly confirm their accommodation status with their hosts. Due to a religious celebration, orders have been issued to home stays by the district administration not to entertain guests on these days. This may affect home stays that are located in and around Mullayanagiri, Bababudangiri, Kaimara and Aldur. So, better to confirm before hand. Needless to say that all the giris will be off limits to tourists.

Bangalore to Chikmagalur - Best Route & Road Status?-img_20171113_1934571160x1342.jpg
Prajavani, Dt:12/11/2017

Also, in the days leading to the weekend, police check posts will be erected at all the entry points to the city. If you are keen on visiting, please keep all your documents - vehicular and personal - ready and be game for some soft enquiries on the motives of your visit!
dailydriver is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2017, 15:31   #231
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
Due to a religious celebration, orders have been issued to home stays...
In continuation of the previous post, I would like to inform the forum about similar restrictions being imposed on tourists from 01/12/2017 to 03/12/2017 for identical reasons. Bababudangiri and other places in the vicinity would be out of bounds for non-piligrim visitors. So, please plan accordingly.
Old 22nd May 2018, 09:27   #232
BHPian

What is the current state of roads from Chikmagaluru to Kemmangundi? Google maps suggests going via Lingadhalli from Chikmagaluru to reach Kemmangundi. I am planning a trip there during this weekend. Thanks in advance!

Last edited by mohan41 : 22nd May 2018 at 09:47.
Old 22nd May 2018, 09:49   #233
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohan41 View Post
What is the current state of roads from Chikmagaluru to Kemmangundi? Google maps suggests going via Lingadhalli from Chikmagaluru to reach Kemmangundi. I am planning a trip there during this weekend. Thanks in advance!
Just checked with my cousin on the status of the road via Kaimara - Attigundi and its still not good. Says the last 20 kms before Kemmannugundi is in very bad shape, especially for low GC cars.

I am not sure about the condition of the alternate route via Lingadahalli - Tarikere and it is better to check with few locals there where you will be staying to get proper update.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2018, 10:53   #234
BHPian

Thanks Parag. Can you please check how is the route to Mullayyanagiri from Chikkamagaluru?

Last edited by mohan41 : 22nd May 2018 at 10:54.
Old 22nd May 2018, 12:41   #235
BHPian

Had been to Mullayanagiri in late march. The last 3-4kms of the climb are broken roads. Can't see even traces of tarmacs in most places. GC wasn't an issue even on a sedan, except for a couple of places where I had to take it really slow, but still no underbelly scrapes.
Vysakh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2018, 15:31   #236
BHPian

Hey guys,
I"m doing a trip from Bangalore Airport to Chikmagalur starting tomorrow (Fri 1 Jun) and back on Tue 5 Jun. I start from the airport around 11.30-12noon.
Should I just follow the Google Map route? I'm travelling with 6 year old twins so would need a good rest stop somewhere 2-3 hours into the journey. Please suggest a good one with space for kids to stretch their legs.

Also, how it the weather right now? Do I need to factor more time for anything?
Thanks in advance.
Old 31st May 2018, 17:01   #237
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aptiwa View Post
Hey guys,
I"m doing a trip from Bangalore Airport to Chikmagalur starting tomorrow (Fri 1 Jun) and back on Tue 5 Jun. I start from the airport around 11.30-12noon.
Should I just follow the Google Map route? I'm travelling with 6 year old twins so would need a good rest stop somewhere 2-3 hours into the journey. Please suggest a good one with space for kids to stretch their legs.

Also, how it the weather right now? Do I need to factor more time for anything?
Thanks in advance.
On a weekday at 11:30, you might mostly be directed via City. However you may also be guided to take the Doddaballapur Nelamangala route depending in traffic conditions prevalent at that time.

I had taken the Doddaballapur route last month after a long time and realised that there is good amount of construction work going on as you close in near Nelamangala. This might at times be irritating. I think in all probabilities they are expanding the road between Nelamangala to Doddaballapur to make it a suitable alternate to reach Airport from Tumkur/Hassan side.

For ease of driving, especially for the first time around here, I would say take the city road and Hebbal if at all would be your only bottleneck and that may not take more than 15-20m to cross or even lesser at that time towards Tumkur Road side.

On weather, in general temperature has gone little down while nights are usually pleasant. If it rains, it will be cooler than usual. Don't expect chilling temperature either during the day or night if it doesn't rain.

Only suggestion is to carry umbrella and rain coats as necessary to mitigate rainy conditions and still enjoy!
paragsachania is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th June 2018, 16:38   #238
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
So the latest tradition continues - You cant get good coffee in the land of coffee!
I couldn't have expressed it better.

None of the known/famous/recommended places do justice to the Chikkamagaluru brand of coffee. The ones that do are the hole in the wall kind of outlets that are not practically suggestible to visitors. Also, a lot of locals prefer tea to coffee, forcing me to recall the adage Hittala gida maddalla (or Ghar ki murgi dal barabar) .

The primary ingredient for making tasty filter coffee - apart from good/right amount of decoction - is milk. Wherever it is kept on low heat and stirred occasionally (provided a good coffee powder is used), the coffee tends to be good.

The famous Town Canteen - inevitable choice for a coffee break for us because of its proximity - serves inconsistent coffee and tea. Whenever the actual cook prepares it, the beverages are good. But that is rare, specifically on weekends. Hence, disappointment is a given.

That said, the hotel located inside the KSRTC bus stand serves pretty decent coffee. Safe to recommend to friends.

PS: I should have taken up this discussion in the coffee thread but then that is a place for some designer/sophisticated coffee choices and this might feel out of place there. .

Minor Flood Alert

The Hebbale bridge that connects Kalasa and Horanadu is prone to flooding every rainy season. With constant rains, the same has submerged this time too. Although vehicles are crossing the bridge braving the flowing water, it is a dangerous place and must be cleared carefully.

Location of the bridge.

Bangalore to Chikmagalur - Best Route & Road Status?-screenshot_20180611153757566_com.google.android.apps.maps807x1150.png

Representational Photo of the bridge (The Hindu, DT: 20-07-2017)

Bangalore to Chikmagalur - Best Route & Road Status?-screenshot_20180611152741164_com.android.chrome810x674.png
dailydriver is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 29th June 2018, 20:21   #239
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romins View Post
I will be riding to Chikmagalur this weekend. How's the condition of the road? Planning to ride to Agumbe and Mullayanagri-Kemmangundi routes.
You will have to be more specific about the route you are planning to take, itinerary etc. That will help in answering your questions clearly. As of now, all roads are in decent condition and are unlikely to be a problem for riders; but can't say the same of the constant rains in the area.
Old 2nd July 2018, 15:48   #240
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohan41 View Post
Chikmangalur to Kemmangundi via Kaimara -Lingadahalli-Kalhatti is OK. Last few KM's (about 2-3) on the hill before Kemmangundi is very rough. Apart from that it's good. The road from Chikmagaluru to Lingadhalli is in superb condition with absolutely no traffic on a weekday. Lot's of greenery around.

Most Viewed