Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th March 2022, 13:48   #391

Re: Bangalore to Chikmagalur - Best Route & Road Status?

Hi all,

We're planning a trip to Chikmagalur this coming weekend. The recommended route that shows up on Google Maps is:
Bangalore > Makali > Nelamangala > Kunigal > Bellur > Channarayapattana > Hassan > Belur > Yakashettihalli > Chikmagalur

We'll be driving in a Sedan so we'd want decent roads with some scenic beauty preferred. We don't mind taking a little longer route too if the roads/views are better.

Looking at the past responses in the thread, it looks like this route might be okay?
Can someone who has experience of this route or any others recommend if this is good or any other route we should look at?

We plan on leaving early morning ~6 AM to beat the traffic.

Thanks!
Old 8th March 2022, 15:12   #392
Senior - BHPian

aNerdyCarGuy, this the best route to Chikmagalur.

Last edited by deehunk : 8th March 2022 at 15:18.
deehunk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2022, 16:32   #393
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aNerdyCarGuy View Post
We're planning a trip to Chikmagalur this coming weekend. The recommended route that shows up on Google Maps is:
Bangalore > Makali > Nelamangala > Kunigal > Bellur > Channarayapattana > Hassan > Belur > Yakashettihalli > Chikmagalur
Yes, this is the mainstream route. Except for some small bad patches, the roads are good throughout. However, expect a lot of traffic on this section on a Saturday morning. Still this is the best route.

Quote:
We'll be driving in a Sedan so we'd want decent roads with some scenic beauty preferred. We don't mind taking a little longer route too if the roads/views are better.
Just to try another scenic route, you could try returning via Chikmagalur > Tarikere > Hosadurga > Hiriyur > Tumkur > Bangalore. This is a nicer road to drive on. More scenic and less traffic than your original route. But a bit longer in distance and time.

I usually do a loop drive when I drive to Chikmagalur. I go there via the first route you mentioned, and I return via the second route I mentioned . That gives me a good variety in the driving conditions and the landscapes around. This entire loop is good enough for a sedan. I have done this loop in a sedan many times and never had any problem.
Dr.AD is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 13th April 2022, 09:52   #394
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post

You could also consider Shikaripura - Hangal - Tadas which is a good road, and will get you close to Hubli.
Any update on the current status of the above route, I intend to take this tomorrow.
Old 13th April 2022, 12:12   #395
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsyFreak View Post
Any update on the current status of the above route, I intend to take this tomorrow.
Please avoid. Lots of bad patches that need careful driving, based on an update from friend who took this route last month.
procrj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2022, 12:27   #396
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
Please avoid. Lots of bad patches that need careful driving, based on an update from friend who took this route last month.
Thanks.

What would be a better route to reach Mundgod and then to Dandeli from Shivamogga.
I will be riding my bike (Himalayan).
Old 19th April 2022, 11:59   #397
BHPian

Rode this route last week from Shivamogga to Hanagal, road is good throughout and patches are very few and well flattened, not bumpy.
gypsyFreak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2022, 10:18   #398

Hello,

I'm planning to drive to Mudigere (Hosahalli) tomorrow morning for one-night stay.
What would be the best route to take from Whitefield?

Also considering the rains lashing all over Karnataka, is it safe to drive there in such conditions?
Old 20th May 2022, 13:18   #399
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmathur28 View Post
Hello,

I'm planning to drive to Mudigere (Hosahalli) tomorrow morning for one-night stay.
What would be the best route to take from Whitefield?

Also considering the rains lashing all over Karnataka, is it safe to drive there in such conditions?
it should be standard route - via ORR-Gorguntepalya-nelmangala-hassan-belur. seems like some construction ongoing near kunigal causing some delay. this link has more details
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route...udupi-617.html (The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi)
W@SIM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2022, 23:03   #400
BHPian

Hey Guys,

Planning for a family outing this Thursday 26th May 2022 from JP Nagar Bangalore to Chikmagalur.

Heard some construction work is creating traffic bottlenecks.. Hence any suggestions for route and also authentic breakfast and lunch stops on the way?

Plan to stop at Belur to visit chennakeshava temple And if time permits visit halebidu temple.

Any suggestions are welcome.
Old 30th May 2022, 15:29   #401

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajchetan View Post
Hey Guys,

Planning for a family outing this Thursday 26th May 2022 from JP Nagar Bangalore to Chikmagalur.

Heard some construction work is creating traffic bottlenecks.. Hence any suggestions for route and also authentic breakfast and lunch stops on the way?

Plan to stop at Belur to visit chennakeshava temple And if time permits visit halebidu temple.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Dhruvathare and Paakshala are good options for breakfast.
Empire restaurant near Hassan is good for lunch.
I went to Mudigere via Belur and found the normal route to be okay. Some diversions are there, but nothing major to alter the route in my opinion.
Old 4th July 2022, 00:12   #402
Senior - BHPian

Drove down to Chikmagalur last weekend from Bangalore, started around 7am from Yelahanka. NH75 from Nelamangala is nice and smooth till Bellur cross after which there are some diversions due to road widening (but nothing too bad, since the service roads are in good condition). Breakfast halt was Dhruvathare (its location on the left being the biggest draw).

Branching off from NH75 into Hassan, the ring road to Belur road is fine atleast traffic wise, thereafter it is a dual carriageway (so exercise caution as I experienced many a reckless overtaking attempt), with lesser options for eateries too. Yagachi reservoir is exactly enroute and the exquisite Belur temple is hardly a detour (visited both)

Chikmagalur as a town does not have too many sprawling resorts rather, homestays tucked away out of sight in lovely locales. I stayed at a quaint homestay The Vintage which has good access (although narrow) from the State Highway and more importantly more than adequate parking right outside each of the cottages within.

The drive to Mullayanagari was lovely amidst rain drenched, mist covered peaks.
Bangalore to Chikmagalur - Best Route & Road Status?-pxl_20220701_062302735.jpg
Bangalore to Chikmagalur - Best Route & Road Status?-pxl_20220701_062731970.jpg
Bangalore to Chikmagalur - Best Route & Road Status?-pxl_20220701_044057081.jpg

Do not miss the coffee board museum its lack of publicity notwithstanding, as the exhibits are really good, I also picked up coffee from Panduranga Coffee which seemed to be a very popular brand at Chikmagalur.

In hindsight I feel it is best to avoid weekends if you plan to drive to tourist spots like Baba Budangiri as the influx of vehicles and the ensuing snarls take the sheen out of the experience. A chance visit to a hidden gem Mallandur Sunset Point thanks to the homestay owner's suggestion was the highlight of the trip; despite the poor condition of the roads till the spot (mind your ground clearance, i did not risk it and walked the last mile)Bangalore to Chikmagalur - Best Route & Road Status?-pxl_20220701_120353031.jpg

Last edited by Aditya : 4th July 2022 at 21:12. Reason: As requested
GeeTee TSI is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 11th July 2022, 07:41   #403
Senior - BHPian

Chikkamagaluru and it’s surroundings have been battered by incessant rains. That schools have been closed for the better part of the last week and that even colleges have shut shop today and tomorrow should tell you the severity of the situation.

Any visit to the city invariably involves a drive to Mullayyanagiri and Bababudangiri - the two crowning glories. However, even with excellently made up roads, driving up these hills was risky, with misty skies, hot headed drivers and slowly collapsing road shoulders. There is in fact a proposal to stop all personal vehicle movements on these roads - something that the district administration is very keen on. If implemented, this will entail parking our rides near Kaimara checkpost and being forced to hire yellow board taxies registered with and approved by the department of tourism. This, the authorities believe, will keep the travellers safe while providing employment opportunities to the locals. Will the scheme succeed? We will wait and see.

x x x

That said, the reason that necessitated this post are the following news reports (Today’s Kannadaprabha).

SOME CHANGES

Bangalore to Chikmagalur - Best Route & Road Status?-2549d5fdc40d4fa3afb1f571004c446d.jpeg

CHANGES
1. Vehicles are to be allowed in two shifts, from 6-9 and 2-5 only. Each time slot will accommodate a maximum of 150 four wheelers and 1200 passengers. 2 two wheelers will be treated as one four wheeler.

2. Visitors who have valid bookings at government approved homestays and resorts will not be affected by the rule; nor will the locals residing in the vicinity.

SOMEWHERE ENROUTE MULLAYYANAGIRI

Bangalore to Chikmagalur - Best Route & Road Status?-3364c7c85cb1472bacd4df4b92fac1df.jpeg

Heard that the road has been cleared now.

x x x
Apart from this, roads and bridges have either been cut off or flooded in and around Mudigere, Kalasa, Balehonnur, Sringeri and Koppa too. So, if you are venturing anywhere near in the next few days, do talk to your hosts before starting.
dailydriver is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 25th July 2022, 22:51   #404
BHPian

Has anyone been towards Chikmagalur recently? I am planning in next 3 weeks (not the long weekend), is it advisable?
jphukan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2022, 11:49   #405
BHPian

Hi all, planning a trip to Chikmagalur this weekend. Plan is to leave bangalore early and catch the sun rising at mullayanagiri (aware that the checkpost opens only at 6 a.m).

2 Queries we had:

1. How are the internal road conditions in Chikmagalur now and are there any concerns we should be aware of.

2. What route would be best from ( Doddabanahalli, Whitefield )

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks