Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd October 2018, 06:46   #256
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bangalore to Chikmagalur - Best Route & Road Status?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Heard about Kurinji bloom in some parts of Chikmagalur?
Bangalore Mirror has this to say about the bloom.
Quote:
Tourists were eagerly waiting for a spectacular show that blooms into view every 12 years. October went by and the hills of Chikkamaguluru did not turn purple with neelakurinji flowers
And two contrary views from experts:
Quote:
“There is a chance that the flowers will bloom by the first week of November. It may not be as widespread as 2006, but tourists can catch the flowers in bloom.”
Quote:
“There is no chance of the neelakurinji blooming this year, as there are very few plants found on the hilly region. By October, the hilly areas are covered with purple flowers. But this year, it hasn’t happened.”
A report in TOI dwells on the different dimensions of the issue. It quotes the DCF as saying:
Quote:
We want to confirm there has been no bloom this year. Public should not believe fake messages
A line it carries makes prefect sense to me.
Quote:
Sources in the department said some resort and hotel owners in the area are spreading messages on kurinji bloom to draw customers.
And finally, an explanation from an environmentalist.
Quote:
The neelkurinji in Chikkamagaluru is of a different species and according to our documentation the bloom was witnessed in 1992 and again in 2006. So, there is a gap of 14 years. As per our estimation, the next cycle will be in 2019 or 2020.
As to the mystery of my own kurinji sighting referred to in post #252, the same report has an explanation.
Quote:
Called gurgi in Kannada, Strobilanthes kunthianus... is a shrub species found in the shola forests of Western Ghats. Some kurinji flowers bloom once in seven to eight years.

Last edited by dailydriver : 23rd October 2018 at 06:49.
dailydriver is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2018, 08:41   #257
Distinguished - BHPian

Looks like many people have traveled to Chikmagalur during the last weekend to see Kurinji flowers and got disappointed. This also led to some huge traffic jams.

Source: Link

Quote:
According to statistics maintained by the Forest Department, tourists visited the hill stations came on 2,961 bikes, 5,301 cars, 370 mini-vans and 16 buses, in three days, from Friday to Sunday. On an average 12,000 people visited the hill stations each day.
arun_josie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2018, 11:32   #258
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
got disappointed]
Disappointment was apparently the name of the game for a multitude of eager visitors. The following numbers however tell only half the story.
As per eye witnesses, hundreds of cars were stopped near the Town Canteen and a majority of them - excluding those who had prior booking - were sent back for want of space on the roads leading to the Giris. I personally came across stories of people who had a harrowing time trying to cut back their trips but unable to do so because no one would allow them to take a U-Turn. Also, for once, in a town known for its hospitality, many folks were found cursing their fate that wouldn't allow them to grab a bite of food in peace.

The following words, penned in a different context, could perhaps aptly summarise the fellings of tourists who were in Chikkamagaluru last weekend.
Quote:
Originally Posted by airguitar View Post
Of what use is that travel where you have to compete ( again ) with your fellowmen for resources ? Travel should be liberating, an escape from the rigmarole of life. If you find yourself fighting for that good position in a toll lane, for a good seat ( or even just any seat ) in a restaurant ( and I don't have to remind you of those situations when you can't even enjoy your meal, what with 'others' hanging around your table hoping that you will vacate your seat the next minute) , for a good room in a good hotel etc etc. Competition kills fun.
Old 31st October 2018, 22:30   #259
BHPian

Any advice on what the best route to Chikamagalur from Bangalore now would be. Planning on traveling with family (70+ year old, as well as 1 year old, included). We're going by two sedans. Any advice on routes is much appreciated.
Old 1st November 2018, 07:52   #260
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by p06rakeshb View Post
Any advice on what the best route to Chikamagalur from Bangalore now
I am unable to gauge the importance of the word now in the quoted sentence. Assuming that it has no added significance, the best, fastest and the easiest route is Bengaluru-Kunigal ByPass-Channarayapatna ByPass-Hassan-Belur-Chikkamagaluru. Four laned NH 75 till Hassan (with plenty of eateries on either sides) and two laned but decent roads after that.
dailydriver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2018, 09:00   #261
BHPian

Thank you dailydriver. We're leaving mid next week.
p06rakeshb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2018, 09:21   #262
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by p06rakeshb View Post
We're leaving mid next week.
Next week will be a bit crowded in Chikkamagaluru. With the Deepavali holidays and more importantly, a local, once a year tradition of visiting the Deviramma shrine atop a hill, Wednesday (7/11) will be very very busy. Do not even venture towards Mullayanagiri- Bababudangiri on that day. Other than that, there is nothing to worry as such.

Have a good time.

Welcome to the land of coffee!
dailydriver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2018, 11:51   #263
BHPian

We will be taking our 2018 plush XUV to Chikamagaluru from Bangalore this weekend. I plan on taking the route that @dailydriver has mentioned - thanks!

Are there any vista points or recommended small detours along the way? Any specific eateries that we should absolutely try out (the foodie in me wants to know)?
thejaguar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2018, 12:21   #264
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejaguar View Post
We will be taking our 2018 plush XUV to Chikamagaluru from Bangalore this weekend. I plan on taking the route that @dailydriver has mentioned - thanks!

Are there any vista points or recommended small detours along the way? Any specific eateries that we should absolutely try out (the foodie in me wants to know)?
I recently drove on the route suggested by dailydriver, it is the best route now. It took me about 4 hours to reach Chickamagalur from Bangalore courtesy an early morning start.
deehunk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th November 2018, 18:03   #265
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deehunk View Post
I recently drove on the route suggested by dailydriver, it is the best route now. It took me about 4 hours to reach Chickamagalur from Bangalore courtesy an early morning start.
Great - that't our plan too. Leave early Saturday morning and get there by lunch.
Old 15th November 2018, 20:28   #266
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Possible detours without loss of primary focus:

Bengaluru-Kunigal ByPass-Yediyuru Siddalingeshwara Temple-Bellur Cross-Adichunchanagiri Temple-Hirisave-Shravanabelagula-Channarayapatna ByPass-Hassan-Gorur Dam-Rosary Church Ruins-Doddagadavalli Temple-Hagare-Halebidu-Belur-Yagachi Dam-Yagachi Backwaters/Water Sports-Belavadi Temple-Chikkamagaluru

Eateries enroute:

Swathi Delicacy
Hotel Mayura @ Bellur Cross
A2B after Chennarayapatna
Swaad @ Hotel Raama in Hassan

and innumerable more. You are really spoilt for choice here.

Eateries in Chikkamagaluru:

Of the many, The Town Canteen is said to be a must visit for tourists.

PS: You can choose to visit a few places on the way back too, at your convenience.
dailydriver is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th November 2018, 22:10   #267
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
and innumerable more. You are really spoilt for choice here.
Fantastic - thanks much! We will likely visit a few of these places on the way in and check out a few others on the way back. This is my first time there, so really looking forward to it.

Last edited by aah78 : 15th November 2018 at 23:48. Reason: Please avoid quoting posts entirely. Alcohol reference removed.
thejaguar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th November 2018, 08:55   #268
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Fantastic - thanks much! We will likely visit a few of these places on the way in and check out a few others on the way back. This is my first time there, so really looking forward to it.
I would suggest Hotel Mayura Deluxe in Chikkamagalur for nice breakfast and coffee. It is normally crowded but there is service available for families.
deehunk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th November 2018, 22:21   #269
BHPian

Any idea how the Balehonnur - Aldur - Chikkamagaluru stretch currently is? TIA.
Old 19th November 2018, 12:19   #270
Senior - BHPian

The stretch between Aldur to Balehonnur is in decent condition, had been to Sringeri couple of weeks back.
deehunk is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks